Slightly Mad Studios is Teasing an 'Absolutely Massive' Surprise

...Some can only talk about what they're full of...and if that happens to be crap....

Ian Bell has a habit of running his mouth. Embarrasingly so. SMS also has a habit of releasing games that, while promising, often times are buggy at the start. They also have a habit of more or less giving the finger to pad users by making it incedibly hard to control vehicles using this control method. People can say that the game isn't as buggy as before, or that pad controls are better but this genre has a habit of remembering these sorts of things, unfairly or not. In this case, I would say fairly. People, and companies, can change, but breaking one's trust in your words or products can lead to them being skeptical at anything you do, as this thread shows.

Besides...how many projects does SMS have in the pipe? Maybe it would be best to unveil a little bit more about those ones in particular before once again announcing another one.

Last edited:
Rough crowd.
PC1 Last update added N24 and VLN versions of track. It created a bug on those tracks. It was fixed on PC. Never fixed on PS4. Anyone posting about it on the official forum was banned for it. Let's be CLEAR. That was PAID DLC that didn't work as it should and they did NOTHING about it. Previously they had an advert on their website advertising the Indy 500 coming soon. To PC1. It was never released. That broke advertising LAW.

Rough crowd? Not even close.

PC1 Last update added N24 and VLN versions of track. It created a bug on those tracks. It was fixed on PC. Never fixed on PS4. Anyone posting about it on the official forum was banned for it. Let's be CLEAR. That was PAID DLC that didn't work as it should and they did NOTHING about it. Previously they had an advert on their website advertising the Indy 500 coming soon. To PC1. It was never released. That broke advertising LAW.

Another bug was on Silverstone Classic - another paid for DLC - getting stuck in the pit lane..........SMS, and Mr Bell claimed that the bug was fixed in a patch on console, it featured in console patch notes as being so, but it wasn't ever resolved........The game still has the bug to this day.

Still no closer..... ;)

Ian Bell has a habit of running his mouth. Embarrasingly so. SMS also has a habit of releasing games that, while promising, often times are buggy at the start. They also have a habit of more or less giving the finger to pad users by making it incedibly hard to control vehicles using this control method. People can say that the game isn't as buggy as before, or that pad controls are better but this genre has a habit of remembering these sorts of things, unfairly or not. In this case, I would say fairly. People, and companies, can change, but breaking one's trust in your words or products can lead to them being skeptical at anything you do, as this thread shows.

Besides...how many projects does SMS have in the pipe? Maybe it would be best to unveil a little bit more about those ones in particular before once again announcing another one.

I haven't seen many games released without bugs these days...some even come out with a first day patch.I don't see why SMS should be singled out for this,it's common practice these days to release a game and add fixes later.
I know for a fact that it was NOT SMS's intention to release the game the way it did but public pressure and an impatient publisher lead them to do so.
As for giving the finger to pad users:i've been a pad user all my gaming life and i was perfectly able to play it on my DS4 out of the box...i fiddled around with the settings at first and got nowhere until Andy G told me to try and play on the basic settings.So i persisted in doing so and got the hang of it pretty quick.

I find it hard to believe that people would get banned for pointing out a bug...Now the WAY they pointed it out,that could be a different story.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I personally took no part in their forum, or game for that matter, there used to be documentation on a few wrongful bannings back then. The slightest negative sentiment towards the game could get you banned, could be about a bug (politely reported!) or pointing out something incorrect on a car. PC1 days were very interesting from the outside.

While I personally took no part in their forum, or game for that matter, there used to be documentation on a few wrongful bannings back then. The slightest negative sentiment towards the game could get you banned, could be about a bug (politely reported!) or pointing out something incorrect on a car. PC1 days were very interesting from the outside.

HMMM...i've been there from the start and haven't seen anyone getting an unnecessary ban TBH...but maybe i could have missed one or two.
I do know the mods are pretty fair over there and ever since i became one as well (so being on the inside) i can assure you that no ban was ever given without proper reason...

HMMM...i've been there from the start and haven't seen anyone getting an unnecessary ban TBH...but maybe i could have missed one or two.
I do know the mods are pretty fair over there and ever since i became one as well (so being on the inside) i can assure you that no ban was ever given without proper reason...
I'm with Konan on this.

People, and companies, can change, but breaking one's trust in your words or products can lead to them being skeptical at anything you do, as this thread shows.
Okay, but from S2U to PCARS1 to PCARS2, observing the games as they turned out by the end of their post-release support, there is a crystal clear upward trend in terms of both polish and pad control. By my estimation, at least.

So although I'm as skeptical as you of the prospects for their next game right at launch, I have good reason to trust how it will turn out in the end -- not that that's the way things should be, of course, but very few other games I play fit the oft-repeated "everything is buggy and broken these days, only to be patched later" myth, so I can indulge without feeling like I'm feeding that pernicious (but nowhere near all-encompassing) trend.

The slightest negative sentiment towards the game could get you banned, could be about a bug (politely reported!) or pointing out something incorrect on a car. PC1 days were very interesting from the outside.
I can't agree. I personaly reported many bugs in the official forum, and I never received any warning. Yes I have some discussions about if something is a bug, is working correctly or is a design decision, but always in a polite way without any consecuences. Even I have a bug list in their forum that probably they don't like to see, but it's there and I never was censored. About modding in their forum also has change lately, and actual mods are doing a good job.

Last edited:
I can't agree. I personaly reported many bugs in the official forum, and I never received any warning. Yes I have some discussions about if something is a bug, is working correctly or is a design decision, but always in a polite way without any consecuences. Even I have a bug list in their forum that probably they don't like to see, but it's there and I never was censored. About modding in their forum also has change lately, and actual mods are doing a good job.
That back in PC1 days?

Sure PC1 got a quite some bugs,lots ironed out during support,but yes,some bugs stayed like the N24 bug that @Tired Tyres mentioned and also the Silverstone classic box bug online (offline it got fixed) like @HammyMansell mentioned.

But I've been also on the official forum and I'm with @Konan and @Asturbo ,if you're polite in the way you discuss or report something they don't ban you.

PC2 came out with quite less bugs and issues than PC1 and also during support they ironed out quite some amount,is it perfect? Nope, which game is nowadays btw?!

Look to GT Sport....made from a first party studio with lot of real good Devs,and the personalised online lobby's are still with anoying bugs and issues since launch,even some known from GT6 back in 2013.

So if a big first party studio like PD has bugs and issues like that..., smaller Studios like SMS or Kunos and multiplatform can be aplouded for their job and support for sure.

And yes ,Ian Bell can be an arrogant strange guy, talking sometimes to much and promising more than what he should,but I thank him and SMS to bring two great racing Sims this generation on PS4 that gived to me a lot of enjoyment online and offline.

:cheers::gtpflag:

Okay, but from S2U to PCARS1 to PCARS2, observing the games as they turned out by the end of their post-release support, there is a crystal clear upward trend in terms of both polish and pad control. By my estimation, at least.

So although I'm as skeptical as you of the prospects for their next game right at launch, I have good reason to trust how it will turn out in the end -- not that that's the way things should be, of course, but very few other games I play fit the oft-repeated "everything is buggy and broken these days, only to be patched later" myth, so I can indulge without feeling like I'm feeding that pernicious (but nowhere near all-encompassing) trend.

Speaking of pad playability. I responded to an ask me anything tweet about PC3 pad support. My anticipation went up by 5%.

38465B91-0ECA-481F-BEFB-D07EE38EFC89.jpeg

It's totally not suspicious how all these people claiming to be mods, admins and devs jump to PCARS' defence whenever anything negative is said a forum or reddit. Absolutely not suspicious in the slightest whatsoever...

...how's SouljaGame 2.0 working out for you guys?

It's totally not suspicious how all these people claiming to be mods, admins and devs jump to PCARS' defence whenever anything negative is said a forum or reddit. Absolutely not suspicious in the slightest whatsoever...

...how's SouljaGame 2.0 working out for you guys?

So you feel it's normal that whenever SMS announces something it's ok to all jump in and attack?
The knife cuts both ways... It's easy talking dirt behind someone's back, especially when you're certain that person is not around to answer.(something threads like these made sure of)
That is one of the reasons i'm here stating my points. Oh, and i'm not in any way "ordered" to do so...
"Claiming to be mod?" what would i have to gain with that? Visit the forum and you'll know i'm not talking out of my a** here.
I'm not affraid to show my colors either, I'm known everywhere as "Konan" and i don't need to go undercover out of the PCARS forums...

So you feel it's normal that whenever SMS announces something it's ok to all jump in and attack?
As long as people abide by our acceptable use policy, they are entitled to pass whatever opinion they wish. If they feel that the track record of the studio in question of delivering on its promises is not great, they may say so. If you feel that they are wrong, you may also say so. This applies across our forums, regardless of game/studio.
It's easy talking dirt behind someone's back, especially when you're certain that person is not around to answer.(something threads like these made sure of)
GTPlanet's board software notifies users if they have been quoted, or if a user has tagged them - like this: @Konan (although you'll get a reply notification, rather than a tag notification). Users can also watch threads, and the forum software will notify them of any reply of any kind. Nothing is done behind someone's back except private Conversation messages.

I'm not sure whose back this thread is supposed to be behind, but it's the comments thread for an article posted directly onto GTPlanet's front page - I know, because I wrote it. That's as in-your-face as it gets here.

If it's SMS whose backs this thread is behind, Nathan Bell "liked" our Tweet about the article (to which this thread is linked) and @IanBell is a GTPlanet member. And I just tagged him.

Indeed, so they shouldn't question my integrity if i answer back.
And so far all i defended was the way the pCARS forum is being moderated, which in no way is as described.
FWIW i liked the article and found it well written and without prejudice.

Indeed, so they shouldn't question my integrity if i answer back.
And so far all i defended was the way the pCARS forum is being moderated, which in no way is as described.
FWIW i liked the article and found it well written and without prejudice.

Don't get me wrong, I had so much fun on PCARS1, got into the CRAP Club here on GTP and FB, made a few racing friends, won championships. have become a small time YouTuber, and god knows what else.

PCARS 1 was a game changer for me on console, and racing games in general with all its modes and functions, and it was up to then, the best racing game I'd ever driven.

Just past a pretty big milestone for me (or anyone with any hobby) 20 years sim racing. I think back to the late 90's and it's just crazy how much it's evolved, specifically within software the last 6 or so years. The hardware has moved forward as expected even though I thought we'd see $500 DDs by now.

I guess at this point in the hobby I'm ready to see something 'Absolutely Massive'.

Probably going off the deep end here but I really don't think we need to push the physics/graphics much further, I don't need to race in 8K or have 1000hz FFB.
We need to push the life of a race driver story forward, stop laser scanning trees and start laser scanning drivers lives on track.
If I wreck my car my race is over, technical infringements, fines, penalties, the lot.

I'm tired of hotlapping all of you cause at the end of the day that's all we're doing out here, driving around in circles with each other.
For those of you that understand I need not type more.

I remember before PC2 launched Ian Bell was saying that he had been playing on a controller more than a wheel and it was a massive improvement over the original.

And it was, it went from being nearly unplayable in PC1 to somewhat decent in PC2 (even good with the right setup). Granted it's still a ways off from what we see with other developers, but there was certainly a big move in the right direction with PC2.

I remember before PC2 launched Ian Bell was saying that he had been playing on a controller more than a wheel and it was a massive improvement over the original.

And it was, it went from being nearly unplayable in PC1 to somewhat decent in PC2 (even good with the right setup). Granted it's still a ways off from what we see with other developers, but there was certainly a big move in the right direction with PC2.

Not for me, playing with PS4 controller in PC 1 was much better that playing with a controller in PC 2 for me, I never got the right setup for the controller in PC 2 and I stopped playing PC 2 long before I finished the game, I finished all single player content in PC 1.

And so far, Project Cars games is the only racing games I had/have to mess with with the setup to get the controller to work good enough so I could play the games, in all other racing games (like AC, GT games, Dirt 4 and Dirt Rally) the default setup controller "just works" (Tod Howards famous words :).)

Last edited:
Too many negative people here. I just don’t know what’s to gain by that. It’s as if the trolls believe they can influence SMS to do... well, what exactly? Let the company hype the future. What’s wrong with that? We win in the end and it gives us something to look forward to.

PC2 is an extremely deep game for a console. My goodness, start adding up all the features and you can’t find a console racer that is a third of this game. 2 years later and many of us are having a great time, STILL

And, for the persons who attack the DLC, all I can say is “What“? I have all the DLC and it’s worth double what I paid for it.

GTS can release 40 more tracks over the next 5 years and it would still be woefully behind PC2.

It’s not perfect. It has its share of issues, like any racer, or any game of any genre, for that matter. Let’s hope a fair amount of our wishlist items and some of those issues are resolved in the next game.

positive thinking, positive vibes for SMS

Back