*SMALL* things that PD could implement in GT6

• Thread starter magawolaz
  • 160 comments
Mileage for all tracks displayed in "Status" screen - this data is already in the save file.

Drop down menu for manufacturers in the garage:

Japan>click>reveal all Japanese manufactures. Instead of scrolling through everything.

Yes a massive increase in the stats available on the status screen. What is there now is a good start, but we could have so much more for stat obsessives like me!

And, it was mentioned in the OP message, but display the mileage of each car in the car selection screen, and be able to sort the order of the car selection screen based on mileage.

Mileage for all tracks displayed in "Status" screen - this data is already in the save file.

Drop down menu for manufacturers in the garage:

Japan>click>reveal all Japanese manufactures. Instead of scrolling through everything.
Stats, stats...and...more stats. We do love our stats don't we? Mileage for cars, mileage on tracks, fastest laps recorded for each car at each track that stays with the car not just the track, a limitless laptime database for each track that also tracks the PP/HP/Weight/Tire data, top speeds for each car at each track, online races won/average finish/average qualifying position etc. The hardcore GT community would make good use of these stats for their own personal enjoyment and for comparison purposes and I would think it would be relatively easy to do it's just compiling data.

I feel like I've for asked this a million times, but:

-Change the wear rates and grip levels on all the racing tires so that they're balanced with each other in long races (the grippiest tire dominates currently)

-Separate refueling and tire changes during pit stops

-Reset the hp values for LMP cars so that they have what they ran at LM. No, turning the power limiter down is not the same with the flat power curves.

-Change the fuel tank limits on A LOT of cars. Most cars in the game have 100L. For example, Fisker Karma has 20L or something like that.

-Add units to the downforce numbers in the tuning menu.
Missed this post before - could you please expand on point 2, 3 and 5?
I'm not 100% sure I understand what you mean/why would you want that (combination of me neither being an expert in cars/GT6 nor a native english speaker probably :lol:) (in fact I'm not even sure my last sentence is correct)

Last edited:
- filter on car type (normal, race, cart?) in car search and garage
- keep choosen sort order for car selection ( I always want to sort on pp and it always reverts back to last use date, every time :banghead:
- show tuning description in car list (or 'stock' when not tuned)

YZF
I'm not sure that's an easy fix. I have experience modding raw handling files (used to create my own GTA4 handling lines from others') and while you can set a top speed, that isn't a hard barrier that acceleration just stops at. Rather, it's based more around several other factors: acceleration, gearing, mass, suspension data, drag coefficient, etc. Using these factors, the game works out what the car's top speed should be according to its physics engine, so the top speed that you set is not actually all that important, and at least in the GTA4 version of the RAGE engine, the quicker the acceleration, the shorter the top speed (to a point). In many cases you can either have the real car's acceleration or top speed, but not both, so you have to choose. If that's what it is that's creating the glitch, then I definitely think PD made the right choice to go with realistic acceleration over top speed, because obviously there aren't that many straights in the game where you're going to see any car's actual top speed.

Long story short: fixing the "top speed glitch" wouldn't be as simple as writing a few kilobytes of code. More than likely they'd have to rework a significant amount of the physics engine and then go back and adjust each car's handling lines/files/whatever separately, which could result in several gigabytes of code needing to be rewritten or created. It's not a "super easy fix" as you say.

Last edited:
[...] Long story short: fixing the "top speed glitch" wouldn't be as simple as writing a few kilobytes of code. More than likely they'd have to rework a significant amount of the physics engine and then go back and adjust each car's handling lines/files/whatever separately, which could result in several gigabytes of code needing to be rewritten or created. It's not a "super easy fix" as you say.
"Super easy fix" was actually the first title of this thread before I changed it, anyway good write up 👍

I'm not sure that's an easy fix. I have experience modding raw handling files (used to create my own GTA4 handling lines from others') and while you can set a top speed, that isn't a hard barrier that acceleration just stops at. Rather, it's based more around several other factors: acceleration, gearing, mass, suspension data, drag coefficient, etc. Using these factors, the game works out what the car's top speed should be according to its physics engine, so the top speed that you set is not actually all that important, and at least in the GTA4 version of the RAGE engine, the quicker the acceleration, the shorter the top speed (to a point). In many cases you can either have the real car's acceleration or top speed, but not both, so you have to choose. If that's what it is that's creating the glitch, then I definitely think PD made the right choice to go with realistic acceleration over top speed, because obviously there aren't that many straights in the game where you're going to see any car's actual top speed.

Long story short: fixing the "top speed glitch" wouldn't be as simple as writing a few kilobytes of code. More than likely they'd have to rework a significant amount of the physics engine and then go back and adjust each car's handling lines/files/whatever separately, which could result in several gigabytes of code needing to be rewritten or created. It's not a "super easy fix" as you say.
You sound like this is reinventing the wheel. I don't know of another game calling itself a "sim" that has this issue, and certainly nothing approaching the scale of GT. On top of that it was mostly correct in GT5 so not only is it not reinventing the wheel, they invented the wheel more than 4 years ago, then took it off the car and replaced it with wooden tires...to coin a phrase.

We all know the code isn't simple, but when other people in the same industry that are a fraction of the size of PD can get this right, and they themselves got it right in the last version of the game, it just sounds like you're making excuses for shoddy workmanship.

You sound like this is reinventing the wheel. I don't know of another game calling itself a "sim" that has this issue, and certainly nothing approaching the scale of GT. On top of that it was mostly correct in GT5 so not only is it not reinventing the wheel, they invented the wheel more than 4 years ago, then took it off the car and replaced it with wooden tires...to coin a phrase.

We all know the code isn't simple, but when other people in the same industry that are a fraction of the size of PD can get this right, and they themselves got it right in the last version of the game, it just sounds like you're making excuses for shoddy workmanship.
Hear me out. While it is the same basic physics engine, they've reworked it significantly from the ground up with new aero physics, new suspension physics, and I'm sure quite a lot of other stuff as well. So what's really happened between GT5 and now is that they've already reinvented the wheel, and now to fix the top speed issue they'd have to un-invent it and then re-reinvent it, if that makes any sense. Even if it was one silly little typo in the new code, they'd still have to go back and readjust quite a significant amount of other code to account for the change. Say it was a typo in the portion of the physics engine that handles the physics of a pound: they'd have to go and readjust everything where weight simulation is a factor, which not only includes the simulation of weight movement (obviously) but also downforce simulation, mass simulation, tire load simulation, part weight simulation, center-of-gravity simulation and a million other things. That's because usually if a typo makes it into a release, that means the company doesn't know it exists. So the employees have to work around the issue and try to simulate things to the best of their ability while looking for whatever's causing top speeds to be simulated incorrectly. Therefore a significant portion of code is built around the flawed version of the engine as the developers have had to compensate for its imperfections.

Why was the game released with a top speed glitch? Maybe the issue was known during testing and they couldn't fix it in time for release, or maybe they were in the process of fixing it by the deadline so they had to put out an imperfect version and try to fix it with patches. I'm leaning towards the latter option as that would explain why some cars' top speeds are modeled correctly while others aren't.

FS7
Talking about paint, when custom gauges got released I noticed that I could choose any color I wanted for custom gauges, adjust hue, saturation & brightness. I wish PD would allow players to use that system for painting cars, that would be a lot better than the dumb paint chip system.

Another interesting thing to add: when entering an event, be it career or seasonals, there's a "eligible cars" button that shows every car in my garage that can be used in that event. PD should also add a "dealership" button that shows every car in the dealership that can be used in the event. That would be very practical.

I like the idea of at least a RGB for cars but there are some paint chips that look nice and may be difficult to recreate with RGB and paint finish edit so why not add custom paints and keep the chips there to use if you so please

I am sure this is not the case. Please check that link, you can see that GT5 has everything correct. So PD knows how to do that and it is not hard (all other sim-racing games on PC have implemented it correctly). And it's not about adjusting each car's data, PD just needs to update/fix physics engine. One setting which affects car aero resistance in the game. On any car.

Hear me out. While it is the same basic physics engine, they've reworked it significantly from the ground up with new aero physics, new suspension physics, and I'm sure quite a lot of other stuff as well. So what's really happened between GT5 and now is that they've already reinvented the wheel, and now to fix the top speed issue they'd have to un-invent it and then re-reinvent it, if that makes any sense. Even if it was one silly little typo in the new code, they'd still have to go back and readjust quite a significant amount of other code to account for the change. Say it was a typo in the portion of the physics engine that handles the physics of a pound: they'd have to go and readjust everything where weight simulation is a factor, which not only includes the simulation of weight movement (obviously) but also downforce simulation, mass simulation, tire load simulation, part weight simulation, center-of-gravity simulation and a million other things. That's because usually if a typo makes it into a release, that means the company doesn't know it exists. So the employees have to work around the issue and try to simulate things to the best of their ability while looking for whatever's causing top speeds to be simulated incorrectly. Therefore a significant portion of code is built around the flawed version of the engine as the developers have had to compensate for its imperfections.

Why was the game released with a top speed glitch? Maybe the issue was known during testing and they couldn't fix it in time for release, or maybe they were in the process of fixing it by the deadline so they had to put out an imperfect version and try to fix it with patches. I'm leaning towards the latter option as that would explain why some cars' top speeds are modeled correctly while others aren't.
Oh I hear you, I just don't believe you. As I said and as @YZF reiterated above they already got it right so they know how it's done, every other "sim" does this very well and it's not rocket surgery. For this and other major flaws in the physics I don't classify GT in the sim category anymore, I think it's more simcade, and perhaps that makes the top speed flaw ok.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but I think they need to implement separate fuel and tyre depletion when online. This is so you can set tyres to 'Fast' and Fuel to 'Normal' to give people (mainly organised groups) a chance to do tyre strategy races instead of having to sit for 2 minutes refuelling just because you wanted to have the tyres wear down fast and force tyre conservation and pit strategies in longer races...

I also think they should add a basic livery editor. Something that allows for pre-set designs, much like GRID, pCARS, PGR4, The Crew etc. I would like an advanced one but a basic one would be more than good enough for most people. Doing the preset designs would stop people going online with profanities and there'd be no copyright issues or licensing issues as PD have all of the control over what is allowed on the cars. All they need is a set of 40 liveries and then allow colour adjustment for the sections. Even with 20 colours and 4 paintable sections that makes 4845 available unique designs on 1 preset design alone. And 20 colours is nothing, you get more in the average crayon set...

A pre-set design from GRID and already looks so much better than GT's Base Models...

eNxkMRo.jpg

All GT6 (or 7) would need is something like this. It's basic, policable and much better than what we currently have. That for me is the most important 'simple' thing to add for people who race online in groups or just like to make racing cars look genuine in photos.

I'd like to be able to manually fast-forward/rewind during replays, rather than having to skip forward/back and repeatedly tap the "play" button in order to get to a specific moment.

Forza Motorsport 4 had a system whereby you could control the video using the triggers; pressing down on them harder would fast-forward/rewind quicker.

YZF
I am sure this is not the case. Please check that link, you can see that GT5 has everything correct. So PD knows how to do that and it is not hard (all other sim-racing games on PC have implemented it correctly). And it's not about adjusting each car's data, PD just needs to update/fix physics engine. One setting which affects car aero resistance in the game. On any car.
Oh I hear you, I just don't believe you. As I said and as @YZF reiterated above they already got it right so they know how it's done, every other "sim" does this very well and it's not rocket surgery. For this and other major flaws in the physics I don't classify GT in the sim category anymore, I think it's more simcade, and perhaps that makes the top speed flaw ok.
2 very extensive write-ups explaining why this isn't an easy fix going into the great details of coding from someone who very clearly knows what they know about, and is very clearly very intelligent, and you dismiss it as "Others can do it so..."? I mean really...?

So all of a sudden they've become terrible? No. Think about it. Either someone made an honest mistake or they ran into hardware limitations and that caused the physics to go weird in places.

I could discuss how hardware limitations would impact physics, but you wouldn't believe me since everyone around here all of a sudden wants to believe that it's PD's ineptitude that's causing any issues, all other factors be damned. So I won't.

So all of a sudden they've become terrible? No. Think about it. Either someone made an honest mistake or they ran into hardware limitations and that caused the physics to go weird in places.

I could discuss how hardware limitations would impact physics, but you wouldn't believe me since everyone around here all of a sudden wants to believe that it's PD's ineptitude that's causing any issues, all other factors be damned. So I won't.
I don't know, have they become terrible? How does one make an honest mistake in coding by altering code that worked in GT5 for three years and then not fix that mistake in an entire year? Did they or did they not have the same hardware limitations on GT5? Answer: yes. Which doesn't explain why all of a sudden they can't get the top speed of a car right and can't correct it for a year, and don't acknowledge it anywhere either.

I don't know, have they become terrible? How does one make an honest mistake in coding by altering code that worked in GT5 for three years and then not fix that mistake in an entire year? Did they or did they not have the same hardware limitations on GT5? Answer: yes. Which doesn't explain why all of a sudden they can't get the top speed of a car right and can't correct it for a year, and don't acknowledge it anywhere either.
By making a typo; altering code does still require typing, after all. They still use keyboards, so sometimes fingers slip or someone accidentally punches the wrong key. And bugfixing isn't a simple as clicking a big button to automatically fix all errors and warnings. Sometimes it can be as tedious as finding one simple misplaced bracket in several million lines of code; if that were the case, would you blame them for not being able to find it? It would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

Now, since you asked for it, I'll explain how hardware can impact physics, and I'll try to keep it as short as possible. Many people think that the CPU does most of the work while running a game, when in fact it doesn't; the GPU does most of the work. Any PC gamer will tell you that you can get by with a mediocre CPU as long as your graphics card/setup is good. Why? Because the GPU is in charge of coloring the pixels on the screen. That seems relatively simple, but in order to determine what color those pixels need to be, it needs to address several parts of the game's code. It needs to keep track of where cars are and then move them around based on what the physics engine says what cars should do in the circumstances they're in at the moment. It also needs to keep track of the surface of the course, the surface of the barriers, mesh bounds, collision bounds, collision surface types and other things. The reason it needs to keep track of the barrier surfaces is so it can tell the sound card/chip what the type of barrier is so that the sound chip can adjust car sounds, ambient sounds and sound effects according to the sound physics engine, so there's also at least one sound thread running off of the GPU. On top of that, it also has to compute lighting data, control AI and do other rudimentary things, so even though the CPU does carry out some limited behind-the-scenes operations, most of the stress is on the GPU, which is why in gaming enthusiast systems the GPU(s) are almost always at least as powerful as the CPU, if not more.

Long story short: the more advanced physics in GT6 are probably simply too much for the PS3's ancient GPU to handle, which is why they're off in places: because the GPU simply can't deal with all the code being thrown at it.

And unless you can prove me categorically wrong with facts and not just opinions, I'd appreciate it if you didn't reply. (Sorry if that last bit came off as a bit snide.)

Last edited:
By making a typo; altering code does still require typing, after all. They still use keyboards, so sometimes fingers slip or someone accidentally punches the wrong key. And bugfixing isn't a simple as clicking a big button to automatically fix all errors and warnings. Sometimes it can be as tedious as finding one simple misplaced bracket in several million lines of code; if that were the case, would you blame them for not being able to find it? It would be like finding a needle in a haystack.

Now, since you asked for it, I'll explain how hardware can impact physics, and I'll try to keep it as short as possible. Many people think that the CPU does most of the work while running a game, when in fact it doesn't; the GPU does most of the work. Any PC gamer will tell you that you can get by with a mediocre CPU as long as your graphics card/setup is good. Why? Because the GPU is in charge of coloring the pixels on the screen. That seems relatively simple, but in order to determine what color those pixels need to be, it needs to address several parts of the game's code. It needs to keep track of where cars are and then move them around based on what the physics engine says what cars should do in the circumstances they're in at the moment. It also needs to keep track of the surface of the course, the surface of the barriers, mesh bounds, collision bounds, collision surface types and other things. The reason it needs to keep track of the barrier surfaces is so it can tell the sound card/chip what the type of barrier is so that the sound chip can adjust car sounds, ambient sounds and sound effects according to the sound physics engine, so there's also at least one sound thread running off of the GPU. On top of that, it also has to compute lighting data, control AI and do other rudimentary things, so even though the CPU does carry out some limited behind-the-scenes operations, most of the stress is on the GPU, which is why in gaming enthusiast systems the GPU(s) are almost always at least as powerful as the CPU, if not more.

Long story short: the more advanced physics in GT6 are probably simply too much for the PS3's ancient GPU to handle, which is why they're off in places: because the GPU simply can't deal with all the code being thrown at it.

And unless you can prove me categorically wrong with facts and not just opinions, I'd appreciate it if you didn't reply. (Sorry if that last bit came off as a bit snide.)
You have an entire post that is pure speculation, not a single fact or proof of any kind whatsoever related to the actual coding of GT6, pure conjecture from start to finish, and you don't want me to respond unless I have facts and not opinions? Excuse me for a second...

tumblr_inline_naa3zbN8Kg1sbb9md.gif

The ability to choose either a full sequential dog box and non dog box.

Wouldn't be hard for them to do either. All they would have to do is fix the day 1 issue with this game and it will be fine.

Just still irritates me that they still have been too lazy to fix it

Last edited:
You have an entire post that is pure speculation, not a single fact or proof of any kind whatsoever related to the actual coding of GT6, pure conjecture from start to finish, and you don't want me to respond unless I have facts and not opinions? Excuse me for a second...

tumblr_inline_naa3zbN8Kg1sbb9md.gif
"Pure conjecture" based off of facts I've read in Maximum PC, on the PCARS forum, and other sources, not to mention drawn from personal CSS coding experience.

And could you please get rid of that insulting gif? It's just condescending.

"Pure conjecture" based off of facts I've read in Maximum PC, on the PCARS forum, and other sources, not to mention drawn from personal CSS coding experience.

And could you please get rid of that insulting gif? It's just condescending.

Johnny

"Not a single fact or proof of any kind whatsoever related to the actual coding of GT6"
Your post is entirely just made up stuff that may be possible but you have no idea whether the specific issues you mentioned apply to GT6 or not.

spec·u·la·tion
ˌspekyəˈlāSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. 1.
    the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.
    "there has been widespread speculation that he plans to quit"
I don't use gifs or memes often but in this case it's entirely appropriate. You have an entire post of conjecture and speculation as to what might be possible in the coding of GT6 and then warn me not to respond unless I have facts. It's laughable, hence the gif.

Last edited:
Your post is entirely just made up stuff that may be possible but you have no idea whether the specific issues you mentioned apply to GT6 or not.

spec·u·la·tion
ˌspekyəˈlāSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. 1.
    the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.
    "there has been widespread speculation that he plans to quit"
I don't use gifs or memes often but in this case it's entirely appropriate. You have an entire post of conjecture and speculation as to what might be possible in the coding of GT6 and then warn me not to respond unless I have facts. It's laughable, hence the gif.
Of course I don't know anything about the coding of GT6. However there are certain constants throughout coding, such as you don't run heavy-duty code on the CPU unless you're either stupid or creating a Java game. I also know that every game has multiple coding threads that deal with different portions of the game. I also know that more complex code creates more work for the system and that can cause things to break if the code pushes the system beyond its limits. I also know that even one misplaced character, one little tiny little infinitesimal typo or missing character, can break the whole thing. I know these things for facts and yet you continue to refute everything I say simply because I'm saying that maybe one of these things is what's causing it and stating that maybe it's not such a simple fix. I'm not defending them and I'm definitely not saying that such an error is OK - I'm just pointing something out.

And I know what speculation is. Dammit! Why does everyone here seem to think I'm stupid?

That's all you had to say...
Did you not even read the rest of my post?

Personally I see no reason why you had to attack me when all I was doing was pointing out that the fix may not be so simple.

How hard do you guys think it would be for PD to take an existing premium car model and modify the model to create another premium car?

This is something I thought of for a while. I figured if it's actually easy for PD to do, they could easily bring quite a few standard cars to premium status and incorporate some new cars while they're at it.

Last edited:
Back