SNAIL Race of Champions

• Thread starter Rednose58
  • 519 comments
@Alex ONeill, @Rob Brown, @Whitey093, @msgt-sd, @JLBowler, @Ricky_Blayz, @TBongX, @leadfootedbud, @lllTrick, @TomMang_68, @Engmatic1, @turnupdaheat, @basswerks1, @Ness @WSK96, @socalnatv, @racingchamp30, @aerolite

I see the post about the new registration form for Friday February 12. The drivers that were on the final list last week has first right of refusal. Please register (Yes or No) before 10:30 PM Eastern Time on Thursday February 11

Why is there a new registration form for Friday the 12th? I didn't know about the new form. I already listed I wanted to be in the one last Friday, I would assume you would of known I want to be in this Friday's ROC. Now it's Friday and I missed the deadline for filling out the form. Now, I don't know if I've been added, since I showed last week or am I now late and can't race on Friday Night's ROC?

Why is there a new registration form for Friday the 12th? I didn't know about the new form. I already listed I wanted to be in the one last Friday, I would assume you would of known I want to be in this Friday's ROC. Now it's Friday and I missed the deadline for filling out the form. Now, I don't know if I've been added, since I showed last week or am I now late and can't race on Friday Night's ROC?

I hope that's the case for at least a few people so we can race tonight.

@MajorBlixem @Die_Birdy_Die @msgt-sd

I am on the road tonight and Major and Birdy will steward. I sugesst to open the room at 9:00 PM Eastern Time and see how many people show up. If needed, the stewards can jump in and race together. If you have more than 6 or 7 racers, I think it will still be worth while. Come on - we are SNAILS

@Alex ONeill @TBongX @racingchamp30 @socalnatv @lllTrick @turnupdaheat @leadfootedbud @basswerks1 @Ness @Ricky_Blayz @TomMang_68

I'll be there.

I had a busy week. I was hoping we have enough participants for this Friday, but it looks like there is less enthusiasm than what we expected. I'll post a reminder in the Main thread.

For me it wasn't a lack of enthusiasm, it just wasn't possible to make the event tonight.
I'm happy to see that you guys have brought this event back, and I really wanted to finish and see how the new format worked out.
That being said, I hope it sticks around, and I'm in a position in the future to participate again.

We had a good turn out last night with 7. IMO the times are stretched out a little to far. The D1's can get their but don't have the time required to work through the traffic, and that was only for the autumn ring race.

Here are the results of last night's race. Makes for some interesting reading material. Connection wise the evening was flawless. Nobody had any connection issues. I liked the relaxed atmosphere we had it the room, it made it a very enjoyable evening.

ROC Jan 2016.jpg

We had a good turn out last night with 7. IMO the times are stretched out a little to far. The D1's can get their but don't have the time required to work through the traffic, and that was only for the autumn ring race.

I agree with birdie...

The time delay starts seem to work better on the tracks that offer more places to pass and more room to accomplish this.
I think the time delays set for each racer this time around would have been more accurate had we all been up to speed on the tracks being used. Autumn ring reverse didn't seem to work as well as the other two. I feel that even if the d2-1 racers did catch up they would have had a hard time passing on autumn ring as it is a very easy track to control space on.

I like the idea of ROC imo however I feel that something is missing from it to really make it work. To give it the excitement/ interest from those involved.

One suggestion I have to add to the idea of ROC is the following. Instead of selecting the top two from each div with wild card spots. Why not consider having each division vote on who they think deserves to go to the race of champions for that season. The two race members with the most votes go on to ROC.

someone mentioned that ROC is not about pts and is kind of like the all star game in hockey or basketball.
Well, the players that go to the Allstar game are voted on by the people ( in this case the other drivers) why not consider setting it up like this? If it's not about pts then make it about those that raced well or earned the respect of there peers to be able to attend the event.

I also think we should at least record the podium placements. Although pts don't matter it is still nice to make a podium finish and to set a modest goal for all who attend. After all racing, regardless if it "counts" or not still has to have a carrot at the end of the stick to make it interesting :). Just a thought.
*Edit: This was done already I spoke too soon.

Despite the small turn out it was still a good idea. and, imo with a little tweaking it could become a great addition to the SNAIL layout.

Last edited:
Here are the results of last night's race. Makes for some interesting reading material. Connection wise the evening was flawless. Nobody had any connection issues. I liked the relaxed atmosphere we had it the room, it made it a very enjoyable evening.

View attachment 514196

Did not realize that you had set this up! This is the "Carrot" i was talking about :). cool

I agree with birdie...

The time delay starts seem to work better on the tracks that offer more places to pass and more room to accomplish this.
I think the time delays set for each racer this time around would have been more accurate had we all been up to speed on the tracks being used. Autumn ring reverse didn't seem to work as well as the other two. I feel that even if the d2-1 racers did catch up they would have had a hard time passing on autumn ring as it is a very easy track to control space on.
Not what I meant at all actually. Autumn ring is one of the few tracks that IMO was successful everyone was in a group with 3 or 4 laps to go. As for passing autumn ring as 3 solid passing zones. If you know how to use them.

One suggestion I have to add to the idea of ROC is the following. Instead of selecting the top two from each div with wild card spots. Why not consider having each division vote on who they think deserves to go to the race of champions for that season. The two race members with the most votes go on to ROC.
this is a quick week after event voting could/would take at least 3 days and those people would have to then immediate confirm by Thursday to lock the field for friday.
someone mentioned that ROC is not about pts and is kind of like the all star game in hockey or basketball.
Well, the players that go to the Allstar game are voted on by the people ( in this case the other drivers) why not consider setting it up like this? If it's not about pts then make it about those that raced well or earned the respect of there peers to be able to attend the event.

I also think we should at least record the podium placements. Although pts don't matter it is still nice to make a podium finish and to set a modest goal for all who attend. After all racing, regardless if it "counts" or not still has to have a carrot at the end of the stick to make it interesting :). Just a thought
I'm as surprised as you that it wasn't posted but normally it would be with full race results, in fact it use to be broadcast live (like a GTP series race)
Despite the small turn out it was still a good idea. and, imo with a little tweaking it could become a great addition to the SNAIL layout.
Glad you had fun!

Not what I meant at all actually. Autumn ring is one of the few tracks that IMO was successful everyone was in a group with 3 or 4 laps to go. As for passing autumn ring as 3 solid passing zones. If you know how to use them.

The passing zones you mention are easily clogged up by aggressive defensive driving. Autumn ring is a very difficult track to pass on without being too imposing on the other driver. And in ROC we are trying not to impose as much as we would during race night. Which makes it all the more difficult. Not a big deal however I like this track and combo (I picked it). It just doesn't lend itself to the ROC setup as nicely as I'd have hoped.

wait there was another registration? I had no idea. Guess I'm not in then. That blows. would have been a ton of fun.

February 2016 Race of Champions

Date: Friday, March 11, 2016
Time: 9:30 PM ET

2016-03-05_SNAIL_Feb_2016_RoC_Combos.JPG

Driver Seeding

2016-03-05_SNAIL_Feb_2016_RoC_Driver_List.JPG

Registration Form
Fill out the form linked above to register for the event. The registration deadline is 10:30 PM ET, Thursday, March 10th. We ask that all drivers listed here, including the reserve drivers, fill out the form indicating their availability (Yes or No) for the event.

Automatic Qualifiers:

@lllTrick, @o8_jedi, @Ricky_Blayz, @MajorBlixem, @Alex ONeill, @USERID_77a23, @TBongX, @JamCar0ne, @Ness, @TEX36, @Kgffy, @Wolfsatz, @Drewspeed, @CoachMK21

Reserve Drivers:
@singlepaddy, @src_ej6, @socalnatv, @Grandpa Money

I will not be participating.
Thank you anyway.

Driver's List as it stands right now
List  3-9.jpg

Both src_ej6 and Sand_68 are in the race. Great field with 11 confirmed drivers so far

The remaining 3 pending drivers please make your way over the registration form and let us know if you're racing.

I'll be opening a practice room later tonight. I will post here when I have it open

Back