So I'm buying a wheel...

Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
USMCinfinity
G29 is pretty darned cheap right now but TM wheels usually have better Sont support, which should I go with, G29 or T300RS VS?

Personally, I wouldn't go with a G29 because it's just a G27 in a different package (deadzone, linearity, internals, all are exactly identical, just look up the graphs on the web). Besides that, it's an old technology (gear driven) wheel with a new technology price. The T300 is a modern wheel (belt driven) and the FFB is a lot better (e.g. less deadzone, more lineair and more power). There have been some reliability issues with the T300 in the past, not sure if those still apply (but someone will fill that in no doubt).

Personally, I wouldn't go with a G29 because it's just a G27 in a different package (deadzone, linearity, internals, all are exactly identical, just look up the graphs on the web). Besides that, it's an old technology (gear driven) wheel with a new technology price. The T300 is a modern wheel (belt driven) and the FFB is a lot better (e.g. less deadzone, more lineair and more power). There have been some reliability issues with the T300 in the past, not sure if those still apply (but someone will fill that in no doubt).

Thanks mate, I'm looking for something that hopefully will make it to PS5 era.

Might want to check some people's opinion on the pedals too, as I spoke only about the wheel and their technical differences. 👍

Go with one that supports a current console. That's all I can say. Thrustmaster at the moment seems to be the most supported brand.
G29 is pretty darned cheap right now but TM wheels usually have better Sont support, which should I go with, G29 or T300RS VS?

I have a G29 and I remember being in your shoes I use to have a G27 and was deciding G29 and T300 and I went with the G29 and honestly I'm glad I don't have to worry about G29 breaking however I know that the T300 is a better wheel as in FFB which is why I would've got it back then so I could buy an adapter to hook up my G27 pedals with the T300. I'm more of a serious sim racer trying to improve my speed week in. Week out so FFB is huge. However Pedals are important as well and that's where G29 or G27 has the advantage and I bought a $20 brake mod from GTEYE which has been great. More progression braking. There's Nixem as well which I've considered getting it (cheap as well) too see how much better it is.

Tons of options out there. Go with what works best for you. Can't really go too awfully wrong :cheers:

If I were to choose, go for T300 but keep in mind they have a history of wheel braking problems. But more options with T300 and better wheel imo overall. Will have to get it someday with my G29 Pedals 👍

I second this. I've had a G27 and a T300 and the T300 is head and shoulders above the Logitech wheels. Plus you can get different rims for it, as well as a shifter and better pedals.

I've given my opinion on this to so many people it's ridiculous.

It really comes down to how much money are you planning to spend along with how important is reliability (and customer service) to you?

If you have only $300 to spend (or whatever the G29 costs now) and you don't care about adding all the extra doo dads like different rims, shifters, pedals etc....then the G29 is the best overall package.

Now if you plan on upgrading and dumping a bunch of money into it as you go...then the T300/500 or Fanatec offerings are the way to go. G29 is non upgradeable whereas the others have a nice little catalog for you to blow tons of additional cash on.

Do you have a backup wheel in case your new wheel breaks/acts up? This is very important. I am a frugal person who can not stand reliability issues. But when something does break, the company doesn't give me the 3 month run around and put me in the RMA repair queue for another 2 months.

I personally drive online with several T300 people who have been sidelined with problems and been jerked around by TM for weeks.

My G29 (and DFGT before it) may not be the latest greatest, or strongest (overall strength does not make a great wheel)...but I have never had a problem with either of them.

Many people say that the TM300 is stronger (it is) but find the feel of the details to be better on the G29.

The leagues I drive in have lots of users of both...you say tomato, I say tomato...oh wait...that doesn't translate well when written does it?

Oh...one more thing...I was cruising the AC forums looking for feedback...probably not going to buy it after reading the reviews. PCars works fine for now...I guess. It's passable until something head and shoulders above it hits the shelves. And for league usage AC is dead in the water.

Everybody has said the Thrustmaster T300 RS is the superior wheel.

I ordered a T300 RS with Ferrari F1 Add-on just an hour ago thanks to the recommendations of a few guys here.

My entire set-up cost €600 so I will be kicking asses if it doesn't meet expectations.
:D

Only reason I havent is the t300rs came 2 years ago, I may wait and see the new GT Sport one.

The GTS wheel does look pretty cool but will it's launch be held until GTS arrives? You would have to assume so.

I'm trying to buy the best I can, even if it means spending $600 but I want it to last. Going with the GTS wheel is probably a safe bet since I assume Sony would support it for a long time.

I'm trying to buy the best I can, even if it means spending $600 but I want it to last. Going with the GTS wheel is probably a safe bet since I assume Sony would support it for a long time.
The GTS wheel, if its direct drive as claimed is not going to be cheap, likely way above the wheels being discussed here.

Personaly I had Logitec wheels back in the PS2 and PS3 days and got on OK with them, just the deadzone issues can be a pain (and in AC you can't currently dial that out either).

I now run a T300 rig with the T3PA pedals and TH8A Shifter, but started off with a T150 and did a quick brake mod to get some progression on the brake pedal, its a great wheel for the money and supports all the Thrustmaster upgrades.

I've got a friend that got already his third G29... They all finished broken and say that his old G27 is better than the new G29.

With the last G29 broken they offered him an other new Wheel, but this time he said that he wanted his money back.

Now with his money back he's gonna buy the T300RS Alcantara.

So..yes,the FFB motor of the T300 is better than the one of the G29... The quality and durability of the wheel.. Is just luck.

So,i would say... Go for a T300RS and at least you gonna have a better FFB

The GTS wheel, if its direct drive as claimed is not going to be cheap, likely way above the wheels being discussed here.

Personaly I had Logitec wheels back in the PS2 and PS3 days and got on OK with them, just the deadzone issues can be a pain (and in AC you can't currently dial that out either).

I now run a T300 rig with the T3PA pedals and TH8A Shifter, but started off with a T150 and did a quick brake mod to get some progression on the brake pedal, its a great wheel for the money and supports all the Thrustmaster upgrades.

I may do the T300RS if they lower the price, $400 for a 2 year old wheel is not smart IMHO, the only reason I mention GTS is because it will be the only good FFB wheel to be released this year(the newest one now I think its sept 2015).

I currently have a T80 so I'm not extremely starved for a wheel more than I'm dissapointed with AC support for my wheel.

I may do the T300RS if they lower the price, $400 for a 2 year old wheel is not smart IMHO, the only reason I mention GTS is because it will be the only good FFB wheel to be released this year(the newest one now I think its sept 2015).

I currently have a T80 so I'm not extremely starved for a wheel more than I'm dissapointed with AC support for my wheel.
As Scaff mentioned above, the new TM wheel is direct drive. I'd be shocked if it comes in below $US750 without pedals. I'm expecting at least $US999 with the T3PA's and no shifter. I'm also in the market for a new wheel and this new TM wheel is on my radar. I'm hoping it comes in in this price range but I'll wait for reviews to assess the reliability.

As Scaff mentioned above, the new TM wheel is direct drive. I'd be shocked if it comes in below $US750 without pedals. I'm expecting at least $US999 with the T3PA's and no shifter. I'm also in the market for a new wheel and this new TM wheel is on my radar. I'm hoping it comes in in this price range but I'll wait for reviews to assess the reliability.
I think it will be a single belt drive wheel just like the new Fanatec CSL Elite wheel and the price will be around $500USD
Do not ask me for link :D,this is pure speculation.:embarrassed:

Indeed, we currently have wheel base pricing (not including rims) as follows:
- T300 wheelbase = €280
- Fanatec CSL wheelbase (PC/Xbox One variant, PS4 variant to come) = €320
- Fanatec CSWv2 wheelbase (PC/Xbox One only) = €750
- Accuforce or OSW DD wheelbases (PC only) tend to come in at around €1200-1500+

All Thrustmaster/Fanatec are brushless motors and belt driven. The differences are the belt design, amount of plastic and the power of the motor (not a huge difference there). Fanatec has a better rim quick release system and an awesome selection of rims (up to the Porsche rim at €500), whereas TM offers a smaller selection of rims in the €80-150 price range.

If we assume the new TM base is direct drive but mass market, it could come in at under €1000 just for the base, however that would probably leave compromises on performance compared to the established DD players.

I think it's more likely that the new TM base has a single belt rather than dual belt, and better ballbearings to ensure very low latency. I'd expect TM to want to bring the complete wheelbase+rim+pedals set in at under €1000, maybe under €750, given that the T300 Alcantara set comes in at €480 and the T500 is approximately the same price.

But we shall see how it goes.

If you are planning on getting add-ons for your wheel, You might want to look at the Pros and Cons of both wheels and possibly think about another wheel. (Cheaper or more expensive) keep reading.

if you purchase the logistics 29 it has a clutch brake and gas pedal. But the h pattern shifter is sold separately

If you decide on the t300, pedals only have a gas and brake pedal no clutch, and no h patter shifter. updating it will cost you at least another $350 (pedal $199 shifter $150)
But even still, this is the best wheel of the two.

Why not look into getting the t 500 instead for the extra money you get the highest quality mid range wheel with a superior pedal set (included) than both mentioned above. And when you have the money, you can get thr8 shifter. Up to three to be exact. On for h pattern, one for sequential, and one to be used as an ebrake

Also look into the average lifespan you want to keep the wheel before updating.

I upgraded my wheel every 3 years, but they where much cheaper and simpler then. When I got to the g25 I had it 4 years before I upgraded. Then 5 years with my old g27, (would probably still have it if it was supported on the PS4) Now I'm upto my first year with my t500, glad I skipped the g29
and t300. And looking to keep this wheel for another 7 years.

Their are many aspects to look at when buying a wheel.

But first question should be how serious am I about racing. This will determine what wheel you get.

Buying a wheel isn't about just playing a game. It is an endless hobby. Of trying to reach sim perfection, without actually sitting in a car.

If the above does not apply to you, then get the cheapest wheel you can get. It will be sold before the end of the year.

2 years ago. A good buddy of mine came over once and saw my set up.he thought it was awesome. Then when out and got t500, pedals, shifter sim seat, and but kicker. Only to sell it five months down the road for half the price he got all of it for. " I'm not that into racing" was what he said to me when I asked him why he sold it.

Side note.
It could have been Sony's fault ( I'm not sure) but the g27 wheel could have been supported for the PS4. LogiTech lost me as a customer for this. Which I had to sell because it didn't work with the new console.

CSL base + wheel + pedals for 700 bucks can be seen as competition for that T300 too (on PC):

https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/bundl...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet

Might want to check some people's opinion on the pedals too, as I spoke only about the wheel and their technical differences. 👍

Don't forget about the T500rs, which comes with the pro set of pedals, and is slightly larger rim than the T300. The paddles are static but that's never been a problem for me.

The pedals are the issue here I think. The 2 pedal set you get with the T300 are good but no where near as good as the Tp3 Pro's you get with the T500rs. I have the basherboards stiff brake mod on mine, makes it feel like a loadcell. It's all upgradable/interchangeable too which is great.

Don't forget about the T500rs, which comes with the pro set of pedals, and is slightly larger rim than the T300. The paddles are static but that's never been a problem for me.

The pedals are the issue here I think. The 2 pedal set you get with the T300 are good but no where near as good as the Tp3 Pro's you get with the T500rs. I have the basherboards stiff brake mod on mine, makes it feel like a loadcell. It's all upgradable/interchangeable too which is great.

The only problem with t500rs is that the button on the steering does not let you navigate ps4 menu .

The only problem with t500rs is that the button on the steering does not let you navigate ps4 menu .

True, but is that really a problem? I usually use a pad for menus or launch the game with my tv remote if my pads not to hand.
T500 is the cheapest route to a set up with the pro pedals.

If you live in the U.S. get A Trustmaster T300 from WalMart, they offer A 4 year Service plan. That's A Win, Win. That's what I did. You get A great wheel and peace of mind. just in case the worst happens.:cheers:

If you live in the U.S. get A Trustmaster T300 from WalMart, they offer A 4 year Service plan. That's A Win, Win. That's what I did. You get A great wheel and peace of mind. just in case the worst happens.:cheers:

Thanks for the tip, I'll check walmart tomorrow. If they fix the T80 that'll help me wait for "next gen" wheels, hopefully they don't delay GTS Wheel.

I've noticed a lot of T300 users saying the feedback fades or stops after long use. I've never had this with the T500, after 100,000 miles+ of virtual driving it's never failed.

Maybe I'm just lucky, has anyone here had fade on T500?

Last edited:
I've noticed a lot of T300 users saying the feedback fades or stops after long use. I've never had this with the T500, after 100,000 miles+ of virtual driving it's never failed.

Maybe I'm just lucky, has anyone here had fade on T500?
I certainly wouldn't use fade and fail as interchangeable terms in that way. All wheels of a level up to and including the T500 will experience ffb fade. The Fanatec V2 is the first point on the way up through the ranks where fade is completely (or all but) averted (not including a judgement on the recently announced CSL base). It happens gradually while driving, and it's easy to be lulled into not realising it's happened. Ironically, Fanatec's lower end wheels are probably the worst offenders with their literally 2-3 dollar motors. Fortunately for you, you have a wheel with a maybe one hundred dollar Buhler motor that copes much better, but will still fade.

GTP member eKretz does a Fanatec V1 motor mod that requires drilling through the motor can to allow constant air flow (using a compressor) through precisely where the source of the heat is - and for very good reason. Fans and such are no-brainers to have, but do very little to dissipate heat where it really matters. For reference - purely by chance, it turns out that last night after a long Assetto session, I put my hand on the motor. It was literally cold to the touch (I use a fairly uncommon wheel - an ECCI 7000) suggesting zero fade, but once there's even a small amount of heat emanating from a base, the motor itself will be pretty much an inferno, and the electronics will adjust ffb output to protect from disaster.

All the more reason to not have compressed, "man scale", detail-crushing ffb levels.

So yeah, things like brushless motors (TX/T300), and good mechanical damping levels (Logitech Gxx/x) will help, but big motors rule the roost in the end, and you're still not quite at the level where the power completely matches the task.

My stuff has arrived! Just dinner standing in my way now. Indigestion here I come.

sketch-1473100322331.png

Back