So I'm buying a wheel...

I certainly wouldn't use fade and fail as interchangeable terms in that way. All wheels of a level up to and including the T500 will experience ffb fade. The Fanatec V2 is the first point on the way up through the ranks where fade is completely (or all but) averted (not including a judgement on the recently announced CSL base). It happens gradually while driving, and it's easy to be lulled into not realising it's happened. Ironically, Fanatec's lower end wheels are probably the worst offenders with their literally 2-3 dollar motors. Fortunately for you, you have a wheel with a maybe one hundred dollar Buhler motor that copes much better, but will still fade.

GTP member eKretz does a Fanatec V1 motor mod that requires drilling through the motor can to allow constant air flow (using a compressor) through precisely where the source of the heat is - and for very good reason. Fans and such are no-brainers to have, but do very little to dissipate heat where it really matters. For reference - purely by chance, it turns out that last night after a long Assetto session, I put my hand on the motor. It was literally cold to the touch (I use a fairly uncommon wheel - an ECCI 7000) suggesting zero fade, but once there's even a small amount of heat emanating from a base, the motor itself will be pretty much an inferno, and the electronics will adjust ffb output to protect from disaster.

All the more reason to not have compressed, "man scale", detail-crushing ffb levels.

So yeah, things like brushless motors (TX/T300), and good mechanical damping levels (Logitech Gxx/x) will help, but big motors rule the roost in the end, and you're still not quite at the level where the power completely matches the task.

Interesting, So would just turning the level of feedback down reduce the chance of fade? I usually go for around 30/40% depending on the game, .. i mean sim?

I've had two T300 bases, first one stopped working, second make awful creaking noises. Great wheel with problems, I hate Thrustmaster customer service!

@Scaff @Whitestar I had 1'30 with the Ferrari F1 wheel last night and it feels great. It looks so cool and that alone is worth 0.5s per lap! Initially it is a little annoying having to check button-mappings because it doesn't have PlayStation symbols obviously but after that it is great.
Is it heavier or lighter than the T300 GT wheel, and how does that translate into FFB differences?

Is it heavier or lighter than the T300 GT wheel, and how does that translate into FFB differences?
The Ferrari F1 is a light wheel so there is no real difference in that respect. Having only played a while with it I may not have picked up on more subtle differences which may come after more hands-on time.

The Ferrari F1 is a light wheel so there is no real difference in that respect. Having only played a while with it I may not have picked up on more subtle differences which may come after more hands-on time.
How are you finding the "rocker" style gear shifters on the F1 rim?

Interesting, So would just turning the level of feedback down reduce the chance of fade? I usually go for around 30/40% depending on the game, .. i mean sim?
Sorry for the extreme lateness in replying. Yes, turning down the ffb level will help stave off fade. It's frustrating though, as the console versions (as far as I can tell) don't have anything to gauge clipping with. Clipping is doubly problematic for wheels with motors not strong enough to avoid fade. When a wheel is clipping, it's dynamic range is deduced, and the motor works at full capacity for more of the time. So, set at 20% too high, all forces that should be output between 80% and 100% in strength will actually output at 100% strength. Detail is lost, and the motor works harder - lose/lose.

Here's hoping the console versions get an app to provide an objective analysis, but for now all that can be done I suppose is to feel for where the ffb outputs as a solid 100% block, where it would otherwise output at variable force.

Has anyone tried to use the Fanatec GT3 wheel and V2 pedals with Assetto Corsa?
They're not supported on console.
There is some sort of adapter out there that tricks the console into thinking that you're using a TM wheel but I don't know anything about it.

They're not supported on console.
There is some sort of adapter out there that tricks the console into thinking that you're using a TM wheel but I don't know anything about it.
Thanks. I will wait and see or just wait for GT SPORT

Thanks. I will wait and see or just wait for GT SPORT
If they don't work for AC or F1 I wouldn't hold out much hope for them working on GT man. Thrustmaster have already announced a brand new wheel specifically for it.
It's not looking good for Fanatec on the PS4 as it stands, which is a damn shame.

If they don't work for AC or F1 I wouldn't hold out much hope for them working on GT man. Thrustmaster have already announced a brand new wheel specifically for it.
It's not looking good for Fanatec on the PS4 as it stands, which is a damn shame.
I think you are right. These companies must think we are made of gold. I can't buy a new system every couple of years.

I think you are right. These companies must think we are made of gold. I can't buy a new system every couple of years.
I agree, when MS announced that no last gen peripherals would work with the Bone I said goodbye to Forza and jumped ship to the PS4.
If I hadn't bought a Thrustmaster wheel six months ago, I'd be absolutely livid right now.
I can see PC sales having a bit of a spike due to people giving two fingers to Sony and rightly so.

It's going to stay like this, thou shalt forever be the milking cow. Only way to escape from overlords Sony and MS restricting your peripherals every 4 years and charging you extra for services is.... nah not gonna say it again :P

nah not gonna say it again :P
PC.png

However, 4 years is a clear step forward in technology...

I know it's budget dependent, but I rather like the steps up I've been forced to take over the years. Sticking to my G25 would have been a much less fun ride :D

However, 4 years is a clear step forward in technology...

I know it's budget dependent, but I rather like the steps up I've been forced to take over the years. Sticking to my G25 would have been a much less fun ride :D

I really detest the G25 now having the Thrustmaster Alcantara set. The G25 is so rattly and clunky plus especially loud when it calibrates. Plugged in, game starts, game ends wheel spins. Plus it looks like a toy.

I also have my eye on the F1 wheel...

It really depends on what you want. The Logitech wheels certainly aren't bad, and the gear-driven mechanism seems to have an "immediacy" that the belt-driven wheels don't have. I have both a G25 (and a DFP, actually) and a T500, and while the T500 is indeed great, and clearly the superior wheel overall, I'm not actually disappointed when moving to my alternative location and using the G25.

It really depends on what you want. The Logitech wheels certainly aren't bad, and the gear-driven mechanism seems to have an "immediacy" that the belt-driven wheels don't have. I have both a G25 (and a DFP, actually) and a T500, and while the T500 is indeed great, and clearly the superior wheel overall, I'm not actually disappointed when moving to my alternative location and using the G25.
while I'm not trying to get you to buy a new wheel, I can tell you from experience that the "first gen" belt driven wheels (of which I own Fanatec's Porsche GT2 and the T500) suffer from a lot more internal resistance and a feeling of latency in the belt drive than the second gen wheels, such as T300 (which I own) or Fanatec's latest offerings.

For me, the immediacy you are talking about is why I kept PC racing on my G25 and only used the GT2 or T500 on console. But then the T300 came along and blew the G25 away for smoothness and forces while recapturing the same kind of free moving low latency immediacy. At least in my opinion :)

i was upset about the compatibility of my G27 wheel so i went the PC road and i am happy about that...
Now i dont feel the need to return back to consoles where manufacturers tell you what to buy...
Between a G29 and T300 it's a big struggle cause i dislike them both...
If my G27 will die i will think about getting a Fanatec wheel instead... Hoping that Fanatec start to do again one of that amazing mid range wheels they did in the past...

Why do you dislike the T300? I must admit I wasn't keen on the G29 coming from a G25 as it looks like a Tommy Toy. Plus the fact it uses all the old internal parts as I always felt the G25 FFB was so weak. Let alone the lack of buttons on the wheel.

Back