Sony Patent Hints at PlayStation 5 Cloud-Based Emulation of Previous Consoles

Imagine been able to play any of the following on the PS5...

• Gran Turismo 1 - 6, 2002 Concept
  • Driver 1 - 3, Parallel Lines & SF
  • Burnout 3: Takedown, Dominator, Revenge
  • The Simpsons Hit & Run, Road Rage
  • Star Wars Battlefront (2004) & Battlefront 2 (2005), Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
  • (Road & Track presents) The NFS - NFS II all the way up to Pro Street
  • LEGO Star Wars TCS
  • Toca Touring Car Chanpionship 1 - 2, Toca World Touring Cars, Toca Race driver 1 - 3, Grid (2007), Grid Autosport
  • GTA III - IV, VC, VC Stories, Liberty City Stories, SA
  • The Getaway & Getaway Black Monday
  • Saints Row 2
  • DiRT 1 - 3, Showdown
  • Battlefield Bad Company 1 - 2, Battlefield 3
  • The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
  • Destruction Derby Raw
  • Colin McRae Rally, & Rally 2.0.
  • Skate 1 - 3
  • Doom 1 - 3, & Doom 64 (PS4 *port)
  • *WRC Arcade, II: Extreme, 3 - Evolved
This may seem like a big list of random games to some people, but these are all games I enjoyed from previous PS consoles or that I loved to play as a young child. Would be amazing to play some of these titles once again since I no longer own a PS2 because my last one broke, and my 60GB backwards compatibility console is on its way out. So it would be nice to play these gems again one day.

Please Sony make it happen. :bowdown:

Last edited:
Let me guess, we won't be able to put our ps1/2/3 discs into the ps5 (non digital) and play those games.

We'll have to buy again digitally or pay a monthly fee for retro gaming via the cloud.
I like old games occasionally but if this is the case I'll have no problem skipping this option.

Any latest price rumours for the all singing, all dancing ps5?

Let me guess, we won't be able to put our ps1/2/3 discs into the ps5 (non digital) and play those games.

We'll have to buy again digitally or pay a monthly fee for retro gaming via the cloud.
I like old games occasionally but if this is the case I'll have no problem skipping this option.

Any latest price rumours for the all singing, all dancing ps5?
Yep. Those emulators are not going into PS5. They're cloud based ones (as it says in the title).

Is this cloud gaming with remote emulation, or could it be an online service that streams game data to a local emulator without storing the games locally, kinda like Nintendo's NES and SNES apps with their online-only requirement (but local data)? The descriptions are ambiguous between the two.

If it's the first possibility, no thanks. Never. The second possibility could be interesting if the library is diverse and somehow not choked by licensing. I could check out some PS3 exclusives I missed.

If you cannot utilize titles you already owned, how is this functionally any different from Playstation Now that Sony already tries to pretend counts as backwards compatibility besides seemingly also having PSX games (which themselves were so easy to emulate that even the PS2 did it in software by the time the PS3 came out)?

Imagine been able to play any of the following on the PS5...

• Gran Turismo 1 - 6, 2002 Concept
  • Driver 1 - 3, Parallel Lines & SF
  • Burnout 3: Takedown, Dominator, Revenge
  • The Simpsons Hit & Run, Road Rage
  • Star Wars Battlefront (2004) & Battlefront 2 (2005), Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
  • (Road & Track presents) The NFS - NFS II all the way up to Pro Street
  • LEGO Star Wars TCS
  • Toca Touring Car Chanpionship 1 - 2, Toca World Touring Cars, Toca Race driver 1 - 3, Grid (2007), Grid Autosport
  • GTA III - IV, VC, VC Stories, Liberty City Stories, SA
  • The Getaway & Getaway Black Monday
  • Saints Row 2
  • DiRT 1 - 3, Showdown
  • Battlefield Bad Company 1 - 2, Battlefield 3
  • The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
  • Destruction Derby Raw
  • Colin McRae Rally, & Rally 2.0.
  • Skate 1 - 3
  • Doom 1 - 3, & Doom 64 (PS4 sport)
  • *WRC, II: Extreme, 3 - Evolved
This may seem like a big list of random games to some people, but these are all games I enjoyed from previous PS consoles or that I loved to play as a young child. Would be amazing to play some of these titles once again since I no longer own a PS2 because my last one broke, and my 60GB backwards compatibility console is on its way out. So it would be nice to play these gems again one day.

Please Sony make it happen. :bowdown:
And more importantly: Micromachines, Track and field. Point blank. Die hard. Ooh so many classics.

Last edited:
If you cannot utilize titles you already owned, how is this functionally any different from Playstation Now that Sony already tries to pretend counts as backwards compatibility besides seemingly also having PSX games (which themselves were so easy to emulate that even the PS2 did it in software by the time the PS3 came out)?
True backwards compatibility (I'm not holding my breath) would be a worthy selling point of the disc-drive PS5 over the digital PS5, including for some people who are otherwise all-digital consumers.

No way this will make any money from me. I own the discs and I have the systems to play them on.

You know they won't respect your ownership of the games you own and just want you to pay a monthly fee for this. It's a big nope. PS1 and PS2 have long since been reduced to single chips. They cost pounds in the PS3 era. It would be pennies now but a monthly sub would allow the nickel and diming to continue. Overly negative yes but practical experience indicates not.

I don't really care about paying for those game, but if there the whole library available - I will use it by maximum!

If true this is an absolute joke. Anything other than full disc based backwards compatibility is just an excuse to charge people for 25 years of stuff they have already bought and to add further insult you won't even really own it this time round! PlayStation Now was quite a failure and this is just it being repackaged.

Given the MS has made proper BC work ages ago and putting the required chips and or coding in would cost a few bucks there is no excuse other than market dominance arrogance of Sony who think they don't need it as a selling point to dominate the next generation.

If it’s anything like Xbox's, I probably wouldn't want it, so many title's missing on the Xbox, conspicuously absent Forza 1-4, title’s such as Project Gothic Racing absent because the studio folded, could image such things happening with the PS5, would prefer a disc base system in addition to the store to access previous titles.

Probably be some trash purchase only Emulation for games I don't care about. Like £15 each on PS Store, no disc inserting.

No GT games because licensing.

Probably be some trash purchase only Emulation for games I don't care about. Like £15 each on PS Store, no disc inserting.

No GT games because licensing.

You are right, we will not have the classic GT's, and many other games due to copyright issues, many people don't even know the real reasons.

What is the chance of wheel support on PS2 and PS3 racing games? I'm not really interested unless it has that, and I assume it would be a compatibility nightmare.

I hope to play Conflict Desert Storm 1/2
F1 games by Liverpool Studios
And Gran Turismo Classics.
I would also like to try out TAK I never really played that my little bro did. But I wouldn’t mind giving it a go. Also The Simpson’s Hit and Run.

I'd be happy with this. I can live without backwards compatibility but hold fond memories of playing games like Spyro, Crash, GT1, GT2 & Getaway so this coming via an emulation service would be a nice surprise. I'm planning to collect physical copies but also planning on getting the physical consoles too so hardware-based BC makes no difference to me.

Of course these are only my plans so I also get others unhappiness with this news.

...If the backwards compatibility is entirely cloud-based where the games are stored in a server farm somewhere thousands of kilometres away from me, requiring me to stream those games all the while the discs I own only serve as "authenticators" then bloody hell, this sucks donkey balls in my book.

Google Stadia is a pretty stark reminder that streaming games isn't a real workable solution for everyone atm. I've never ventured into the realm of PS Now for similar reasons, too. If the "BC" is handled similarly to how Microsoft does it with Xbone - disc acting as authenticators and you download the game to your HDD - then I might be half-interested but even then, imagine trying to DL a PS3 game with a crappy internet connection like mine.

Ouch.

It doesn't hint anything. It's PS Now concept. On this drawing you can clearly see that PS4 form factor wasn't even revealed yet. So it's very old one.

I think you're 100% correct on this, I've seen this drawing elsewhere and it's likely from 2012 from what others are saying. It's a 2012 patent for PSNow on the PS4

If it’s anything like Xbox's, I probably wouldn't want it, so many title's missing on the Xbox, conspicuously absent Forza 1-4, title’s such as Project Gothic Racing absent because the studio folded, could image such things happening with the PS5, would prefer a disc base system in addition to the store to access previous titles.
That's due to the licensing of cars.

...Another thing I've just thought up of is cost: surely, you can't run a service of this nature for free, so will the hypothetical owners of PS5 wanting to access their library of old games need to pay something to access the cloud or have banner ads on the top of the screen or something? I know that sounds unlikely, but hey, never say never.

Since we'll have a disc-less digital only console, the cloud-based BC thing seems more and more likely to me. Wouldn't make much sense to invest money to include either hardware or software based emulation on consoles that don't have a disc bay to accept PS1 or PS2 discs in the first place.

Which begs the question - how will you access BC on your digital-only PS5, since it'll be rather cumbersome if not impossible to prove that you do own so-and-so PS1/PS2 /PS3 games in physical format. Make you pay a small sum to access the games stored in the cloud? Don't include it at all in the digital edition and make that version slightly cheaper?

No, thanks. Also not every game would be available because of licensing issues.

Put an emulator app into the PS Store, maybe for 20-30$ and make us play every game on disc we own.

Back