Sound Update (PD is now hiring! + Email!)Answered 

• Thread starter FoRiZon
  • 1,262 comments
Dear

Kazunori Yamauchi

Please, do something with the loud tire sound, this is the main reason why i don't play this game anymore (i'm halfway through A-Spec), i just play the seasonal events and gt academy, but the tire squeals stop me from trying to get gold, so i just drive till i get bronze, sometimes silver (occasionally gold reward ), and quit the game because the tire sound ruin the fun, i play with music off so the tire sound is dominating and it is louder than the engine sound at its worst and loudest.
Could you (Polyphony Digital) please turn it down to the same level as it is in Gran Turismo 5? I just have to say if Gran Turismo 7 will have the same tire sound level like Gran Turismo 6 i won't buy it, and that would be a very sad thing for me, since i always have been a huge fan of Gran Turismo.
I have owned (and played) all previous Gran Turismo games from 1 to 6, from 1997 till 2013 (I am 50 years old, but i will be a gamer as long as i can)
This is my biggest problem with the Gran Turismo 6.
I will also use this opportunity to thank you for all the previous Gran Turismo games that have give me hours and hours and hours with great fun and pleasure.

Yours sincerely

Inge

Last edited:
Please do something with the loud tire sound, this is the main reason why i don't play this game anymore (i'm halfway through A-Spec), i just play the seasonal events and gt academy, but the tire squeals stop me from fighting for gold, so i just drive to i get bronze, sometimes silver, and quit the game because the tire sound ruin the fun, i play with music off so the tire sound is dominating and it is louder than the engine sound at its worst and loudest.
Could you (Polyphony Digital) please turn it down to the same level as it is in Gran Turismo 5? I just have to say if Gran Turismo 7 will have the same tire sound level like Gran Turismo 6 i won't buy it, and i have played all previous Gran Turismo games from 1 to 6. (I am 50 years old) This is my biggest problem with the Gran Turismo 6.

Yours sincerely

Inge

You do realise they fixed that in like December?

It's been the usual GT5 tire sounds for months now.

Are you on 1.07?

You do realise they fixed that in like December?

It's been the usual GT5 tire sounds for months now.

Are you on 1.07?

Yes i have 1.07 ... are you sure? Then i have to try GT Academy second round with the Nissan 370Z again, that was the most annoying i have ever experienced in the history of playing Gran Turismo.

Update.

December!? No way, the GT Academy round 2 started in may, the Nissan 370Z with comfort soft tires was hurting my ears so bad that i had to turn the volume on my tv down to 1(normally on Level 20 for regular tv and other games) so i barely could hear the tire squeals.

Last edited:
Yes i have 1.07 ... are you sure? Then i have to try GT Academy second round with the Nissan 370Z again, that was the most annoying i have ever experienced in the history of playing Gran Turismo.

Yes, compare it if you still have GT5.

Early versions of GT6 had very loud tire sounds.

The things I'm interested in about the new sound method (regardless of whether it'll be on PS3 or PS4) are:

Will the new sound method include intake / induction sound?

Will there be an increase in the customisability of the sounds, not just in the options (volume levels of different sources and the such), but also in the "tuning" of each car?

I'd love to know technical details, obviously! :)

We probably won't see a breakthrough in GT6. So I wonder if, at least, they will do any improvement to sounds in GT6. Something on the quality level of the X cars would be welcome.
Or they could start upgrading it by packs of cars...
I just think the actual sounds in GT6 are unacceptable, after 4 years of complaining they gotta do something about it.

How about a honest and definitive answer to change from the usual blurry Shrodinger's answer that just buy time?

Hope Kaz & P.D are focusing on this for GT7 (PS4). Really want raw engine sound recorded, not something generic this time. :)

Yep this is something I want PD to tweak...no, to get right before Anything else. As much as I would like to see a bunch of numerous content being released into GT this I feel must be resolved first. It just really sucks the joy out from driving when you hear vacuum cleaner noises from a brand of Manufacturer you know makes exciting engines, so one would expect something pretty darn close in virtual comparison.
Not just stock car sounds either, the sound should adjust properly when adding different exhausts.

I really want sound update more than anything in This Game, but if that is not coming Better use of current samples would fix a oot Things. For example why the Sauber C9 has same sample as Toyota TS020 when some racecar v8 sample such as in Ford GT LM Race car would be much more realistic and pleasant. And same With BMW Z4 GT3, just give it one of those older Nascar samples instead of What it now got. Then I could really enjoy my two favourite cars, now I havent even bought them in GT6

Yes, Yes, & YES!!! I've often thought if they had simply used the Ford GT LM sound for the Sauber then at least it would have a proper V8 sound to it. It needs to be put to Kaz that in this day and age anyone can find out online what a car really sounds like, that PD can't go on putting really annoying unrealistic sounds with the cars.

Did he promise though? I think it was a 'maybe'
https://www.gtplanet.net/new-gt6-engine-sounds-could-included-in-game-update/

Kaz's words
"I think I mentioned this in the past, but we’re really working to change the fundamental way that the engine sound works,” Kazunori Yamauchi said during a press session at Polyphony Digital’s Tokyo office.“Right now I have a feeling that it might not make it for day one for GT6.
Day one.
Now it's almost 6 months.

Last edited:
Not being negative to anybody but are sounds really that big of a deal, really its not. Just race the cars its just a game.

Not being negative to anybody but are sounds really that big of a deal, really its not. Just race the cars its just a game.
Yes it is:

Bad car sounds ruin the immersion of a car racing game for some of us.
I think it's "a little more" than some. It's one of the top 3 complaints since GT5. Not only on Gtplanet, also on any other forum, gaming website, youtube etc...
It's really unacceptable considering the magnitude of the franchise and also what other developers are capable of.

Last edited:
How about a less abrasive OP? I doubt he would want to answer a question with that tone.

I think it's called for, the sounds have been sub-par for over a decade. Time to get the ball rolling here. Perhaps PD should collaborate with another company that has a good track record in that department. Seems like they just can't get it right.

I think it's called for, the sounds have been sub-par for over a decade. Time to get the ball rolling here.

No it isn't. Being rude may get you attention, but its not the way to solve anything.

The things I'm interested in about the new sound method (regardless of whether it'll be on PS3 or PS4) are:

Will the new sound method include intake / induction sound?

Will there be an increase in the customisability of the sounds, not just in the options (volume levels of different sources and the such), but also in the "tuning" of each car?

I'd love to know technical details, obviously! :)
Have you driven the Audi RS6? At times I feel like I hear an intake "whirl" of some sort.. It's pretty interesting that car..

Play the game muted. Go to spa, with a R8 LMS, and do a sub 2'15" lap. It's nearly impossible (which is why I fear being deaf) and ruins the game. Now try it again immediately after the last muted lap.

Instantly it will increase. How much, I dunno... But making the cars sound even better makes me feel better. And when I feel better, I race better.

To Mr. Yamauchi and the rest of Polyphony

The majority of the GTPlanet community appreciates your dedication to the series. The amount of work and detail put into the Premium car models is simply unrivaled. If it wasn't for your passion and love for the automobile, we wouldn't even be on this site.

With that said, an essential component of the driving simulation - accurate, true to life sounds - is absent. We are aware that the sounds have been improving with each iteration of the franchise, but it is still extremely far behind compared to basically every other game.

Sound is as important to experience as the physics and graphics IMO. So please Kazunori, we need a definite answer on when we can expect this fabled "breakthrough" of yours and whether it will actually be on time for this generation. We fans have waited long enough. It's time to make Gran Turismo the king of racing games once again.

Thank you for taking the time to communicate with us :gtpflag:

Play the game muted. Go to spa, with a R8 LMS, and do a sub 2'15" lap. It's nearly impossible (which is why I fear being deaf) and ruins the game. Now try it again immediately after the last muted lap.

Instantly it will increase. How much, I dunno... But making the cars sound even better makes me feel better. And when I feel better, I race better.
This.

And that's why I am also disgusted with electric cars.

Back