Sound Update (PD is now hiring! + Email!)Answered 

• Thread starter FoRiZon
  • 1,262 comments
PD promised us to gradually update the sound before the launch date. To be fair some does sound realistic from the GT5 although lacking some "effects". But for the update to GT6, all I see is just a very few numbers of it. Where's the rest?

I mean for the example, most of the new cars in GT6 sounds just like PD left the "placeholder" (CopyPaste) sound present from the Demo.
PD said it just a "placeholder" to be replaced in the update.
More noticeable at cars like M3 GT, Huayra, Quattro Rally
Car, and more.

That's what I'm worried about. Where is it? When we finally get an update for the sound? If PD can't update a small group of cars, how can PD provide for the rest?

Well....this what I got to say about the sound to all you sheep....

To all the people who say like a vacuum cleaner your just plain rude nothing in the game sounds anything like a vacuum cleaner I suggest you've never even actually used one....
To all the people with comparison videos....I have never seen one done properly including the one posted here...he couldn't even be bothered to turn of the terrible jazz music and the sound quality is terrible ..not even worth the effort as far as I"m concerned...
Recording sounds out of your TV set is ridicules....I suggest the reason maybe sounds from other games sound better for you are they are not real and are spoofed up for you pleasure and lack of reasonable equipment

Personally I've never had any worries with sound maybe because a never play without my very expensive sound system on very loud...to me all the sounds you would expect are there..gear shift clunk,tyre scrub...wind rattle..even cars coming up behind and all the cars sound individual...

I'm expecting you all have expensive tv"s to take advantage of the brilliant picture quality what would be the point otherwise.

I've said it before if your not prepared to spend more money on your sound system as you spent on the came and ps3 together then you get what you get.

As for an update I only ever heard Kaz say we probably need to sex thing up a bit!
I hope don't .

Get a grip put half as much effort in to getting your sound right as they do then see how you go instead of sitting back and hoping it's going to come to you...and stop being insulting...and ask a serious question to the man that does his best to give you so much....

Fools!

To all the people who say like a vacuum cleaner your just plain rude nothing in the game sounds anything like a vacuum cleaner I suggest you've never even actually used one....
To all the people with comparison videos....I have never seen one done properly including the one posted here...he couldn't even be bothered to turn of the terrible jazz music and the sound quality is terrible ..not even worth the effort as far as I"m concerned...
Recording sounds out of your TV set is ridicules....I suggest the reason maybe sounds from other games sound better for you are they are not real and are spoofed up for you pleasure and lack of reasonable equipment

Personally I've never had any worries with sound maybe because a never play without my very expensive sound system on very loud...to me all the sounds you would expect are there..gear shift clunk,tyre scrub...wind rattle..even cars coming up behind and all the cars sound individual...

I'm expecting you all have expensive tv"s to take advantage of the brilliant picture quality what would be the point otherwise.

I've said it before if your not prepared to spend more money on your sound system as you spent on the came and ps3 together then you get what you get.

As for an update I only ever heard Kaz say we probably need to sex thing up a bit!
I hope don't .

Get a grip put half as mucheffect in to getting your sound right as they do then see how you go instead of sitting back and hoping it's going to come to you...and stop being insulting...and ask a serious question to the man that does his best to give you so much....

Fools!

It really isn't that simple, however. A number of cars suffer from an issue where the sample simply does not sounds like the correct car, or even much like a car at all. Examples include the Murcielago, Aventador, Ferrari FXX, BMW V12 LMR, Toyota GT-One, the Corvette C5-R, among hundreds of others, which use either the wrong samples or something unrealistic and highly synthetic sounding. The best sound system in the world can only reproduce what is programmed into the game - if a V12-engined car, like the Aventador, is programmed to use the V10 sample from the Gallardo (which it is), it will always be wrong until the developers change the samples. Please go and try the cars I've listed, and you will find that your high-quality reproduction equipment will not help a great deal.

Furthermore, a recent stint on GT2 proved to me that the sound samples used for some of the Nissan Skylines are identical to those used for the same cars in GT6 - these are sound samples that are in excess of a decade in age, designed for a console with 3.5MB of RAM. I can only hope that a sound update is in the works, because they ought to be far more detailed and realistic than they are presently.

Last edited:
It really isn't that simple, however. A number of cars suffer from an issue where the sample simply does not sounds like the correct car, or even much like a car at all. Examples include the Murcielago, Aventador, Ferrari FXX, BMW V12 LMR, Toyota GT-One, the Corvette C5-R, among hundreds of others, which use either the wrong samples or something unrealistic and highly synthetic sounding. The best sound system in the world can only reproduce what is programmed into the game - if a V12-engined car, like the Aventador, is programmed to use the V10 sample from the Gallardo (which it is), it will always be wrong until the developers change the samples. Please go and try the cars I've listed, and you will find that your high-quality reproduction equipment will not help a great deal.

Furthermore, a recent stint on GT2 proved to me that the sound samples used for some of the Nissan Skylines are identical to those used for the same cars in GT6 - these are sound samples that are in excess of a decade in age, designed for a console with 3.5MB of RAM. I can only hope that a sound update is in the works, because they ought to be far more detailed and realistic than they are presently.

It's no secret that some of the original cars are ported to the new game so are the origanal sounds and looks ...and it's not surprising that things were done differently back then but as the technology has developed so have the new cars....there was no 5.1 or DTS back in the early days ... But I have tried all the cars in the game every single one so far..and none of them sound like vacum cleaners...that's just plain rude to say...even my 10 year old son has realised you can't get all around sound from 2 speakers on your TV set And this will become even more complex as we move to Virtual reality immersion.be cause the all around sound has to move in accordance with your head movement..this is more in line with what their working on right now.

I want to love gt6, I really do- but there are quite a few cars that sound indefensibly terrible. When I drive a car that sounds more like it should, the game shines.

There are cars that even on my hd Dolby surround sound system honestly sound such that I have to look around in case someone has broken in and is actually hoovering my house.

There are cars that even on my hd Dolby surround sound system honestly sound such that I have to look around in case someone has broken in and is actually hoovering my house.

thats the point, even a professional calibrated 5.1 sound sys hand made by "elac" doesn´t make gt(or forza) sound realistic or immersive.

and imho i think every one with a normal tv/headphones/home cinema should expierience at last a realistic and in best case an immersive sound expierience, regardless of their sound system budget.
of cause would the stock tv speakers of every sub 500$/€ sound terrible, but with a good quality audio source it wouldn´t be such worse as it is now.

I don't think it's a question of sound spatial architecture, actually I think GT have the best doppler effect in any game so far (PC included).... having said that, your argument for a better sound system don't stand when other games do so much better (seriously tell me that GT is on par with DTM experience in the sound recreation!) in the engine sound department whatever the quality of the sound hardware... fact is that so much in the engine sound are missing in GT (exhaust growl and sputters, separate intake and outake, off gas, down and up shifting, body work, under stress, etc... and the medium/high revs are so distorted that they indeed often sounds like a distorted digital vacuum cleaner... and I don't even speak about the misplacement of samples for each car like a V6 for a V8 etc...

It's no secret that some of the original cars are ported to the new game so are the origanal sounds and looks ...and it's not surprising that things were done differently back then but as the technology has developed so have the new cars....there was no 5.1 or DTS back in the early days ... But I have tried all the cars in the game every single one so far..and none of them sound like vacum cleaners...that's just plain rude to say...even my 10 year old son has realised you can't get all around sound from 2 speakers on your TV set And this will become even more complex as we move to Virtual reality immersion.be cause the all around sound has to move in accordance with your head movement..this is more in line with what their working on right now.

thats the point, even a professional calibrated 5.1 sound sys hand made by "elac" doesn´t make gt(or forza) sound realistic or immersive.

and imho i think every one with a normal tv/headphones/home cinema should expierience at last a realistic and in best case an immersive sound expierience, regardless of their sound system budget.
of cause would the stock tv speakers of every sub 500$/€ sound terrible, but with a good quality audio source it wouldn´t be such worse as it is now.
That's like saying that people with a 4:3 TV should expect the same experience as those with a HD TV..

Some of the engine sounds are indeed a bit airy, but that isn't the majority. The majority is that cars don't actually sound like they should.
From what I've found, most premium cars sound fairly accurate with their stock or sports exhausts on. There are a lot that have no exhaust type to remedy their problem.

Here are a couple of short (5 bullet point) lists.

Incorrect sound
  • Ferrari FXX
    • Who in the world had the audacity to approve this?
  • Lamborghini Aventador
    • It's kinda close... I think?
  • McLaren F1
    • Shameless copy of the Cizeta V16T sound, which is accurate to the V16T.
  • Pagani Zonda R
    • Generic racing exhaust sound. It doesn't sound like a Zonda R.
  • Lamborghini Murcielago
    • I don't even...
Correct/Accurate Sound
  • Ferrari 458 Italia
    • There's a Ferrari V8.
  • RUF RGT
    • I hear an H6 engine.
  • Honda HSV-010
    • Does it sound like it should? Yes.
  • Ford GT40 MkI
    • Yep, that's the proper sound.
  • 2013 SRT Viper GTS (Sports Exhaust)
    • That's definitely a Viper V10 under the hood.
Now there are going to be more cars in the first list than the second, but there are a lot of cars in the game that do still sound nice.

I liked the question because every single car's sound could use improvement.

I agree that the 'vacuum cleaner' line is getting old and annoying.
For a forum that has everybody always calling for facts and figures to back up claims, this phrase seems to be loved by all even though clearly no car actually sounds like a vacuum cleaner.
Yes, I would love some better samples updated in the future if possible, it's not as if I'm against it or don't think it's worth doing.
I would also love it if people would jump off this 'vacuum cleaner' band wagon and actually refer to the sounds in a more descriptive and mature way.

Incorrect sound
  • Lamborghini Aventador
    • It's kinda close... I think?
  • McLaren F1
    • Shameless copy of the Cizeta V16T sound, which is accurate to the V16T.
  • Lamborghini Murcielago
    • I don't even...
Correct/Accurate Sound
  • 2013 SRT Viper GTS (Sports Exhaust)
    • That's definitely a Viper V10 under the hood.

Since you noted it for the copied McLaren F1 sound, the V12 Lambos have their sound copied straight from the Gallardo V10. It does sound kinda fitting for the Gallardo although it's still very clinic/sterile.

And about the Viper, if your sound system has good bass, try the Semi Racing exhaust. Much better and in my opinion much more like the real thing. Only heard the Viper a few times in person but I remember the sound roughly like that in person.

Guess my argument is valid then. A car can sound like a vacuum.
Indeed it can. I find it absolutely hilarious that the Autozam actually does sound a bit like a hoover. :lol:
But hey, at least this time a vacuum cleaner sound is proper! Woohoo! :lol:

Have you driven the Audi RS6? At times I feel like I hear an intake "whirl" of some sort.. It's pretty interesting that car..

Play the game muted. Go to spa, with a R8 LMS, and do a sub 2'15" lap. It's nearly impossible (which is why I fear being deaf) and ruins the game. Now try it again immediately after the last muted lap.

Instantly it will increase. How much, I dunno... But making the cars sound even better makes me feel better. And when I feel better, I race better.
Not being negative to anybody but are sounds really that big of a deal, really its not. Just race the cars its just a game.

Yes, it is a big deal, the sound is the half of the game, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Thought of the day: I'm thinking that gt is the Kesha of car sounds :lol:
Please pd update the sounds

Exactly! for the first time in GT history, I didn't buy GT6. It's my way to say to PD and Kaz that their vision is not meeting "my" vision of what a 2014 racing game should be. People still have the power of their wallet to force changes, if only they could remember it and weren't such blind hyped customers.

So that's how you feel about a game that it was released in 2013.

Just saying.

Hello, every thread on GTP since GT4.

I'm using Sony Large Home Theater with Optical Sound Cable 5.1, and still can't believe some racing game had a better sound engine. I know that PD could give us better sound engine, I'm sure it will come sooner or later:D

As someone else said, it has been adjusted in an update. Besides, you can turn it down anyway

It's still louder than any street car engine with stock exhaust at any RPM. And how would you "turn it down"?

If you noticed most of the cars that sounds bad is actually a stock (Copy-Pasted) sounds.

Not really, most stock sounds are alright. Not particularly realistic but not a torment to listen to either. Copied stock sounds on some cars are a problem, but the much bigger annoyance are the custom exhaust sounds PD created from scratch, because most of those sound crap and their noise seems to be completely randomized.

:odd:

Get a grip put half as much effort in to getting your sound right as they do then see how you go instead of sitting back and hoping it's going to come to you...and stop being insulting...and ask a serious question to the man that does his best to give you so much....
"stop being insulting", that's a good one.

As someone else said, it has been adjusted in an update.
I haven't noticed any changes in that regard. I still find obnoxiously loud.

Besides, you can turn it down anyway
Oh, yes. The mute button works just perfectly fine.

I suggest the reason maybe sounds from other games sound better for you are they are not real and are spoofed up for you pleasure and lack of reasonable equipment
Not this again. We've been over this countless times. The vast maority of the cars in Gran Turismo sound poor regardless of equipment. Period.

I hope don't .

Fools!

Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office.gif

Back