Sounds: is it a hardware issue set to be resolved for the PS4? or what?

Kaz has answered this question in interviews many times. Memory is the issue. This has been stated time and time again. The PS3 has a 256MB GPU and 256 RAM!?

Remember -other games with better sounds often fall short in other areas - Physics engine, FPS, resolution, Cars on track, polygons, or AI. Having said this, sound improvements can happen on PS3 as they optimise the game, freeing up more memory.

There is also a question of realism. I totally agree that many car sounds in GT are not good enough, let me make that clear, but likewise in some other games I get into pretty small engined cars and they sound like a rocket ship! The direction, dynamics and realism of sound is often very good in GT6. Credit where its due.

Can't wait for GT7 on PS4 when this issue will be put to bed for good.

New method for creating sounds, I can grasp, and hope they pull it off (soon ;) ).

However, I have always realized that the cars and physics were the most important thing to/in GT, so the sounds have always taken a back seat to that.

With this much uproar, that is changing. However, change can be slow when you start the race late. ;)

New method for creating sounds, I can grasp, and hope they pull it off (soon ;) ).

However, I have always realized that the cars and physics were the most important thing to/in GT, so the sounds have always taken a back seat to that.

With this much uproar, that is changing. However, change can be slow when you start the race late. ;)
That's just a perception, I think. The very fact that they're doing something actually new means that it takes longer to complete. They didn't start late, they just haven't finished yet (for PS3; it'll be running on better hardware already, no doubt).

The signs were there in GT5P. :D

That's more what I meant. They are starting late on the "new" sound engine, so they are going to be a little late to THIS party (6).

That's more what I meant. They are starting late on the "new" sound engine, so they are going to be a little late to THIS party (6).
I meant that the PS4 version is probably already working, and the "lateness" is due to not being able to simplify that down for the PS3 without compromising the quality too much (the harshness of the Red Bull and Senna cars, for example). It is PD's party, after all. ;)

So the slow progress on the sound front is mostly behind us now, thankfully. I bet we'll have some real evidence of that before the year is up. :)

I believe Kaz pretty much stated he thinks the sounds are good as they are.
I believe 99.9% of the GT fanbase disagrees with him.
Wrong!
"Of course I myself am not satisfied with the sound in Gran Turismo, and to the players out there I can only say, uum, I’m really sorry.
The things imagined and pointed out by players are really accurate, and though avid GT players probably know the history of sound in the current GT, I’ll explain the background or the history of methods used from the past until the present just in case." -Kaz
From the Pitstop blog...

Wrong!
"Of course I myself am not satisfied with the sound in Gran Turismo, and to the players out there I can only say, uum, I’m really sorry.
The things imagined and pointed out by players are really accurate, and though avid GT players probably know the history of sound in the current GT, I’ll explain the background or the history of methods used from the past until the present just in case." -Kaz
From the Pitstop blog...
Double wrong, Kaz's thoughts on the idea in an interview from 2012

https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turis...e-kazunori-yamauchis-2012-gtplanet-interview/
My perspective is that the sounds in Gran Turismo are just too real. With the recording method we use, we use a dyno and put the load on, and the sound we produce is just too accurate

@Johnnypenso , You are BOTH right. He is sorry that the sounds are not satisfactory, but, he has built them to be as perfect as possible.

So saying, he has realized that there needs to be a shift, so he is now working on that, and has (now) stated that it may not be possible on the PS3. (Further on in your second quote above.)

Double wrong, Kaz's thoughts on the idea in an interview from 2012

https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turis...e-kazunori-yamauchis-2012-gtplanet-interview/
Triple wrong? (Is that how it works? I'm just being silly.)

https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5s-graphics-too-good-to-be-true/

The thing about reality is that the criteria for looking “real” are actually a lot stricter and volatile than you’d expect. The way the sun shines, reflects off something, the way it lights scenery – we seldom have the opportunity to see what we consider “reality” under the best and most aesthetically pleasing conditions.
When you see a race on television, compared to a race in a game, you realise that the reality isn’t as shiny or pleasant as the game.

"Of course, Yamauchi-san is correct, but you can’t help but smile at the irony of dynamic weather and time of day being two of the most-wanted features in GT5!"

It's interesting to note, from your link, that Kaz seemed to be softening us up for slightly rougher sounds even back then. He knew they would have difficulty with fidelity in their new method on PS3 (Red Bull, Senna.)

It's interesting to note, from your link, that Kaz seemed to be softening us up for slightly rougher sounds even back then. He knew they would have difficulty with fidelity in their new method on PS3 (Red Bull, Senna.)
In fairness to Kaz, I think he never really meant the sounds were too perfect, I think he meant too "pure", meaning it was just engine exhaust sound devoid of any of the idiosyncracies we normally associated with cars at speed on a race track. The aforementioned off throttle differences that recently popped up would be an example of that along with intake, shifting up, shifting down etc. At least I'm hoping that's what he meant and they introduce this stuff into the game for GT7, along with a whole new way to generate sound.

This explains everything.

It explains that if you turn EQ on you get a distorted engine sound that sounds like your speakers are inside a beer can. If that's "everything" then yeah, this video explains it. 👍

In fairness to Kaz, I think he never really meant the sounds were too perfect, I think he meant too "pure", meaning it was just engine exhaust sound devoid of any of the idiosyncracies we normally associated with cars at speed on a race track. The aforementioned off throttle differences that recently popped up would be an example of that along with intake, shifting up, shifting down etc. At least I'm hoping that's what he meant and they introduce this stuff into the game for GT7, along with a whole new way to generate sound.

The thing that I have never understood is how the engines don't "scream" when they get up in RPM's. What you just said here explains that in full.

There is FAARR more going on than JUST the exhaust note!

So we should be expecting some big updates from GT soon. I wonder what these big updates are ;)

Latest Posts

Back