Spa-Francorchamps is Not in GT Sport (Yet) Because of Licensing Issues

I thought Jimmy is a commentator, not an official spokesman.
Well he is a spokesperson for GT Sport. He's not limited to a commentary role, and why should he be?

Most important is the GT Sport is a game of Kaz and PD. It is spectacular and wonderful. The content is not so important. Because everything is free! Thank you Kaz!
Poor attempt at sarcasm.

I'm going on pure memory here, but wasn't Spa also announced, or at least known to be in development for GT5, and it took several updates for it to finally appear in the game?

I'm going on pure memory here, but wasn't Spa also announced, or at least known to be in development for GT5, and it took several updates for it to finally appear in the game?
It appeared when Spec 2.0 was released for the said game, I believe.

These same people who complain about paid DLC likely pay $100 per month for service on a $1000 IPhone that they will stand in line for 2 days to be the first one to have it. Go figure. I recieved GTS in Dec of 2017, I feel I have gotten far more than my money's worth of entertainment from it, PD owes me nothing other than improved game saves to promise that I dont end up with a corrupted save.

So true.

Personally at this stage I think charging for updates might be reasonable (though I'd prefer to see them raise funds by releasing the game as is, on a disc)... but, I'm not sure implementing paid track DLC would work very well, it becomes more like a pay to play model. Paid car packs is easier to get around, tracks not so much.

I understand it's a slippery slope and once you let that cat out of the bag its going to be hard get it back in.
The idea of releasing a content pack would be a great idea. A one time special pack with items not in the game due to licensing expenses. Like Spa, Lotus and who knows what else we might not be getting because of the cost.

Pass those expenses on to the consumer as paid DLC Pack and let them decide if its worth it or not. And for those who don't want to pay for it, well they are not losing anything anyway because this content was not going to make it in the game as free DLC anyway.

I 100% agree with you that releasing single track or car DLC is probably a bad idea and will not be well received as a DLC pack would be.

Last edited:
I understand it's a slippery slope and once you let that cat out of the bag its going to be hard get it back in.
The idea of releasing a content pack would be a great idea. A one time special pack with items not in the game due to licensing expenses. Like Spa, Lotus and who knows what else we might not be getting because of the cost.

Pass those expenses on to the consumer as paid DLC and let them decide if its worth it or not. And for those who don't want to pay for it, well they are not losing anything anyway because this content was not going to make it in the game as free DLC anyway.

I 100% agree with you that releasing single track or car DLC is probably a bad idea and will not be well received as a DLC pack would be.

It's more the implementation. Lets say Daily A and C where held at Spa, and the FIA races were at Spa, and we got 5 new GT League races at Spa. You'd be required to pay the fee for the DLC, to be able to compete, join in or 'complete' the game. It wouldn't just be paying for the track, it'd paying again to get all the functionality out of a game you'd already paid for. A car pack is less likely to exclude as many players, there's nearly always other choices when it comes to cars (except one make stuff obviously).

But, based on the rumour, we might get a new disc version as per my preference!

If Spa is confirmed to be a World Tour only track, my god we would see a meltdown in this community like never before.

That so called rumour was created/started on this forum without any basis or authority for it. Like Famine said elsewhere on this forum, chances are more likely that the track is not completely ready for release re. the red lights issue etc.

It's more the implementation. Lets say Daily A and C where held at Spa, and the FIA races were at Spa, and we got 5 new GT League races at Spa. You'd be required to pay the fee for the DLC, to be able to compete, join in or 'complete' the game. It wouldn't just be paying for the track, it'd paying again to get all the functionality out of a game you'd already paid for. A car pack is less likely to exclude as many players, there's nearly always other choices when it comes to cars (except one make stuff obviously).

But, based on the rumour, we might get a new disc version as per my preference!

So I have thought about that as well and obviously there is no way you could use it in Sport Mode or the FIA events as Paid DLC. You could probably get away with it in the online Time Trials but even then it would cause problems.
Having a Paid DLC pack would only be used for Single Player or Online Lobbies sections. There are definitely enough people who play in those two areas alone to still justify a paid DLC Pack and the content included would still see heavy use.

For me personally I would rather have content with limits on it's use rather than not having it at all. I think we have all probably experienced this in other games so it's definitely not out of the norm.

That so called rumour was created/started on this forum without any basis or authority for it. Like Famine said elsewhere on this forum, chances are more likely that the track is not completely ready for release re. the red lights issue etc.
I don't know if the premise of your comment is related to Spa in general or the rumour that it is only for world tours. But allow me to comment on your paraphrasing of famine: yes it would seem the new narative now is to claim that Spa is not complete so it is being held back. However, if you read the very last paragraph of the article that spawned this entire thread, it states that Spa is reportedly done and ready to go. All that is holding it back is the licensing issue. It would seem that the licensing issue is resolved so now the goalposts have moved... Actually a few times. First it was that the release of the update was too close to allow Sony to run through validation. Then now it is that it was not complete.
Now clearly, someone is feeding someone some bad info. Why no follow up?
If I may digress, I notice the same pattern in several issues. For instance, the community complained constantly about the lack of variety in the daily race schedule. The site admins had a candid interview with Kaz at the Paris tour where Kaz claimed not to have known about this issue and that it would be addressed. Does not seem to have benn addressed. Every week is still one or two of Fuji, Suzuka, kyoto os Tsukuba. Many other tracks ever see the light of day in the rotation. Yet the journalists here have never followed up on this. There have been two subsequent tour events and this issue a dthe bop issues are not addressed.
The people on this furum simply want some information. If things Don not go as planned, maybe some follow up. The game is brilliant. I, for instance have invested over $1,000 in accessories and a whole room in the house to play it. I have never done anything of the sort outside of woodworking. That the game is brilliant, though, does not mean that the creators are above reproach. This insistence that the community must be thankful is ridiculous and flies in the face of any sane product developer. if the track is not ready, it is not ready. That is fine. Just say so. And the journalists that are the representatives of the community should represent the community and seek these simple clarifications: Reports said Spa was done and ready, PD implied that it was coming soon in their, now, infamous tweet. Yet now crickets. And the journalists, rather than seek clarification from PD, are are theorizing excuses for the delay.

Anyway, SPA is not really that great anyway. I like what we have so really, I will now get back to enjoying the game when I have time.

I don't know if the premise of your comment is related to Spa in general or the rumour that it is only for world tours. But allow me to comment on your paraphrasing of famine: yes it would seem the new narative now is to claim that Spa is not complete so it is being held back. However, if you read the very last paragraph of the article that spawned this entire thread, it states that Spa is reportedly done and ready to go. All that is holding it back is the licensing issue. It would seem that the licensing issue is resolved so now the goalposts have moved... Actually a few times. First it was that the release of the update was too close to allow Sony to run through validation. Then now it is that it was not complete.
If I may digress, I notice the same pattern in several issues. For instance, the community complained constantly about the lack of variety in the daily race schedule. The site admins had a candid interview with Kaz at the Paris tour where Kaz claimed not to have known about this issue and that it would be addressed. Does not seem to have benn addressed. Every week is still one or two of Fuji, Suzuka, kyoto os Tsukuba. Many other tracks ever see the light of day in the rotation. Yet the journalists here have never followed up on this. There have been two subsequent tour events and this issue a dthe bop issues are not addressed.
The people on this furum simply want some information. If things Don not go as planned, maybe some follow up. The game is brilliant. I, for instance have invested over $1,000 in accessories and a whole room in the house to play it. I have never done anything of the sort outside of woodworking. That the game is brilliant, though, does not mean that the creators are above reproach. This insistence that the community must be thankful is ridiculous and flies in the face of any sane product developer. if the track is not ready, it is not ready. That is fine. Just say so. And the journalists that are the representatives of the community should represent the community and seek these simple clarifications: Reports said Spa was done and ready, PD implied that it was coming soon in their, now, infamous tweet. Yet now crickets. And the journalists, rather than seek clarification from PD, are are theorizing excuses for the delay.

Anyway, SPA is not really that great anyway. I like what we have so really, I will now get back to enjoying the game when I have time.

How exactly would you suggest they go about following up on these articles? It's not like they've got a direct line to PD, GTP is an independent website that is not officially affiliated with anything to do with the game. The people who write the articles often do it in their spare time, they're not paid journalists.

You seem to be conflating forum posts with articles. If we had confirmed reasons why Spa is yet to make an appearance, we'd write an article on it, not make a forum post about it. You'll also notice that the word "reportedly" within the article modifies the concept of track's readiness from confirmed to rumoured.

You also seem to think that journalism is as easy as asking whatever question you want because the person you're asking will be compelled to answer. It doesn't work like that - nor does what we're not writing articles on mean we've failed to do any investigation on the topics. You are welcome to try, however.

You seem to be conflating forum posts with articles. If we had confirmed reasons why Spa is yet to make an appearance, we'd write an article on it, not make a forum post about it. You'll also notice that the word "reportedly" within the article modifies the concept of track's readiness from confirmed to rumoured.

You also seem to think that journalism is as easy as asking whatever question you want because the person you're asking will be compelled to answer. It doesn't work like that - nor does what we're not writing articles on mean we've failed to do any investigation on the topics. You are welcome to try, however.
You seem to be taking offense. None was meant but you are free to misunderstand.
I completely understand the qualifiers in the articles. Now please clarify for me as your teams have in the past mentioned going to world tour events. At those events, there are press availabilities. My confusion is this: if you go to these events and have opportunities to meet with the publishers and ask questions, why can't you follow up on the issues you were promised the last time would be resolved, that clearly were not. If they do not answer, you can then inform the community that you followed up and did not get a response. Simple, I think.
I also understand that your not writing an article does not mean you have not investigated. But if you do write an article implying one thing and then months later are compelled to move the goalposts so to say, maybe better to update the article? For instance, I think your post on the incometeness of the track is the most succinct explanation for the Spa delay. I think it is actually an informed post based on abservation and some inside information. Maybe that should be added as an update to the original article. That is what I mean by following up. I actually have to seem like Im having a go at you because in a whinge fest thread, I always look for the purple post to bri g logic and perspective.
On the daily races though, I still feel Kaz lied to you and there was never any plan to improve anything. I get the feeling that he sya things, does not follow through, no one asks him about it and we all go on like nothing ever happened and move on the the next utterance from on high. My opinion, so I can stand to be corrected.

You seem to be taking offense
Nope. Merely pointing out the gulf between what you think we should do, and what we can and actually do.
But if you do write an article implying one thing and then months later are compelled to move the goalposts so to say, maybe better to update the article?
There's no real need. Lots of things change over time - just check out the microtransaction thing that definitely wasn't happening and then... did - and it's simply better to write new things that refer to the old things than to go back and continually change what we wrote at the time. It's better to keep a record of what was happening at the time, and revisit it later.

Indeed if we kept going back and changing things, we'd be rewriting history, and we'd have people queuing up to accuse us of doing so out of favoritism towards Polyphony. We do sometimes amend articles about events that are happening (I did one earlier this week, changing the article on the update to reflect the information about the cars) because it's better to do that than to saturate our channels with the same news piece slightly changed - we'd have people queuing up to accuse us of clickbaiting.

Last edited:
If it's still not here in a month something is up. Otherwise it's just PD taking their time as usual. Squeezing Michelin signs into every stage clearly took priority, lol.

Nope. Merely pointing out the gulf between what you think we should do, and what we can and actually do.

There's no real need. Lots of things change over time - just check out the microtransaction thing that definitely wasn't happening and then... did - and it's simply better to write new things that refer to the old things than to go back and continually change what we wrote at the time. It's better to keep a record of what was happening at the time, and revisit it later.

Indeed if we kept going back and changing things, we'd be rewriting history, and we'd have people queuing up to accuse us of doing so out of favoritism towards Polyphony. We do sometimes amend articles about events that are happening (I did one earlier this week, changing the article on the update to reflect the information about the cars) because it's better to do that than to saturate our channels with the same news piece slightly changed - we'd have people queuing up to accuse us of clickbaiting.
Point take re revisiting articles. Not convinced on Kaz's shiftiness but we can leave it at that. Thanks.

BTW, what does it mean when some members have a premium tag? Is it some paid tier? I think I would like to contribute as this forum (among others) really helps me pass time during dull days as work such as now.

Last edited:
Just go back to the GT5 & GT6 days when PD was famously known for saying or promising something for the game like bug fixes, new changes or new content only to never deliver on it.
What PD has been doing lately for GTS is definitely out of the norm for them especially if one takes a look at their past practice.
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if PD just stopped putting new content in this game without ever giving anyone an explanation.

Last edited:
Just go back to the GT5 & GT6 days when PD was famously known for saying or promising something for the game like bug fixes, new changes or new content only to never deliver on it.
What PD has been doing lately for GTS is definitely out of the norm for them especially if one takes a look at their past practice.
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if PD just stopped putting new content in this game without ever giving anyone an explanation.
This is why I love GT Sport. The content updates haves just been awesome considering how bad things went for GT5 and GT6.

Other games has no problem to pay Spa license.
I bet that there is more in this story than just license fee.

Unless we know for certain that those other studios were offered the license under the same terms and at the same price point as PD then that's a pointless comparison. As Jordan pointed out on the first page of this thread the license holders know how well off different studios are and they will charge accordingly!

The chance that SPA would be a paid addon and/or even worse, never appear in the game after being presented at a major GT-Sport event is simply crazy. The backlash would be more costly than any licensing fee. Everyone that follows GT-Sport and racing games knows that Spa is on the way, it was featured in PDs most high profile PR event, as a track that is featured in GT-Sport. It will come when it is done.

The chance that SPA would be a paid addon and/or even worse, never appear in the game after being presented at a major GT-Sport event is simply crazy. The backlash would be more costly than any licensing fee. Everyone that follows GT-Sport and racing games knows that Spa is on the way, it was featured in PDs most high profile PR event, as a track that is featured in GT-Sport. It will come when it is done.
It looked to me as if it was done. Why else feature it an a major event? And if it isn't done, why not communicate that to the community?

Just my opinion:

The thing about having a track as paid DLC is that it divides the racing community a bit more than paid DLC cars.

Hear me out: Cars as paid DLC are less problematic because if a given event is on a track everyone has access to and the event allows for the use of several different cars from a particular class most, if not all, will be able to participate.

However, if the track is paid DLC it eliminated the possibility for all who have not purchased it.

While paying for DLC is not ideal, I feel that it puts PD at a competitive disadvantage by not using this method. GT Sport is so graphically exact and brilliant that the amount of time to produce one car is enormous compared to other titles. Content is the lifeblood of games now a days and consumers can never get enough.

Paid DLC would ruin Gran Turismo. This isn't EA or Activision it's Sony's flagship driving title. Paid DLC reminds me of the bums that beg for change at intersections. It's unbecoming and embarrassing.
Its unbecoming, because microtransactions probably provide better results and GTS offers them. I can't wait for SPA :)

In what way would the backlash cost them? Those who have purchased the game have already handed over their money and so far all of the updates to the game have been free.

It looked to me as if it was done. Why else feature it an a major event? And if it isn't done, why not communicate that to the community?

If the track doesn't make it into the game it will become a meme and draw headlines all over the internet, it will be a backlash to last into the next GT game.

I only saw the bits i saw on the stream, i did not see AI cars on the tracks, neither did i see all the different time of day settings with the needed tweaks, what i saw was a track that could be raced on, i would not put any money on it being done, there could be lots of work to do.

And PD never tells us anything, so why should they do it now? For all we know this was a preview and it is somewhere in the pipeline along with all the other content that has been released and will be released.

Its unbecoming, because microtransactions probably provide better results and GTS offers them. I can't wait for SPA :)

I'm fine wth offering a shortcut to buying cars you can buy in the game easily but if they start charging for tracks I'm out.

My confusion is this: if you go to these events and have opportunities to meet with the publishers and ask questions, why can't you follow up on the issues you were promised the last time would be resolved, that clearly were not. If they do not answer, you can then inform the community that you followed up and did not get a response. Simple, I think.

Hey there, just saw this, so wanted to address it: I was the GTPlanet person at the recent Salzburg event, and while I had a variety of questions on hand in case of an interview, there were zero opportunities to have an on-the-record chat with Yamauchi.

If the track doesn't make it into the game it will become a meme and draw headlines all over the internet

I think you're overestimating the reach of such a thing.

Back