Spa-Francorchamps is Not in GT Sport (Yet) Because of Licensing Issues

Surely PD would've had to have made a deal 'before' starting track development, let alone finishing it. Otherwise they would've just been wasting their time making a track that they might not ever have been able to even add. It would make more sense for them to 'start' development on a track 'after' a deal has been made, surely?

Feel free to correct my logic. That's just how I'm thinking is all.

Surely PD would've had to have made a deal 'before' starting track development, let alone finishing it. Otherwise they would've just been wasting their time making a track that they might not ever have been able to even add. It would make more sense for them to 'start' development on it 'after' a deal has been made, surely?

They did the same thing with the removed Lotus cars.

Very little dev time goes towards touching up the GT5/GT6 tracks such as Spa. It’s probably been ready since before launch.

Not surprised with this, Kunos have this problem back then when Suzuka get one of most requested track along with Nords and Laguna Seca. But they can't pull it because it ridiculous high price.

Bet Kunos get "half-price" because they kind some of indie developer back then, kinda suck for PD but they better not pay big money for that. With same amount money they will get another 2 or 3 track maybe I found that better.

Surely PD would've had to have made a deal 'before' starting track development, let alone finishing it. Otherwise they would've just been wasting their time making a track that they might not ever have been able to even add. It would make more sense for them to 'start' development on a track 'after' a deal has been made, surely?

PD also made the 911 way back in GT3. THe Evora for GT Sport. I guess some assets stayed locked until deals are struck.

Try millions. If I remember the last track that had high fees I remember it be way more than I thought it would. It cost enough for them to go through all the trouble of making it and holding it.
It's not really the subject but .... Just to give a rough idea if how it work .... before lance stroll' carreer really started there was a rumor that his father had "rented" spa, engineers and a Williams test car for private tryouts. The rumor was later confirmed and the price tag was in the 8 digits zone .... And that was the high 8 digits zone !!

I can't imagine what they charged for the use of the race track and i can't imagine what they want for the licensing !

Except if PD gives in and buy the license at a premium price, then other track holders could increase their license fee according to the source, and we all end up with more important tracks missing in future games because everything just got much more expensive for them. So not only will you end up with where's Spa, now you're possibly dealing with where's Nurburgring, can we get Le Mans, where's Bathurst etc all over this board.

Sony and the FIA are irrelevant. They're not the gaming developers, and in no way tied to track promotors. Business isn't "let's have a chat". Business is about solely just profit margins at the end of the day.

PD aren't going to jeopardise things or hamper themselves over one circuit. Good on them for sticking to their guns.

Can't have profit margins without deals. And deals always start with chatting.

I agree, PD is doing the right thing by not giving in to the track promoters' ridiculous asking price. Good on them. I just wish EVERYONE shared the same intellect and sentiment on this matter, but alas, the internet is full of entitled kids who don't hesitate to outright refuse whatever legitimate or logical explanation is handed to them in the most polite way possible. At this point I don't care who caves in to pressure first, I just want the ceasless complaints to stop so that PD can direct that focus on other stuff and the entitled kids actually appreciate what the game has to offer.

I just don't want the "too little, too late" scenario happening here. That's all.

Last edited:

Just one single circuit being abandoned? That’s nothing. The gaming industry is filled with entire games, years of development being canceled with huge sunk costs completely lost.

The optimistic side of me says this is some sort of elaborate early April fools thread and we're getting Spa tomorrow.
Still, many interesting points in this thread.

Anyway, I think PD opening out about this could mean they're getting somewhere, otherwise they'd keep their lips sealed.
Or negotiations have gotten so bad or stopped completely and this approach is a change of tact or even a last ditch effort by PD?

The FIA want real tracks to be within a certain set of limits and making a real track under a different name probably goes against what the FIA want.
So this is very bad in regards to any possible return of Cote d'azur?

It's interesting to see there're so many people that don't care about SPA. I think it's about enjoying it extensively in the older series and games. As a rather recent sim racer, I would sacrifice 2-3 tracks just for SPA. I'm hopeful the deal is soon, can't wait to see it on GTS!

It's interesting to see there're so many people that don't care about SPA. I think it's about enjoying it extensively in the older series and games. As a rather recent sim racer, I would sacrifice 2-3 tracks just for SPA. I'm hopeful the deal is soon, can't wait to see it on GTS!

Gt sport is not a sim.

No, this could not be the real reason. Why should be the license for Spa so much expansive? Spa is included in Project Cars, F1 and Assetto Corsa. And I think, the last game is the real problem. Assetto Corsa is official partner of the Blancpain GT-Championship. So Assetto Corsa got it exclusive as partner of the 24-h-Spa-Race.

But I have the solution: They should bring back the TrackEditor!!!!!! With a good TrackEditor it would be possible to remake every track in the world. And PD could offer TrackEditor-Tracks for GT Sport-Competitions (tracks like Circuito de la Sierra in GT6).

I dont think real tracks are up to Fia. Money will come out from Pd not Fia. If Fia wants their Spa licensed in Gt sport then they can give the money. If they are not willing to give then they should shut their mouth. Imho.

Actually the FIA do have a input into the real tracks that are in the game (The whole point is they want the FIA standard thing they were on about on the tracks). While it's not there decision about which tracks potentially make it in, they have to be within a certain margin of the real tracks in accuracy. We've literally asked this at live events. Custom tracks when I asked they said they let PD sort out as they believe they do a fantastic job with this already (I agree with that opinion as well). Me, you, nobody apart from PD and the FIA knows the official contract but they won't want to just do a gimmick of Spa for the same of gimmicks I can bet you that much that's for sure, and who actually wants a gimmick?

In the end if Spa don't want to be in the game because they think they command some insane premium there are plenty of other tracks in the world that would love to be in GT Sport I bet, so bring on those.

So this is very bad in regards to any possible return of Cote d'azur?

As someone said earlier that's an even more grey area because it's real roads in that area, however I'd be doubtful just based on what I said above.

Because GT was never about real tracks? GT2 and GT3 were two very successful games with only one real track. The sim racers are only a very small share of the players. If there were that many sim racers, Assetto Corsa or Project Cars should be a juggernaut on PS4 like GT in the past. I think Poly and Sony knows the non sim racers / casual are far more important and the next game will be different.

I've never really enjoyed Spa. Sure, Eau Rouge and the few corners after it are OK, but the second half is nondescript. I know Hockenheim isn't universally lauded, but I always preferred that more.

Like Queleuleu said PD actually can live with lot random fictional track too while we still need real one but if Spa like this better off.

Not about not care we care, but seeing the reality like this better being off deal like this rather than accepted the deal it will effected on future when they trying get other track license. Even not only PD, it can effect to other developer too price can hike up if they just accepted that so you can guess it will make dev get lesser get track or even make paid dlc more. And there's LOT track that have more appeal than Spa like Road Atlanta, Adelaide, Portimao, or many other that maybe have more cheaper than Spa

So maybe rain too has licence issues...

or engine limitation :lol:

It's been in pretty much every racing game I own, so I do not care if it returns to GT. I would rather see another track that isn't common in racing games, similar to Autopolis.

Last edited:
Back