Spa-Francorchamps is Not in GT Sport (Yet) Because of Licensing Issues

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Mar 26, 2019.

1. PSN offapple

PSN offapple

Surely PD would've had to have made a deal 'before' starting track development, let alone finishing it. Otherwise they would've just been wasting their time making a track that they might not ever have been able to even add. It would make more sense for them to 'start' development on a track 'after' a deal has been made, surely?

Feel free to correct my logic. That's just how I'm thinking is all.

BjoBosUndies and Fosterions like this.
  2. ARTAsean

ARTAsean (Banned)

They did the same thing with the removed Lotus cars.

Very little dev time goes towards touching up the GT5/GT6 tracks such as Spa. It’s probably been ready since before launch.

Sander 001 likes this.
  3. Baliwa

Baliwa Premium

Not surprised with this, Kunos have this problem back then when Suzuka get one of most requested track along with Nords and Laguna Seca. But they can't pull it because it ridiculous high price.

Bet Kunos get "half-price" because they kind some of indie developer back then, kinda suck for PD but they better not pay big money for that. With same amount money they will get another 2 or 3 track maybe I found that better.

4. 05XR8

05XR8

PD also made the 911 way back in GT3. THe Evora for GT Sport. I guess some assets stayed locked until deals are struck.

5. Pururut

Pururut

Ahh Istanbul Park and corner 8. Its a shame its not holded by any motorsports anymore. :guilty:

6. Gersicer

Gersicer

It's not really the subject but .... Just to give a rough idea if how it work .... before lance stroll' carreer really started there was a rumor that his father had "rented" spa, engineers and a Williams test car for private tryouts. The rumor was later confirmed and the price tag was in the 8 digits zone .... And that was the high 8 digits zone !!

I can't imagine what they charged for the use of the race track and i can't imagine what they want for the licensing !

splitwindow likes this.
  7. Skygrasper550

Skygrasper550 Premium

Can't have profit margins without deals. And deals always start with chatting.

I agree, PD is doing the right thing by not giving in to the track promoters' ridiculous asking price. Good on them. I just wish EVERYONE shared the same intellect and sentiment on this matter, but alas, the internet is full of entitled kids who don't hesitate to outright refuse whatever legitimate or logical explanation is handed to them in the most polite way possible. At this point I don't care who caves in to pressure first, I just want the ceasless complaints to stop so that PD can direct that focus on other stuff and the entitled kids actually appreciate what the game has to offer.

I just don't want the "too little, too late" scenario happening here. That's all.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    DJShadesUK, Muller_cj and Sander 001 like this.
  8. Sander 001

Sander 001

Just one single circuit being abandoned? That’s nothing. The gaming industry is filled with entire games, years of development being canceled with huge sunk costs completely lost.

9. BrunusCL82

BrunusCL82

Give me Mugello. Its enough.

10. coltsjugg

coltsjugg

I’d rather a track we don’t have in games yet. Something different. I feel like it’s getting call of duty 4 and the “new” dlc map is just spa from call of duty 1.

11. SimTourist

SimTourist

Personally, I don't care, Spa has been in so many games over the last 10 or so years, that it has become stale, boring and predictable for me. I'd rather they pull their weight and location advantage to bring some lesser known Japanese/Asian tracks, something that we don't see much in western racers.

12. F1FOUAD

F1FOUAD

@PD give us the Japanese Spa Sugo Sportsland :gtpflag:

13. forzaturismo

forzaturismo

:( please give PD some discount on SPA track please.....:bowdown:

14. Skygrasper550

Skygrasper550 Premium

With the Super Formula content coming in to GT Sport, Sugo is bound to arrive in a future update. Only question is when.

05XR8 and Lord Protector like this.
  15. Scuderia Paul

Scuderia Paul

I hope so. SuperGT races there too though and we've never got the circuit. Don't get your hopes up.

16. Lord Protector

Lord Protector

There are so many great tracks I would love to drive on in GTS I could not care less WHEN Spa comes... I for one would trade it for Ebisu :D

F1FOUAD, ArR29, VXR and 1 other person like this.
  17. TonyJZX

TonyJZX

Kaz should set up a gofundme for Spa...

Lord Protector and StealthVel like this.
  18. splitwindow

splitwindow

The optimistic side of me says this is some sort of elaborate early April fools thread and we're getting Spa tomorrow.
    Still, many interesting points in this thread.

Or negotiations have gotten so bad or stopped completely and this approach is a change of tact or even a last ditch effort by PD?

So this is very bad in regards to any possible return of Cote d'azur?

BrunusCL82 likes this.
  19. TonyJZX

TonyJZX

I seriously dont think the FIA gives a crap about whatever tracks come to PD...

DJShadesUK and Pururut like this.
  20. saros34

saros34

It's interesting to see there're so many people that don't care about SPA. I think it's about enjoying it extensively in the older series and games. As a rather recent sim racer, I would sacrifice 2-3 tracks just for SPA. I'm hopeful the deal is soon, can't wait to see it on GTS!

21. coltsjugg

coltsjugg

Gt sport is not a sim.

eMc0B likes this.
  22. driver_8

driver_8

No, this could not be the real reason. Why should be the license for Spa so much expansive? Spa is included in Project Cars, F1 and Assetto Corsa. And I think, the last game is the real problem. Assetto Corsa is official partner of the Blancpain GT-Championship. So Assetto Corsa got it exclusive as partner of the 24-h-Spa-Race.

But I have the solution: They should bring back the TrackEditor!!!!!! With a good TrackEditor it would be possible to remake every track in the world. And PD could offer TrackEditor-Tracks for GT Sport-Competitions (tracks like Circuito de la Sierra in GT6).

23. Tidgney

Tidgney Premium

Actually the FIA do have a input into the real tracks that are in the game (The whole point is they want the FIA standard thing they were on about on the tracks). While it's not there decision about which tracks potentially make it in, they have to be within a certain margin of the real tracks in accuracy. We've literally asked this at live events. Custom tracks when I asked they said they let PD sort out as they believe they do a fantastic job with this already (I agree with that opinion as well). Me, you, nobody apart from PD and the FIA knows the official contract but they won't want to just do a gimmick of Spa for the same of gimmicks I can bet you that much that's for sure, and who actually wants a gimmick?

In the end if Spa don't want to be in the game because they think they command some insane premium there are plenty of other tracks in the world that would love to be in GT Sport I bet, so bring on those.

As someone said earlier that's an even more grey area because it's real roads in that area, however I'd be doubtful just based on what I said above.

NosOsH, L8 Apex, Marcobzzcs and 5 others like this.
  24. queleuleu

queleuleu

Because GT was never about real tracks? GT2 and GT3 were two very successful games with only one real track. The sim racers are only a very small share of the players. If there were that many sim racers, Assetto Corsa or Project Cars should be a juggernaut on PS4 like GT in the past. I think Poly and Sony knows the non sim racers / casual are far more important and the next game will be different.

25. VXR

VXR

I've never really enjoyed Spa. Sure, Eau Rouge and the few corners after it are OK, but the second half is nondescript. I know Hockenheim isn't universally lauded, but I always preferred that more.

StealthVel and LotusEvoraGTE like this.
  26. TonyJZX

TonyJZX

Nah to that. Spa is good everywhere. Nary a dull spot.

New Hockenheim sucks, old Hockenheim is pretty decent though.

Clean Racer and splitwindow like this.
  27. GiuliettaQV82

GiuliettaQV82

So maybe rain too has licence issues...

eMc0B, kilesa4568, ice311man and 3 others like this.
  28. Baliwa

Baliwa Premium

Like Queleuleu said PD actually can live with lot random fictional track too while we still need real one but if Spa like this better off.

Not about not care we care, but seeing the reality like this better being off deal like this rather than accepted the deal it will effected on future when they trying get other track license. Even not only PD, it can effect to other developer too price can hike up if they just accepted that so you can guess it will make dev get lesser get track or even make paid dlc more. And there's LOT track that have more appeal than Spa like Road Atlanta, Adelaide, Portimao, or many other that maybe have more cheaper than Spa

or engine limitation :lol:

29. QC YALUM

QC YALUM

Hopefully :p

30. MikeV27

MikeV27

It's been in pretty much every racing game I own, so I do not care if it returns to GT. I would rather see another track that isn't common in racing games, similar to Autopolis.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    yas and QC YALUM like this.