Spa-Francorchamps is Not in GT Sport (Yet) Because of Licensing Issues

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Mar 26, 2019.

1. TetsuKobura

TetsuKobura Premium

To be fair the paid DLC argument goes both ways with tracks and cars. If there was a scenario with a certain DLC car, that would cause issues as well.

2. GTPorsche

GTPorsche

Licensing involves money, so yes, this is a licensing issue.

LMSCorvetteGT2 likes this.
  3. Lukanyon

Lukanyon

I can make it easier:

1. Buy either pCARS 2 or Assetto Corsa.

eMc0B and Beezer215 like this.
  4. Skygrasper550

Skygrasper550 Premium

IF PD already has the track fully modeled and ready to push out with just a button press, at this point I'd rather Sony just shell out the money so that everyone could stop :censored: complaining and :censored: about it. Honestly, EVERY DAMN UPDATE THREAD I see there's always "Spa here Spa there Spa pleaseeeee Spa Spa Spa Spa Spa Spa Spa Spa Spa" it's just annoying at this point.

Or, if Sony isn't willing to shell out that amount, PD should use their connections with the FIA to leverage some of that or have them talk with the license holders to turn down the price a bit.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2019
    Pururut likes this.
  5. Lukanyon

Lukanyon

But seriously, I prefer when they bring either their own original tracks, like Sainte-Croix, or real tracks that are not in other current games, like Autopolis.
    I couldn't care less about Spa, as I can already drive it in other games. But where else can I drive Deep Forest?

SecretAgentZero likes this.
  6. Pururut

Pururut

On older Gran turismo games. For now.

7. MMX

MMX Premium

Good, now bring on some classic, or new originals. They're usually more fun than real tracks anyway.

8. ARTAsean

ARTAsean (Banned)

Yes this is exactly what happened. Sony knows very well what other studios are paying and what they’ve paid in the past. The owners tried to pull a fast one on Sony and Sony called their bluff. Now, the track & its licensers look bad — real bad. They’ll either cave in to the bad publicity, or they’ll realize how poor of a decision it is to leave money on the table, and take Sony’s offer. Mark my words.

9. Lukanyon

Lukanyon

Yeah, but they're working on bringing it back. For me that's more exciting than Spa.

AgentBlackDog likes this.
  10. Stephan

Stephan Premium

Now this is what I like. I'd rather have PD bring in new original tracks or bring in real tracks that aren't in the series yet.

Though I still would like to see SSR11 making a return.

Pigems likes this.
  11. Pururut

Pururut

Me too. I cant wait to see a fully reworked deep forest.

TheProRacer, VXR, hrusa2 and 4 others like this.
  12. GT_Alex74

GT_Alex74

To be honest, the Nurburgring (at least the Nordschleife part) hasn't been in the best financial situation these last years. I don't think negociating that hard over licensing fees would be profitable for them if that meant a studio stopped including the track in their games.

13. Vspectra

Vspectra

Except if PD gives in and buy the license at a premium price, then other track holders could increase their license fee according to the source, and we all end up with more important tracks missing in future games because everything just got much more expensive for them. So not only will you end up with where's Spa, now you're possibly dealing with where's Nurburgring, can we get Le Mans, where's Bathurst etc all over this board.

14. Pururut

Pururut

Exactly. Pd is doing right thing to not buy it.

15. 05XR8

05XR8

Title reads "(yet)". Who is at a loss if the track ins't included in GTS? Does it make a difference whether it's in or not?

A game like F1 2019, is probably essential that track is in. Maybe a proper GT3 game like AC. Any other game, probably not as much.

16. Kirayama08

Kirayama08

I have to go with PD this time, although that I really wanted Spa to be included in the GT Sport track list. But with the license fee issue, thus it can trigger other tracks to raise the fee also. This will also make future games more expensive to make and pushed the developers to sell games at higher price with lots of unnecessarily expensive paid DLC.

StealthVel likes this.
  17. FoxMulder

FoxMulder

Then how do other games manage. Other games like PCars and Forza have all these real world tracks. They don't sell as well as GT too.

Fantasy and japanese tracks are nice, but I just think a game so closely affiliated with the FIA needs more of the real world FIA tracks.

18. eltorrente

eltorrente

I wonder how much Trial Mountain costs them to license.. it must be crazy expensive.

ESEK likes this.
  19. dylpro

dylpro

The most shocking part of this article for me was that it’s been over a year since the Mk4 Supra update.

xxy98cn and StealthVel like this.
  20. Skygrasper550

Skygrasper550 Premium

Well, licensing DOES involve money, soooo...

DJShadesUK likes this.
  21. LegendofGT

LegendofGT

There's no licensing issues with COTA or Laguna Seca, right?

.....right???

22. Vspectra

Vspectra

Jordan explained it in the first page.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...use-of-licensing-issues.386391/#post-12685337

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  23. SestoScudo

SestoScudo

If this is true we are better off without spa.

Bring in Imola, Hockenheim, Istanbul Park and other worthy tracks also bring in the classic iconic GT tracks.

If spa wants to play hardball there is other alternatives.

Marcobzzcs, BrunusCL82 and tuyang like this.
  24. GaLbaNoryes

GaLbaNoryes

The other games are smaller. It doesn't cost the same to put Spa on PC than it does on GT.

25. Furi

Furi Premium

So this proves three things:

1) In shocking news, circuit owners recognises a big company interest in their circuit and use common sense business techniques to try get more money for themselves.

2) Mass areas of the internet and element's of forums such as this place will show no understanding of how business works

3) update comment areas on here and likewise the site will be full of crying plebs each time with nothing better to do.

Sony and the FIA are irrelevant. They're not the gaming developers, and in no way tied to track promotors. Business isn't "let's have a chat". Business is about solely just profit margins at the end of the day.

PD aren't going to jeopardise things or hamper themselves over one circuit. Good on them for sticking to their guns.

Oshawa-Joe, ddm, DJShadesUK and 12 others like this.
  26. NevilleNobody

NevilleNobody

THIS!!

Road America
    Road Atlanta
    Donington
    Osterrrblachaaan
    Phillip island
    oulton park
    Mosport

Imagine just those 7 tracks, just imagine. The variety, the ability to use different cars, itd be awesome.

27. Furi

Furi Premium

I'm an Oulton Park local (ish), and I love the place but for UK tracks Donington and Knockhill deserve priority.

Also you are aware you can use different cars in game now right... :odd:

BrunusCL82 likes this.
  28. Groundfish

Groundfish Premium

Yep. Spa schma. I agree with PD. DONT FORGET LAGUNA SECA LOL.

29. azrilnazli

azrilnazli

Phillip Island
    COTA
    Charlotte new Roval
    Daytona Rising Roval
    Watkins Glen
    Sepang F1
    Road America
    Imola

30. Atwork

Atwork

Try millions. If I remember the last track that had high fees I remember it be way more than I thought it would. It cost enough for them to go through all the trouble of making it and holding it.