Spec GTP: Formula Mazda - Series Complete!

• Thread starter SlipZtrEm
  • 272 comments

Stock or Tuned? Which tracks would you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It sounded demonic. Have you been reading Aleister Crowley books or something?
Would Alan Moore's "Promethea" count? I do have the sound coming through a separate speaker system for a true stereo sound with the TV volume turned down to zero. Maybe next time I'll turn off the speakers and try just the TV sound instead.

We'll be doing the chicaned version, with the wiggle at Uphill and the more technical back half. I'm not near the console, and can never remember what the actual name is. :lol:

I'm also going to set us an actual race lap amount, extrapolated from the leaderboards to get to 40-45min.

Here's my tune for this week, I'll make it available for download once I can connect to the Forza servers again.

Upgrades
See OP

Tuning
Tyre pressure: 28.5 / 28.0

Gearing: 2.75 / 3.10 / 2.13 / 1.70 / 1.41 / 1.23

Camber: -1.5 / -1.0
Toe: 0.0 / -0.1
Caster: 5.5

ARBs: 15.94 / 10.09

Springs: 342.0 / 325.1
Ride height: 1.4 / 2.3

Rebound: 8.5 / 9.6
Bump: 5.9 / 7.0

Downforce: 248 / 331

Brake balance: 53%
Brake pressure: 140% (Personal preference here)

Diff-Accel: 65%
Diff-Decel: 35%

Are we aiming for the same start time today? 20:00 GMT with practice before that? I'm going to get smoked lol, I've seen a lot of your times at lime rock..it will still be a fun time. 👍

Also, is it the Full circuit, or the Full Circuit Alt we are running?

Last edited:
If it works for everyone else, earlier would be better, like practice starting at 18:00 or 18:30 with the race following on.
Main reason I think we started so late last week was the Daytona 24 ending when it did. Figure this week the earlier we can start the better, for anyone who wants to take in the Super Bowl or whatever.

Also, I believe we will be running the Full Circuit Alt. The one with both chicanes.

If earlier is preferable, I can push it to what @HighSeasHoMastr suggested. I don't think many of us are concerned with the Superb Owl - I need to watch the commercials, that's it - but if people would rather, we can do that. 18:30 GMT would be in 95 minutes.

@prousonhairy - Full Circuit Alt is correct. 👍

It looks like I'll be able to make it after all. 2000 GMT is noon here in Seattle, and I promised I'd visit my dad at the senior care home he's living in now and watch the game with him. That's at 3:30 my time, so there should be plenty of time.

@Populuxe Cowboy I have plans I absolutely can not miss at 2:30 PM PST also, so as long as things actually start on-time I think we'll both be fine.

Haven't heard from most of the participants though, which is slightly concerning.

@SlipZtrEm what is the cut-off here, if not everyone is online at 20:00..?

We'll give everybody 15min to get into the room. After that, we'll get to the main event. I realize people may have other plans, so I don't want to keep us tied up as long as last time!

Race will be a 45 lap affair. This should put us somewhere between 42-45 minutes total, depending on lap times. I'll be extending the time after the winner crosses the line to a few minutes.

Also, for those that can't tune (like me), grab @Im_Lukas' tune for Lime Rock off the store front. Tames the rear end nicely!

Last edited:
I'm going to be sitting this one out. Not feeling to good today, making it harder to concentrate. Hell, I'm still in bed lol.

I'll give it a few minutes for the Cowboy to enter.

For the race, if anybody disconnects before the five minute mark, we will reset. Hopefully that won't happen, especially numerous times.

Oh yeah, don't forget to set your assists! Damage needs to be individually set to Cosmetic, so we can avoid the mess from last week. :lol:

Oh yeah, don't forget to set your assists! Damage needs to be individually set to Cosmetic, so we can avoid the mess from last week. :lol:
I forgot to do this. Fortunately the only damage I did was to myself. I stopped paying attention for a moment and hit the tire barrier on the inside of turn 1. Did massive damage to the front of my car, had to limp it into the pits to fix it.

I forgot to do this. Fortunately the only damage I did was to myself. I stopped paying attention for a moment and hit the tire barrier on the inside of turn 1. Did massive damage to the front of my car, had to limp it into the pits to fix it.

Crap, so that's why you were in the pits. I noticed on the map, but your mic had gone from over-sharing to silence on my end, so couldn't tell what had happened. :(

Sorry to hear that @Populuxe Cowboy wondered how you ended up in there!

Great race guys! I'll write up a report later tonight and post it, gotta get going soon so no time right now. I have shared the replay though, tagged with GTPlanet and all manner of other things.

I was wondering what happened there, for a moment I thought maybe we had fuel and tyre wear on :lol:.

Good race though guys, especially enjoyed trying to find a way past @HighSeasHoMastr in the earlier laps. And congrats to @SlipZtrEm on the fastest lap, I just couldn't match my last sector again throughout the race.

@prousonhairy When you're getting lapped there's no need to slow down so much, just keep going and we can find our ways through. :cheers: I felt bad when I came to you and you pulled in to the grass and probably lost 3-4 seconds :guilty:.

I was wondering what happened there, for a moment I thought maybe we had fuel and tyre wear on :lol:.

Good race though guys, especially enjoyed trying to find a way past @HighSeasHoMastr in the earlier laps. And congrats to @SlipZtrEm on the fastest lap, I just couldn't match my last sector again throughout the race.

@prousonhairy When you're getting lapped there's no need to slow down so much, just keep going and we can find our ways through. :cheers: I felt bad when I came to you and you pulled in to the grass and probably lost 3-4 seconds :guilty:.
I always try to get out of the way, I don't want to cause an accident for the leaders. It's no biggy my friend, I was having a hell of a time with the track today. Stupid tire walls. :lol:

Unfortunately I couldn't be a part of this week's racing due to prior social commitments. A shame, I felt like I had a fighting chance at Lime Rock.

When and where's next race?

One of the funnier things I heard someone say at the end of the race was "At least I didn't finish dead last!" Of course I finished dead last and still had a lap and a half to go before my race was over.

Well I ended up not making it home last night, so apologies for the later-than-anticipated report, but here we go:

Spec GTP: Formula Mazda
Round 2 - Lime Rock Park - Full Circuit Alt

After a short practice session dominated by Lukas and Slip, we started this race with a short grid missing @VXR @GTracer38 and @ClydeYellow (sorry guys! We'll all get in a disconnect-free race eventually!) which left 5 cars on the grid:
  1. @Populuxe Cowboy
  2. @prousonhairy
  3. @HighSeasHoMastr
  4. @SlipZtrEm
  5. @Im_Lukas
By the end of the first two corners I found myself in the lead, with @SlipZtrEm chasing me. @Populuxe Cowboy was still in third, and @prousonhairy had dropped to fifth after a slower start.
GetPhoto.ashx

We held this order for several laps, with @Im_Lukas getting past @Populuxe Cowboy into third fairly quickly.

There were close runners through the field for the first few laps, with @Populuxe Cowboy trying hard to hold off @prousonhairy here:
GetPhoto.ashx

The first chicane was an area that saw a lot of action in this one. The heavy braking and slow corner made it a popular area to have a look, but it's fairly easy to defend the line into it, as @SlipZtrEm found out trying to get past me in the opening laps:
GetPhoto.ashx

As you can see, @Im_Lukas was lurking behind our battle by this point.

A couple small mistakes by @SlipZtrEm saw him lose second to @Im_Lukas shortly after that picture. This set up a nice 5 or 6 lap sequence where I deluded myself into thinking I could hold off the advancing blue car and keep the lead:
GetPhoto.ashx

That wouldn't last.

A few laps after catching up to me, @Im_Lukas got a better run out of the first chicane than I did and forced me to the outside at the top of the hill. I tried my best to hold it around the long way, but he snuck through into the lead, never to be seen again:
GetPhoto.ashx

At least I didn't lose second to @SlipZtrEm in the same move...

This set up a great battle between me and @SlipZtrEm with lots of close racing and pass-repassing:
GetPhoto.ashx

This went on for almost 10 laps, until I glanced slightly too amorously at the painted line on the turn-in for the last corner:
GetPhoto.ashx

And it responded to my unwanted advances by throwing my car into a huge slide:
GetPhoto.ashx

Which let @SlipZtrEm get through.

That left the last 12 or so laps to go by in relative silence. @Im_Lukas had stretched an incredible lead, @SlipZtrEm was driving away from me but not making ground on first, and I was pulling away from @prousonhairy in fourth a little bit each lap. My goal at that stage was just to finish without getting lapped by @Im_Lukas and that led both me and @SlipZtrEm to set some of our fastest laps towards the end of the race, but it wasn't enough to catch the leader.

We ended up finishing in exactly reverse order of how we started:
  1. @Im_Lukas
  2. @SlipZtrEm
  3. @HighSeasHoMastr
  4. @prousonhairy
  5. @Populuxe Cowboy
I know that @Populuxe Cowboy had an issue where he forgot to turn off damage and ended up in the pits after a run-in with a tire wall, which cost him a lot of time. Other than that, I think it was a fairly incident-free race. I had a slightly laggy bump in the very first corner with someone, but that was no harm no foul.

All in all, it was a super fun race, and I look forward to seeing (hopefully) everyone for the next one!

Unless I'm wrong, I believe that the next race will be:

Spec GTP: Formula Mazda
Round 3 - Brands Hatch Grand Prix Circuit - Wet
21 February 20:00 GMT*

*-Exact time subject to change
Looking forward to seeing everyone there! Again, congratulations to @Im_Lukas on the win! The full replay is shared, file name is GTPSpecMazdaR2 with the description being "Round 2 of the GTPlanet Spec Formula Mazda Series, GTP" if anyone wants to give it a watch. Cheers!

Last edited:
Aw, that's too bad. I was having a good time chasing your ghost earlier!
I was all but ready for it, but just overnight on Friday my gums at the very back got very swollen at one side because of my wisdom teeth. It was ridiculously painful. For the rest of the weekend I was basically eating soup, as well as a mix of pain medicine, and alcohol. It's a shame, because the little chicanes and extended back leg of the race really made the track a lot more interesting than the original. Will definitely make next week though!

Great write up @HighSeasHoMastr

Latest Posts

Back