Spintires: Mudrunner/snowrunner

The only downsides are the small maps and limited things to do. Snowrunner has so much to do in comparison. It takes longer to just complete Michigan than to complete every Mudrunner map with one star.
In regards to stuff to do in SR, I agree. SR offers more value and is also a more, let’s say…”meaningful” game.

However, after finishing half of the contracts in Michigan and Alaska (approx. 30 hours of playtime), I personally felt like I was doing wearisome chores from a check box. But that’s probably due to physics being watered-down in comparison to MR rather than SR actually being tedious 💁‍♂️

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to Expeditions but am still kinda unsure how much of a direct sequel to Snowrunner it is because it looks like a slightly different concept integrating the same kind of driving - not that that is in any way a bad thing! I don't think Snowrunner needs a direct sequel really. Personally I got way, way more into SR than MR. I dunno why. Maybe it's because I kinda knew what to expect when SR came out so could enjoy it more. I definitely take the point that MR physics might be a bit better.

@MXH is the game really that loud on ps4?

I've been thinking about buying snowrunner, but I'm afraid to see my ps4 exploding :lol:
Its the PS4 thermal design. The heat sink blades get clogged full of dust and then it sounds like it's breaking earths gravitational pull every time you turn the thing on. I put up with it for a year before pulling my PS4 Pro apart and cleaning it out, back to silence and has been for the past two years so far on all games.

Update for season 12 tomorrow - plus news of a fourth year pass!

Gathering the Burlak and a few others together
SnowRunner_20240130102452.png
SnowRunner_20240130092306.png
SnowRunner_20240130093228.png
SnowRunner_20231225072235.png
SnowRunner_20240130103544.png

North Carolina - seems they didn't bother much with roads in this version of reality. The first picture is the main coast road between two towns whenever the ferry or bridge was out of commission. Looks like the one road out of the western ferry didn't get very far either.
SnowRunner_20240206121248.png
SnowRunner_20240206094053.png
SnowRunner_20240206091539.png

MXH
Currently playing Mudrunner on my recently purchased PS5.

Nearly hundred hours clocked on the PS4 and will be soon doing it all over again. Not entirely sure about the resolution but the general image quality is definitely improved, not to mention the rock solid 60fps that previously would send the PS4’s fans into orbit unless you locked it at 30fps - even then, the PS4 would really sweat. The boost in performance alone makes this game almost new for me.

I also installed Snowrunner on the PS5, which I haven’t really played that much since its release in 2020. It is a good game, I do recognize that. However, it failed to capture my attention in the long run.

I do have a few gripes with SR but it’s mainly due to the driving just not being that much fun compared to MR. The physics, terrain deformation, suspension movement, as well the flexing of the trucks frame is vastly superior in MR (albeit the latter is somewhat exaggerated). The driving experience is in my opinion simply far more engaging, rewarding and satisfying in MR.

With that said, I’m certainly keeping an eye on Expeditions as it does look promising.
I’ve so far put more than 30 hours into Mudrunner since my last post. Redoing the challenges has been great fun and meticulously planning my routes in Hardcore mode has been a blast as well. On my way finishing the last deliveries on ’Crossing’, which still remains one of my favourite maps.

I also prefer the desolate feeling and art direction of MR. It’s not for everyone so I understand why they went with another direction in SR 😅

Edit :

Last edited:
MXH
I’ve so far put more than 30 hours into Mudrunner since my last post. Redoing the challenges has been great fun and meticulously planning my routes in Hardcore mode has been a blast as well. On my way finishing the last deliveries on ’Crossing’, which still remains one of my favourite maps.

I also prefer the desolate feeling and art direction of MR. It’s not for everyone so I understand why they went with another direction in SR 😅
Those are really atmospheric and damn fine shots 👍 I take it you are doing so on PC? I still haven't got around to MR as I was waiting for a photo mode first.

Those are really atmospheric and damn fine shots 👍 I take it you are doing so on PC? I still haven't got around to MR as I was waiting for a photo mode first.
Thanks! I’m playing MR on the PS5. I’ve had to resort to cropping the screenshots as you cannot remove the UI (unless you’re on PC playing with mods). A proper photo mode would have been a great addition as you’re very limited otherwise.

Last edited:
MXH
Thanks! I’m playing MR on the PS5. I’ve had to resort to cropping the screenshots as you cannot remove the UI (unless you’re on PC playing with mods). A proper photo mode would have been a great addition as you’re very limited otherwise.
Good work in that case - yeah, the lack of PM meant I never bought MR - I will go back an play it once my backlog is down to a reasonable size again 😊

I'm confused on which to get. Which one is better for a beginner ? Mudrunner or Snowrunner? I'm on PS5.

A lot of people online were saying Snowrunner sucked?

MXH
...However, after finishing half of the contracts in Michigan and Alaska (approx. 30 hours of playtime), I personally felt like I was doing wearisome chores from a check box. But that’s probably due to physics being watered-down in comparison to MR rather than SR actually being tedious 💁‍♂️
May I suggest you persist a bit further - you can always jump ahead to whichever maps pique your interest. What I like about the map designs in SR is how different they have managed to make each region feel - that also includes the challenge levels. This becomes more noticeable outside the base game. Kola where you don't really travel much on roads, at least not on the first map; Yukon gets you to salvage locations for the materials you need. Wisconsin requires repairs to factories and place generators to power them before they can provide the goods you need and so on.

Last edited:
Did anyone pick up Expeditions yet? I'm finding it to be fairly entertaining, although the controls and UI are hot garbage.

I'm intrigued by Expeditions and love the idea, I'm a sucker for proper exploration when it's a living, breathing open world environment. But the stuff I've seen on Reddit about it has been fairly negative and has rather put me off. At least until its had a few patches and some DLC expansions. I feel like picking up some more Snowrunner DLC might be more worthwhile for now. I'm surprised it's so quiet round here on Expeditions though, I figured a few posters would have taken the plunge on it.

Last edited:
I have Expeditions now. There are a few bugs, the game lags on series X but there is a workaround. The gameplay is challenging, usually in Snowrunner a big enough truck will fix anything, that won't work in this one. The vehicles feel heavier and less top heavy which is good. Once I found TMHS mud tires for the 2 starter trucks things have become easier, the Step has a hit box issue that mostly goes away with those tires.

As a Snowrunner player the new control scheme takes some getting used to. Despite being a bit glitchy I have been enjoying the change of pace.

The release of Expeditions finally got me to give Snowrunner a proper shake, I had played about 10 minutes of it when I first got my Deck but the fact it took up most of my free space and had the fan screaming the whole time made me try other things. I played a ton last night, though, and I love it. I don't think I'm doing it right, I'm constantly getting stuck in mud and having to winch and inch my way out so I'm assuming I should go somewhere to get a specific truck or upgrade to make my life easier, but I just want to deliver some cargo.

I completed Mudrunner so while I'm not new to the concept, Snowrunner does change up a few things that I haven't grasped yet. For example, last night I grabbed an upgrade with the starter Chevy which was raised suspension, but it didn't actually unlock raised suspension for either that or the Royal you can find in Alaska, so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to know which truck I've got raised suspension for? And the distinction between on- and off-road trucks, does that mean I should be handing cargo off between the two when a route has a combination of surfaces? Because so far I only have the Chevy and Royal (the latter only has road tyres available) which is why I keep getting stuck, I guess.

Still, I've completed a few objectives and opened a few routes, towed a Hummer and bought a flatbed. It reminds me so much of playing with Micro Machines as a kid!

You need to leave Alaska and go back to Michigan. Most of the starter truck upgrades are there, plus it is easier to get around there with highway tires. Basically you have chose hard mode by starting in Alaska lol.

You need to leave Alaska and go back to Michigan. Most of the starter truck upgrades are there, plus it is easier to get around there with highway tires. Basically you have chose hard mode by starting in Alaska lol.
Explains a lot, still fun though! Thanks for the guidance.

And the distinction between on- and off-road trucks, does that mean I should be handing cargo off between the two when a route has a combination of surfaces? Because so far I only have the Chevy and Royal (the latter only has road tyres available) which is why I keep getting stuck, I guess.
You can pretty much ignore on-road trucks, in the 150 hours I have in Snowrunner, I've never found a use for them other than selling them for the money. In some of the later DLC you can get away with some of the on-road trucks (like British Columbia) but overall you might as well just drive an off-road truck with regular tires.

Despite knowing it was not the intended way to play I decided to try to keep going in Alaska with the Chevy pickup and the on-road truck, I almost made it to the final watch tower after lots of tricky driving through mud but ended up on my roof and there was no way I'd get the bigger truck through the same route, so that was when I conceded defeat and went back to Michigan. And then I did almost the exact same thing! But that time it was next to a road so I did manage to get my on-road truck to the scene to flip back over.

I also unlocked one of the Scout trucks which has a locked diff, I bought some off-road tyres for it... Then scrolled a little further down and saw I can get mud tyres for it already, but now I can't afford them!

If cash gets tight you can sell off trucks for a full refund. There is also an easy contest at the Farm in Black River you can repeat for quick credits.

I already have a Meta build for Expeditions, Acteon truck, mud tires aired down to half and High Range gears.

I'm having a hard time getting in to playing Expeditions. Everything feels like sight seeing. Go here, now go there, but you're not actually doing anything. Might just need to get further along, but it's almost too boring to do so. lol

There is very little world building compared to Snowrunner I agree. You do put up cameras and sensors, and there is a bit of bridge building and obstacle clearing further into the maps. My big gripe is that there is no way to switch between maps other than the gateways. You CAN do every contract and task in a region free roam style. However, it would be tedious dragging trucks to the gateway to be brought through one by one each time. It's easier to just do a close by task or contract after an expedition, then return to HQ.

Back