Standard cars ARE in GT6. (100% confirmed)

• Thread starter CAMAROBOY69
  • 1,429 comments
My guess is that the standard's quality are updated slightly, and a few select ones may be converted to premium.
They could have given the modeling team some active tessalation tools, adding polygons to models to improve surface appearance, to upgrade the Standard models with one click and some rendering time, and these improved models could be tweaked by hand in much less time than building cars from scratch. I'm just guessing, but if the PS3 has been given the PS4 capacity to tesselate on the fly, I don't see why modeling tools couldn't do it too.

In any case, I'm happy. I love my Standard cars and tracks. :D

It's strange that I haven't seen an interior pic of the GT6 Countach. Or the Alpine :odd:

I refuse to believe that GT5 quality standards are returning. They all need a total overhaul at their current state IMO. Just copying/pasting them from GT5 is just BS and will be a major letdown.

I will have no problems with the Standards returning if they look like that Countach.

@Duphman, Kaz said those cars specifically?
If so, I can't wait to drive a premium 25th Aniv. Countach.

Every single standard car (regardless of how many of them return as standards) MUST LOOK way better in this "GT5 expanded" game...

If not... well, PD's involution to another mediocre game-developer has been completed...

If you guys honestly think that standard cars are gone in GT6 then you must be dreaming.

Unless PD has outsourced the majority of their standard models to premium, I think it's physically impossible for the crew that PD has as of now to basically recreate all of those standard models.

They may have only went over the standards, and got rid of the jaggedness and the dodgy reflections. They may have also easily included a 2D cockpit with a 3D steering wheel for the standards. Other than that, whats said above is what I think.

What if (Just a what-if) Kaz/PD made the best/most used Standards premiums, deleted the un-used/unlike Standards and kept the Standard models of the most liked Standards? Like making the '69 GT40 Premium and keeping the Standard model in?)

Could this be the reason the car list is so big? Sorry if I sound stupid, I have been up for over 18 hours. :indiff:

There is nothing to speculate about here. Common sense tells us that GT6 definitely, with no room to argue otherwise, has lots of Standard models. GT5 had over 1,000 cars, over 800 of which were Standard and just 220, or something like that, were Premium. There is absolutely no way on Earth that PD suddenly found a huge surge in competence and was suddenly able to produce over a thousand Premiums. Unless PD multiplied their graphic artist staff by a factor of five, it just isn't plausible.

They had a team of around 130.. with around 15 People modeling
Its the highest profit studio Sony owns.. id say yeah its possible:tup:

Well if there is indeed nothing to speculate, that argument surely didnt help your case.
Its not far fetched that over 3 years PD have been updating/ remaking 800 ( this is an estimate) cars.Your argument is not common sense, its an assumption.

And yours is...?
Hell over 3 years I could make over 100 high-poly high detailed cars with their resources my self and im a novice modeler.

Just so we're clear; you can model around 20 times faster than PD's own employees (going by the oft-quoted six man-months per car)? I am shocked they haven't already poached you with that sort of skill set.

I can see the standards were upgraded, maybe not to full quality like premiums but they all look like that Countach... There's one thing which makes me believe this: the car list of the demo with * listing cars not in GT5 already. There's no * at Countach! Which means it's been upgraded from GT5...

It has no marker because that exact model from that exact year was in GT5. In much the same way as the Jag XJR-9, it would appear that the Countach has been given the Premium treatment to replace an existing Standard.

Hell over 3 years I could make over 100 high-poly high detailed cars with their resources my self and im a novice modeler.Well hopefully Jordan post the Q&A tomorrow.Im sure kaz had some half a$3ed answer, which is why Jordan said "mostly good".

Somehow I find that claim a bit far fetched. Could you share a model you've made?

It has no marker because that exact model from that exact year was in GT5. In much the same way as the Jag XJR-9, it would appear that the Countach has been given the Premium treatment to replace an existing Standard.

The Countach is definitely a premium. Look at the promotion pictures and zoom in to 100%, I can't imagine that they would add so much detail to a car and still call it a standard. It also has an interior, which is not visible in many of the photos, but there is a picture from Silverstone where you see it from the front and the interior is clearly there.

If ONLY they would pull a GT2 and release the game on 2 discs... One for arcade and one for simulation. That would leave a heck of a lot of room for both discs to be featured on their respective versions. One can only hope but I wouldn't hold my breath for too long. It sure looks like PD learned and fixed the issues their fanbase has been complaining over.

Just my thoughts.....
IF Standards return, it will not be a deal breaker for me. :indiff:
The only downside for me regarding standards, is that they can't be taken directly to photo-shoot mode. :(
Aside from that, they are probably the most frequently used cars in my garage. :)

I'm guessing, Kaz will not want/wish to get shot down again, like he has been continually since the release of GT5.
He is (I would assume) well aware of how "hated" Standard cars are, and I would not be surprised to hear/see at a later date, some very possitive news regarding Standard/Premium cars, maybe even E3???
THIS IS PURELY ASSUMPTION on my part, but I think GT5 probably hurt PD somewhat, with so much negativity getting thrown their way,
a LOT of it unnecessary in my opinion.

This time around, I am sure (really hoping) that PD will want to present a fully "finished" game, finished a lot more than GT5 was with the missing content etc..

I really look forward to seeing updates from E3 and beyond.....👍
These next 6 months will undoubtedly be excruciating, waiting, anticipating....but I think things will be ok for us in the end/release date.
GT6 will probably be what a lot of people hoped for with GT5, only more polished. :)

As it stands, from what I've seen, GT6 will still be a definite for me, as my sig says (below) I've been here (playing GT) from the start, ain't gonna stop now. :sly: (really NEED to get that wheel soon....)

We wait! will next news in September or October is coming complete work GT6 and what get complete about premium cars! BE RELEASE IN NOVEMBER! :D

Keeping the standards is a big mistake IMO, and wasting time to slightly update them is an even bigger mistake.

I know it's nice to write "over 1000 cars!" on the back of the box for marketing purposes, but they have to get rid of them. It just needs to be done. They bring down the quality of the game in many aspects - graphics, photomode, menus, garages etc...

And yours is...?

Just so we're clear; you can model around 20 times faster than PD's own employees (going by the oft-quoted six man-months per car)? I am shocked they haven't already poached you with that sort of skill set.
I dont get the first question.Are you saying that mines is or isnt common sense? If so, no I said countless times, with the little news we have everything is speculation.
Like ive said... countless time, that statement about it taking 6 months to make a car is should be taken with a grain of salt.Ive modeled 10k-20k poly c10 skyline interior in all, in 3 days (texturing and mapping adds about another few days) and thats on a some what busy schedule( all learned from video tutorials might I add :sly:).Im 1000% sure they are more knowledgeable about modeling cars.However their techniques are more than likely different.That 6 months for that specific car he based his statement on may include getting the car, striping it apart, and scanning it.I have no idea how long it takes to scan but it may be less demanding than making each piece from scratch however more time consuming.

Somehow I find that claim a bit far fetched. Could you share a model you've made?
Sure. Il post the skyline I made tomorrow.Why do you think its far fetched?If PD paid me, I'd gladly make 100 cars in year.They may not be PD quality and I may need a few bottles of adderrall but I can get it done, especially with a decent PC.If your interested in checking out my blog you can PM me to see exactly what I make.

How long did GT5 take to come out? Around 5 1/2 years after the release of GT4, and how many premiums did we get? Around 220.

Now before you say "Oh but they had to develop the game too bla bla" consider that the Artists do the modeling, they dont do the physics or the UI or anything else, they are Artists. So if in over 5 years they only managed 220 Premiums, how on earth do you think they are going to manage 1000 premiums in only 3 years? The answer is they are obviously not going to.

GT6 will have in the region of less than 100 new Premiums, and the Standards will remain. Unsure if those Premiums are going to include GT5 DLC/Special edition cars, and not sure how many of these new cars will be clones of current cars (2014 Academy Edition GTR!!!!).

I'm having a hard time seeing how this is anything other than GT5.5, which is understandable since it is a massive ammount of work, and they have already put in a lot of work updating GT5, if you compared Launch GT5 with Launch GT6 it would be easier believe.

How long did GT5 take to come out? Around 5 1/2 years after the release of GT4, and how many premiums did we get? Around 220.

Now before you say "Oh but they had to develop the game too bla bla" consider that the Artists do the modeling, they dont do the physics or the UI or anything else, they are Artists. So if in over 5 years they only managed 220 Premiums, how on earth do you think they are going to manage 1000 premiums in only 3 years? The answer is they are obviously not going to.

GT6 will have in the region of less than 100 new Premiums, and the Standards will remain. Unsure if those Premiums are going to include GT5 DLC/Special edition cars, and not sure how many of these new cars will be clones of current cars (2014 Academy Edition GTR!!!!).

I'm having a hard time seeing how this is anything other than GT5.5, which is understandable since it is a massive ammount of work, and they have already put in a lot of work updating GT5, if you compared Launch GT5 with Launch GT6 it would be easier believe.

GT5 promised 1000 cars and we got nearly 1100. 100 new premiums for GT6 is the bare minimum if they're aiming to exceed 1200.

Plus they'll be upgrading many of the standard models. We've already seen a few of those. The game could wind up with about 500 premiums total (200 old premiums, 200 new and a few upgraded standards like the Countach). Sounds great to me. :drool:

It's more then 2½ years ago that GT5 was released. When PD released GT5, they already began at developing GT6. Most important part are the cars and I believe one of the most difficult cars to make premium, they made it premium and was released as DLC for GT5 : VW Beetle 1966.

This is for me a sign that PD was making a point "Yes we can make standard cars into Premiums and the most difficult car to make it premium, is our teaser for GT6".

I don't know the average number of polygons of a (S) car and a (P) car, but I guess the exterior of Standard cars are less then 40% of the number of polygons from a (P) car, without the interior. Most of the standard cars are boxy and from the 70's/80's and 90's. Their amount of polygons don't have to be blown up that big for better quality.

But there's a side fact. From the release of GT5 till now the PS3 has now grown to a console with more then 300 to 500GB ? *Don't know for sure :scared:

I guess IF we get standard cars, the ratio could be 50/50 or less !!

GT5 promised 1000 cars and we got nearly 1100. 100 new premiums for GT6 is the bare minimum if they're aiming to exceed 1200.

Plus they'll be upgrading many of the standard models. We've already seen a few of those. The game could wind up with about 500 premiums total (200 old premiums, 200 new and a few upgraded standards like the Countach). Sounds great to me. :drool:

I dont think you get it, you're not considering all the new premiums that have been released as dlc or promotional since the release of GT5, and you're also assuming that some will be "converted" to premium without being counted.

Every car that gets converted to premium will still have the standard version in the game, so the converted car will count as one of the 100 or less. This is how they have always done it, there is no reason to believe that will change.

Sure. Il post the skyline I made tomorrow.Why do you think its far fetched?If PD paid me, I'd gladly make 100 cars in year.They may not be PD quality and I may need a few bottles of adderrall but I can get it done, especially with a decent PC.If your interested in checking out my blog you can PM me to see exactly what I make.

Well, 100 cars in three years would be 1 car every 1.5 weeks roughly. Perhaps it's possible to make one or two cars on such a tight schedule, but a hundred in a row? Given that they have to be accurate in all measurements, have all the right textures, lights, animations, optional aero kits and a (basic) damage model.

And when the model is done they also need to add sounds and performance data, upgrades and so on.

So making the actual model is just one step on the road towards making it functional in the game.

Every car that gets converted to premium will still have the standard version in the game, so the converted car will count as one of the 100 or less. This is how they have always done it, there is no reason to believe that will change.

Fair point. But keep in mind that "always" is once. GT5 is the only game (so far) where they done that, it's not a long trend.

Also, if PD said 1000 cars for GT5 and it ended up with 1140 cars, then it's possible than 1200 could mean 1340. And what about the chromeline, stealth and other limited edition cars, will they be available in GT6?

If standart cars are imported to GT6 people will start wondering what PD have been doing last years, they cannot charge 60 Euros for GT6 if it feels more like an addon in terms of cars and tracks. Let's hope all of the cars are premium.

Wait, what? Have standard cars been upgraded in GT5?

There are many clones in GT5 where there is a standard version and premium model of the same model/year. The Jaguar XJR-9 DLC premium was already in the game as a standard too.

I doubt you could get a straight answer from PD regarding 'standards', at least not in the way that we gamers mean. Just bringing up the word standard brings up so much negative association that it wouldn't be smart for PD to categorize them as such. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some kind of internal PD memo to the GT6 development telling them if anyone so much as whispers the word standard to the media or any outsider they would be fired the next day.

Their marketing department will probably come up with flashy new catch words, rename standard to Premium or Premium-1, and rename Premium to Ultra-Premium-FTW!

I am with you and you are right. There is simply NO way they had enough time to convert all the cars to premium. No way.

-About 5 1/2 years to develop GT5- about 220+ premiums
-3 more years and we have GT6-maybe 100+ more premiums
There is simply NO way GT6 is going to have all 1200 cars as premiums.

So in 8 1/2 years of development they have "completed" only 320+ cars. A little over 20%. Estimated that they can create about 20-30 premiums a year. Ouch. :ouch::ouch:

When I heard about the standards "unfinished cars" in GT5 I decided to rent GT5 and not purchase the game. So I rented it and sure enough the standards truly ruined the game for me. There are just way too many restrictions on the standards and in my eyes will always be "Unfinished". Cant be brought to photo travel, they had no interior view at all at launch then later a generic black outline was added, wheels couldn't be modified but later they could with an update, cant zoom in too close when taking photos, and many more restrictions. Standards are clearly unfinished cars. Later the game was given to me as a Christmas gift and I have put a lot of time into b-spec but still have a hard time getting into the single player because of the standard cars.

As a long time fan of GT and someone that owns all the GT games including PAL and JPN, this is just a very very sad day for me. It was bad enough with GT5 but I honestly thought that with a few more years they could possibly convert all the standards to premium. To release GT6 with standard cars means to me he is still not listening to the community after all these years.

There is no way I can justify buying GT6. The game should have just been bumped to the PS4 and once ALL the cars were completed (premium), then they should release the game. As someone mentioned in another thread, at this point KY is just falling more and more behind and will always be "playing catch up". :guilty:

Last edited:
I think that there will still be Standard-level cars, though I think the ratio of standards to premiums will be flipped compared to GT5. There won't be enough of them to even warrant an in-game distinction between the two different types... you'll just run into less-detailed cars in the UCD on rare occasion.

The reasons I believe this are:

According to Polyphony, "almost all" cars will have an assortment of aero parts that you can install. It would take a lot of work to make all the old GT4 models compatible with this modular upgrading, and at that point you might as well just make new models for them.

The Garage menu featured in the GT6 demo showed no indications that it would be separated into two distinct types. Admittedly, this could very well change for the release version, but still.

The adaptive tessellation featured in GT6 would allow them to more easily create car models for in-game... they don't have to create multiple different LODs for in-race, cars will have just one clean mesh that adaptively gets tessellated as necessary.

GT PSP required the whole team to quit work on GT5 for a stretch and focus on it.

On the standards, amar212 has semi-quoted a source indicating that there won't be Standard cars in GT6, and I'm assuming Standard tracks are included in that. I mentioned one method for a quick and easy upgrade path for Standard models. Edit: so did Lain:

The adaptive tessellation featured in GT6 would allow them to more easily create car models for in-game... they don't have to create multiple different LODs for in-race, cars will have just one clean mesh that adaptively gets tessellated as necessary.
What PD will ultimately give us, we likely won't know until E3 - hey, they can't tell us everything. For that matter, they have to save stuff for Gamescon and TGS to keep us interested. But if they give us Premium-ish content, maybe even SimonK will be content with that.

I'll have the Q&A up maybe tomorrow or Friday. It was a group session so I didn't get to ask all the questions, but we got some good info and clarified (sort of) some things regarding Standard/Premium cars in GT6 (it's mostly good news). I still have to listen to the recordings again to figure out exactly what was said.

Jordan wording it like that (mostly good news) makes me think that there is still a small but significant number of standard cars, or at least cars with far less detail and an interior. Maybe 2-300.

If all cars were premium it would be wholly good news.

Back