Standard cars ARE in GT6. (100% confirmed)

• Thread starter CAMAROBOY69
  • 1,429 comments
Jordan wording it like that (mostly good news) makes me think that there is still a small but significant number of standard cars, or at least cars with far less detail and an interior. Maybe 2-300.

If all cars were premium it would be wholly good news.
Yes I am hoping for some good news from Jordan but it would seriously be an act of god if the premium numbers outnumber the standard cars. Especially since PD only seems able to manage about 20-30 premium "finished" cars a year. If only they would outsource this could be such an incredible game. So much potential. GT6 with ALL premium cars would have been a day 1 launch and an unbelievable game. So lets hope Jordan has something really good to say, but I wont hold my breath. If it was really good news, KY would have marketed that right away.

Well the ironic thing is that it's the dupes we're going to get more premium models than anything. They said ALL GT5 cars are returning which means more Clios and Lutecia's, more MX-5s/Eunos/Miatas etc.

They only need to make one of those in a premium model from scratch and the duplicates will take either no time at all in the case of things like the Clio/Lutecia which are different only in name and a very short amount of time with things like the MX-5s/Eunos which are very, very similar.

I suspect, as hinted from the latest screenshots, that there won't be "standard cars" in the sense that this definition has been removed, probably due to commercial reasons, given the backlash PD had with it in GT5. So now you won't know you have a Standard car unless you get to see it upclose (or try using the cockpit view) and realize see that it has a lower quality than other ones.

On the standards, amar212 has semi-quoted a source indicating that there won't be Standard cars in GT6, and I'm assuming Standard tracks are included in that. I mentioned one method for a quick and easy upgrade path for Standard models.

This is what the source said, my comments in parentheses ().

All cars will be premium this time

..there is a new feature about tracks that will be very cool (Is that the GPS feature?)

Nothing official yet, PS3, November...Newegg, multiplayer.com and Xtralife date as good date (November does sound plausible)

15th anniversary logo in the boxart (The boxart we've seen, placeholder or not, does have the 15th anniversary picture on the front.)

So 3/4 seems to be somewhat correct after the presentation. Regarding the cars we simply don't know but if the source was right about the other stuff, then why not?

Maybe the standards will have lower polygon model than premium, FM4 level on track car detail model ? And most likely all duplicates will get premium treatment like Simon says, most are only minor exterior differences, duplicates Skylines, Miatas are prime examples.

I don't see how it's possible they have, in the last three years, modelled EVERY standard in premium. As above a large number of them wouldn't have taken that long as they're very similar or straight up physical dupes but there must be, at a random guess, still 400-500 unique cars they would have needed to start from scratch modelling a new premium car. That sounds like a huge ask in 2.5 years.

I would also be very disappointed if that is how they decided to spend the majority of their modelling time when other, new cars should have been a priority first.

I suspect, as hinted from the latest screenshots, that there won't be "standard cars" in the sense that this definition has been removed, probably due to commercial reasons, given the backlash PD had with it in GT5. So now you won't know you have a Standard car unless you get to see them upclose (or try using the cockpit view) and actually see that it has a lower quality than other ones.
You will know right away as soon as you try to take them to the photo travel mode. Standard cars can NOT be taken to that mode. So that restricts over 80% of the cars from being used in one of the major features of the game.

Maybe that's Jordan's good news is that standards can be brought anywhere in the game. THAT would be really good news IMO. Because at that point standards would not be restricted from a major area of the game. The standard cars WILL make or break this game for me like they did for GT5.

You will know right away as soon as you try to take them to the photo travel mode. Standard cars can NOT be taken to that mode. So that restricts over 80% of the cars from being used in one of the major features of the game.

Maybe that's Jordan's good news is that standards can be brought anywhere in the game. THAT would be really good news IMO.

PD could of easy fix it for gt6.

I'm hoping the good news is a more refined cockpit view for Standards. Just a modeled dash and hood would be enough to enjoy driving those cars so much more.

I'm hoping the good news is a more refined cockpit view for Standards. Just a modeled dash and hood would be enough to enjoy driving those cars so much more.
That would help for sure. Much better than this "black electric tape outline" they used to update the standard car interiors. :lol:
It helped a little but still, cant help but laugh. So yes hopefully the standard view have been upgraded and can be brought to the photo travel.
gran-turismo-5-spec-2-screenshots4.jpg

I still think it was absolute madness that a PS3 game had "interiors" like that. I wouldn't have even found that acceptable on a PS1 game if I were a developer. It's just awful for a PS3 game to look like that and if GT6 still looks that bad...

That would help for sure. Much better than this "black electric tape outline" they used to update the standard car interiors. :lol:
gran-turismo-5-spec-2-screenshots4.jpg

I actually find that view pretty good. You got a great view for driving, most standard cars has the mirrors perfectly visible, unlike most of the premium cars where you have to look to the side to be able to see the mirrors clearly.
What's missing is obviously the hood.

When it comes to visual eye-candy it's not much to have though...

Once they added that view to standards I actually started playing again. But compared to all other games out there even iphone games(RR3), that interior view for standard cars was hilarious. I believe someone on youtube even made a video where they used black electrical tape to make that view. Then later PD added that view as an update which was almost identical to the black electrical tape video someone made. :lol:
They put it in by request though. At first the standards didn't have any at all.
Very true. In fact I quit playing GT5 until they added that view. Its still funny.

Once they added that view to standards I actually started playing again. But compared to all other games out there even iphone games(RR3), that interior view for standard cars was hilarious. I believe someone on youtube even made a video where they used black electrical tape to make that view. Then later PD added that view as an update which was almost identical to the black electrical tape video someone made. :lol:

And you could get a piece of black cardboard and cut out your own standard cockpit! Fun for the whole family!

I actually find that view pretty good. You got a great view for driving, most standard cars has the mirrors perfectly visible, unlike most of the premium cars where you have to look to the side to be able to see the mirrors clearly.

It completely destroys any immersion stone dead and I really think they shouldn't have bothered. You can't get any feeling that you're sat in the cockpit of a car when all you can see is a black marking over your screen. There isn't even any depth. I mean GRID isn't going to have any detailed cockpits and I really don't think it'd be a good idea to add something like this at a later date. It's one of those cases where all or nothing at all are the best options. Interiors of PS1 games looked awful by todays standards but they still gave you immersion back then because it looks like a cockpit and matches the rest of the game. It also has a feeling of depth, importantly.

toca2_profilelarge.jpg

It completely destroys any immersion stone dead and I really think they shouldn't have bothered. You can't get any feeling that you're sat in the cockpit of a car when all you can see is a black marking over your screen. There isn't even any depth. I mean GRID isn't going to have any detailed cockpits and I really don't think it'd be a good idea to add something like this at a later date. It's one of those cases where all or nothing at all are the best options. Interiors of PS1 games looked awful by todays standards but they still gave you immersion back then because it looks like a cockpit and matches the rest of the game. It also has a feeling of depth, importantly.

toca2_profilelarge.jpg

Totally agree:tup:

With standards cars I just can't buy the game
I don't know how some people seems to be ok by having some standards in a 2013 game but worst of all is not having cockpit view.
1200 cars premium or any other way is just stupid.

I use it too and now that you mention it the mirrors are more visible. You could make the argument that it's even visually more "lifelike" for driving as your eye can only focus on the track. There's no possibility to get distracted checking out how realistic interior textures are when driving-I know that's happened to me!

With that in mind it would be great if you could tone down the interior with an adjustable setting to enable the track to be the center of focus. As it is now everything is on the same visual level. That's not how your mind perceives driving or any other real life visuality.

And you could get a piece of black cardboard and cut out your own standard cockpit! Fun for the whole family!
Very true. :lol: 👍
I just wish I could bring the standards to the photo travel. :guilty:

toca2_profilelarge.jpg
Exactly why I will NOT support GRID 2 AT ALL. Loved GRID but will not support GRID 2 because of this decision to remove interiors.

I don't know how some people seems to be ok by having some standards in a 2013 game
Because having a car is infinitely better than not having a car. And for many gamers, Gran Turismo games have a feel to them that other games lack. I have some of the better PC sims, but GT5 makes them feel stale and empty of cars. Sim fans obviously feel otherwise, but I'm not the only one who says this.

I just wish I could bring the standards to the photo travel. :guilty:
Kaz has remarked in a few interviews that the decision to restrict Standards from Photo Travel locations was a bad one, so there's hope this will be different in GT6. Especially if there aren't actually Standard cars anymore, but Premium-ish.

Kaz has remarked in a few interviews that the decision to restrict Standards from Photo Travel locations was a bad one, so there's hope this will be different in GT6. Especially if there aren't actually Standard cars anymore, but Premium-ish.
That's what I am hoping for and even though its still not as good as having ALL premiums, I could accept that. Upgrade the interiors to look better, upgrade the exterior graphics, customize options like premiums, and allow us to bring the cars to photo travel.

Honestly that wouldn't be too bad at all. Its not ideal but at that point at least the cars would not be restricted from the other events. Maybe we will get lucky and ALL the cars will be in the dealerships instead of standards only being in the used car dealership. That was not fun either.

I can't imagine Polyphony digital converting 800 standards to premiums along with making 200 new premiums. That would take them at least another 5 years, probably more like 10.

As long as they convert the cool ones to premium it'll be okay by me. I really don't care about hundreds of family sedans and economy cars that I have no interest in driving anyway.

Is it certain that PD didn't/doesn't outsource the the car modeling?

It sure is possible to convert all standards into premium with acceptable visual quality in that timespan with outsourcing.

I can't imagine Polyphony digital converting 800 standards to premiums along with making 200 new premiums. That would take them at least another 5 years, probably more like 10.

As long as they convert the cool ones to premium it'll be okay by me. I really don't care about hundreds of family sedans and economy cars that I have no interest in driving anyway.

The thing is that there are almost no family sedans and very few economy cars. The vast majority of cars are the sport versions. If you're looking for an average family car, you won't find it in GT5. Kei cars being the only exception.

Great post.

It appears to me that with all GT5 cars included, there will be darkened cockpits. But my main problem with standards was simply that they looked out of date - if they are included I wouldn't be surprised if jagged wheel arches would still be visible, as well as the smudged vehicular damage look.

They probably gave a generic cockpit view for Standard cars and made them as moddable as Premium cars. I suppose it makes sense for them to still include them cars considering they spent some effort in touching up the standard cars. Should be quite fun to try the cars again with better driving physics. PS4 version should go all Premium only. If PS3 version is somehow all Premium, then I will be like this :drool:.

Kaz has always insisted that letting other companies touch his game was unthinkable, which is why he had GT PSP made by Polyphony. It's also more expensive to outsource, because the company has to make a profit to be worth their time.

I know this whole Standard thing has a lot of fans nervous who are spoiled by the Premium car models in GT5 and other games like Forza, but there are little hints that things will be much better this time. Jordan has an interview coming he says will be mostly good news, and of course E3 is going to have a big info dump for us to chew through, so let's see what develops.

Not only the hood but what's behind too making it useless for me as I can't judge the position of the car correctly compared to Premium cockpit view, nevermind that's it's a laughable solution in the first place which doesn't provide any visual immersion.

Having said that, what did strike me looking around in several black silhouettes was the accuracy and crisp detail in the outlines, and things like a visible rollcage in some cars or correct outline of a huge steering wheel over the dash in some classics, which suggests more than just a quick fix but having the data available to 'fill it in' as well.

If they've indeed found a method to more rapidly create interiors, albeit less detailed perhaps (a bit like the Prowler) but with working dials and everything and considering there aren't really 800 completely different Standard cars (as in different car models) to begin with, who knows?

But then again, looking at some cars on that list which I doubt will ever become Premium, I doubt they've gone so far.
But if they did add a Prowler style interior (remember, it's the only Standard car that received a newly modelled interior), there are suddenly a whole lot of cars (despite still being visually inferior and inconsistent perhaps) for me to drive which I didn't touch in GT5.

Back