Star Trek: PicardTV 

• Thread starter Famine
  • 57 comments
I liked the ending.
Picard now has a synthetic body.
There were a lot of great performances throughout the show. I thought the final goodbye between
Picard and Data
was especially well done. Now Picard has a new kickass crew. There's even a hint of romance on board with
Agnes and Chris hooking up, and some intimate hand holding between Seven and Raffi at the end.
I'm looking forward to the next two seasons.

The series was fun, though not a patch on TNG IMHO. This video made me laugh...

Just finished rewatching season 1... as the trailer for season 2 drops...

Never thought much of the Q character in either TNG or Voyager. Omnipresence is a dull concept. It makes for lazy script writing and is easy bait for massive plot holes. We'll see how they deal with it now i guess.

Last edited:

Somewhat extreme fan service going on, and hopefully they don't screw the pooch by Qing themselves back to 2024.

Binged the first 3 episodes of season 2 yesterday morning. Despite my trepidations over this season having a Q-based story arc and time travel back to the present day, another Star Trek trope i greatly dislike them using, it has so far been very enjoyable.

Binged the first 3 episodes of season 2 yesterday morning. Despite my trepidations over this season having a Q-based story arc and time travel back to the present day, another Star Trek trope i greatly dislike them using, it has so far been very enjoyable.
Their attention to detail really does show how lame Discovery is.

And honestly, it's not the best story:

The dying Q is testing Jean-Luc one last time, but this time over his relationship with his parents, which all seems to have been a false, repressed memory
also they're going to end up back on the future Stargazer, with the future "atypical" Borg Queen which is actually Agnes
But for them to pull up an explanation for the conflict between that and 1.06 alone shows they even knew there was one in the first place, while Discovery's writers would just blast through it as if it wasn't there because they simply wouldn't know that it is.

also they're going to end up back on the future Stargazer, with the future "atypical" Borg Queen which is actually Agnes
Heh.

But what in the hell was that sudden swirly thing in space, with JJ Abrams-level relative size?

One moment it's the size of an armada of ships, the next it's visible on multiple planets - separated by tens of light years - including Andor. And will it destroy stuff in the sector or the quadrant, or the galaxy, all of which are mentioned in the minute it appears.

Fun cameo though, with another canon callback. Given the increased TNG cast in S3, I wonder where it'll lead.

Just watched Episode 1.

I actually hated Q when I was younger, but as I’ve got older I actually don’t mind him. So seeing him make a return is ok.

I hate the look of the new Borg Queen. Not scary at all. The Borg were the perfect Boogy Man of Star Trek.

Is it me of is Patrick Stewart slurring his words?

So far it’s a little Meh but I’ll keep going.

Just watched Episode 1.

I actually hated Q when I was younger, but as I’ve got older I actually don’t mind him. So seeing him make a return is ok.

I hate the look of the new Borg Queen. Not scary at all. The Borg were the perfect Boogy Man of Star Trek.

Is it me of is Patrick Stewart slurring his words?

So far it’s a little Meh but I’ll keep going.
I've watched all of it. Noticeable better than the first season.

@Tired Tyres just finished today and I agree, better than season 1.

However I’m not getting the timelines. They have now clearly created a separate timeline?

If Picard and Co. came from the TNG timeline as we know it, the Borg queen is the one we encounter in previous series and films, but yet it’s now the new super friendly queen. So at which point did the timelines split? Or did I miss something obvious like this is not the TNG timeline to begin with but then it has to be as you have Seven and Locutus references and super happy queen wouldn’t have done that.

They have now clearly created a separate timeline?
My assumption is that they haven't, but...
Despite being clearly outfoxed by time-travelling Janeway in the Voyager finale, the Borg Queen has a limited ability to perceive alternate timelines - and the torso Queen exhibits this when we first meet her as she acts as if this timeline is wrong. She also knows about the two Renees...

That would mean she would be the real Queen from the Primetimeline as of the early 25th Century and but has been Q-shifted along with everyone else.

Once released with La Sirena, AgnesQueen likely travelled to some point in the future. That would need to be the cases as she's a 21st Century Queen while made of 25th Century bits and flying a 25th Century ship, but also so that she's not prematurely gaining control of the Collective - otherwise she'd be Queen while at least three other Queens (if not four, given that Alice Krige played two Queens either side of Susanna Thompson; Krige Queen 2 claimed to be a member of Species 125 and assimilated in the 2350s) are also Queen.

So she likely time-travelled to a point in the Primetimeline (now fixed by the Picards and Tallin) at or after the second Krige Queen died, and assumed control of the Collective to develop it in the new direction over the 25-ish-year spell between Voyager's finale and her appearance in the robot octopus vagina ship out of the green spacehole.

I just wanted to mention the Borg Queen in first contact, voyager and Picard are different characters to anyone who might think otherwise.

I liked this season of Picard. I still don’t think it or Discovery are better than even the pilot for Strange New Worlds (that show is really strong so far), but we do get nuggets of really good acting from our favourite characters outside of the soap opera storylines and filler story arcs.

@Famine thanks for the explanation. I sat at the end tying my brain in knots trying to figure it out.

Okay, now that is how you do a reach into canon:

Although I think the last two surprise appearances should have been the other way round; there was never a question of Brent Spiner's involvement, so that reveal should have been before that absolutely spectacular other one.
Not entirely sure who or what "Vadic" is -- other than Christopher "Chang" Plummer's real-life daughter -- but clearly she's the offspring of someone Picard un-alived at some point. That's not a short list. Apparently that Scimitar-in-miniature ship is called the Shrike which might lend some clues.

1665276704787.png

Fun appearance from a Geordi-baby - there's two little LaForges in it called "Sidney" and "Alandra" (and that is also a reach into canon; wonder if Leah Brahms is still their mother!) and one is played by LeVar Burton's daughter Mica.

Appears to be the USS Titan (Riker's first command) adrift in wreckage - and in combat, and in a warp tunnel - and the Enterprise-F in the video too.

Last edited:
That is a cracking trailer. Am proper stoked for this [final] series.

Hope it lives up to this trailer or that is going to be a massive let down.

Like the nice little surprise at the end!

Watched the first episode of Picard S3 over the weekend. Looks like this (final) season is very much going to be a Next Generation reunion. I assume the overall story arc is going to be "What the hell happened to Beverly Crusher's face!?!?!"

Welp, Seventeen Seconds and No Win Scenario are probably the best modern Trek has put on television so far. Wow.

That's the most I've enjoyed watching Star Trek since Voyager and SNW was pretty OK, so it was quality as far as I'm concerned.

I haven't had any time to watch S3, so I'm about half an hour into episode one and even the people in charge of the score know how to dig into canon and nostalgia. Proper job.

I'm about 5 episodes in now, so half way through the season, but its a bit slow to be honest. Feels like i'm half way through a NG-era film, but it's taken 5 hours to get here instead of the 45 minutes the film would have taken. There's a lot of unnecessary pading IMO.

I'm about 5 episodes in now, so half way through the season, but its a bit slow to be honest. Feels like i'm half way through a NG-era film, but it's taken 5 hours to get here instead of the 45 minutes the film would have taken. There's a lot of unnecessary pading IMO.
By the last few episodes it all falls into place very nicely imo. Just keep going.

Maybe the investigation b-plot dragged on a little too much but I think most of everything that happened this season has felt necessary so far.

Last edited:
Really like season 3, regardless of how it's about to end.👍

I held off on ST: P entirely because all comments I was getting from everywhere were horrid (curiously not so much in this thread). But recently saw a YT video from Dave Cullen (an opinion I trust) saying not only that Season 3 was very VERY good but also that if you watched TOS, TNG, VOY and DS9 but had avoided PIcard so far, you would be fine (and even better) to go directly to this season, no need to endure watching the first two.

So I binged it. And it was fantastic. I didn't even know I was capable of feeling such an emotional rollercoaster just by watching a sci-fi series.

One particular (and brief) return and her interaction with Picard was just perfect. The intensity of the eye exchange, with words being secondary, was beautiful. And gut punching.

Huge respect for Frakes' portrayal of an older Ryker and of course Worf is even more amazing now than when he was young! Loved all his titles (especially "Bane to the Duras family"), that's no humble man, sorry Klingon.

Couldn't suppress a LOL when they mention the Enterprise-E, all turn to Worf and he says visibly annoyed "that was NOT my fault!" :lol:

Last edited:
I held off on ST: P entirely because all comments I was getting from everywhere were horrid (curiously not so much in this thread). But recently saw a YT video from Dave Cullen (an opinion I trust) saying not only that Season 3 was very VERY good but also that if you watched TOS, TNG, VOY and DS9 but had avoided PIcard so far, you would be fine (and even better) to go directly to this season, no need to endure watching the first two.

So I binged it. And it was fantastic. I didn't even know I was capable of feeling such an emotional rollercoaster just by watching a sci-fi series.
Finished watching Season 3 over the weekend. I think you've hit the nail on the head about having avoided watching Picard (seasons 1 & 2) that you'll enjoy this more, as apart from a few DS9 themes and a splattering of Voyager crew members, it was pure TNG.

Disapointingly to me, this almost felt more like an extended TNG-crew film rather than a 3rd season of Picard. A lot of S1 & S2 was glossed over or ignored and the whole bit about Agnes and her 'new family' appears to have been completely white washed over. I know season 2 was based around Q and time travel, but to me at least it doesn't clearly explain the Agnes/not Agnes element that the latter end of season 3 brings up.

I only ever really had a passing interest in TNG at the time but i felt the films that crew were involved in wrapped up their time in Starfleet satisfactorily. The odd Picard guest appearence was expected, but i liked the new characters and how they, as largely Starfleet outcasts, interacted with a long-retired admiral. It felt fresh. In comparison this felt tired and that i'd seen it all so many times before. Picard and the Enterprise crew save the universe one last time. Again.

It did hint at a new Enterprise crew series or film potentially coming in the future with Seven as captian, which could be interesting. The Titan crew were largely underused in S3 in my opinion.

One particular (and brief) return and her interaction with Picard was just perfect. The intensity of the eye exchange, with words being secondary, was beautiful. And gut punching.

Huge respect for Frakes' portrayal of an older Ryker and of course Worf is even more amazing now than when he was young! Loved all his titles (especially "Bane to the Duras family"), that's no humble man, sorry Klingon.

Couldn't suppress a LOL when they mention the Enterprise-E, all turn to Worf and he says visibly annoyed "that was NOT my fault!" :lol:
Dave Cullen has some good critiques and advice and like you I trust his opinions on these matters, same as I do with Critical Drinker, so I gave it a watch. Season three was more than okay, way better than the first one (skipped the second season entirely, even though I love Q), but it took me a long time to get into it. I really don't like this one drawn out story per season approach that so many shows are doing nowadays, it just feels lazy to me. I miss the good ole' days of 24 or so episodes per season, with most of them being one off, bespoke, unique tales. Where's Jerome Bixby when you need him!

Back