STAR WARS General Discussion | Warning: Possible SPOILERS!Movies 

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 2,343 comments
A new Star Wars film used to be an occasion to savour. The anticipation, the countdown, the wait, just used to fuel it all. If you’re getting new films every six months or so and other canon material, TV series, comics, novels etc even more frequently, you lose all that anticipation. You end up getting all Star Warsed out.

Building hype only benefits Disney/LFL's bottom line, it does nothing to guarantee quality and to a point just sets up unhealthy expectations. The Phantom Menace and The Force Awakens were both pretty significant releases and neither lived up to they hype they had or truly deserved the box office return based on quality (IMHO)...

I’ve always been a release-weekend SW film watcher, but I’ve not even seen Solo yet. Not because I don’t want to. Far from it. I just don’t feel the urgency. It will no doubt be out on Blu-ray/digital in a couple of months anyway. Disney look to be wanting a return on their investment as quick as they can.

and yet here we are with a 19 month gap between films. I dont' think Star Wars fatigue can have set in that badly yet... as mentioned, look at the rate MCU chucks out films.

I for one will take it all.

Me too...

... personally I'll take the rough with the smooth, Star Wars is a 40+ year old universe, and every new story, film, book, comic, game, series etc. builds on that... it would be great if it was all top-notch stuff, but inevitably, there's some stuff that not everyone's going to enjoy. The important thing is to be able to accept it all, and enjoy the bits you like, without the bits you don't like tainting the rest of it.

I’ve always been a release-weekend SW film watcher, but I’ve not even seen Solo yet. Not because I don’t want to. Far from it. I just don’t feel the urgency. It will no doubt be out on Blu-ray/digital in a couple of months anyway. Disney look to be wanting a return on their investment as quick as they can.

Same here except I haven't seen The Last Jedi or the Solo Movie. Everyone told me not to bother with The Last Jedi and now I just can't be bothered to go see them early.

Doesn't appear to be that way for Marvel.

That's slightly different to me. To start with Marvel movies generally involve a completely different character each time, outside of the Avengers. And it's also not as niche as Star Wars. I'd have to check official stats but I'd bet there are a lot more females going to watch a Marvel movie in comparison to Star Wars for a number of reasons.

To start with Marvel movies generally involve a completely different character each time

Not really. Iron Man had 3 films, Captain America had 3 films, Thor had 3 films, Guardians has 2, Ant-Man is coming up for 2.. and there's rampant crossover film roles now in many/most of the films, and of course the Avengers films mix it all together as well. There's as many 'trilogies' there as there is in Star Wars (technically more at this stage).

Black Panther aside you only have to look at the box office takings to see that the more successful films are the ones that cash in on using the better established characters.

Should be September release.
37392886_1979716315413293_7643173557710618624_o.jpg

It is incredibly awesome that The Clone Wars will actually finished. I have only watched the series once, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

So, they'll be using footage of Carrie Fisher from TFA in Ep IX... I'd personally thought they'd go for a death in the opening crawl... this is IMHO a risky decision. Billy Dee Williams officially confirmed also, which is nice.... and Richard E. Grant... anyone wanna bet on him being a Bad Guy! :D D

Sure, it's not the best movie ever made, but not terrible enough for some people to start an online petition to strike it off the official canon...

It's not so much that it's a bad movie that would warrant striking it from the canon, it's all the things that it introduces to the Star Wars universe.

It destroys the character of Luke Skywalker by giving him this un-Luke Skywalker-ish history, and then kills him off for no particularly good reason. If Luke-freaking-Skywalker can randomly be drawn into trying to murder his nephew, I'm not sure there's any point anyone bothering to try and resist the Dark Side.
It introduces the ultimate weapon of light speed objects, which largely invalidate all space battles up to this point since the invention of hyperspace drives.
It introduces a hyperspace tracker, which even if it's only just come into existence is a nightmare of a thing for a future writer to deal with. Now anyone trying to get away from the First Order has to have a reason why they can't be tracked through hyperspace.
It establishes that one can be a master of the Force with no training or experience, and can defeat powerful opposition that has been in training for decades. 🤬 Rey and her magic powers. At least Anakin and Luke had to work for it.
It establishes that Force ghosts can lightning strike the real universe. Roll on the unstoppable army of Force ghosts.
It does away with any attempt to tie Snoke and Rey (two of the most influential characters of the era) into the universe. Snoke is a guy who died. Rey is nobody. This is strongly at odds with how lineage and history have been treated in the past films. Who you are and who trained you was very important in Episodes 1 through 6 and the Extended Universe. Kylo is the only major character with a back story.
It establishes that both the First Order and Resistance are led by morons. Not just at the top either, several levels deep at least.
It reduces the Resistance to one ship of people with no allies remaining. Seriously, the Resistance is done. Rey might be magic, but she can't take on an entire evil empire by herself. The movie is the bad guys winning, and any come back from here is going to be implausible.

There are any number of problems with the actual plot of the movie, but the things that it introduces to the universe make it a freaking nightmare for anyone else going in afterwards. How hard is it to create a decent movie for Episode 9 given all that took place in TLJ?

Damn near impossible, I'd say. You've got a ridiculous underdog Resistance who are somehow going to have to win against a galactic empire, you've got magic Rey, you've got that any military problem can be solved with hyperspace missiles, and you've got that anyone can be tracked anywhere. It's really hard to create any sort of plausible tension with those in place.

I'm not sure the best writer in the world could do a good job with the Star Wars universe in current state, which may be why there's such a push towards films and media of earlier history where they don't have to deal with the ridiculous shenanigans introduced in the sequels.

Last edited:
Rey could be a nobody. Most Jedi masters started out as nobodies. Ever heard of the Windu dinasty? Of the Ventress Kings and Queens? The freaking mighty Tanos? Oh and the Bridger and Dume Lords of old?

Yeah, me neither. I have no problem with a Rey Nobody. What I have a problem with is having a build-up for a Rey Somebody followed by a "hey, fooled ya, PLOT TWIST! she's a nobody after all " ...

And that's only one of my minor complaints about TLJ. Imari put it best anyway

I still don't get the angst over that.

People were so caught up in her being a Skywalker or Kenobi or whatever, but the beauty of the idea is the message behind it:

Like the fans, Rey is looking for a deeper meaning in her identity. In being part of something bigger than herself. This obsession with legacy is also what weighs down Kylo Ren. Here, she finds that she isn't pre-destined for greatness by dint of birthright. That her fate is her own to choose. (A very Disney-ish message, sure, but it's a good one).

Kylo Ren comes to much the same conclusion. That his obsession with his birthright and past are holding him back from realizing his full potential. It's when both come to grips with that that they start to come into their own as characters.

-

I've never been a great Star Wars fan. Specifically because of the mythos the Universe sets up. Unlike Star Trek (no, not a Trekkie either, I don't obsess over softcore sci-fi all that much, as I favor more technical and speculative novels), in which actors are defined by their actions, Star Wars has its hang-ups with 'special' people destined for greatness. Yet those people disappoint again and again.

To detach the series from its fervent obsession with 'Force Royalty' was a gutsy move. It opens up more avenues of story telling in the future, not less.

-

Luke's character arc was no different from Obi Wan's. He fails to stop Snoke and the First Order (just like Obi Wan and Yoda failed to stop Palpatine), so he goes into hiding, (much like Obi Wan and Yoda did). And in the end, he redeemed himself by embracing the Force, and pulling off one of the most difficult Force projection tricks ever (say what you will about him not actually physically hurting anyone... projecting at interstellar ranges is impressive).

If we're talking about Luke's attempted murder of Ren... that is definitely a problem... but not without precedent, as Luke has been tempted by the Dark Side in the past.

-

As for Rey? Mary Sue is as Mary Sue does, but both Anakin and Luke were Mary Sues, so I don't see it as a big departure from canon.

-

The hyperspace tracker? That's a definite issue, though it is foreshadowed in Rogue One. Makes you wonder why it took them so long to finish it!

-

The First Order, the Empire and the Resistance have always been led by morons. The movies are littered with tactical decisions and strategic maneuvers that are downright idiotic. If you want well-thought out space battles, Star Wars is not the place for it.

-

As for Force Ghosts, remember, this is an evolving storyline, and it is a lost art that is being rediscovered. The canon has also evolved through the years from the first example shown in the movies, and then retconned in parts by newer movies, before this (though apparently the ability to physically touch someone else as a Force Ghost already existed).

If you think about it, though, Force Ghosts, being one with the Force but apart, should technically have access to vast powers... or if you follow the current/former canonical explanation... where they have to tap the Force power of those they are in contact with to become corporeal, Luke himself would provide a pretty handy battery for executing Force Lightning.

Looks interesting, though it definitely comes across as if Disney really had their hands on it. The characters look like they are straight from a traditional Disney animated movie. Poe looks like he could be from Snow White or something. :lol:

Looks interesting, though it definitely comes across as if Disney really had their hands on it. The characters look like they are straight from a traditional Disney animated movie. Poe looks like he could be from Snow White or something. :lol:

Yeah, there's definitely a bit of that going on, though I thought that was already quite noticeable in Rebels. It's quite a contrast to the Clone Wars. Having said that, I do like the look of the animation style, and I'm curious to see what this lends to the pre Sequel Trilogy canon.

Made me remember(and that's a good memory) TRON: Uprising, although that one was much darker in tone. Nothing against this style of animation, it'll be the writing that defines if this is a must-see or a avoid-at-all-costs.

Resistance Trailer..

Thoughts?

Considering who it is created by, my expectations are higher for Resistance than Episode IX. After Clone Wars and what Rebels became, I will give Dave Filoni the benefit of the doubt.

Considering who it is created by, my expectations are higher for Resistance than Episode IX. After Clone Wars and what Rebels became, I will give Dave Filoni the benefit of the doubt.

Filoni is generally on point, but lets not forget, neither TCW or Rebels were well received initially - so I doubt this is going to be a fan hit from the first episode. It's also worth considering that with the live action series coming and the final Clone Wars series, this might be targeted at a slightly younger audience - which of course will displease a large number of the more vocal 'fans'.

Filoni is generally on point, but lets not forget, neither TCW or Rebels were well received initially - so I doubt this is going to be a fan hit from the first episode. It's also worth considering that with the live action series coming and the final Clone Wars series, this might be targeted at a slightly younger audience - which of course will displease a large number of the more vocal 'fans'.

Both Clone Wars and Rebels took some time to find their stride. I expect Resistance will not be different. Unlike the vocal fans, I do not view all things Star Wars through rose tinted nostalgia glasses and have adjusted my expectations accordingly.

Airing at 10pm, that's not a great target as most kids are in bed by that time. :P

With the way TV works these days I'm not so sure the initial air time makes much difference to be honest. I wouldn't mind if it was a little more orientated towards adult viewers, I just think Disney are setting up a kind of tiered system to get kids and people of all ages.

Latest Posts

Back