Stuff you Designed

• Thread starter Venom800tt
  • 106 comments
Sketchup takes skill, you must learn to use all the tools it gives you but even so there is a few things not quite right.

The thing that really helps is to make full use of groups, components, and layers. Groups and components do not stick to the adjacent geometry. I do ALL my linework on Layer Zero. Every object that I think I will want to move as an object gets Grouped. Every object of which I think I will need more than 1 gets made into a Component. And each set of groups gets put on a separate layer - for instance, the house above is grouped into about 6 slices, each on a separate layer. That's how I did the cutaways.

This final rendered model was really just an excercise to mess with lighting and materials and to make a few marketing images. The design model did not have materials, but it did have about 4 different roof configurations (again, different layers) so I could study which roof arrangement looked best and get the client's input.

Nice poster above - has a great vintage vibe to it.

I've gotten back into modelling after putting it on the backburner while focusing on other design endeavors. I had some spare time tonight so I whipped out Rhino for a whirl, and I was happy with what I could render. I've since gotten Autodesk Sketchbook and AliasStudio, so we'll see where those take me. I'm also looking at buying Modo302 over the holidays and tinkering with that. Having 4 extremely potent design programs at my disposal is a great advantage, but not unless I actually learn them...

The design itself is pretty generic Bertoia, but I wanted a barstool, so I gave'er long legs. It was mainly just to get myself back into modelling. Enjoy!

Chair.jpg

Just did up another Bertoia knockoff. Looking to expand on my knowledge with this program over the holidays. Can't wait!

Chair2.jpg

Last edited:
It's really hard to get started, but all it takes is one night of learning some tutorial and surprising yourself at what you can do, then you get hooked. Throw a weekend at it and see what you can come up with. The sad part is learning a bunch of it and knowing you still only know a fraction of the program's capabilities. One of my instructors works for Autodesk as an instructor for Alias, and he still picks up little tricks with these programs, and he works with it full time.

Do you have a legit copy of Maya? Autodesk has a ton of documentation and tutorial material for their programs if you've got the for-real copy.

-edit- Go Team Vacuum! (tonight's mini-project):

Option1:

Vacuum.jpg

Option50c:

VAcuum2.jpg

Bit of a pinch at the suction opening and the main spinal seem, both lazy mistakes at the very beginning that I didn't think would show bad on the render. Meh.

Last edited:
whats the difference from nurbs and V-ray? i keep hearing them a lot, but i know its not an actual program itself, it's some embedded feature in a 3d program.

Nurbs are a manner in which objects are rendered in many 3D programs. Contrary to polygon models, which use numerous geometric surfaces to build an object, nurbs use calculated parabolas and other equations to plot the surfaces, giving them a far smoother texture and render.

V-Ray is something completely different. Many modeling software companies focus on just the actual construction and mathematics of coming up with shapes, and leave enough of their software open sourced so that other programs can piggyback, plug-in or import from the modeling program for actual rendering purposes. V-Ray, along with Maxwell, Flamingo, Penguin, Mexico etc are all rendering programs, which tackle the actual aesthetics of the final image. Rhino has got enough basic rendering options to make some cool effects, but I've yet to explore those more than simple light sources and a material plug-in that's good for quick textures and surfaces.

Hope that answers your questions.

--

Here's another little lunchtime project:

Jar1.jpg

:P

Pins1.jpg

Pins2.jpg

Just some goofy 5-minute render for fun. My class is doing some tutorial stuff that I'm way ahead of, so I'll probably be updating in here every now and then with class assignments.

Screwdriver1.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, here is a plane I designed last week:

I call it the AV-28A Wasp and it is an attack gunship that uses a sort of hybrid propulsion system. Two small turbine engines in the fuselage run generators, which then send electricity to the wingtip mounted Magnetically Levitated Ducted Fans (MLDF) motors, which is just a fancy light weight, high rpm electric motor that I have read NASA documents on.

Just put together this graphic piece for my Design for Private space class. We had to select a product we own that we've got a strong visceral, behavioral and reflective attachment to. I chose my Figs.

figsj.jpg

Good way. Definitely. It reminds me of a Ferrari Enzo+Toyota GT1 road version+A little Maserati. Really cool.

Good way. Definitely. It reminds me of a Ferrari Enzo+Toyota GT1 road version+A little Maserati. Really cool.

Hehe, good :P
Though, of those three I really only see some GT-One in it lol
But really, the car that inspired it the most was the 1992 Allard J2X-C, which was a rather crazy looking Group C. Originally the V350T looked quite a bit like it, but now it has more of a modern LMP look to it. Anyway here is another design I made a while back, this one just as impractical as V350T :P

Venom Raptor

I don't know. on the top one, I think Ferrari, and on the bottom I think Maserati.

Interesting idea with that Raptor.

omg!!! I am Jealous.

you take Graphic Design? I've always loved how one can play around with fonts; i your case, squishing them together and flipping a few texts, boldeningm etc. +rep

Recommend me tutorials you find helpful for rendering cars. that's the first thing i ever want to spend a good amount fo time making on a 3d program, just liek what i did with photoshop, a cartoon car.

ANYWAY.. not really a design, but i drew up this story ahead of time, (yes the style of characters is a Cyanide & Happiness spin-off). I officially draw the school paper comics now and this is obviously the Valentine's Day Issue. I just need 'testers' (you, if you are reading this), to read through the comic, and tell me if you understood it the first time reading it, because the last comic had a bit of confusion.

Feb 13 - 09

you take Graphic Design? I've always loved how one can play around with fonts; i your case, squishing them together and flipping a few texts, boldeningm etc. +rep

I've got no graphic design experience specifically. I'm in Industrial Design, but 2D design and layout just comes a little more naturally when you're working in a purely visual mindset even for a couple years. Thanks for the kind words though.

I haven't rendered anything for quite some time now, but here's a few I did a while ago. I really should take it up again, but I really don't have the time. :(

Here's a couple of .357's:

357magnums.jpg

And this is Hitman's hideout:

hitmanshideout1.jpg
]

That revolver is mad-sexy. ot that i'm a fan of guns, the work is very clean and i like clean work :sly:

37 mins, i timed myself because i tried to record myself doing it. The program saves it and it ends up being a blank white screen going for 37 mins.

And now I designed my first 3d whirly bird (though, based somewhat on one of my planes)...

I call it the AH-80 and obviously it is an attack helo :P

Last edited:
Randomly decided to kill a little time this afternoon by painting my phone. Black and white spatter, still have to seal it up tomorrow.

402-6.jpg

403-2.jpg

401-7.jpg

The only thing I'm designing lately is pieces to my newly-acquired 82 Cherokee Laredo "Levi". Right now I'm working on a dash-design to retrofit modern technology into it. Like the newest version of the GPS "MyGig" and in-car Internet. So far I just have the center done.. I'll post pics tomorrow at some point, I have to scan/take pics of the drawing.

Been a while since i drew a nice car.. so here you go; pencil 4H, F, 3B (omg he used pencils for once!)

gokartprofile.png

Will be shading soon but the linework is for my speedpainting vid coming soon :sly:

Back