Subaru's "STI Turismo" Ad Shows Gran Turismo With Added Realism

I did like this video as had a look at it when it got mentioned in the GT Sport topics a few days ago. Quality work.

Loved the little selection of Subaru cars they put in and wouldn't say not to having some of them appear in Sport or future GT Sport
game.

The thing I guess I would really like to see added to sport is that sort of intro into the race so that the cars appear more alive on track
as GT Sport races start's could have something similar where the car's are racing along on the track and then the camera swings
behind the car and starts the 3...2...1.. countdown.

Would give a bit more realism to the race at least for me but a nice job Subaru and a nice tile to it all too!

Something about this was really unsettling to watch. It looked realistic, but the handling of the car was very shaky.

This is what most of us came to GTPlanet for, though; to get the scoop on GT related news and speculate :P

À GT with even more realism is what PD should be striving for. With an FIA license, it only makes sense.

It would be really great if we could go back to selecting actual tuning parts like in GT2 and like in this video. to me its something that has been missing for a while... the whole mileage upgrade level thing is a very unsatisfying way to mod the cars and doesn't really make sense if you like to modify cars.

hopefully they do something like that for the next GT

That's a very odd video, especially the chase-cam bits. I'm not really sure what they were aiming for with it.

However I will say that if GT Sport had a UI that was even remotely as responsive as that shown in the video I'd be so happy.
The icon zooms etc are just like Driveclub and iirc the UI designer is with Polyphony.

His lines and braking points are really odd :lol: Or it's just the HUD and sounds that make it seem so :scared:

The icon zooms etc are just like Driveclub and iirc the UI designer is with Polyphony.

I didn't know that! Have they joined recently or were they on board for GT Sport? Because GT Sport has an abysmal UI, it's hilarious playing it with a colleague of mine who is a UI coder because he almost ends up screaming at it each time :lol:

His lines and braking points are really odd :lol: Or it's just the HUD and sounds that make it seem so :scared:

While I don't think he was really hotlapping hard, his lines were pretty good judging by his exit lines.

Jerome

Isn't everything virtual (while on track)? The reflections on the back window seem very GT to me. But it's looking superb. If this is how the next game looks, I'm all in. Dunno if Ray tracing is enabled partially of what, but it does look very real.

Edit: looking at it for a second time, I see the trees look too good to be GT. Yeah, it's a bit odd, using real life recordings and then put some GT looking HUD on top.

The UI at the beginning though seems a bit off comparing to what PD usually does.

I didn't know that! Have they joined recently or were they on board for GT Sport? Because GT Sport has an abysmal UI, it's hilarious playing it with a colleague of mine who is a UI coder because he almost ends up screaming at it each time :lol:

UI is pretty good. UX (used experience) though is abysmal in GTS.

Last edited:
It does look and sound like a typical Gran Turismo game. I maybe wrong but I remember PD teasing GTSport on car manufacturer's trailers and stuff.

If that's what the next gen GT would look like then I'm in it looks great to me.

That's a very odd video, especially the chase-cam bits. I'm not really sure what they were aiming for with it.

However I will say that if GT Sport had a UI that was even remotely as responsive as that shown in the video I'd be so happy.
For me it looks like a clip from a drone chasing this STI, but I have no proof. Yet another thing is that the reflection on the car seems to have less FPS in whole clip.
Weird I have to say.

For me it looks like a clip from a drone chasing this STI, but I have no proof. Yet another thing is that the reflection on the car seems to have less FPS in whole clip.
Weird I have to say.
It seems like it. It feels weird, but absolutely amazing at the same time. wow.

This needed some telemetry, so I analysed the video by playing it at 0.25 speed. Some things I discovered:
  1. The chase cam was filmed by driving the car slowly and presumably following it with a drone. At 1:22 in the video you can see a car pass by in the background (on the left side) and at 0.25 speed it seemed to be travelling at normal speed, which suggests the footage has been sped up by around 4x.

2. The timer runs at 30 fps and it counts each frame, so the decimals behind the seconds doesn't go all the way up to 100, they just count to 29 and then reset back to zero (so any time with decimals greater than 29 that you see in the ranking board must have been set by a cheater). It also means that the 1:00:20 lap we see in the video is actually around 1:00.670.

3. The change of speed throughout the video was perfectly linear. That means the physics engine of this "game" has some serious flaws and implies that the car could potentially reach any speed if only given a long enough straight.

4. The track length is only 1890 meters (assuming that the timing and the speedometer is correct). Some sloppy track modelling there since the real track is 2045 meters. Probably not laser scanned. (Edit: Although impressive that they got so close to the real track length when the speed and timing is completely fake!)

5. The WRX STI in this video produced between 36,8 and 147,9 hp/tonne. Perhaps in next video we'll see an oil change and engine overhaul?

STI_vd.png

STI_ap.png

Last edited:
Biggest question I have is what they are trying to achieve with this besides telling people to stay home.

Seems like it’s mostly trying to advertise the STI performance add-ons for their model range....but pretty unsuccessfully since they only appear for a few seconds

I think I accidentally watched this video in slow motion.

Hmmm it appears that everything was simulated, from the menus to the driving, with the driving itself being done in real life with a hud overlay (telemetry readouts?). It doesn't look like a proper time attack session with the footage being sped up in certain parts in my opinion.

The chase cam looks like to me to be on a rig of some sort with the footage being stabilized. Whether it's from the camera or postprocessing (akin to what YouTube does), I'm not sure. It looks great, but in my opinion, has nothing more to do with Gran Turismo other than the title and maybe being a promotional piece. I'll watch it again to see if I missed anything.

This was a horribly edited video. Half of the on track footage is actually real video speedup in some places to match the speed of the game. Im pretty sure most of the interior views were real recordings.

Edit: after a few more watches i would safely say the bumper cam and interior cam are real world recordings.

Last edited:
Wouldn't surprise me that it's teasing GT7 along with a Subaru parts marketing video. But the video went terribly bad in editing.

The facts that the chase cam sections are obviously sped up and also the engine sounds don’t match visuals are very off-putting to me.

However, I didn’t really experience the “uncanny valley” thing, somehow this felt much less realistic to me than, say, GTS visuals.

Back