Super Unofficial DiRT 4 Thread (PS4/XB1/PC)

This is all they have to do.

They simply need a to provide the differing driving models. The mainline Dirt games are typically more casual oriented and in that regard I gather that we'll probably experience a typical semi-arcade physics model you would find in the previous numeric Dirt entries. However, Codemasters can strike a balance by allowing users to select and play with the more advanced driving model we all came to love in Dirt Rally.
Personally I would like them to improve on the driving model for Dirt 4, DR has a good physics engine, but its still got a a lot of headroom for improvement.

Do we think (or know?) this Dirt 4 will have (PS)VR support from day 1?
Great announcement. Busy times for us racers and yet more to come :)

Should be a fun game...i loved Dirt 2 and i also loved the close racing of the rally cross in DR...hopefully that is expanded on with larger grids.

I was really hoping for a Grid Autosport sequel though! Maybe they think theres enough track racers coming this year?

BEST OF BOTH WORLDS!

The graphics, career mode (discounting the dudebro segments like gymkhanas), car varieties, and possibly good looking menus of numbered DIRT series while retaining superb physics of DIRT Rally.
I don't actually mind the gymkhana events in and of themselves, its the presentation that's the issue for me.

My only real concern at this point is I hope not too much content is lost from Dirt Rally. If they're moving to a new game engine I could understand but otherwise it would be pretty frustrating if cars/locations are "replaced" rather than only added to. The landrush content sounds great, but I hope it doesn't come at the "expense" of some of my favourite Group B, Group A or 2000s rally cars for example.

We already know some of the rally locations haven't made the cut - Australia, Spain and Michigan are fine additions but Finland in particular seems a big loss from that list. Also, I note there is no mention of hillclimb in any of the announcement material.......

Oh, one more thing - I really hope they build upon the structure of Dirt Rally's career mode rather than just revert back to the traditional "here's a big checklist of events for you to run through" format. Or at the very least, I hope custom championships remain!

We already know some of the rally locations haven't made the cut - Australia, Spain and Michigan are fine additions but Finland in particular seems a big loss from that list.
Every rally game does Finland. It's iconic for sure, but there comes a point where you need to move on. Especially when you're only doing the same few kilometres of Ouninpohja.

Wow. What a pleasent surprise. Im enjoying Dirt Rally since 2 weeks and i will definitly get the new one, too. Altough i think that Dirt Rally gets a bit too harsh with the third season.

With this, PCars2, Forza 7 and GT Sport, 2017 in racing games is simply MEGA.

Wow. What a pleasent surprise. Im enjoying Dirt Rally since 2 weeks and i will definitly get the new one, too. Altough i think that Dirt Rally gets a bit too harsh with the third season.

With this, PCars2, Forza 7 and GT Sport, 2017 in racing games is simply MEGA.

And 2016? Dirt Rally, Forza Horizon, Sebastien Loeb and Assetto Corsa.

Best generation for the genre?

Might give this game a shot. I briefly played DiRT 2 on PS3 a few years ago and I was horrible at it. Now that this is coming out for modern systems and won't be as hardcore as DiRT Rally (unless you want it to), it seems like this will be worth a try.

Frankly I don't know why. It's like Project CARS announcing pCARS 2 when they could've just updated and improved the previous. DiRT Rally is pretty good as is, so why make a separate game? Either way, looking forward to what it will become...hopefully not another DiRT 3.
Because they wont see the same financial return that a new title will bring, i assume.
Should be a fun game...i loved Dirt 2 and i also loved the close racing of the rally cross in DR...hopefully that is expanded on with larger grids.

I was really hoping for a Grid Autosport sequel though! Maybe they think theres enough track racers coming this year?
I'd wager on a new Grid or something like that coming out in the next couple years.

This news made me realize how DR is missing too many locations like Australia.

The inclusion of just 5 rally locations and more focus on RallyX makes me a bit skeptical, but I'm curious nonetheless since I haven't played a DiRT game after 2 when Kenny Block turned it into a shadow of what it used to be.

Excellent news. I like this. Just wish they could make a DiRT1-like game, that game was great.

I'm hoping the 2017 WRC cars will be in the game. I know the season has just started, but the regulations have been published for a while now and the cars have bern publicly tested, so hopefully Codemasters had the chance to model them.

The inclusion of just 5 rally locations and more focus on RallyX makes me a bit skeptical
Don't forget the procedurally-generated stages and the ability to share them with your friends - the number of locations may be limited, but the number of stages is (potentially) unlimited.

I'm hoping the 2017 WRC cars will be in the game. I know the season has just started, but the regulations have been published for a while now and the cars have bern publicly tested, so hopefully Codemasters had the chance to model them.
Sorry, WRC cars are out this time. They couldn't get the license for any - according to one of the lucky few who got to play the game before its' reveal over at the CM HQ.

I'll remain cautiously skeptical.

On one hand, I was extremely happy to see the Codemasters guys state (after Dirt Rally) that they were happy with the response and would move on the next title, keeping it heavily sim-based etc. They admitted that Dirt Rally was a minimal budget market-test essentially - based on old engines/software etc.

But, now we're talking about Dirt 4...sharing a title name with a decidedly not-sim approach from past Dirt titles. I'm not stoked about the increase in disciplines and the various handling modes etc. I've almost never found a game which can do several things exceptionally well. I feel the same way about PCars; I think it's a mistake to go after Rallycross physics when the base game (while great) still needs a lot of work.

I want this to be a Dirt Rally successor...not a Dirt 3 successor with "hard mode" included. I also hesitate a bit because this is awfully quick turn around since Dirt Rally. That never gives me much confidence.

In closing...I hope I'm dead wrong and it's a world-beating, all-conquering rally video game dream.

Back