Sure I want the new Ford GT, but I wouldn't trade a single VGT for it.

I personally have nothing against VGT. They're at least interesting, and I like them if they have a point. I just don't like pointless cars such as the Mitsubishi or the Mini. Derived from real cars, ugly, and horrible to drive. I don't like the crazy-performance oriented either, such as SRT and Chap.
I don't like to think that this project exploited the time and recources which could have been used to better purposes. They're not the smallest developers in the world.
If they wanted to implement good things (firstly the ones listed in the suggestions) they just would have done it, with or without VGTs

I think PD just wants GT7 to stand out as to why the lack of new cars and just sticks with VGT cars in GT6. For example Forza Motorsport 6 has cars from Forza Motoroaport 5 and Forza Horizon 2. So my point is Forza 6 won't stand out as much car list wise like it would have without Forza Horizon 2 and Forza 5. (Obviously it is for some people,but that's here or there) But it is what it is.

They've added 16 real cars so far, it's not that rare.
How many real cars did they add in GT5?
Define rare. That works out to roughly 3/4 of a car per month or 3 cars every 4 months. I would think that most people would consider that a trickle of real car DLC, especially in what is supposed to the flagship racing game on console.

16 ?

Maybe in the world of Kaz and counting different colors, tuned up versions of the car present already in other 71 versions and lights on the roof. It's all personal opinion about dupes in GT games though so let's not go there.

To me the list of real DLC cars added to GT6 is this:

BMW M4 Coupé

Lexus IS F CCS-R '11

LOTUS 97T '85

Mario Andretti's 1948 Hudson

Nissan GT-R LM NISMO '15

Nissan Zytek Z11SN Greaves Motorsport '13

Toyota TS030 Hybrid '12

West Surrey Racing, 1983 Ayrton Senna

That's 9 cars I can safely say are unique and new. Almost all race cars too.

It's a driving simulator, so why am I driving fantasy cars? For all it's worth, I could be playing Burnout or NFS and still have the same experience.
In a simulator you can also simulate things that doesent exist.

For me VGT cars are not just "fantasy cars"
VGT cars are virtual concept cars from real car manufacturers that we all can simulate in GT6
sry for my englisch

Last edited:
A lot of fuss has been made over Forza 6's car list, especially the new Ford GT. The noise will only get louder as the casual gamers switch to what is new and shiny.

As I reflect back on GT 6 I can't help but be really impressed with the VGT cars. Some people just don't get it. These manufacturers are putting real resources and real money towards these designs. Many of which I think will start to appear in some form or another in their actual production lines. I feel the best is yet to come for the VGT cars and I can't wait to see how it all ends. So Forza you can have the current model Ford GT, I'll see you in the future with my VGT's.
I wouldn't trade the VGT for any road cars because it would be like trading 1 Euro for 1 Euro, in other words I wouldn't feel like I won in that trade. Having said that, I would trade each one of them to have the 2014 Chevrolet #3 Corvette Racing Corvette C7.R, 2014 Audi #45 Flying Lizard Motorsports R8 LMS ultra, 2014 #93 SRT Motorsports Viper GTS-R and all the V8 Supercars. I would trade ALL the VGTs TWICE.

I think you'll find it's not just casuals interested in a new game. It's not unreasonable: GT6 is nearing the two year mark on a replaced system, with a long-delayed feature still missing. It sold significantly less than any other full GT title. It happens.

To each their own: I'd gladly trade 3/4 of the VGT lineup for the new GT itself, never mind a few other cars. VGT joins GTAcademy, in being a brilliant piece of marketing. The Chaparral and SRT cemented the idea that it was just a digital Top Trumps for car companies, with ridiculous hand-waving to describe "technologies that haven't even been invented yet". People point at it as some sort of milestone for the automotive industry, or PD, but really, it only is for the latter. Because they'll still talk about it at any opportunity 10 years from now, but we won't hear the automakers doing the same. The new Hyundai won't showcase anything we'll see on a future car (even in 2025) that won't already be shown on one of their actual concept cars, except the melty-Honda badge. :P

It's a great bullet point for PD's marketing team, but VGT is no replacement for real cars, especially for a game with such a lop-sided, hole-filled car list.

I stopped holding my breath for paid DLC cars in this game ages ago. VGT is like my favorite thing about this game however, it throws me all the way back ten years ago to when I saw all these cool concept cars in real life and video games, given the ability to drive them in my fantasy escape I indulged in it with gusto. Today this carries on as manufacturers take their own time and effort to make Concept cars for me, the player, to drive in my favorite game no less. I promised myself I'd see the entire thing through as long as I had a PS3.

But I guess no one likes the idea because it apparently kills off real cars.
Yuuup 👍. The chance to test drive concept cars is a privilege. It seriously is a brilliant idea taken from years of GTs made into a program of sorts. And a project that is taken seriously by all types of manufacturers.

In a simulator you can also simulate things that doesent exist.

For me VGT cars are not just "fantasy cars"
VGT cars are virtual concept cars from real car manufacturers that we all can simulate in GT6
sry for my englisch
Said well. :)

VGT is definitely not a replacement to production and race cars @SlipZtrEm.
I think it is an amazing idea that could have been executed better. At the end of the day, they are concept cars with half of them being realistic ideas for production cars. I'm more for those type of cars, but the unreal ones have been awesome. Not all are "fun" to me though.

Last edited:
What if the VGT is actually a precursor of the actual production car? You know, like an uaual concept car.

The only one I can think of was the Mini VGT.
Screen-Shot-2015-02-26-at-4.35.01-AM.png

mini-cooper-clubman_100515682_h.jpg

miniclubman1.jpg

mini-cooper-clubman_100515675_h.jpg

I don't understand some people... EVERY major release of Gran Turismo has had some sort of concept car in it. Including GT1.
And the overwhelming majority of those were actual concept cars that generally happened to be contemporary with whatever game was currently releasing. So other than the outliers like the Nike 2021, the GT by Citroen (sorta) and the X1, it's not really remotely the same thing.

Many of which I think will start to appear in some form or another in their actual production lines.
The only ones that ever had any chance of that were the ones that were deliberately built to look similar to cars that were already nearing production anyway, like the BMW and the Mini.

Let's take an example. Volkswagen (including Audi) as a company has spent the past decade making each successive redesign of their bread and butter models deliberately more conservative in styling than the last. This is for a variety of practical reasons (burgeoning Chinese market which overwhelmingly favors conservative car styling, as well as VW's desire for dramatically increased sales in North America, which to a lesser extent prefers the same) as well as preferences of whoever is heading the styling house at the time. Are you insinuating that they are going to throw that entire trend in reverse so they can implement anything of note from this:
VW-GTI-Roadster-Vision-Gran-Turismo-10.jpg

Just because it was in a videogame?

Last edited:
Oh brother where have I heard this before... :rolleyes: It's the same thing with Porsche. Due to it not being in GT and it's in Forza, he or she will be like "Oh, well, I perfer RUFs (despite them being standards) over Porsches even though I actually like Porsches."

I'm sorry, but I rather have real cars over ridge racer cars ANY DAY. I honestly see nothing special about these "things" other than there designs... "Oh wow, there's one that looks like a hot dog with four wheels, and it has a laser engine in it? THAT SO BADASS." If I wanted to play with fantasy cars, Ridge racer or any other racing game with made up cars are there for that, not GT which started off with real cars since the 90's which is why most even came to like GT and expected it to keep adding real cars in the first place (me included).

Yes, the VGT program is cool (for awhile) but now, IMO, it's gone very stale. It wouldn't have to be if PD themselves actually focused adding more real cars as DLC as well. But no no, the excuse is now "but but but, the real cars are being saved for GT7. GT6 already has 1200 cars, so play with that and stop whining." Yet you'll be the be one to whine if they don't your favorite car(s) in GT7 (and no, standard cars don't count).

Oh brother where have I heard this before... :rolleyes: It's the same thing with Porsche. Due to it not being in GT and it's in Forza, he or she will be like "Oh, well, I perfer RUFs (despite them being standards) over Porsches even though I actually like Porsches."

I'm sorry, but I rather have real cars over ridge racer cars ANY DAY. I honestly see nothing special about these "things" other than there designs... "Oh wow, there's one that looks like a hot dog with four wheels, and it has a laser engine in it? THAT SO BADASS." If I wanted to play with fantasy cars, Ridge racer or any other racing game with made up cars are there for that, not GT which started off with real cars since the 90's which is why most even came to like GT in the first (me included).

Yes, the VGT program is cool (for awhile) but now, IMO, it's gone very stale. It wouldn't have to be if PD themselves actually focused adding more real cars as DLC as well. But no no, the excuse is now "but but but, the real cars are being saved for GT7. GT6 already has 1200 cars, so play with that and stop whining." Yet you'll be the be one to whine if they don't your favorite car(s) in GT7 (and no, standard cars don't count).
It's only stale because of the complete neglect by PD in pretty much every other aspect of the game.

If forza announced a similar project right now, I'd probably **** bricks.

But the difference is the VGT cars are designed by real car companies unlike the arcade games you mentioned.
But what difference does that actually make? These cars aren't getting the full engineering might of an auto manufacturer. Most of them don't even do anything but wildly exaggerate whatever design language the manufacturer happens to be using at the time anyway. It's likely down to a handful of guys in the respective design departments making the VGT design from start to finish, from sketches to 3D computer models, then the marketing guys giving it a once over for the press releases that get picked up on slow news days for car magazine blogs. Only if it goes to a clay (like the Mercedes, VW and a handful of others) would anyone from the engineering part probably get involved, because then someone has to actually figure out how to build it.

How is that any different than when a handful of guys who work for a videogame developer do the exact same thing, and might have even gone to the same schools? About ten years ago Namco actually built a running, drivable version of the car on the cover of the Ridge Racer PSP games:

516448792_ec8955aafd_o.jpg

516474355_0f393dfde5_o.jpg

Does that still not count because it was originally designed by some game developers for an arcade game; but the Chaparral Laser Beam Dream, with it's pretty much theoretical propulsion system and design by someone who has nothing to do with Chaparral, does? Do game developers for racing series other than Gran Turismo just not care about cars as much?

A pretty big part of automotive design is working to make your designs workable in some form. That can mean compromises when it comes to actually producing them, but it doesn't always. Wild pie in the sky design student orgasm concept cars have always been made ever since car manufacturers took body tooling in house. They were really big in the late 80s throughout the early 2000s as technology was evolving at a humongous clip year after year. But the design student orgasm rarely ever had any real significance, even when they were actually propped up as important by the manufacturer in question, because the public largely didn't care unless there was a tangible relation to whatever it is they could buy. Why are a bunch of cars that mostly don't even exist outside of a single game any different?

Last edited:
Or people actually prefer RUF, I mean you can do that because you're free to have an opinion without it being dismissed so apathetically.

I'm sorry, but I rather have real cars over ridge racer cars ANY DAY.
Oh brother where have I heard this before... :rolleyes:
We get it, you don't like VGT. You aren't forced to use them.
I honestly see nothing special about these "things" other than there designs... "Oh wow, there's one that looks like a hot dog with four wheels, and it has a laser engine in it? THAT SO BADASS."
Oh a brief set out for designers is only cool because of the designs. How odd...
If I wanted to play with fantasy cars, Ridge racer or any other racing game with made up cars are there for that, not GT which started off with real cars since the 90's which is why most even came to like GT and expected it to keep adding real cars in the first place (me included).
Oh, like this?
purple_copperhead.jpeg

How about the LM editions too? Are they real?

So wait, you can't wait until GT7 for more cars, and dismiss anyone who can?

But what difference does that actually make? These cars aren't getting the full engineering might of an auto manufacturer. Most of them don't even do anything but wildly exaggerate whatever design language the manufacturer happens to be using at the time anyway. It's likely down to a handful of guys in the respective design departments making the VGT design from start to finish, from sketches to 3D computer models, then the marketing guys giving it a once over for the press releases that get picked up on slow news days for car magazine blogs. Only if it goes to a clay (like the Mercedes, VW and a handful of others) would anyone from the engineering part probably get involved.

How is that any different than when a handful of guys who work for a videogame developer do the exact same thing, and might have even gone to the same schools? About ten years ago Namco actually built a running, drivable version of the car on the cover of the Ridge Racer PSP games:

516448792_ec8955aafd_o.jpg

516474355_0f393dfde5_o.jpg

Does that still not count because it was originally designed by some game developers for an arcade game; but the Chaparral Laser Beam Dream, with it's pretty much theoretical propulsion system and design by someone who has nothing to do with Chaparral, does? Do game developers for racing series other than Gran Turismo just not care about cars as much?

A pretty big part of automotive design is working to make your designs workable in some form. That can mean compromises when it comes to actually producing them, but it doesn't always. Wild pie in the sky design student orgasm concept cars have always been made ever since car manufacturers took body tooling in house. They were really big in the late 80s throughout the early 2000s as technology was evolving at a humongous clip year after year. But the design student orgasm rarely ever had any real significance, even when they were actually propped up as important by the manufacturer in question, because the public largely didn't care unless there was a tangible relation to whatever it is they could buy. Why are a bunch of cars that mostly don't even exist outside of a single game any different?

*sigh* Look man you maybe right,but I mean just because you and others don't prefer the VGT project or cars that don't quite fit realism doesn't mean that it's not right for everyone if let's say PD actually listen to criticism like yours about VGT and drop the VGT project completely overnight. Than people will call them "liars" or "they don't even execute their planned projects all the way" and what will you say at the end? "I'm glad they've listened and now we can just have production cars like other games like Project Cars and Forza" I mean of course I can't predict what you say,but it's just a plain guess. Also wouldn't you be mad at the car companies for wanting to go their preferred way of making their VGT instead of PD?

I'm sorry, but I rather have real cars over ridge racer cars ANY DAY. I honestly see nothing special about these "things" other than there designs... "Oh wow, there's one that looks like a hot dog with four wheels, and it has a laser engine in it? THAT SO BADASS." If I wanted to play with fantasy cars, Ridge racer or any other racing game with made up cars are there for that, not GT which started off with real cars since the 90's which is why most even came to like GT and expected it to keep adding real cars in the first place (me included).

I wish you'd shut up with your bitching, You are so full of **** you get the Johnny Penso seal of approval.

And yes I'll take infractions for that, the worst thing about GT these days is nothing to do with the game on your PS 3, it's the **** that is spewed forth in this 'community' by people that pretty much already gave up on the game.

Oh, like this?
purple_copperhead.jpeg

How about the LM editions too? Are they real?
The Copperhead was a real car. That particular configuration was not. The LMs are a yes & no because some of them were clearly, heavily inspired by real racing cars. I believe someone on here a couple years ago even had a thread outlining which cars had real life counterparts.

But, the biggest difference between your examples & the VGTs is that the LMs are all easily within' the realm of being replicated in real life because again, the inspiration for them comes from real race cars. Some of the VGT cars seem based on using technology that hasn't even been invented yet that would allow what the game "simulates". Most are just pure concept cars that have little-to-no chance of seeing production unlike the LMs which could be legitimately built to go racing.

The Copperhead was a real car. That particular configuration was not. The LMs are a yes & no because some of them were clearly, heavily inspired by real racing cars. I believe someone on here a couple years ago even had a thread outlining which cars had real life counterparts.
That is true, these are just examples plucked from the 1st game to show GT hasn't always been about real life cars. The LMs, although feasible, do fall in the "No" category for the same reason a car like the BMW VGT does. It hasn't been done.

But, the biggest difference between your examples & the VGTs is that the LMs are all easily within' the realm of being replicated in real life because again, the inspiration for them comes from real race cars. Some of the VGT cars seem based on using technology that hasn't even been invented yet that would allow what the game "simulates". Most are just pure concept cars that have little-to-no chance of seeing production unlike the LMs which could be legitimately built to go racing.
See, I have a slight issue with this part.

They may be just pure concept cars with no hope of production, but the LMs are just pure racers with no hope of production too. So they're both in the same basket, really.

It's a driving simulator, so why am I driving fantasy cars? For all it's worth, I could be playing Burnout or NFS and still have the same experience.
No. Both games are worlds apart from each other and give totally different experiences. NFS and Burnout are arcade games, but GT is geared towards simulation.

If the VGT's allow car companies and PD to collaborate with each other and form a relationship, wouldn't that in turn mean that we will get the latest products from them in the next GT?

I wish you'd shut up with your bitching, You are so full of **** you get the Johnny Penso seal of approval.

And yes I'll take infractions for that, the worst thing about GT these days is nothing to do with the game on your PS 3, it's the **** that is spewed forth in this 'community' by people that pretty much already gave up on the game.
Glad you are, because I've just reported you. Did you seriously have to go off sounding like a raging 10 year old who just got his toys taken away from him? I'm sorry but, take a chill pill and get some air please...

And what did @Johnnypenso do? Leave him out of this because he did nothing to get you this heated... 👎
So wait, you can't wait until GT7 for more cars, and dismiss anyone who can?
Was in no way attempting to dismiss anyone who can wait for new cars in GT7, because that's fine. All I'm saying is one shouldn't whine if their favorite car(s) aren't featured in GT7 due to GT6 not adding anymore as DLC other than the VGTs.

wouldn't that in turn mean that we will get the latest products from them in the next GT?

In theory, yes. There is a major lack of current cars in GT6 and there doesn't appear to be any rush to add some even with these relationships.

And what did @Johnnypenso do? Leave him out of this because he did nothing to get you this heated... 👎
By insulting the VGT project, and BMW made two VGTs, so Johnnypenso insulted BMW.

*sigh* Look man you maybe right,but I mean just because you and others don't prefer the VGT project or cars that don't quite fit realism doesn't mean that it's not right for everyone if let's say PD actually listen to criticism like yours about VGT and drop the VGT project completely overnight. Than people will call them "liars" or "they don't even execute their planned projects all the way" and what will you say at the end? "I'm glad they've listened and now we can just have production cars like other games like Project Cars and Forza" I mean of course I can't predict what you say,but it's just a plain guess. Also wouldn't you be mad at the car companies for wanting to go their preferred way of making their VGT instead of PD?
What? What does that have to do with what I said? You said that manufacturers doing the heavy lifting for the fantasy cars gives them more (for lack of a better word) credibility. That's what I was responding to.

It's a great bullet point for PD's marketing team, but VGT is no replacement for real cars, especially for a game with such a lop-sided, hole-filled car list.

Real cars. Real cars. Real cars.
Cars that exist, physically. Cars that enter a production line. Cars that work, mechanically. Cars that work as designed/intended. Cars my friend saw in the dealership. Cars that I've personally driven.

This treadmill so people can fit their complaints is pretty funny. I'd bet good money that it's mostly a reaction to the attachment of a "video game" company to the name of these concepts. Same kind of **** slinging "arguments" you see with "REAL SIMULATION!" between consoles/computers that is so baseless it makes Santa cry.

And everyone gets it.
A parcel loves road legal super cars mostly. They think most games lack this and most games favor something they don't like (normal >120hp cars).
Another parcel loves specific category racing cars. They think most games lack this and most games favor something they don't like (SuperGT cars).
Another parcel loves modern cars. Another parcel loves legendary racing cars. And so on.
Why add the Suzuki Alto '16 when they could have spent the time modelling the 488 GTB, and why model the Ferrari when they could have modelled the M5 E28 CSL?

By these perspectives every selection that does not include all elements possible to a set will be considered lop-sided and hole-filled by someone somewhere.

And that is why this is such a laughable statement. GT has by far the largest representation (and no, I don't mean car count) of car types. Even if you take the 75% production cars 25% racing cars distribution, that's way less "lop-sided" than the group it represents (real life), so we'll fall again in terms of preferences.

They may be just pure concept cars with no hope of production, but the LMs are just pure racers with no hope of production too. So they're both in the same basket, really.
Except some of them were produced or at the least, heavily inspired by real racing cars.
gt2venturi600lm.jpg

2bb9ab132fe084e58d166911f66146b5.jpg

gt3fto_in.jpg

taeivon08.jpeg

gt4_carreras_europeas_campeonato_paneuropeo.jpg

proxy_php_image_http_www_donlawracing_com_PICT.jpg

Others like the Zonda LM are clearly inspired by the Zonda GR, or several of the Japanese LMs that influenced by modifications done in the Super GT (such as the RX-7 LM). It doesn't matter if some did make production or not if you revert back to what I said in the first place:
Most are just pure concept cars that have little-to-no chance of seeing production unlike the LMs which could be legitimately built to go racing.
The LM Edition/Race Cars that don't actually exist in real life had/have way more chance of being produced to go racing; they're modeled off existing cars.

Last edited:
Back