Sure I want the new Ford GT, but I wouldn't trade a single VGT for it.

No, really, you first:

[citation required]

[citation required]

Ah, the No True Scotsman approach. Gotcha.
I'm playing GT online since GT5 came out, since more than 4 years ago. I know very well. If you want to see for yourself you only have to play online. Only a very small part of the online lobbies make sure they make different rules all the time for encouraging people to buy and use lots of different cars. The vast majority just puts a simple PP limit and thats it

And about the "true car fan" thing, I made sure to write "in my opinion" just in case someone had doubts

I'm playing GT online since GT5 came out, since more than 4 years ago. I know very well. If you want to see for yourself you only have to play online. Only a very small part of the online lobbies make sure they make different rules all the time for encouraging people to buy and use lots of different cars. The vast majority just puts a simple PP limit and thats it

That's funny, that's still not proof that anybody complaining only uses 15-20 different cars when they play online, nor is it proof nobody uses the M4 online. Again, provide it.

And about the "true car fan" thing, I made sure to write "in my opinion" just in case someone had doubts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

A lot of fuss has been made over Forza 6's car list, especially the new Ford GT. The noise will only get louder as the casual gamers switch to what is new and shiny.

As I reflect back on GT 6 I can't help but be really impressed with the VGT cars. Some people just don't get it. These manufacturers are putting real resources and real money towards these designs. Many of which I think will start to appear in some form or another in their actual production lines. I feel the best is yet to come for the VGT cars and I can't wait to see how it all ends. So Forza you can have the current model Ford GT, I'll see you in the future with my VGT's.

I don't see why everybody swoons over FM6 car list because all things considered, GT1-5 and FM1-5 have offered new cars to (each respective) series for years.

But the VGT feature is a strict departure from the "wait on the manufacturer for the newest model to put in our game" approach as it directly involves the Gran Turismo players in the concept car design phase.

Who knows what we will see in future that resembles something we got to virtually experience today. Really... how cool is that?

I find VGT's offensive myself. I will never understand why anybody would actually prefer this kind of made up fantasy rubbish in a game with the "Real Driving Simulator" written on the box to real licenced cars.

@Tired Tyres - GT5 Level 41 summed up everything (bold, 2nd paragraph) you need to know in regards to your "fantasy rubbish" comment.

These are real world manufacturers designing the VGT's and if you really think about it, most "real" cars start in similar fashion. Rubbish? Not hardly.

I don't see why everybody swoons over FM6 car list because all things considered, GT1-5 and FM1-5 have offered new cars to (each respective) series for years.

But the VGT feature is a strict departure from the "wait on the manufacturer for the newest model to put in our game" approach as it directly involves the Gran Turismo players in the concept car design phase.

Who knows what we will see in future that resembles something we got to virtually experience today. Really... how cool is that?

@Tired Tyres - GT5 Level 41 summed up everything (bold, 2nd paragraph) you need to know in regards to your "fantasy rubbish" comment.

These are real world manufacturers designing the VGT's and if you really think about it, most "real" cars start in similar fashion. Rubbish? Not hardly.

I regard them as a complete & total waste of time and effort of PD's part. That is my opinion. I accept that yours will differ.

You think GT is better off in this exchange? Good luck with that.

So Forza you can have the current model Ford GT, I'll see you in the future with my VGT's.

I regard them as a complete & total waste of time and effort of PD's part. That is my opinion. I accept that yours will differ.

You think GT is better off in this exchange? Good luck with that.

Indeed. People are going to disagree with the whole VGT Program, but it is bigger then that.

Good luck with what? Not sure how "luck" has anything to do with personal tastes.

The VGT project is a fantastic idea that has been embraced by many auto manufactures. Yes, some of the designs are too futuristic, too unrealistic, too fantastic for many people, but the auto industry has been producing futuristic/unrealistic/fantastic concept cars for decades. We've already seen elements of VGT cars show up in the real world, like the tail lights of the Aston Martin Vulcan and the wheels of the Alpine Celebration.

Aston Martin DP-100 VGT
i1gboqGo4EMuEuB.jpg

Aston Martin Vulcan
2016-aston-martin-vulcan-inline3-photo-657175-s-original.jpg

Alpine VGT Race Mode
i1BNkEMIeu9RJ.jpg

Alpine Celebration
alpine-celebration-concept-2015-24-hours-of-le-mans_100514420_m.jpg

We as a community of car lovers, can only hope that more VGT elements will make their way into more real world designs. This collaboration between the virtual and real world is unprecedented, and it speaks to the significance of the Gran Turismo brand. Kaz did not set out to simply design a video game. He desires to bring the real world and the virtual world closer together. He is actively changing the gaming, automotive, and motorsport industries through Gran Turismo and projects like VGT, GT Academy, the SEMA Awards, the Pebble Beach Trophy, and the eventual FIA / Gran Turismo championship.

The unfortunate thing is that GT5 and GT6 both have serious flaws as games (standard cars, poor sound, terrible AI, etc...). Additionally, competition from Forza Motorsport, Project CARS, Assetto Corsa, and others only highlight the areas where GT is lacking as a video game. Delays, poor communication, and poorly executed concepts only make things worse for PD and Gran Turismo, but none of these competitors come close to Gran Turismo as an entity across the gaming, automotive, and motorsport industries.

Yes, more real world cars as paid DLC would be great, but for unknown reasons, PD have chosen to only provide us with free updates. I will never complain about free content. I don't feel that VGT cars are at the expense of real cars in GT6. It is just the fact that PD is holding the real cars for GT7. Let's hope for approximately 700 premium cars in GT7 (~150 new, ~50 standards upgraded).

Ideally a paid DLC car pack would have been released with each VGT. These car pack could have included 3-5 real world models from the VGT manufacturer and served as a means to further celebrate each brand. However, this would have required significant additional modeling resources to be applied to GT6. I think there is still an outside chance of paid DLC to be released after Course Maker and before GT7.

Be glad that there are so many racing games worth playing. Gran Turismo has been an innovator for nearly 20 years, but the competition has caught up and passed GT in many areas. If you don't like VGT, go try something else, but don't waste time complaining about free content that was announced months before GT6 was released.

Last edited:
The online grip I have about the VGT cars, aside from the MINI VGT maybe, is that they can't be used with the other cars in a given category or against teach other for that matter.

The two VW's are pretty much on par with each other, but not really on par with other 600pp cars. I'm not sure if this is because of the poorly functioning pp system or if, for some reason, they've intentionally designed the cars to only be used against themselves.

All that said, the odd new car would be nice. What have gotten so far? 1? The GTR Nismo?

Why some people complain about the lack of new cars in GT6, if they will end up using only the 15-20 fastest/most competitive cars in online races? ;)

To give a quick example no one uses the brand new BMW M4 because its not good enough and instead they use the older M3 CSL and M3 GTR because they are faster.

So there you go, complaining is just trendy nowadays.
The narrow-mindedness is strong with this one...

No one uses the M4? Really? Seriously? And for what reason?

I'm amazed that after all this time you still act as if you are the be-all and end-all of how we ought to play the game.

I maintain what I said

Then, for the third time now: back up your claims. If you want to present them as facts, it shouldn't be too hard.

We've already seen elements of VGT cars show up in the real world, like the tail lights of the Aston Martin Vulcan and the wheels of the Alpine Celebration.

To be fair, we have no idea if it didn't work the other way around: that the real life cars, in the planning phase, inspired aspects of the virtual cars. Lead times certainly are longer for the former.

I don't feel that VGT cars are at the expense of real cars in GT6.

There is a finite amount of man-hours for car modelling with PD's team. If they're modelling VGT's, that means they aren't modelling something else.

It is just the fact that PD is holding the real cars for GT7.

Not fact, but assumption. A fair one - and oh boy, do I hope it's the case considering the lack of real cars added to GT6 - but there's no confirmation that PD is intentionally limiting the real cars from GT6.

Ideally a paid DLC car pack would have been released with each VGT. These car pack could have included 3-5 real world models from the VGT manufacturer and served as a means to further celebrate each brand. However, this would have required significant additional modeling resources to be applied to GT6. I think there is still an outside chance of paid DLC to be released after Course Maker and before GT7.

Now would be a bad time from a business perspective: there's no doubt a large swath of the people that purchased GT6 have moved on. As it's also sold significantly less than GT5 - less than half - I've no reason to think starting a paid DLC program for a 21-month old game, that has received ample free updates so far, would be fruitful.

I do agree with the first part of the quoted comment, though: packs such as that would've really helped, and played into PD's approach of "We Love Cars". It's a shame they didn't go that route.

Be glad that there are so many racing games worth playing.

As ever, competition breeds excellence. 👍

The narrow-mindedness is strong with this one...

No one uses the M4? Really? Seriously? And for what reason?

I'm amazed that after all this time you still act as if you are the be-all and end-all of how we ought to play the game.
I exaggerated a bit and I meant in general terms, but that's the trend in online rooms. They dont tend to use the newest cars but rather the fastest/most competitive ones, and thats it, I wish it wasnt the case, I tell you.

Then, for the third time now: back up your claims. If you want to present them as facts, it shouldn't be too hard.
How can I do so?
Just enter online rooms limited by PP for a while and you will see, I cannot do that for you.

There is a finite amount of man-hours for car modelling with PD's team. If they're modelling VGT's, that means they aren't modelling something else.

Not fact, but assumption. A fair one - and oh boy, do I hope it's the case considering the lack of real cars added to GT6 - but there's no confirmation that PD is intentionally limiting the real cars from GT6.

There were 40+ car modellers between chief/assistants in GT6. If we take the old quote from before GT5 where "1 modeller for 1 car = 6 months" and we round down on the assumption here meaning that 1 chief with their team takes 6 months in a car, we'd have 12 cars finished each 6 month intervals.
And lets pretend that they started working on new cars/VGTs only after GT6 released, that's three 6 'complete months cycles'. 36 cars could have been added by now.

VGTs (counting variants as separate) count up to 21 models. That leaves 15 "real cars" for them to have possibly added. Which I think is the amount added.

We know PD has been expanding, was this ever confirmed to be PD's crew? Been more than 6 months... , and GT7 works started not long after 6's release (no citation here but PS4 was already release, Kaz/Sony heads relation, Gran Turismo brand), it is more than a fair assumption, it is a sound inference that their staff has been working on assets that will be available on the next game, and that includes cars. Real cars.

As it's also sold significantly less than GT5 - less than half

How does that work again?
[citation required]

I'm kidding, that doesn't match what I've seen but I can't offer evidence either.

How can I do so?
Just enter online rooms limited by PP for a while and you will see, I cannot do that for you.

Better take 100+ pictures of lobbies as sampling and crunch that data or else you'll never live by your comprehensible hyperbolic anecdote understood as a true proposition, losing this argument.

Last edited:
As someone has said, I think people would hate the VGTs less if PD had bundled 1 real life car from the same manufacturer with every VGT.

Imagine if we also get these cars (each corresponding with one VGT):
Mercedes AMG GT
BMW i8
Mitsubishi Evo X FQ-400
VW Golf GTI Mk 7
Nissan Juke-R
Aston Martin Vanquish
Toyota Supra Premium
Subaru Impreza WRX STI (4th gen)
Chaparral 2E
Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge
Mazda Furai Premium
Mini John Cooper Works
Alpine A110-50
Lexus RC-F
Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak
SRT Challenger Hellcat

That would make the car list a lot better wouldn't it?

My only consolation is that PD doesn't charge anything for the cars so far, and everything they have made in the background will be included in GT7 from release. Unlike other games where you buy extra cars as DLC, only for those cars to be included in the next game again, effectively making you pay for them twice.

The only similarities between VGT cars & real cars are that they're concept cars that showcase unique design cues to the manufacturers. Real world cars don't start out with concepts that mimic the capabilities exaggerated in the Tomahawk & Chaparral.

That's my issue with the argument, "Real world manufacturers are involved". To what degree? Because looking through all the VGT cars, there's no consistency with that "involvement". Some manufacturers like Dodge created fantasy cars & some like Lexus & Toyota simply took a current real world concept and built a race car out of it. PD's been doing that for years.

I see that there is mixed feelings about the VGT concept, I don't think the VGT concept is stupid at all but it could be perfected as long as it doesn't reduce the focus on real life cars. As I stated a couple pages ago, I would trade any VGT twice to get a real life race car in GT.

As someone has said, I think people would hate the VGTs less if PD had bundled 1 real life car from the same manufacturer with every VGT.

Imagine if we also get these cars (each corresponding with one VGT):
Mercedes AMG GT
BMW i8
Mitsubishi Evo X FQ-400
VW Golf GTI Mk 7
Nissan Juke-R
Aston Martin Vanquish
Toyota Supra Premium
Subaru Impreza WRX STI (4th gen)
Chaparral 2E
Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge
Mazda Furai Premium
Mini John Cooper Works
Alpine A110-50
Lexus RC-F
Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak
SRT Challenger Hellcat

That would make the car list a lot better wouldn't it?

My only consolation is that PD doesn't charge anything for the cars so far, and everything they have made in the background will be included in GT7 from release. Unlike other games where you buy extra cars as DLC, only for those cars to be included in the next game again, effectively making you pay for them twice.
I honeslty think that the Lexus, the Toyota, BMW VGT wouldn't have had to come along with a real life car if they had an interior view as they're basically real life race cars spec and that would've been really awesome to get some new race cars even if they're not real.

Last edited:
That's my issue with the argument, "Real world manufacturers are involved". To what degree? Because looking through all the VGT cars, there's no consistency with that "involvement". Some manufacturers like Dodge created fantasy cars & some like Lexus & Toyota simply took a current real world concept and built a race car out of it. PD's been doing that for years.

Involvement is measured by proximity of a design to contemporary technology/products?
A standardization of entries for "consistency"?
Vision GT from its announcement was never about Polyphony determining what manufacturers should do with guidelines and such. I guess they probably said "Can you make it with more than two wheels touching the ground and if possible a driver?" but not anything beyond that.

I'd think this shows involvement:
https://www.gtplanet.net/what-is-th...srts-mike-shinedling-explains-the-tomahawk-x/

This too, in a different manner of course:
http://flatoutcombr.c.presscdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/alpine-vision-gt-10-16.jpg

And by the designers' credits, it wasn't "interns" or "B offices" involved either, so there's another kind of involvement in that too. Just watch all the videos again and you'll see "to what degree".

I find VGT's offensive myself. I will never understand why anybody would actually prefer this kind of made up fantasy rubbish in a game with the "Real Driving Simulator" written on the box to real licenced cars.

I wonder how many standards they could have upgraded to full premium status instead of making VGT's.
well at one point every single car was a 'meaningless concept car that probably would never see production'

I think we're are fooling ourselves by assuming that VGTs provide glimpses into the automotive future. That's what real concept cars are for, and history has proven that even these, more often than not, have been the results of somewhat far-fetched experimentation with now obsolete design languages. VGTs have given manufacturers an opportunity to design something that isn't required to take physical form nor occupy space at big motor shows. Eventually, VGTs can be distributed digitally to millions of people without any financial hassles beyond the promotional video accompanying every VGT car. It all looks, sounds, and appears so sophisticated, but I honestly don't believe it's anything more than spiced up marketing talk backed by little solid proof that the simulated content actually could be achieved within the foreseeable future. Of course, some VGTs are more believable than others and few do actually exist physically, but so do all the drivable cars from the past and present which Polyphony Digital has had no good reasons to overlook. Any big company can present idealistic visions, and it saddens me that Gran Turismo gradually has transitioned into a reputable channel for such measures.

Meh, I agree with you for the most part, but the Chaparral and the Tomahawk are absolutely fantasy rubbish. Most of the rest of the cars are near enough to physical reality that they could be legitimate prototypes, but those two are just so far beyond reality that they end up detracting from the air of authenticity and realism that the game has built for itself.

The VGT project is fine, but some of the car designs and choices have been iffy for a game of Gran Turismo's type.

Involvement is measured by proximity of a design to contemporary technology/products?
A standardization of entries for "consistency"?
Vision GT from its announcement was never about Polyphony determining what manufacturers should do with guidelines and such. I guess they probably said "Can you make it with more than two wheels touching the ground and if possible a driver?" but not anything beyond that.
And there in lies the reason why it has the feedback it does.

You can post all the videos you want & try to question what defines involvement. At the end of the day, some manufacturers took the idea & ran off into the sunset with it and some just took an existing concept & modified it. The post by @super_gt seems to provide a nice bit of evidence that Dodge just got silly with the idea where as others like BMW actually created something very close to a real concept.
bmw-vision-gran-turismo-virtual-race-car-for-gran-turismo-6_100466873_l.jpg

CSL-2.jpg

Personally I'm all for realism, It is billed as the "Real driving Simulator" afterall, Now don't get me wrong concept cars can be cool, Alot in real life with alterations have become real production vehicles.

What I don't agree with is the wasted time and resources that have been spent putting bloody space ships and flights of fancy in the game in which they do not belong, Not only that but interiors or lack there of, If your going to do a job do it properly or not at all is all I have to say on that.

Just my 2cents on the whole VGT crap.

Meh, I agree with you for the most part, but the Chaparral and the Tomahawk are absolutely fantasy rubbish. Most of the rest of the cars are near enough to physical reality that they could be legitimate prototypes, but those two are just so far beyond reality that they end up detracting from the air of authenticity and realism that the game has built for itself.

The VGT project is fine, but some of the car designs and choices have been iffy for a game of Gran Turismo's type.

I agree. If Manufacturers stick to making VGT's how Mercedes, Aston Martin, Toyota and Nissan did, I definitely would not have a problem. REALISTIC VGT's is what I love driving. To be honest, Chaparral and SRT are the only two manufacturers that really went over and beyond with their car(s). Everybody else pretty much stuck with the script and made a GT vehicle. Mazda kiiiind of pushed the boundaries but they still stayed inside the realistic aspect by not making the car hit 0-60 in .2 seconds.

There were 40+ car modellers between chief/assistants in GT6. If we take the old quote from before GT5 where "1 modeller for 1 car = 6 months" and we round down on the assumption here meaning that 1 chief with their team takes 6 months in a car, we'd have 12 cars finished each 6 month intervals.
And lets pretend that they started working on new cars/VGTs only after GT6 released, that's three 6 'complete months cycles'. 36 cars could have been added by now.

VGTs (counting variants as separate) count up to 21 models. That leaves 15 "real cars" for them to have possibly added. Which I think is the amount added.

We know PD has been expanding, was this ever confirmed to be PD's crew? Been more than 6 months... , and GT7 works started not long after 6's release (no citation here but PS4 was already release, Kaz/Sony heads relation, Gran Turismo brand), it is more than a fair assumption, it is a sound inference that their staff has been working on assets that will be available on the next game, and that includes cars. Real cars.

How does that work again?
[citation required]

I'm kidding, that doesn't match what I've seen but I can't offer evidence either.

Better take 100+ pictures of lobbies as sampling and crunch that data or else you'll never live by your comprehensible hyperbolic anecdote understood as a true proposition, losing this argument.
Your math is off. PD averaged around 40 unique premiums per year through the development cycle of GT5 until the release of GT7. They've since added modelers, so assuming it's still 6 months/car they should be nearing 50+ per year by now. That's around 70-80 since the launch of GT6.

How many brand new modeled cars appeared in GT6 that were not in GT5? Does anybody know the exact number? I'm talking about cars that were in GT6 at the launch date. It was 3 years and 1 month in between GT5 and GT6 releases. I'm curious as to how many cars PD was able to create after the launch of GT5 and didn't appear as DLC for GT5.

How many brand new modeled cars appeared in GT6 that were not in GT5? Does anybody know the exact number? I'm talking about cars that were in GT6 at the launch date. It was 3 years and 1 month in between GT5 and GT6 releases. I'm curious as to how many cars PD was able to create after the launch of GT5 and didn't appear as DLC for GT5.
Going by the official car list from PD's website, it looks like the "cars new to GT6, but not added through an update", which is cars available at the time of release was 130. That's counting any duplicates as well.

40 more have been added post-release, so far. Again, duplicates included.

They aren't made up out of thin air. SMS formula cars duplicate actual, existing, real world specs, performance and car attributes and abilities. They are identical to their track based counterpart, all they lack is the official licenses and liveries.

Does the Formula A in pCars replicate specs from the current Mercedes F1 car, Redbull F1 car, or perhaps a current Lotus F1 car?

And what about the actual made up cars in pCars? There was two of them last time I checked...

Thanks @GTPorsche! So it looks like they stayed on ~40-45 cars per year run after GT5. I hope they are able to maintain that kind of pace, considering the Vision Gran Turismo project. Still, even if they were only able to produce ~30 new cars each year, for three years (assuming a December 2016 release), that's 90 new cars. I think that would be pretty awesome.

I've definitely done my fair share of complaining about VGT here on GTP. At the same time, I understand that several thousands of people do love the project, so I just have to deal with it. There are other things I don't think PD should waste their time on modeling for GT7, like WW2-era jeeps with 25hp...but I'm absolutely certain there are many, many people who think it's so cool that we have a 1942 Schwimmwagen in the game to do nothing with.

I think we're are fooling ourselves by assuming that VGTs provide glimpses into the automotive future. That's what real concept cars are for, and history has proven that even these, more often than not, have been the results of somewhat far-fetched experimentation with now obsolete design languages. VGTs have given manufacturers an opportunity to design something that isn't required to take physical form nor occupy space at big motor shows. Eventually, VGTs can be distributed digitally to millions of people without any financial hassles beyond the promotional video accompanying every VGT car. It all looks, sounds, and appears so sophisticated, but I honestly don't believe it's anything more than spiced up marketing talk backed by little solid proof that the simulated content actually could be achieved within the foreseeable future. Of course, some VGTs are more believable than others and few do actually exist physically, but so do all the drivable cars from the past and present which Polyphony Digital has had no good reasons to overlook. Any big company can present idealistic visions, and it saddens me that Gran Turismo gradually has transitioned into a reputable channel for such measures.

Futurism is old news, but I largely agree, the future will be made by those present there. That's history. They are real concept cars too though.

I think more VGTs than not have been exhibited in salons and events, so they are not saving money on that. Hell, one even made to the Goodwood statue.
And most have been campaigned while concept cars hardly get any campaigns other than appearing in a show, so they are not saving money there either, probably spending more than usual.

And there in lies the reason why it has the feedback it does.

You can post all the videos you want & try to question what defines involvement. At the end of the day, some manufacturers took the idea & ran off into the sunset with it and some just took an existing concept & modified it. The post by @super_gt seems to provide a nice bit of evidence that Dodge just got silly with the idea where as others like BMW actually created something very close to a real concept.

I wasn't defining involvement, I was questioning how do you measure it.
But it's true, some will go wild, some won't. Super_gt's post offers no evidence, a pivoted joint wing that can sustain 600-700km/h winds is not alien or dream tech, it wouldn't fly off, when its area is the largest (braking), the force is applied towards the shaft. Happy for you (and PD programmers) though that BMW didn't pull another GINA (and there were no videogames there).

Your math is off. PD averaged around 40 unique premiums per year through the development cycle of GT5 until the release of GT7. They've since added modelers, so assuming it's still 6 months/car they should be nearing 50+ per year by now. That's around 70-80 since the launch of GT6.

My math isn't off, I purposefully reduced their available staff number and time frame to show what it would take for them to have modelled nothing but GT6's cars added post-release.
Your post furthers my point though, thank you.

I don't think PD should waste their time on modeling for GT7, like WW2-era jeeps with 25hp...but I'm absolutely certain there are many, many people who think it's so cool that we have a 1942 Schwimmwagen in the game to do nothing with.

Well, you can drive it!

Last edited:
Super_gt's post offers no evidence, a pivoted joint wing that can sustain 600-700km/h winds is not alien or dream tech, it wouldn't fly off, when its area is the largest (braking), the force is applied towards the shaft.
You mean like this:

images.jpg
P_yamanashi_aerodynamic_brake.gif

Special Stage Route X.jpg

Special Stage Route X_1.jpg

:rolleyes:
Completely different design between real air brakes and SRT air brakes.
The real air brakes are attached to the body in the bottom.

Last edited:
Back