T150, T150 Pro, G29 or stay with controller

• Thread starter Povilas
  • 96 comments
oddly i raced on iracing for years using a wheel but lost interest because i got fed up with having to get the wheel/pedals out each time so lost interest in it ( i didn't have space to keep them out on a permanent basis )

GT sport i like because the motion control is so good you can pick up and race with very little effort. The job they have done with the motion control is very good.

T300 or a G29. With the reliability issues Thrustmaster has (my T500 includes), I would go with the G29. If you have a bigger budget, go with Fanatec.

Seems you got bit by the bug. I suspect you’re already looking into higher end gear with alcantara grips, loadcell brake pedals etc.

Lol I definitely got the bug. I have been looking at brake mods. First tho, I need a rig. Highly considering the playseat challenge, since I need something I can put away after each use.

Lol I definitely got the bug. I have been looking at brake mods. First tho, I need a rig. Highly considering the playseat challenge, since I need something I can put away after each use.
I had the 3drap mod (console version). Inexpensive and felt quite good. But it will make the brake pedal stiff. So you definitely have to have it hardmounted or against a wall. I have the playseat challenge. And for me it is the perfect solution. Folded it hardly takes any room. And only takes about 1-2 minutes every time.

I had the 3drap mod (console version). Inexpensive and felt quite good. But it will make the brake pedal stiff. So you definitely have to have it hardmounted or against a wall. I have the playseat challenge. And for me it is the perfect solution. Folded it hardly takes any room. And only takes about 1-2 minutes every time.

I was wondering how long it took to set up and take down, thanks for that. It certainly seems to be the best option for me. I'm using a small table now and it's terrible in esses and chicanes, moves side to side on me. Hoping I can order the playseat within the next few days.

Hey guys

Quick and short question which wheel to get or is it even worth it or just stay with DS4.

My preference would be T150 Pro or standard one as G29 is more expensive but probably have advantages.

Once you get used to the wheel, taking a DS4 even for changing settings seems weird now to me, theres really no point of comparation.

Even if someones can say theyre faster with a PAD at the the first days (it was the case for me) your range of progression is much higher with a wheel, you get to understand the car, the lines and the grip. And the end the practice will make it all.

What a would like to remind you on top of everything is that this is a very good investment if you like and enjoy driving, racing, and you are going to have time to play and enjoy,
if not is maybe not the best idea,

Remember that youd also need to set up a playing space.

Hope it helps.

You should drive with the controller instead of the wheel. You get more precise degrees. The wheel's friction will make the degrees skip around

??? Please elaborate! A modern wheel has 16 bit resolution, that is 16,536 steps. How is that less precise?

Coming from a casual driver, the gamepad allows you to turn with no friction while holding it in the air. The wheel doesn't accurately model the real friction in a real car (because each car is different in real life). For example, if the car is sitting still, the wheel should be hard to turn compared to speeding down the road. Similarly, if you turn the wheel 90 degrees, the tires will turn different degree for different cars. If the wheel doesn't account for that what is the point of the wheel? Just use any turning thing (including a gamepad using motion control). So if you are just going for accuracy of degrees turning in the air is more accurate than turning with the wheel.

For what it's worth, the G29 would have to be quite a bit cheaper in order for me to choose it over the T150 T3PA Pro combo.

T150 is much, much smoother than the G29. Runs quieter and cooler, and provides, in my opinion, better more informative FFB. I owned a G29, and played it on both Assetto Corsa and Project Cars (First one) on the PS4. Was not impressed with it. Obviously never got to use it in GT Sport but I doubt that would change my opinion. Sold the G29 and used the money to go toward the T150/T3PA Pro setup. Very pleased with the decision. I've owned the T150 for about a year and a half now and it's been rock solid reliable. G29 pedals are really good, but the T3PA Pro pedals are a notch above. They are rock solid and all the pedals have a great feel. The conical brake mod is great too (not for GT Sport though, long story).

Paid $299 for the G29 setup vs. $350 (at the time) for the T150/T3PA Pro setup for reference.
I wouldn't trade setups regardless, but if pressed, the G29 setup would have to be at least $100 to $150 cheaper for me to even consider it, and honestly I wouldn't even go back to it for that much of a cost savings.

Last edited:
I used pad (DS2, DS3, DS4) a long time. I used only Pad until now. I always thought that I would never have a steering wheel. And then on the advice of my friends on this forum I am tempted. I bought a G29 last week and frankly I'm not disappointed. It is a steering wheel with a beautiful design and easy to use. The grip was easy and the settings too. Even if I prefer the new buy (348 €) to have a guarantee, I do not regret my purchase at all. Even if I do my tunes with the DS4 the feeling of driving with a G29 is really great.

Playseat Challenge is my favourite thing I've bought this year. Using G29 and very happy with it in GT Sport.

Coming from a casual driver, the gamepad allows you to turn with no friction while holding it in the air. The wheel doesn't accurately model the real friction in a real car (because each car is different in real life). For example, if the car is sitting still, the wheel should be hard to turn compared to speeding down the road. Similarly, if you turn the wheel 90 degrees, the tires will turn different degree for different cars. If the wheel doesn't account for that what is the point of the wheel? Just use any turning thing (including a gamepad using motion control). So if you are just going for accuracy of degrees turning in the air is more accurate than turning with the wheel.
Oh ok I didn’t understood what you meant with friction. Have you had experience with a wheel? Because my wheel does give friction/dampening, sitting still or speeding. It tries to simulate the wheels behavior as accurate as possible. The game automatically changes the degrees of motion for each car if necessary. A wheel is always more accurate because of its larger circumference and high resolution.

Last edited:
Didn't even bother to read the rest of the thread, just wanted to say.

1. Yes buy a wheel. Even if it does not improve your times(which I think it will), playing with a wheel just makes this game so much more fun and immersive than a ds4.

2. Buy the best wheel you can comfortably afford. You will enjoy it more no mater what wheel you get, but the better the wheel, the better the wheel construction, the better the ffb and the better the pedals.

Have fun with whatever wheel you decide on!!

The is the best 10$ brake mod you will find.

Glad to hear that. I ordered mine last night. Hopefully it won't take too long to get here. I'm really looking forward to using it
Remember you can adjust the wheel plate forward and back by unscrewing the clamps. First use the clamps to see if the distance to your body is correct in the preferred seating position. It wasn’t written in my manual at the time. I’m 172 cm tall and had to adjust it toward the seat to drive comfortably. Also be careful with the Velcro that holds the pedal plate when folded. Mine broke after 7 months.

Remember you can adjust the wheel plate forward and back by unscrewing the clamps. First use the clamps to see if the distance to your body is correct in the preferred seating position. It wasn’t written in my manual at the time. I’m 172 cm tall and had to adjust it toward the seat to drive comfortably. Also be careful with the Velcro that holds the pedal plate when folded. Mine broke after 7 months.

Didn't know that. Maybe will try to move my wheel a bit closer.
I had a lot of spare velcros in the pack. However never folded my seat yet, since GTS released.

Also... I've been thinking today about attaching spinner suicide knob on G29. Anyone tried something like this?

By the way, there are some mods for G29 shifter. Few pieces of plastic could make it more similar to real one. Also you can change the knob to real one.

Last edited:
Actually it does.
The best tech avaliable is actually the "direct driven" wheels (not avaliable for consoles) that give the best FFB.
Belt driven is older tech that "direct driven" thus not as good FFB but better than even older tech (gear driven).

Isn't the T-GT direct drive?

I've been back and forth about wheels for the past month as well. Unfortunately missed the Black Friday sales for them, just didn't have the money to spend. At the time I saw, the G29 was $199.99 and the standard T150 was $149.99. I think I saw the Pro for $219.99. I lean more towards the G29 as I've heard lots of good opinions on them.

I agree with @Tired Tyres on older tech not being worse. And the fact that the T150 is just a hybrid system of gears and belts, rather than fully belt driven, it doesn't really jump out to me as a big enough improvement over the tried and true G29, not when the quality of materials on the G29 surpass the T150 in nearly every way. If the G29 comes back down to $200 soon I'll probably bite the bullet.

Didn't know that. Maybe will try to move my wheel a bit closer.
I had a lot of spare velcros in the pack. However never folded my seat yet, since GTS released.

Also... I've been thinking today about attaching spinner suicide knob on G29. Anyone tried something like this?

By the way, there are some mods for G29 shifter. Few pieces of plastic could make it more similar to real one. Also you can change the knob to real one.
Spinner suicide what??? I googled it but that is one badass name for it. How would it benefit?

I modded my shifter also with 3drap mod to make it stiffer. In hindsight if you are getting this mod I recommend the carbon one for longevity. Also had 2 aluminum knobs from ebay. Those come with spacers that fit perfectly on the shifter shaft. Sadly they are too big for the th8a I have know.

I've been back and forth about wheels for the past month as well. Unfortunately missed the Black Friday sales for them, just didn't have the money to spend. At the time I saw, the G29 was $199.99 and the standard T150 was $149.99. I think I saw the Pro for $219.99. I lean more towards the G29 as I've heard lots of good opinions on them.

I agree with @Tired Tyres on older tech not being worse. And the fact that the T150 is just a hybrid system of gears and belts, rather than fully belt driven, it doesn't really jump out to me as a big enough improvement over the tried and true G29, not when the quality of materials on the G29 surpass the T150 in nearly every way. If the G29 comes back down to $200 soon I'll probably bite the bullet.

No the T-GT is belt drive. Fanatec is going to bring out the first “commercial” wheel to the market.

G29 over T150 any day.

Hi, someone with the T150 can do me the big favour to try how is the ffb set to 1/1 with the new gt sport patch?
Tank you very much

Coming from a casual driver, the gamepad allows you to turn with no friction while holding it in the air. The wheel doesn't accurately model the real friction in a real car (because each car is different in real life). For example, if the car is sitting still, the wheel should be hard to turn compared to speeding down the road.
Are you for real? It does do that. Maybe you should try something before spreading wrong assumptions.

Stick with a controller if you are only planning to run GTSport. IMO the game runs very smooth with a controller and the difference between a $200 wheel and a $60 controller is negligible.

Thanks for all of the info. I'm 6 foot (182 cm? ), I'm sure I will be adjusting things quite a bit. I am anxiously awaiting for my playseat to arrive. I'm getting faster ( got my 1st podium (3rd) with the wheel today) and more comfortable, my little table is driving me crazy tho.

Thanks for all of the info. I'm 6 foot (182 cm? ), I'm sure I will be adjusting things quite a bit. I am anxiously awaiting for my playseat to arrive. I'm getting faster ( got my 1st podium (3rd) with the wheel today) and more comfortable, my little table is driving me crazy tho.
For people with no room for a permanent rig. Its the perfect solution! There is a mod you can do eliminate wheeldeck flex by member @Dabinn (read the discription with links in the YouTube video) :

No console wheel is a direct drive.The "newest" tech in consoles wheels is the "belt driven" wheels -TM and FANATEC- (If I am not mistaken its close to 10 years tech already).

The TM wheels give a "smoother" FFB because of the belt.Thats better compared to the G29.
With that said Logitech overall built is (imo) better than TM.I said that already.G29 its just a rebranded G27 in reality.Can be both good or bad since you know what you are getting.
T150 would propably have less % of problems compared to T300 (especially with the history of T300).But either way in case of G29 vs T150 PRO (not the one with the 2-pedal set) its a case of better build/durability vs better tech.
I too have the G29,did find it in a great price over a year ago and I took it for my PS4 games.Pc is another thing ;)

Back