T150, T150 Pro, G29 or stay with controller

• Thread starter Povilas
  • 96 comments
Is it worth it to get a wheel? Depends on what you are looking to get out of it. Let me share my experience...

I was in the same boat, didnt know if I should switch to a wheel. Certainly didnt know which wheel to buy. I was racing with the top guys in the Americas, usually starting in the top 10. But.... something was missing.

So, I set out to get a wheel. I ended up with the G29, my wife got it for 50% off. I've had it for 3 days. The wheel does everything I want and more, I'm very pleased with it.

So far, I've been able to qualify as fast or faster than before. I'm still getting used to the wheel, obviously.

The first day was a disaster. I could qualify with the fast guys but kept screwing up in race. 2nd day I was much faster and smoother, finishing top 10 most races. 3rd day I was qualifying faster than with a DS4. Race wise, it took me about 3 races to get comfortable and I was running in the top 5 some after that.

So... did it make me faster? Seems like it so far.
Am I having more fun?
Heck yeah I am!
Do I recommend everyone trying a wheel?
Yep, sure do!

Good luck in your journey. I don't think you will be upset with any wheel. Just my 2 cents :D
This is encouraging. I finally set up my T150 pro and GT Omega stand last night. I got a couple hours in running qualifying at Suzuka. Holy crap was I slow! By the time I put it away I was able to get a couple laps that were within .5 of my best DS4 time but not consistently. I think the biggest adjustment is using my left foot for braking. Going to take some time to get fast again.

Edit: I think I need to get a chair more suited to driving. I found it difficult to get everything situated so that the wheel position and the pedals were both comfortable. The oversized recliner is not cutting it.

This is encouraging. I finally set up my T150 pro and GT Omega stand last night. I got a couple hours in running qualifying at Suzuka. Holy crap was I slow! By the time I put it away I was able to get a couple laps that were within .5 of my best DS4 time but not consistently. I think the biggest adjustment is using my left foot for braking. Going to take some time to get fast again.

Edit: I think I need to get a chair more suited to driving. I found it difficult to get everything situated so that the wheel position and the pedals were both comfortable. The oversized recliner is not cutting it.
I always recommend the playseat challenge. The best budget or small space solution. You can always get at least 80% of your perfect seating position.

I always recommend the playseat challenge. The best budget or small space solution. You can always get at least 80% of your perfect seating position.

As much as I would like one. It’s not an option in my house. Would take up too much space. I’m going to get a decent racing style office chair to go with the Omega stand I already have. The stand and wheel setup folds down and is hidden easily.

As much as I would like one. It’s not an option in my house. Would take up too much space. I’m going to get a decent racing style office chair to go with the Omega stand I already have. The stand and wheel setup folds down and is hidden easily.
The challenge does not take anymore space then an office chair... the wheel, pedals, the seat and the wheel can be folded away.
Random photos from internet:
40F72D96-3EB4-4B9E-870B-19A2B70642F6.jpeg
F51F31D6-FF47-48AC-81C3-C514F722F42F.jpeg

I have the same issue currently with my recliner. Luckily my playseat challenge is on its way.

Just take it day by day. Don't get discouraged. My first day was a disaster. Even once you get the speed you want, that first race will be rough. I've used my wheel a total of 7 days now. Yesterday, I was 1 sec slower than 10th on leaderboard. I can truly say that I am a full second faster with the wheel. Just be patient with it. Don't be afraid to push it too hard in practice so you can find the limits.

Something to try... set your FFB settings low for awhile. It helped me a lot.

Obviously I have a different wheel, but mine is set at...

FFB Torque- 4
FFB Sensitivity-6

I have the same issue currently with my recliner. Luckily my playseat challenge is on its way.

Just take it day by day. Don't get discouraged. My first day was a disaster. Even once you get the speed you want, that first race will be rough. I've used my wheel a total of 7 days now. Yesterday, I was 1 sec slower than 10th on leaderboard. I can truly say that I am a full second faster with the wheel. Just be patient with it. Don't be afraid to push it too hard in practice so you can find the limits.

Something to try... set your FFB settings low for awhile. It helped me a lot.

Obviously I have a different wheel, but mine is set at...

FFB Torque- 4
FFB Sensitivity-6
I’ll check my settings. What do you use for Steering/Controller Sensitivity? On the DS4 I was at 0. I started there on the wheel but feel like I will end up on the other end of the spectrum.

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum here so please forgive me if this was already discussed in a different thread.

I consider myself to be pretty much a novice driver of I do say so myself. Even though I've been driving Gran Turismo since it's 1st installation on the PS1. Anyway, as a result of reading all the excellent advice on this forum I've decided to go with the T150 pro set up with the T3PA pedals. Since this will be my 1st wheel with ffb is it a good enough wheel for an entry level player? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Qyn
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum here so please forgive me if this was already discussed in a different thread.

I consider myself to be pretty much a novice driver of I do say so myself. Even though I've been driving Gran Turismo since it's 1st installation on the PS1. Anyway, as a result of reading all the excellent advice on this forum I've decided to go with the T150 pro set up with the T3PA pedals. Since this will be my 1st wheel with ffb is it a good enough wheel for an entry level player? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Absolutely, a lot of people recommend the T150 for a first wheel. Keep in mind that it will take a little bit to get used to a wheel. Make sure you find a sturdy mounting surface. Just be patient with it. Your 1st day may be good, 2nd may be bad. It is a learning curve. It pays off in the end tho and is so much more fun!

Go Dawgs!!

Absolutely, a lot of people recommend the T150 for a first wheel. Keep in mind that it will take a little bit to get used to a wheel. Make sure you find a sturdy mounting surface. Just be patient with it. Your 1st day may be good, 2nd may be bad. It is a learning curve. It pays off in the end tho and is so much more fun!

Go Dawgs!!

Thanks BigDawg!

I asked my wife to check out which kind of wheels she saw while she was out shopping today. I just wanted to price check so we don't break the bank. And wouldn't you know it, bless her heart, she came back home with a T80? :lol:

HOW 'BOUT THEM DAWGS!!!

Qyn
Thanks BigDawg!

I asked my wife to check out which kind of wheels she saw while she was out shopping today. I just wanted to price check so we don't break the bank. And wouldn't you know it, bless her heart, she came back home with a T80? :lol:

HOW 'BOUT THEM DAWGS!!!

That sounds like something my wife would do. They mean well, hate to tell them it's the wrong one. I learned to send screen shots to mine.

Best bang for a buck is go buy your self a used g25 or g27 wheel and a cronusmax plus and call it a day. I have my g25 still works like new and feel good in gtsport

FTFY

AFAIK you don't get FFB with CronusMax Plus do you?
Yes, you do get FFB. The latest firmware for CronusMax Plus has a feature call PS4 wheel edition mode.

Can the drive hub take script to fix issues or remap buttons?

Qyn
Hi all,

Don't expect to be able to match your pad times straight away. It takes time and practice before it comes together. Try some low power rear wheel drive cars and do many laps and you'll get used to it.

Yes, you do get FFB. The latest firmware for CronusMax Plus has a feature call PS4 wheel edition mode.

Can the drive hub take script to fix issues or remap buttons?
It's a straight plug in device, it sees my TMX as a T150 (says 458 Italia) on the PS4 and it can be configured in any way as if it was the native wheel.

It's a straight plug in device, it sees my TMX as a T150 (says 458 Italia) on the PS4 and it can be configured in any way as if it was the native wheel.

Right, I just wonder if it's user programmable like the CronusMax Plus is or if your are stuck with what it is until a firmware update.

I went with CronusMax Plus because it has many more uses than just a wheel adapter, and I can even run script to fine tune pedal dead zones. Example: The brake on the G27 in GT Sport was fully actuated at only 60% of it's full travel. We wrote a script to fix this to give the pedal 100% usage. Would that be possible on the drive hub?

Don't expect to be able to match your pad times straight away. It takes time and practice before it comes together. Try some low power rear wheel drive cars and do many laps and you'll get used to it.

Thanks Tired Tyres. I've noticed many people post that they were WAY slower after switching to the wheel. My T150 Pro set up should be here sometime this week, and I can't wait to really open the full potential of the racing experience. Thanks again for the feedback.

I dusted off my trusted G27, that’s been unused for 5 years now. I learned that it’s not compatible with PS4, but that there is an adapter called Cronus Max. Well, upon trying to get one via Amazon, turns out there are many different versions like “plus”, “2015”, and whatnot.
Advice on which one to get much appreciated! Cheers

I dusted off my trusted G27, that’s been unused for 5 years now. I learned that it’s not compatible with PS4, but that there is an adapter called Cronus Max. Well, upon trying to get one via Amazon, turns out there are many different versions like “plus”, “2015”, and whatnot.
Advice on which one to get much appreciated! Cheers

Get the newest version direct from CronusMax. Order it with thier USB hub.

https://shop.cronusmax.com/cronusmax-plus.html

If you go this route, I can help with set-up and the script you will need.

They also have what's called the drive hub. Similar to the CronusMax, but it's only for race wheels. The CronusMax max has other uses. Read up on it.

Just received my T150 this morning. I havent set it up yet and i can't wait to get home from work today. This is my first wheel and I'm really excited. Any tips for a Wheel novice?

Just received my T150 this morning. I havent set it up yet and i can't wait to get home from work today. This is my first wheel and I'm really excited. Any tips for a Wheel novice?

Don't set your expectations too high - I mean you would definitely suck at the beginning compared to your controller times - but don't worry you will get used to it over time and become far more consistent. At least that was the scenario with me - I was surprised how bad I was at the beginning with the wheel, even though I drive manual in real life for almost 10 years. I have my wheel for ~ 2 weeks and I'm starting getting used to it - I was able to hit 10 consecutive laps on Interlagos with 2-4 tenths difference - something I wasn't able to achieve with a controller.

I'm gonna see if I can give you and others some tips that will hopefully help. Some may or may not be wheel related but possibly things that you aren't doing that could make you faster.

First off, let me tell you a few things about me. I have been involved in racing off and on most of my life. My grandfather and dad raced in SCCA. I also worked IMSA races some, corner worker and pit marshal. I also crewed some for my cousin who raced late models. I attended 3 different performance driving schools between the ages of 14 and 17. I never got the chance to race myself though. I have been playing racing games for 30 years however. I just switched to a wheel 2 weeks ago. I am ranked DR B / SR S. My B line is full. I usually can qualify within 1 sec of the top 10 in NA. So, I'm not the fastest... nor the slowest.

My tips...
  1. Make sure your wheel is mounted to a sturdy surface.
  2. Make sure you are close enough to your wheel. Ideally you want to have your back against your seat and can rest your left wrist on the top of your wheel. Your shoulder should still touch the back of your seat.
  3. Your pedals should be close enough that your knees are bent.
  4. Make all inputs smoothly. Do not saw the wheel (move it back and forth) this will only upset the car and slow you down.
  5. Turn in earlier than you did using a DS4. It takes longer to turn a wheel than it does to move the left stick.
  6. Learn to Trail Brake. The easiest way I can describe this is... It's the opposite of how you accelerate out of a turn. You brake hard in a straight line. Turn in and gradually release the brake as you approach the apex.
  7. Be patient and Practice! Find a track and car that you know well. Run laps until you feel comfortable, then run some more.
  8. When in a race, don't focus on the car in front of you. Look past them so you know what is going on ahead.
  9. Stay calm and breath. Don't hold the wheel with a death grip.
  10. Don't give up. It's going to be tough sometimes. Some races will be a disaster.
  11. Take a break after a race. Don't just jump in the next one.
  12. Have Fun! That's why we do this!
I hope this helps some drivers. Good luck!

I've been getting into top 5 more often lately during races and I end up getting nervous thinking I won't be able to keep up with the fast drivers, need to think of a way to keep myself calm.

I know what you mean. It's hard sometimes. I've started telling myself "loosin up your grip" "smooth in smooth out". Things to keep my mind off of what place I'm in. In reality, you know you can run with them. It's just hard not to get nervous and lose concentration.

Edit: Also, when you hit a long straight. Kinda loosin up your shoulders. Take a hand off and open and close your hand. Things to help you relax.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm going to work on them.

@BSDShoes I'm the same. Dunno about you but before every race I get really nervous and my pulse actually quickens and I can feel my heart pumping harder along with that feeling in the pit of my stomach. Of course once it starts I've calmed down by the first corner.

before every race I get really nervous and my pulse actually quickens and I can feel my heart pumping harder along with that feeling in the pit of my stomach. Of course once it starts I've calmed down by the first corner.

That's that adrenalin pumping. The best racers in the world do that. That's why you see them in their car staring forward before a race.

Back