T500 RS - 1.09 Update (Discussion)

• Thread starter Kaelsberg
  • 227 comments
You don't feel that on turning, you feel that when the wheel its almost centering, but its on every car, course you will notice more on race cars, cause the wheel its heavy on race cars.
That's why people are complain about the rumble in straights, instead of giving us less dead zone, they put the centering spring.
That's what i feel, but i need more testing, i didn't have to much time to do proper testing.
I remember this feeling in old games, when i have my first wheel Microsoft FF Side Winder

I felt more centering force before this patch.

I understand what you mean, but before wasn't centering spring, it was FF behavior, now you have centering spring when start turning and at the end of turning, for people that use a lot of counter steer it will be worse.

Edit: and you think you have more, cause the strength of the FF its now more noticeable

Ok, I finally got some time to spend on T500 so....

1) I went back to GT5 to run some cars on Le Mans 2009 that always reminded me...
...that some of my teeth have fillings when transiting the Mulsanne straight sections.

2) Then I ran the same cars in GT6 v1.09 on Le Mans' 2009 and 2013 Mulsanne straight sections.

3) And finally, I ran the Toyota TS030 LMP in the Seasonal, Test Drive and Single Player modes in GT6 v.1.09.

T500 settings for GT5 - no power assist steering, FFB 6.
(Same settings I used for 1 year in GT5 with T500)

T500 settings for GT6 - no power assist steering, FFB 4.
(Same settings I use for most GT6 cars except FF and some 4WD)

Rims: 458GTE, F1, (didn't use GT because static paddles are removed from my T500).
V.5 T500 RS running V.41 firmware, hard mounted to a very rigid 80/20 rig.
All cars used in GT5/GT6 were run bone stock, no driving aids, 0 ABS.

So, here is what I found;

1) Of the 4 cars I took for a spin in GT5/GT6, X2010, FGT, Mazda 787B, and Ferrari 330P4 '67...
...only the X2010 in GT5 produced any chatter close to what some cars produce on Mulsanne post GT6 v1.09.

2) In GT6, the X2010 becomes a beast once 7G is hit on Mulsanne straight sections (2009/2013)...
...even more cantankerous then the Toyota TS030.

The FGT, 787B, and 330P4 rock n' roll effects in GT6 V.1.09 seem as mild as GT5's on Mulsanne.

3) Wheel's chatter box behavior on Mulsanne straight sections (2009/2014) seems the same...
...on Seasonal TT, Garage Test Drive, and Single Player with TS030, did not test it online.

Conclusions:

As many of you remember, a short while ago there was a final seasonal event in GT5.
At the time, I remember how lifeless and monotone the wheel feedback seemed compared to GT6.

So my feeling now (yours may differ) is that FFB effect like Mulsanne straight is very exaggerated now.
Out of proportion with the wheel's rotational feedback which seems much lighter now.

That being said, counter-steer recovery seems to be more forgiving to me post V.1.09.
Me thinks PD needs to do some slight tweaking and bring a bit more weight back center-wise.

Last edited:
Ok, I finally got some time to spend on T500.....

So my feeling now (yours may differ) is that FFB effect like Mulsanne straight is very exaggerated now.
Out of proportion with the wheel's rotational feedback which seems much lighter now.

That being said, counter-steer recovery seems to be more forgiving post V.1.09.
Me thinks PD needs to do some slight tweaking and bring a bit more weight back center-wise.
These are a 100% match with my findings.
Software of my T500RS is still the original (have to look at the numbers).

@Blkout People assuming you (still) own a computer because of the fact you post on this forum should now that there are other means to do this... An iPad for example :rolleyes:

Last edited:

@Blkout People assuming you (still) own a computer because of the fact you post on this forum should now that there are other means to do this... An iPad for example :rolleyes:

That is correct, the only way you will get the Thrustmaster firmware to work on a Mac computer is...
...via Bootcamp or in Parallels-hosted Windows OS.

No go with iOS on iDevices like iPad/iPod Touch, and iPhone.

Last edited:
That being said, counter-steer recovery seems to be more forgiving post V.1.09

No way, its far, far more difficult now (unless we have a different definition of 'counter-steer recovery '). As soon as the tyre grips the wheel produces a strong pull or push which makes any fine adjustments impossible. The weight transfer of the car just throws the wheel about. I found it almost impossible to spin any car in GT6 before, I could catch any slide if I was driving seriously, but recently I've spun quite a lot. The issue I have talked about above combined with a total lack of feel for what the rear is doing makes it much harder to control cars now.

That is correct, the only way you will get the Thrustmaster firmware to work on a Mac computer is...
...via Bootcamp or in Parallels-hosted Windows OS.

No go with iOS on iDevices like iPad/iPod Touch, and iPhone.
Exactly.
My Mac nor iPad will help me on this and I do'nt feel this is my fault.

No way, its far, far more difficult now (unless we have a different definition of 'counter-steer recovery '). As soon as the tyre grips the wheel produces a strong pull or push which makes any fine adjustments impossible. The weight transfer of the car just throws the wheel about. I found it almost impossible to spin any car in GT6 before, I could catch any slide if I was driving seriously, but recently I've spun quite a lot. The issue I have talked about above combined with a total lack of feel for what the rear is doing makes it much harder to control cars now.

No intention here of disagreeing with your experience and impressions...
...in my case, my control and correction counter steering seems to be better now...
...and I can't drift to save my life, getting gold in drift events is a big deal for me. :lol:

----------------------------------------------------
UPDATE:
After spending some more time with the new physics and T500 behavior.
Managed to get down to 1:42.733 on the TS030 TT, no aids/0 ABS. :)

But still a few seconds behind the faster guys on my No SRF Group leader board. :ouch:

Turning up the FFB to 6 from 4 seems to do the trick for me...
...downside is that Mulsanne straight @FFB 6 reminds me some of my teeth have fillings. :lol:

But it shake, rattle, and roll only seems to affect some cars, so I can live with it for now.

Last edited:
Anybody noticed a change to Fanatec Wheels as well? On FFB4 its now lot more power on the wheel and the deadzone also changed. At least it seems so...

No intention here of disagreeing with your experience and impressions...
...in my case, my control and correction counter steering seems to be better now...
...and I can't drift to save my life, getting gold in drift events is a big deal for me. :lol:
+1

Though my Audi R8 LMS Phoenix has changed again after 1.09 (and not in the good sense because it is now more tailhappy than ever) I can pretty much correct the snap oversteer better than I used to.
i can't drift either, don't even come close to getting gold.

Anybody noticed a change to Fanatec Wheels as well? On FFB4 its now lot more power on the wheel and the deadzone also changed. At least it seems so...

Since Fanatec wheels emulate Logitech G25/G27 on PS3, I'd see if there are any threads related to that.
What they report might be more similar to what you experience on your Fanatec, than the T500.

No criticism intended, people I know who have G27s are experiencing different wheel behavior too.

Did anyone try the rotation fix yet for drifting? I used to use the 2 or 3 flashies setting and get a bronze at least haven't had time to try it yet.

This is the year 2014, if you or anyone else doesnt have access to a Windows PC, its time to come out of your cave. Im just not convinced that most people with the means to buy a T500 dont have any way to access a Windows PC. Your scenario is ridiculous and no fault of Thrustmaster.

Since Fanatec wheels emulate Logitech G25/G27 on PS3, I'd see if there are any threads related to that.
What they report might be more similar to what you experience on your Fanatec, than the T500.

No criticism intended, people I know who have G27s are experiencing different wheel behavior too.
Slightly stronger feedback, slightly more feedback but nothing like what's happening here. I tried the new Seasonal at LeMans and the car had slightly more FFB on the Mulsanne but not much more. My FFB is 5 with no power steering, ABS = 1.

Elite wheel? As in Fanatec CSRE?
All Fanatec wheels emulate G25/G27 on PS3 last I checked.

I owned the entire Fanatec wheel line before going to T500.
Couldn't take the down time anymore. :lol:

So I am presuming the relevance of your post is that similar issue also affects Fanatec wheels?
Yes, same issue affecting these as well. It is extreme on the Toyota going down that straight and gets worse the faster you go. I have even noticed it to some degree on normal road cars on other tracks.

I have had good luck with my Fanatec wheels. I have 2 a Turbo S and a CSR Elite the Turbo S had a fan issue when i got it but easily corrected and the Elite has worked great from day one going on 3 years now. I started with the standard pedals which were garbage but then got the club sports which are very good, 4 years on them now without issues.

I took the TS030 for a few laps around Circuit de la Sarthe with FFB set to 10. It is pretty violent with those settings, but I never felt like it was trying to rip itself from my hands. Although, I did grip the wheel pretty firmly and tensed up my arms to try to compensate for it with success.

I think that the best setting is around 3-5 if you're going for a longer race.

This is the year 2014, if you or anyone else doesnt have access to a Windows PC, its time to come out of your cave. Im just not convinced that most people with the means to buy a T500 dont have any way to access a Windows PC. Your scenario is ridiculous and no fault of Thrustmaster.

Very helpful answer, thanks so much ... 👍

I own a Apple/Mac after having used Windows PC's for some 30 years (or more) ... most likely longer than you have lived...

Very helpful answer, thanks so much ... 👍

I own a Apple/Mac after having used Windows PC's for some 30 years (or more) ... most likely longer than you have lived...

Poor assumption on your part. The really sad part of this is that you don't know anyone with a Windows PC. Do you have no friends or are you part of a MAC cult?

Last edited:
Interesting... I just ran the 24mins of lemans and no shaking... It was just like.. Can't see the post now but the video with almost no shaking down the straight. I am going to run the seasonal again to see if I can repeat what I experienced in the first place.

EDIT: yep, its worse in the seasonal. But still not like the video with the F1 wheel and not as bad as I remember it being at first. Can't explain that.

Last edited:
EDIT: yep, its worse in the seasonal. But still not like the video with the F1 wheel and not as bad as I remember it being at first. Can't explain that.
+1
The video showed exactly what I experienced on day 1.
Since yesterday it was not that exaggerated any more. PD must have heard about the issues... :D

Oh... also just updated the firmware of the T500RS to the latest version, just in case...

Well: no change in behaviour whatsoever... nor in the Toyota seasonal, nor in my favourite Nürburg 24' races with some different cars.

I ran the TT last night for a couple of hours.
Same Mulsanne shake n' bake, on both F1, 458GTE rims.

I can notice no difference between TT...
...running the car in Single Player or Garage Test Run on Mulsanne.

T500 V5, 41 firmware, bolted to rigid 8020 rig, no assists in-game FFB = 6.

Out of curiosity what do others have their T500 mounted on?
That can make a big difference as far as feedback forces that are transmitted.

Mine is mounted on a GranStand. I have the whole rig completely locked-down to prevent and side-to-side wobble from any quick steering input.

Mine has changed substantially since the update.

Latest firmware v41.

They have done something very weird with the deadzone and centering spring in the update. before, you could take your hands off the wheel and a car (any) would drive smoothly down the straight with no issues.

Since the update though, if you let go of the wheel, it will oscillate and snap back and forth violently. this is not right, and definitely not realistic.

Also, there is a huge 'notch' or 'weight' near centre that is not linear or realistic at all. For example, if you weave back and forth down the straight, like you were warming up your tires, when you get to centre it will go light, and then hit an instant weight of FFB that causes a jolt. It is not steering deadzone because the steering is still responsive in this zone, but a FFB deadzone, where there is no feel and then its like you hit a wall of FFB.

I don't like it, you have ruined the T500RS for GT Polyphony. Fix it please!

Remove the centering spring and also the FFB deadzone now! The FFB is no longer linear and VERY unrealistic.

Mine is on a Obutto Ozone hardmount with some extra vertical bracing to support the heavier weight and add some stiffness.

Honestly I am not having any issue with mine, if anything I like the update more than before. You can find the limit of tire much easier since it it makes it really obvious when the tire saturate and goes light when it goes past that.

I prefer the new FFB feeling however, I'm not so sure I like that whatever they did to the physics now. It feels like in order to keep my speed up, I find myself sliding around a lot of turns now. Not quite to the extreme as drifting but there's just a lot of very controlled sliding.

Even in flat tracks my wheel oscilate like shimmy efect... I know shimmy for motorcicles, but is it normal on 4 wheel cars? And its so often, Always happen.

Back