T500 RS - 1.09 Update (Discussion)

• Thread starter Kaelsberg
  • 227 comments
I prefer the new FFB feeling however, I'm not so sure I like that whatever they did to the physics now. It feels like in order to keep my speed up, I find myself sliding around a lot of turns now. Not quite to the extreme as drifting but there's just a lot of very controlled sliding.

Same, I find myself doing more inputs to keep the car turning, be it as back off and turn again, add throttle or any combination of those. Before a lot of time I am just turn in at the right speed and stay there. Sounds like more work but I am finding you can just feel the car moving around more and have that work for you. A lot of the time before if the back end lets out you are just gone. Now you can kinda feel it first and do something about it...

Ok, this is how the force feedback works with my wheel on ffb5.

when holding the wheel like I normally hold it on a straight.

When trying to fight the wheel with all I have.

The fact that some even discuss whether this is realistic make me wonder if it is the same on all T500rs. My wheel is a V.1 so it is from the first production series.

Great video! This happens to me too, and I don't dare use anything higher than ffb=1.

For that to be realistic, just imagine how the car's wheels would be swinging around :yuck: I tested it some more, it happens in all cars and in tracks with no bumps at all (smooth surfaces).

All said, I like the feeling of the wheel after the update, given that that pendulum thing gets fixed.

T500 / Wheel stand pro wheel user reporting in:

I always drive simulation, power assist OFF, (though i don't know what ON does, it makes no diff to me)

a) 1.09, initial impression was, WOW, they livened up the deadzone near the center, and I still like this feeling
b) I drive all my cars with no ABS and no Aids, and tune adjust brakes, and my own driving inputs to suit the car track I am on. the wheel feels ok with all this, and I liked it so much, I went from my usual FFB 3, up to 8.

c) having selected the Lexus GT500 on the Nurburgring, the wheel DISCONNECTS, loses power, life, half way through the track, caused me to , wonder a day later, if this was the car that died, or my wheel. (or is the culprit a 6' USB extention cable?)

d) replug USB mid race, it comes back.

e) I check TM support site for potential new Firmwares, sadly, nothing since last November. They always did improve on things. have we heard of any plans recently?

f) 2 screws have droped out from my center GT Logo cap, while driving. DON'T ASK HOW, this is PARANORMAL Activity

g) I still have yet to wonder if I am playing GT6 in 1080 rotation, or less! I really should try to force the mode settings, I'm too lazy to try. some cars feel very , over sensitive on rotation, (as if 270 or 540) and it is inconsistent, no time to figure it all out.

h) am I the only one that plays with pedals in regular F1 (red light)mode, and not like upside down GT pedal layout?
I still wish there was more feel of initial travel on the pedals, they always feel like 40% initial deadzone, but I blame the game programming on this.

I really liked the feel in Lemans trial, where the wheel bounced around, though, i agree, it should be toned down a tad.

Yesterday I tried power assist for the first time. Felt different, but did not like it.

I had to increase FF from 5 to 7 after 1.09.

No, you're not the only red light driver :D

I have the Basher mod added to my brake pedal, but since yesterday (when I updated the Thrustmaster firmware) the brake pedal feels different... :confused:
Accelerator and steering did not change.

I used to change the wheel rotation via the mode knob, but did not try that after installing the new firmware, which makes you push the knob over 1" to have effect.

I also love the Le Mans seasonal, but the bouncing and shaking is not normal, though it changed since the beginning and is now less violent, but still...

Yesterday I tried power assist for the first time. Felt different, but did not like it.

I had to increase FF from 5 to 7 after 1.09.

No, you're not the only red light driver :D

I have the Basher mod added to my brake pedal, but since yesterday (when I updated the Thrustmaster firmware) the brake pedal feels different... :confused:
Accelerator and steering did not change.

I used to change the wheel rotation via the mode knob, but did not try that after installing the new firmware, which makes you push the knob over 1" to have effect.

I also love the Le Mans seasonal, but the bouncing and shaking is not normal, though it changed since the beginning and is now less violent, but still...

How do you change the wheel rotation?

When i did my first posts i don't have the ninja update, after that it's a bit better, but center spring it's very unrealistic, sometimes the wheel it's so loose when counter steering, that i don't feel the grip.
I'm using the latest firmware on the wheel, and the FF is at 3 (but i think i will try 5), all assists off except abs.
The wheel is mounted on a RSeat RS1

I had a go at Le Mans seasonal. Interesting.

I never had this kind of oscillation or kicks along a bumpy surface before in GT6 with my T500RS but the experience was almost identical to racing all kinds of race cars on Le Mans in GT5 while I was using my Fanatec GT2 (which used Logitech G25 compatibility mode and oscillated any time you drove straight). The only difference being that the T500RS motor is more powerful so it kicks harder over the bumps.

The interesting bit is that the same trick works as GT5/Fanatec combo: if you turn the wheel to be a fraction offcenter most of the oscillations stop occurring, so you can kind of crab down the Mulsanne straight driving slightly offcenter left and right to get through the worst bumps.

This just confirms to me that we now have the FFB from Logitech DFGT/G27 but with the stronger T500RS motors to kick harder (and without the Fanatec on-wheel tuning to lower FFB if needed).

T500 / Wheel stand pro wheel user reporting in:

g) I still have yet to wonder if I am playing GT6 in 1080 rotation, or less! I really should try to force the mode settings, I'm too lazy to try. some cars feel very , over sensitive on rotation, (as if 270 or 540) and it is inconsistent, no time to figure it all out.

Although the T500 can be used in 1080 degree mode on a PC it only works as a 900 degree wheel in GT5 and GT6.

This just confirms to me that we now have the FFB from Logitech DFGT/G27 but with the stronger T500RS motors to kick harder (and without the Fanatec on-wheel tuning to lower FFB if needed).

Glad to see someone else saying this, I was just thinking the exact thing last night. I purchased my T500 about 2 months ago, stepping up from a broken CSR (non-elite), and was immediately amazed at how much better the game felt with the T500. Now after 1.09, its like you said, the wheel feels like a more powerful CSR. All the little things that came to life are now gone. At least that is what it feels like for me? I sure hope PD takes care of this fairly soon.

Yes, but every time you choose a car or enter a track, the game reset the changes in the wheel.
I think this don't work properly with GT, but i will try again.

Edit:
"This tip will not function properly in some games (such as GRAN TURISMO® 5)
which adjust or modify the angle of rotation at startup or at the restart of each race,
according to the type of car being used."
Yes indeed, you had do go over the whole sequence each time again. I first used it in the Eiger Nordwand/Monster seasonal and it helped. But it was a pain repeating it all the time.
I recently updated to the latest Thrustmaster firmware and have not tried it since. It may have changed since before that update you just had to touch the mode button, while now you have to push it for 1" or more...

Can others please check the Red Bull Championship since the 1.09 update. I rely on this to earn credits to buy cars, but since the update the feeling through the wheel is absolutely terrible - the nearest way to describe it is like using a DFGT with the power cord unplugged (i.e. no FFB at all when turning the wheel), but even worse than that are the seemingly random effects thrown over the top.

I now find this championship is completely ruined and an easy win has become a slog - the best I have been able to do post update is 5th and I am between 5 - 10 seconds a lap slower post update. With seemingly a complete disconnect between what the wheel is doing and the car on the track it has become impossible to judge - I am now having to rely entirely on visuals because the wheel is telling me nothing in this championship.

I am using T500RS with latest firmware, FFB 6 sensitivity at 0 or 2 - I have tried both. All driving aids on and also all aids off - it seems to make no difference to the terrible feeling through the wheel.

Has anyone else tried the Red Bull Standard championship and if so do you agree with my findings that something has gone terribly wrong?

I am pretty sure the physics of the T500 changed again today.
Is that even possible ?
Tried three different cars on the Nürburg 24 and also the seasonal La Sarthe/Toyota.
On the ring my cars felt like I was ice karting, while the Toyota suffered understeer and the shaking on Mulsanne was less violent.

I drove a Cobra, C2 Corvette, DAP Kart, Senna F3 and Cizeta V16 today all without any problem. Only the Red Bull Standard championship felt bad -it feels just as terrible as it did on the day of the update. Unfortunately I need to buy a Ford MK4 for an upcoming championship and with this championship now broken it is going to take a long time!

If you mean the steering sensitivity setting - yes it does affect wheels -I set it to 0 for the fastest cars such as Red Bull or Formula Gran Turismo and set it to 2 for other cars. My best pal uses a setting of 4.

Still no comments anywhere about the broken Red Bull Championship - can someone please confirm or test my finding that this championship is now no longer playable with a T500RS since the 1.09 update.

If you mean the steering sensitivity setting - yes it does affect wheels

Controller Steering Sensitivity
Adjust the movement speed and sensitivity of the front wheels in response to steering input from the directional buttons or stick. A smaller value will result in slower movement and smoother steering control. A larger value will result in quicker and more responsive steering. Adjusting this value will allow you to find a level of sensitivity that fits your playing style.

I tried different settings, but it makes no difference...

Driving the BMW VGT at the 'ring last night, I noticed when you get up on the curbs, the wheel just goes totally light, no feel or feedback at all... didn't have time to investigate further.

Wow, I experienced this same "up on the curbs, wheel just goes totally light" with my G27 on the Nurb after the update. It wasn't a big deal, but I'll keep an eye on it.

image.jpg

Still no comments anywhere about the broken Red Bull Championship - can someone please confirm or test my finding that this championship is now no longer playable with a T500RS since the 1.09 update.
It is not exactly my favourite car/championship ( was never going to do that again) but I tried it today, just to give you an answer.

Not the whole chapionship, but I took the Nürburg race and won without problem or steering issues. I did notice that there is little difference between grass and track. Don't seem to remember if that was the case before ? I steered into the corner to early, thought I was going to spin, but no problem... Just lost one position...

FF 6, no power steering.

I've been thinking about getting the T500, pedals, and shifter; I have the G27 system now. Has anyone mentioned the wheel shake on the seasonal reminds them of severe toe in of the rear tires? That's the immediate impression I got with the '27 and that Toyota. (obviously, from the videos and experience - way overboard at this time, but possibly the FFB instruction is out of wack?)

I think it's safe to say the whole regression to Logitech type wheel FFB is unexpected, presumably bugged.

I'm hoping they correct it with the patch to bring new Vision GT cars and Goodwood track update but knowing PD it'll probably take a few weeks before we have a chance of any kind of patch making it through.

I redid some of the Red Bull Championship with the following results (FFB 7, sensitivity 2, no aids except abs 1):

Karts - OK, but the sensation from the tyres has been reduced - previously it was quite pronounced, especially at the hairpins at Eiger Nordwand - it used to add a lot to the feel and realism of the karts. Verdict OK, but not as good.

Red Bull Juniors - OK, but similar reduction in feel to the karts.

Red Bull Standards - No resistance to turning the wheel at all - it might as well just be a plastic hoop hanging from a nail - there really is no feedback or resistance at all! The Trial Mountain race is still easy to win because if you know the track well enough it is wide and easy to keep the car on the track with no feedback from the wheel. Not all is lost because this race alone pays out 248k every 3 minutes.

On all the tracks, after practising I am now 3-5 seconds per lap slower and Trial Mountain is the only race I can win consistently. Verdict - broken - there is no sensation or resistance to turning at all - I can now easily turn the wheel with just the tip of my little finger! Come on PD - this one is broken! Hopefully as Skazz says they will correct this with a patch.

Very strange as today I also drove the 1954 Merc 300 SL and Corvette C2 1963 without any problems.

Back