Tame the Mountain: TT Isle of Man Launches March 6 on Consoles

Thanks for that @MatskiMonk And @Sean YZF to be honest it`s ok, but it`s the jerkyness of the gameplay im not liking, its actually hurting my eyes trying to see where im going, hmmm, im on ps4 pro aswell, tried the supersampling mode, turned motion blur off etc, it got a little clearer..So wish it was smoother...

If anybody's figured out how to watch a replay of a time attack solo on the mountain on PS4, could they please put me out of my misery?

Do I need to be doing a race or something, to get a replay to watch?

I love this game and although I suck at it, I'm getting there.
I'm down to 19'06 at the minute and slowly starting to piece the course together.
Off to a mates house on Sunday for an experiment.
He's an ex-TT racer from back in the day, who has never picked up a PlayStation pad in his life but knows the Snaefell course intimately, (went straight into the post office once and parked his bike on the counter at 80mph)
What do you think? Will Ian be able to navigate his way around just because he knows where he's going? Or will a total lack of dual shock experience hinder him so badly that he will rage quit before he manages a single lap?
Stay tuned to find out........

:irked:👍

Thanks for that @MatskiMonk And @Sean YZF to be honest it`s ok, but it`s the jerkyness of the gameplay im not liking, its actually hurting my eyes trying to see where im going, hmmm, im on ps4 pro aswell, tried the supersampling mode, turned motion blur off etc, it got a little clearer..So wish it was smoother...

Did you turn camera shake off? I do like Helmet view, pretty smooth vision.

I did a slow lap section Kirkmichael to Ramsey, only going in 3 gear. Really good the amount of detail, from milestones, telegraph poles wires, foliage on the trees. Cars in car parks, man hole covers, still too do a full lap.

Now using pro settings.

Hmmm my take on it...

Not liking the frame rate at all, coming from GTsport on the pro to this is awful,
Dont like the replays, cant stand it in games when the camera keeps switching, i want to view trackside views, i dont want it cutting back to the bike all the time.
Like the ride games the sound is weedy for these kind of bikes, the way the bikes turn is too slow..
No kind of photomode or able to look around etc

I so wanted this game for ages, just a good job i got it on disc so i can sell it, be well gutted if i downloaded it.

Again it`s just my opinions other people may love it..

Hmmm my take on it...

Not liking the frame rate at all, coming from GTsport on the pro to this is awful,
Dont like the replays, cant stand it in games when the camera keeps switching, i want to view trackside views, i dont want it cutting back to the bike all the time.
Like the ride games the sound is weedy for these kind of bikes, the way the bikes turn is too slow..

I so wanted this game for ages, just a good job i got it on disc so i can sell it, be well gutted if i downloaded it.

Yup it's not a fully completed game. Hope they will add things with some updates.

I can never play 60 fps games and 30 fps on one day......booted MotoGP17 played it for an hour or so, booted TT......stopped TT.

I do like most of the onboard sounds using headphones. The Norton and CBR600 are my fav.
One if the things i really love is the momentum when taking slow corners/hairpins.

It's not the best game.....but once i'm playing it I have a hard to stop :)

It's a shame frame rate can be such a big deal for people. I guess I can understand why people don't like it, but for me - I'm just kinda used to it after about 10 seconds. But then I still play C64 games, maybe I have a low benchmark!

I've not been putting much time into the game over the last week or so... too busy with other things. Have yet to crack the 20 minute barrier.... but trying is quite addictive!

It's a shame frame rate can be such a big deal for people. I guess I can understand why people don't like it, but for me - I'm just kinda used to it after about 10 seconds. But then I still play C64 games, maybe I have a low benchmark!

I've not been putting much time into the game over the last week or so... too busy with other things. Have yet to crack the 20 minute barrier.... but trying is quite addictive!

I bought a ps4 pro just for GTsport, because i saw before release the replays were 60 frames compared to 30 frames on a standard ps4, I have both machines, it looks ghastly to me on the base ps4, even photomode and livery editor are jerky when moving the camera about on the base ps4.

I bought a ps4 pro just for GTsport, because i saw before release the replays were 60 frames compared to 30 frames on a standard ps4, I have both machines, it looks ghastly to me on the base ps4, even photomode and livery editor are jerky when moving the camera about on the base ps4.

Fair enough. I've got a couple of gripes with the game, but the fact that it's the best opportunity to try and learn and experience the course I'm happy to overlook them.

On the framerate issue, I still love this game....

.. you can almost count the individual frames :lol:

Hmmm my take on it...

Sounds brutal. One to pick up 12 month down the line if sorted.

So many racing games these days such little polish.

I was just taking photos of the game box etc so i can re sell it and saw it said ps4 pro enhanced on the back, i wonder what is enhanced for the pro, does anyone know.

What the heck just noticed it says resale prohibited...huh?

pro.jpg

May I have input/opinion on the following in game options (I’m playing on OG Xbox One):

Motion Blur (off, weak, normal)
-I’m currently running with “off”; anybody keep it on?

RGB Desynchronization (off or on)?
-I can’t figure out what this option does and if it’s better off or on on OG Xbox One

Dynamic View (anticipated, standard, delayed, off)
-I’m not sure what this does either, is one dynamic view better than the other (I use the helmet cam)

Camera Shake (0-100 increments of 10)
-I have it on zero; is this more of a preference thing or does it make riding more immersive?

May I have input/opinion on the following in game options (I’m playing on OG Xbox One):

-I can’t figure out what this option does and if it’s better off or on on OG Xbox One

-I’m not sure what this does either, is one dynamic view better than the other (I use the helmet cam)

-I have it on zero; is this more of a preference thing or does it make riding more immersive?

Motion Blur I've not really noticed too much difference with (Perhaps more of a PS4 Pro thing)

RGB De Sync is the slight blur effect you get when you fall off (I think)

Dynamic View will turn the look of the rider towards the apex of a corner. I found this intensely disorientating and keep it off.

Camera shake I think I have on 100, but still seems fairly smooth to me.

Motion Blur I've not really noticed too much difference with (Perhaps more of a PS4 Pro thing)

RGB De Sync is the slight blur effect you get when you fall off (I think)

Dynamic View will turn the look of the rider towards the apex of a corner. I found this intensely disorientating and keep it off.

Camera shake I think I have on 100, but still seems fairly smooth to me.

Thank you for your reply.

Motion blur is off purely so I can see down the track better - the game looks "nicer" with it on.

RGB "desychronisation" is the chromatic aberration effect, where the colour channels separate giving individual misaligned red, green and blue silhouettes on screen - a popular and elegantly simple "damage" feedback effect in games. It only occurs when you bin it.

Dynamic view is just look-to-apex, as noted already. The three options that aren't "off" basically dictate how soon the movement occurs relative to your corner approach - I could barely notice a difference between those three settings because of how disorienting it is. I turned it off as well. (But it actually stayed on until I went to the main menu and started the track session again.)

I turned camera shake down to 30 and didn't re-visit it. To be honest, I haven't properly compared it back to back.
As a concept, I don't think it's particularly realistic because your eyes are pretty well suspended and your brain does a great job of smoothing things out as your head rattles about anyway. Excluding heavy impacts, and stuff actually physically blocking my view, I've never had difficulty seeing where I'm going on a motorbike in real life. On that basis, adding movement to the screen that your brain can't filter out (because your inner ear isn't moving with it) is not a good idea in my opinion. A little bit of dynamism at the edge of the screen probably does add a bit of drama in the name of immersion, but that could be done by other means. I suspect you'd be faster with it off / low.

Motion blur is off purely so I can see down the track better - the game looks "nicer" with it on.

RGB "desychronisation" is the chromatic aberration effect, where the colour channels separate giving individual misaligned red, green and blue silhouettes on screen - a popular and elegantly simple "damage" feedback effect in games. It only occurs when you bin it.

Dynamic view is just look-to-apex, as noted already. The three options that aren't "off" basically dictate how soon the movement occurs relative to your corner approach - I could barely notice a difference between those three settings because of how disorienting it is. I turned it off as well. (But it actually stayed on until I went to the main menu and started the track session again.)

I turned camera shake down to 30 and didn't re-visit it. To be honest, I haven't properly compared it back to back.
As a concept, I don't think it's particularly realistic because your eyes are pretty well suspended and your brain does a great job of smoothing things out as your head rattles about anyway. Excluding heavy impacts, and stuff actually physically blocking my view, I've never had difficulty seeing where I'm going on a motorbike in real life. On that basis, adding movement to the screen that your brain can't filter out (because your inner ear isn't moving with it) is not a good idea in my opinion. A little bit of dynamism at the edge of the screen probably does add a bit of drama in the name of immersion, but that could be done by other means. I suspect you'd be faster with it off / low.

Thank you so much for the in-depth thoughts on each option!!

If anybody's figured out how to watch a replay of a time attack solo on the mountain on PS4, could they please put me out of my misery?

Do I need to be doing a race or something, to get a replay to watch?

I love this game and although I suck at it, I'm getting there.
I'm down to 19'06 at the minute and slowly starting to piece the course together.
Off to a mates house on Sunday for an experiment.
He's an ex-TT racer from back in the day, who has never picked up a PlayStation pad in his life but knows the Snaefell course intimately, (went straight into the post office once and parked his bike on the counter at 80mph)
What do you think? Will Ian be able to navigate his way around just because he knows where he's going? Or will a total lack of dual shock experience hinder him so badly that he will rage quit before he manages a single lap?
Stay tuned to find out........

:irked:👍

Well? how did he get on?
I know the course like the back of my hand in real life have been at the TT for almost 20 years, the game is spot on as far as that is concerned

They really need to patch the handling though

Edit to ad: I picked it up pre-owned for £15

They really need to patch the handling though

What aspect of it do you feel isn't right? I don't ride a motorbike at all in real-life and the only other bike game I've played is Tourist Trophy, so I've got no real point of reference. I'd say it did seem somewhat intuitive in how it works - but I don't know if it's accurate - and it certainly takes some skill to master (which I haven't done yet :D)

What aspect of it do you feel isn't right? I don't ride a motorbike at all in real-life and the only other bike game I've played is Tourist Trophy, so I've got no real point of reference. I'd say it did seem somewhat intuitive in how it works - but I don't know if it's accurate - and it certainly takes some skill to master (which I haven't done yet :D)

The behavior of the rear wheel is totally random. It bears no relation to reality. It suddenly decides to send you off at a 90 degree angle into the wall at whatever moment it feels like. There's no stopping or controlling it.

It seems a huge waste to build such a beautiful course to throw it away with bizarre handling. I hope they sort it out.
Looks the weird rider movement is improved compared to vids I've seen but in its current form it's barely worth bothering with until they repair it.

The behavior of the rear wheel is totally random. It bears no relation to reality. It suddenly decides to send you off at a 90 degree angle into the wall at whatever moment it feels like. There's no stopping or controlling it.

There's a couple of spots I can think of where I felt I'd been chucked off for no reason, notably, on the run down to the first corner, and on the way through Glen Vine, and on the run into hillberry corner. Through sections like that I tend to shift my weight back on the bike and that seems to have rectified the issues. I put it simply down to there being bumps and camber changes in the road surface. Since you've got no hope of seeing them, and you've got no physical feedback for what the bike is doing, it makes them seem unexpected.. especially if you're going 206 mph! (Which is a trophy I've only just managed to earn after switching temporarily from an S1000RR to the V4 powered 1200cc Norton).

I'm still yet to complete a lap of the mountain without coming off, but I'd have to admit to being at fault 99% of the time.

Since they do need to address the replay situation in time attack mode, I'd love to see a slow-mo mode that lets us closely see the movements of the bike when it goes wrong.

The steering appears to be faked, no countersteering, no trail (caster) effect - and that means an absence of that dreaded interaction between the various stiffnesses (fork, frame, engine, swinging-arm, tyres, rider) and the trail in response to the track and applied controls, namely: "head-shake", in the extreme leading to a "tank-slapper". Mostly in a sim these would be damped out by the game's control interface anyway, but they add a sense of authenticity and give rise to realistic turn-in timings and road-speed-dependencies of the same (determined by stability as much as inertia or gyroscopic forces).

When the rear end loses grip in the game, it does not regain grip until both wheels are traveling more or less in line, which is completely wrong - as anyone who has even seen a "high-side" can attest. What that means is you can glide down the track with the back end hanging out as though it were on a skateboard, until you either crash, or line the wheels up again.

My personal suspicion is that the underlying physics are not single-track at all, but rather something like a sled or 4-wheel substitute of some kind - this can sort of be seen in the way the bike tumbles weirdly in crashes sometimes. My guess is the lean angle is therefore just graphical, and the physics implications of that (camber thrust, gearing changes, CoG movement, centrifugal loading etc.) are not taken into account in a cohesive and sensible way.

It's still fun, mind you.

Side note: the 1200 Norton wouldn't be allowed to race. The one they have been racing uses a modified Aprilia engine and a different frame...

The steering appears to be faked, no countersteering, no trail (caster) effect - and that means an absence of that dreaded interaction between the various stiffnesses (fork, frame, engine, swinging-arm, tyres, rider) and the trail in response to the track and applied controls, namely: "head-shake", in the extreme leading to a "tank-slapper". Mostly in a sim these would be damped out by the game's control interface anyway, but they add a sense of authenticity and give rise to realistic turn-in timings and road-speed-dependencies of the same (determined by stability as much as inertia or gyroscopic forces).

When the rear end loses grip in the game, it does not regain grip until both wheels are traveling more or less in line, which is completely wrong - as anyone who has even seen a "high-side" can attest. What that means is you can glide down the track with the back end hanging out as though it were on a skateboard, until you either crash, or line the wheels up again.

My personal suspicion is that the underlying physics are not single-track at all, but rather something like a sled or 4-wheel substitute of some kind - this can sort of be seen in the way the bike tumbles weirdly in crashes sometimes. My guess is the lean angle is therefore just graphical, and the physics implications of that (camber thrust, gearing changes, CoG movement, centrifugal loading etc.) are not taken into account in a cohesive and sensible way.

I've been thinking about steering input, and wondering if that might be responsible for a few things. Would it be fair to say that with only one steering input method to handle the fork angle, lean, and lateral rider position, that compromises have to be made that might not work across the wide range of speeds in the game?

I don't think the animation of the rider relates to where the physics thinks the rider is, so I guess it's possible the lean angle isn't either... although the collision detection seems to know if the riders head or torso has hit something even when the bike doesn't.

I'm with Griffith500 on this. Hello by the way, I'm new here and joined just so that I could discuss this game in a rational manner - unlike Twitter!

Anyway, to me, it feels like the bikes handle more like a RWD car, specifically when you go over the crest of a hill and the bike gets light. When it comes down fully on the suspension, it is like a wheel on a RWD car is gaining traction first and steering the vehicle to one side. In my experience, the bike nearly always suddenly veers to the right. There is no way to save it or even attempt to correct it in any small way.

If bikes handled like this in real life, every single biker would either be paralysed or dead. I've owned over 30 bikes in the 35+ years I have been a biker, and none of them handle like these bikes at all. They should have played Ride 2 extensively to get a good feel for how a bike game should handle without being impossible to control. I'd even suggest that Ride 2 has better bike models as well. It isn't perfect, but it is one of the best bike games I have ever played on console.

The original Isle of Man game on the PS2 did a better job, and certainly did a much better job at simulating a tank slapper. I really hope they patch this up well. It is so annoying when you check their Twitter feed and they simply ignore any complaints, but manage to thank people who praise the game.

It's a shame, because I have been playing WRC7, which is by the same developer, and am enjoying it quite a bit.

I'm with Griffith500 on this. Hello by the way, I'm new here and joined just so that I could discuss this game in a rational manner - unlike Twitter!

Anyway, to me, it feels like the bikes handle more like a RWD car, specifically when you go over the crest of a hill and the bike gets light. When it comes down fully on the suspension, it is like a wheel on a RWD car is gaining traction first and steering the vehicle to one side. In my experience, the bike nearly always suddenly veers to the right. There is no way to save it or even attempt to correct it in any small way.

If bikes handled like this in real life, every single biker would either be paralysed or dead. I've owned over 30 bikes in the 35+ years I have been a biker, and none of them handle like these bikes at all. They should have played Ride 2 extensively to get a good feel for how a bike game should handle without being impossible to control. I'd even suggest that Ride 2 has better bike models as well. It isn't perfect, but it is one of the best bike games I have ever played on console.

The original Isle of Man game on the PS2 did a better job, and certainly did a much better job at simulating a tank slapper. I really hope they patch this up well. It is so annoying when you check their Twitter feed and they simply ignore any complaints, but manage to thank people who praise the game.

It's a shame, because I have been playing WRC7, which is by the same developer, and am enjoying it quite a bit.

Welcome to GTP... generally the discussion here should be less cancerous than Twitter! Anyway..

OMGZ111!! U R WRONG!!!

Just kidding ;) for what it's worth, what I'm trying to gauge, is whether the simulation not being correct is being confused with how difficult I *think* it probably is to ride a powerful superbike at astonishing speeds on a public road surface. My gut feeling is that it should be twitchy, it should have you feeling like you're on a knife edge - and from a lot of the comments I've read on social media, I think there's a great deal of people that are complaining that it's wrong - simply because it's hard.

As a biker do you think that part of the problem could be that when riding a bike, your whole body is part of the equation, for controlling the bike, and for gleaning feedback from the bike --- yet in a computer game, you only get visual cues as to what is going on... and therefore, if the simulation doesn't build in some compensation factor to make it easy, then it makes it seem even harder?

I've been thinking about steering input, and wondering if that might be responsible for a few things. Would it be fair to say that with only one steering input method to handle the fork angle, lean, and lateral rider position, that compromises have to be made that might not work across the wide range of speeds in the game?

I don't think the animation of the rider relates to where the physics thinks the rider is, so I guess it's possible the lean angle isn't either... although the collision detection seems to know if the riders head or torso has hit something even when the bike doesn't.
That speed dependency is an issue, but it's actually related to the dynamics of a motorcycle rather than the control scheme - it effectively switches "mode".

When learning, you're taught to consciously countersteer at normal road speeds, but at low speeds you should steer "normally" - countersteering still works, though. The issue is "capsizing" is more likely and a there is a marked reduction (if not total loss) of self-stability (the way a bicycle will carry a straight line without a rider) - this creates a more involved task of simply balancing the bike.

Games like Ride have noticeable instability at low speed, presumably because the steering model is built on countersteering alone - it will lag excessively behind inputs because there is not enough force available to quickly create the lean angle required to achieve the steering angle and yaw rate the player has "requested".

This game (TT) also suffers from some weirdness at low speed, but it's more related to the unnatural effectiveness of its steering. What it feels like to me is that the steering requests a yaw rate (like it does in a car), and the tyres fulfil that according to the grip available just as quickly as it does at high speed. The lean and rider position could then simply be animated according to that steering position (yaw rate) and the road speed.

Latest Posts

Back