Tasteful Modifications Thread

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 6,666 comments
Why is it so trendy to have tires that aren't wide enough to properly fit the wheels they're mounted to? And when the result is premature failure, how is it tasteful?

Personally I see no issue with those Audi's, believe they're very tasteful examples of modifying a car.

However, I will concede that I really don't like the whole obsession with excessive stretching, just dont see the point.
Much like exhibit A:
Nissan 350z whith overly stretched wheels.jpg

Or as a more extreme example, this poor Celica:
Toyota Celica with overly streched wheels.jpg

Oh and @Team THRT Drift loving those Dimma Peugeot's 👍

^^^ How do you open the trunk/boot?
Not trying to be a dick, just genuinely curious.
BTW I love S2000's too and always enjoy your posts in this thread.

^^^ How do you open the trunk/boot?
Not trying to be a dick, just genuinely curious.

I was curious about that myself when I first saw it ages ago. Basically, you can still open the boot, as @RandomCarGuy17 well spotted. In fact there's multiple way's of opening it:

1: the hardtop boot opens separately to the original car's boot (bit of a faff)
2: the mooncraft boot opens with the original one thanks to some struts that attach to the original boot

e.g.
S2000 Mooncraft hinged double boot.jpg

the whole hardtop can also just be removed to gain access if it's a fixed unit, but that's even more of a faff

BTW I love S2000's too and always enjoy your posts in this thread.

Haha, no problem, nice to know you appreciate them too:tup:, after-all I've become a bit of a serial poster of S2000's anyway :lol:

I was curious about that myself when I first saw it ages ago. Basically, you can still open the boot, as @RandomCarGuy17 well spotted. In fact there's multiple way's of opening it:

1: the hardtop boot opens separately to the original car's boot (bit of a faff)
2: the mooncraft boot opens with the original one thanks to some struts that attach to the original boot

e.g.
View attachment 634328
the whole hardtop can also just be removed to gain access if it's a fixed unit, but that's even more of a faff

Haha, no problem, nice to know you appreciate them too:tup:, after-all I've become a bit of a serial poster of S2000's anyway :lol:

That's really tacky... I would at least fab some custom mounts and support/struts for the hardtop. It would look a lot cleaner. If you still want to use the car's boot, then get the <strike>Spoon</strike> Mugen hardtop. Otherwise fab something for the Mooncraft.

Again, that's just my opinion, not really putting anyone down.

Some W116/123/124 goodness

4c71514aad44c5286d69bb3f700e35c0.jpg

11392016016_fd5f20465e_b.jpg

ChcIdj4W4AAU8Ee.jpg

Track-Show-16-37-1200x800.jpg

StanceNation-Odaiba-15-06.jpg

Track-Show-16-39-1200x800.jpg

7403694026_bf9ed2f724_b.jpg

Mercedes_w126_inden_design_2.JPG

Mercedes-W126-20.jpg

Last edited:
That's really tacky... I would at least fab some custom mounts and support/struts for the hardtop. It would look a lot cleaner. If you still want to use the car's boot, then get the Spoon hardtop. Otherwise fab something for the Mooncraft.

Oh yea definitely, there's better way's of doing it, wouldn't necessarily say it's tacky though, just not the prettiest. It's just that it'd be a bit of a faff opening two boots in the first place, just done more for a practical sake.

Personally I feel like Mugen's where it's at in terms of aftermarket S2000 hardtops.

I'm with you on that as well, whilst the mooncraft/spoon design has grown on me, ultimately the Mugen hardtop is the best, as that's how a hardtop S2000 should ultimately look like, what with the "double-bubble-esque" design roof:

Mugen hardtop for S2000.jpg

That's pretty much the perfect setup in my eye; Mugen top, ASM front bumper, but I'd personally add the J's Racing half front fenders and the ASM rears. And GT-R offset CE28Ns. Or roughly 15,000$ worth of cosmetics... :lol:

Kinda like this, but you know, without the forced induction, with a bit less camber on the rears, and obvously on the track instead of a parking lot.
090a6de099a5f77e6963998f5270c121.jpg

That's pretty much the perfect setup in my eye; Mugen top, ASM front bumper, but I'd personally add the J's Racing half front fenders and the ASM rears. And GT-R offset CE28Ns. Or roughly 15,000$ worth of cosmetics... :lol:

Kinda like this, but you know, without the forced induction, with a bit less camber on the rears, and obvously on the track instead of a parking lot.
090a6de099a5f77e6963998f5270c121.jpg

Love that. Just slap on some SW388's or TE37's and it'd be near perfect (as much as I love the CE28N's). I do hate the whole "Hella-flush" and excessive stance nonsense with S2000's. Afterall the F20C in an S2000 was designed to be used, as is the whole car. Just doesn't deserve to be static in a car park. Mini rant over :lol:.

Seems you and I have pretty much the same taste in style of S2000, very tasteful indeed 👍.

Seems you and I have pretty much the same taste in style of S2000, very tasteful indeed 👍.

And expensive. :lol: A genuine Mugen carbon top is somewhere around 7000$, if they still are available brand new. The thing about the S2000 is that Honda really went to town on it with the quality of the parts, and if you want something aftermarket that'll be better, it's obviously going to cost a lot of money. The OEM aluminium hood is actually lighter than most aftermarket carbon units, and 75% of the aftermarket coilovers are actually making the car worse.

And expensive. :lol: A genuine Mugen carbon top is somewhere around 7000$, if they still are available brand new. The thing about the S2000 is that Honda really went to town on it with the quality of the parts, and if you want something aftermarket that'll be better, it's obviously going to cost a lot of money. The OEM aluminium hood is actually lighter than most aftermarket carbon units, and 75% of the aftermarket coilovers are actually making the car worse.

Ahh yes the cost, didn't mention that for obvious reasons :lol:. That's the one problem as the Mugen top is very expensive no matter where you go, and just as much so in the UK as it seems to be rarer still.

That is the one "issue" (if you can call it that) with the S2000 is that it's so well made that, start "upgrading" it you won't neccasarily make it any better, and in fact as you say you'll probably make it worse. Hence why you have to pay even more of a premium and the already expensive parts to actually better.

Also worrying thing is, in the UK at least, prices of S2000 are really starting hike up, as it becomes a bit of a "modern classic", plus none-ragged, TLC'ed ones are becoming harder to come by. Over here, we're becoming harder pressed to find a decent one for less than £6000 :nervous:.

Last edited:
Sometimes I wish I hadn't sold mine so long ago... had a black '03 with the red interior, possibly the best car I've ever owned. But then you really can't fit 2 kids in there, so I guess being a responsible father had to come first.

The third one is completely stock. Minus the SVT decal, the fifth one is also bone stock.

I wouldn't call any of those tasteful. But that's just me.

Oh, they are tasteful, the only issue you really have is probably because those are Ford Contours that received the custom treatment (which doesn't sound really all that bad)

Back