Tasteful Modifications Thread

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 6,666 comments
I'd qualify any car with a full cage and (seemingly) only inertia-reel belts as a questionable mod. But given that this appears to be more of a show-er than a go-er, i guess it doesn't really matter.

Williams collaboration Singer Porsche.

500HP lightweight chassis.

bh1ctdldcewkckvfhisw.png

hhsunfglpbdlmug40whd.jpg

x7reyb31kdfpd0ae5le7.jpg

n5g0dnglbdtfpuuo5hep.jpg

zgarikb5yb8lbuc2fxoy.png

The “PORSCHE” on the rear end is slightly misaligned to the right.

You’re welcome.
:lol:

As a rule, I don't object to what Singer does. I mean...I like clunky plastic corner lenses on original cars, and the Singer smoothies lack the soul that those have, but I don't view the cars as "molested" in the manner I do regarding RWB. That said, I prefer the traditional Singer aesthetic to this--they may not have exposed hardware, but those overfenders still come off as tacky. That ducktail doesn't seem appropriate when paired with the perimeter aero, either.

The quarter windows/ducts, however, are really working for me. Functionality can be aesthetically pleasing when done well.

There’s a few things I like and dislike about that particular Singer 911:

- The front bumper, rear defuser, and other aero additions don’t really go well with the 60’s style bodywork. I know this car is meant to be more functional, but it’s hard to do that whilst trying to mimic older style 911s.
- The side mirrors are kinda interesting. They’re different from the standard chrome ones, but they don’t really stick out too much.
- The taillights look like a hybrid between the standard ones and the ones from the 911R, which is honestly kinda awkward looking. One or the other would’ve been fine.
- The intake integrated into the rear quarter window is very cleanly done, although not the first time I’ve seen that done with a Porsche (RWB did something very similar). Is this just a Porsche thing in general or is it something only a handful of people have done?
- There is way too much going on in the interior. The regular Singer interior was perfectly fine.

- The intake integrated into the rear quarter window is very cleanly done, although not the first time I’ve seen that done with a Porsche (RWB did something very similar). Is this just a Porsche thing in general or is it something only a handful of people have done?
large1157.jpg
P21200131297582512.jpg
dc5_lexan_left_hand_rear_quarter_window1.jpg
dsc_0193.jpg

And something else I'll throw in because it's fairly common here as well...

3132235cf422e84e21137bd2cbcccd62.jpg

It's simply a means of getting air to a rear-mounted engine in racing applications--there aren't many chassis that call for such a modification--I just think it's done particularly well on this Singer.

I’ve seen plenty of people put intakes into the window, but it was always some kind of obvious NACA duct or something. The way is done here is a lot more subtle.

sing7.jpg

and here’s the RWB approach that I mentioned:
d2_ZTgn_1.jpg

I’ve seen plenty of people put intakes into the window, but it was always some kind of obvious NACA duct or something. The way is done here is a lot more subtle.

sing7.jpg

and here’s the RWB approach that I mentioned:
d2_ZTgn_1.jpg
Apart from being made of what I presume is molded polycarbonate and lacking the scavenging that NACA ducts are capable of, the Singer approach seems more in line with the more traditional methods of introducing fresh air to the engine, as the RWB example appears to be a cut-down flat panel joined to the 911's quarter window by bonded plastic or maybe even powdercoated tin for ease of fabrication and minimal weight--a quick image search yielded no better views and I deigned to delve deeper (because RWB).

What's the difference?
800-1800lbs, several inches in all directions, 2-4 cylinders, tow rating, load rating...I'm certain there are more but I'm not that familiar with the trucks. The C10 is a fullsize while the S10 is a compact.

Huh, you learn something new every day.
Indeed. I've been fond of the third generation trucks and Blazers/Suburbans, specifically the facelifted '81-7 models, for quite some time now so it's not news to me.

Back