Tasteful Modifications Thread

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 6,666 comments
11856729_806328549466351_1989076392_n.jpg

@Heldenzeit and I give the previous owner crap for selling this. Every. Day.

SVX
It should be kinda obvious.
Assuming yes, since he didn't click the "Like" button and those wheels have been criticized in the past.

I posted that car because I thought it was tasteful, it doesn't change anything for me if others disprove of it or not.

To be honest, you can say what you want about Rota wheels, but I think they make some of the nicest looking and tasteful wheels around. Their grid V's and Kyusha's are their best examples IMO.

I was curious if he was joking or not, considering that most of Rota's designs are copied from other manufacturers.
I don't see how you would conclude that he was joking. He literally said "to be honest".

Even though I would easily take a more authentic rim from the time period over Rotiforms, it's hard to deny that the Legacy and Forester I posted look good on them.

Can't tell if sarcasm or...

Absolutely not, I'm being serious all right. So what if they've copied from other manufacturer's, they're some really good looking wheels. Heck, copied or not, at least they're copying some really nice designs :lol:.

Either way each to their own I guess, personally I think they make some really nice wheels (copied/inspired by/influenced by, or otherwise etc, etc.)

Last edited:
Wow, you really are open minded to other types of rims aren't you.
Open minded to what? They should get credit for being nice or tasteful, at all. If they're "Nice" or "tasteful" it's because they basically outright stole designs from other rims. They

I don't see how you would conclude that he was joking. He literally said "to be honest".

Even though I would easily take a more authentic rim from the time period over Rotiforms, it's hard to deny that the Legacy and Forester I posted look good on them.
Because it doesn't make sense to say that they're the nice, more tasteful rims around. Good thing no one said anything about the cars, just specifically the rims, right?

Absolutely not, I'm being serious all right. So what if they've copied from other manufacturer's, they're some really good looking wheels. Heck, copied or not, at least they're copying some really nice designs :lol:.

Either way each to their own I guess, personally I think they make some really nice wheels (copied/inspired by/influenced by, or otherwise etc, etc.)
They copy some nice wheels, they don't make nice wheels. They aren't inspired by, influenced by, or otherwise because they'd need their own actual design first. That's the problem. It's not them that are nice looking and tasteful, it's the rims that they were copied from that meet that description. I'd just call them "affordable" if anything.

As I said each to their own, I'm fully aware that they've more than "drawn influence" from other wheel designs, doesn't stop them from making some tasteful wheels IMO, otherwise I couldn't really care about Rota themselves or the fact that they copied designs really.

Anyhow, another tasteful (IMO) design of Rota wheel I forgot about:

Aleica's, works very well on NA MX-5's like below.

Mx-5 on Aleicas.jpg

As I said each to their own, I'm fully aware that they've more than "drawn influence" from other wheel designs, doesn't stop them from making some tasteful wheels IMO, otherwise I couldn't really care about Rota and the fact that they copied designs ;).
Yup, you definitely said that, but, to each their own doesn't mean that people can't post their opinion on it. They didn't draw influence from anything, that would imply they took in the competition to influence a design they made themselves. They just basically ripped off someone else. I wouldn't even say they make tasteful wheels, they're a manufacturer that copies tasteful wheels.

I also don't care about rotas. If people want to skimp out on wheels that's their decision. I'm just saying I'd be hard pressed to call them specifically tasteful. Like I said, they just copy tasteful designs and make them affordable with cheaper material.

Open minded to what? They should get credit for being nice or tasteful, at all. If they're "Nice" or "tasteful" it's because they basically outright stole designs from other rims. They

Because it doesn't make sense to say that they're the nice, more tasteful rims around. Good thing no one said anything about the cars, just specifically the rims, right?

They copy some nice wheels, they don't make nice wheels. They aren't inspired by, influenced by, or otherwise because they'd need their own actual design first. That's the problem. It's not them that are nice looking and tasteful, it's the rims that they were copied from that meet that description. I'd just call them "affordable" if anything.
I get that Rotiforms are not the ultimate in terms of quality. I get that the designs are merely that of popular 90s JDM rims. I get that actual 90s rims are far more desirable than a less-expensive remake of them.

I think you're missing the point, though. Those rims could be as cheap as chips and have no originality to them, but they sure do look good on the cars I posted. There may be a huge difference in quality compared to 90s JDM rims and brand new Rotas, but there's a minimal difference in the looks department. Which was why I posted the Legacy and forester which used Rotas in the first place.

@ImaRobot You're absolutely correct, and I completely agree with what you say. And it really is each to their own, as let's be honest, none of us here will necessarily always 100% with what's posted here, due to everyone's differing taste's on what's tasteful. Plus if you read what I put, you'll note I have no issue with others voicing their opinion, as that was simply what I was doing, no harm in either 👍.

Personally for me, I'm aware that Rota are renown for copying other wheels outright, and ultimately I can see why people may really dislike them for that, amongst other things. And everyone is certainly welcome to voice their opinion, mines just that I think Rota's wheels are generally very tasteful. I see it as they're just very good at copying the best wheels :lol:.

Anyway, back to preceding's. Posting that NA above made me remember how well Rota's Grid V's work on NA's for me.

mx-5 on grid v's.png
mx-5 driftworks on grid v's.jpg

More of an excuse to post pics of some nice NA's really :lol:.

Last edited:
I get that Rotiforms are not the ultimate in terms of quality. I get that the designs are that of popular 90s JDM rims. I get that actual 90s rims are far more desirable than a less-expensive remake of them.
Cool. Not sure how that's relevant to what I said.

I think you're missing the point, though. Those rims could be as chips and have no originality to them, but they sure do look good on the cars I posted. There may be a huge difference in quality compared to 90s JDM rims and brand new Rotas, but there's a minimal difference in the looks department. Which was why I posted the Legacy and forester which used Rotas in the first place.
To be honest, you're the one missing the point. No one mentioned how bad they look, or how bad the car looks, so for you to keep mentioning it has little relevance to the actual point.

@ImaRobot You're absolutely correct, and I completely agree with what you say. And it really is each to their own, as let's be honest, none of us here will necessarily always 100% with what's posted here, due to everyone's differing taste's on what's tasteful.
To each their own, what? They aren't designing and manufacturing tasteful rims, They're copying and manufacturing tasteful rims. So I'm not sure how that really fits in here, although, if you were to say to each their own about some people liking them and some not, sure, I agree.

Cool. Not sure how that's relevant to what I said.

To be honest, you're the one missing the point. No one mentioned how bad they look, or how bad the car looks, so for you to keep mentioning it has little relevance to the actual point.

It's relevant to what you said since you did in fact bring up that Rotiforms are not known for quality or authenticity. I just wanted to let you know that I understood that and I'm not fanboying the brand.

@Custom878 and @SVX implied that Rotas are distasteful. Therefore they are feeling negatively on how those cars were modified.

To each their own, what? They aren't designing and manufacturing tasteful rims, so I'm not sure how that really fits in here.

:confused:

Not too sure what you mean, can't tell if your agreeing or not. My reply fit's in, as unless I'm mistaken this whole discussion has been about rims, unless I wrote something different. Besides I just felt like giving my 2 cents on what my opinion of tasteful is, that's all really :cheers:. Ill leave it at that to keep it from descended too off topic (that and I'll just ramble on anyway lol).

It's relevant to what you said since you did in fact bring up that Rotiforms are not known for quality or authenticity. I just wanted to let you know that I understood that and I'm not fanboying the brand.
Ah, so continuing to keep saying the cars look good is relevant to my point that they aren't making tasteful rims, but more rather just stealing designs? Gotcha.

Ah, so continuing to keep saying the cars look good is relevant to my point that they aren't making tasteful rims, but more rather just stealing designs? Gotcha.
The fact that Rotiform steals designs from other manufacturers does nothing to decrease the tastefulness factor for me, as both the cars I posted look remarkable with them on, and not cheap or stupid.

I don't know what you think you are accomplishing with that sarcasm, though.

The fact that Rotiform steals designs from other manufacturers does nothing to decrease the tastefulness factor for me, as bot the cars I posted look remarkable with them on, and not cheap or stupid.
You keep mentioning things that I've not said. Never change, Turbo. Never change.

You keep mentioning things that not one person has said. Never change, Turbo. Never change.
I think it's time that you move on. There's really no point in us continuing to bicker about whether Rotiforms are tasteful or not, or what's relevant and what isn't. This thread is the space for people to share cars that they feel are tasteful, not a platform for argument.

Just a thought.

I think it's time that you move on. There's really no point in us continuing to bicker about whether Rotiforms are tasteful or not, or what's relevant and what isn't. This thread is the space for people to share cars that they feel are tasteful, not a platform for argument.

Just a thought.
:lol: You're replying to me, why would I move on? Stop assigning your own issues to someone else. Whatever the case, I have no issue with the discussion. Also, I've not once mentioned Rotiforms.

Latest Posts

Back