Tasteful Modifications Thread

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 6,666 comments
What do you suppose it makes you look like to drop into a thread to only contribute with a complaint?
Someone expressing an opinion. But then that's not the only thing that was done.

Actually, it was, as the post included the opinion that a particular Honda Civic is tastefully modified. Full disclosure: I don't agree with this opinion but disagreeing doesn't itself constitute an attack.

This is the extent of my contribution at this time, without submitting that which I believe to be modified tastefully, and without concern for how that may make me look.

Fine, if yous wanna see a tastefully modified car that's more than just lowered and different rims, check this out. This is a 1992 Venturi 400 GT Trophy race car that was converted into a road car. Powered by a twin-turbo V6 making 408hp. Certainly not something you see every day.

1994-Venturi-400-GT-RM-Sothebys-Front-Three-Quarters.jpg

upload_2020-4-17_18-12-27.png

Fine, if yous wanna see a tastefully modified car that's more than just lowered and different rims, check this out. This is a 1992 Venturi 400 GT Trophy race car that was converted into a road car. Powered by a twin-turbo V6 making 408hp. Certainly not something you see every day.

1994-Venturi-400-GT-RM-Sothebys-Front-Three-Quarters.jpg

View attachment 911667
It's a French F40.

This 1972 Alfa Romeo Giulia Super was once a police car, but was converted back to road use and is V6-swapped.

6F4BAC14-3EEC-4AA6-9DF1-4A842036FED5.jpeg

18F938DD-5F1A-42BB-ADAC-B1BF6FA6AF8C.jpeg

4AD7651C-92CE-4D91-A2A9-B7F98F378930.jpeg

2EE9AFA6-1F56-4DA9-8850-C848B79F7D64.jpeg

F120083E-EA99-4B1A-AACA-7179580D7206.jpeg

And here’s this Evo II. I tell ya hwhat, Indonesians tend to modify Japanese cars quite nicely.

9330C7BF-815C-4DED-9DB7-F9504226F47C.jpeg

FA5210ED-9AF9-4237-A178-429E899E0F9F.jpeg

847A47A8-321A-47C0-B630-8A0711AE5A34.jpeg

FB661C07-99C9-45EB-A2C8-E4D8ECCE1DF1.jpeg

F3684AF9-158F-4A8A-9AC8-F5152E23015C.jpeg

Someone expressing an opinion. But then that's not the only thing that was done.

Actually, it was, as the post included the opinion that a particular Honda Civic is tastefully modified. Full disclosure: I don't agree with this opinion but disagreeing doesn't itself constitute an attack.

This is the extent of my contribution at this time, without submitting that which I believe to be modified tastefully, and without concern for how that may make me look.

giphy.gif

If it's anything like what happens when 80s and 90s Camaros go through similar treatment, that Falcon definitely has the crappiest six cylinder available when the car was new.

PSA: people who complain about tastefully lowered cars with wheels as being boring probably have never changed anything than oil. If they even own a car.

This isn't the Exciting Modifications Thread

accord (3).jpg

mirage.jpg

civic (3).jpg

So Boring™

I thought about saying "car-centric" but decided to focus on the subforum we're in. I am one to say they're boring, because they are (not asking for anything wild by the way), and I've done far more than oil changes. Funny enough, I haven't done one on my personal car but that's because it's been a restoration/modification project since I got it.

To add a little more, I can only guess that this thread has become a "lowered on wheels" theme was because anything more could and sometimes did result in disagreement or told to post in another thread. But it's discussion and that's fine, we should promote talking about what we post. Better to talk about the tastefulness of modifications than to be an Instagram page.

Last edited:
To add a little more, I can only guess that this thread has become a "lowered on wheels" theme was because anything more could and sometimes did result in disagreement or told to post in another thread. But it's discussion and that's fine, we should promote talking about what we post. Better to talk about the tastefulness of modifications than to be an Instagram page.

There's a difference between discussion and just complaining without posting what you feel is actually better *cough Sage*. Even I posted something. It's not hard?

Because certain members feel bored by tastefully modified cars that are only lowered and have different rims, those cars should not be posted anymore. Got it.

lol throwing gas on a fire that was put out over a week ago
It's a recurring fire at this point.

Look I get both sides of the argument. However, I honestly feel like this thread is done. It's annoying to get a notification that leads to nothing but complaint posts. It's also annoying seeing the same modifications over and over again.

lol throwing gas on a fire that was put out over a week ago

As THRT said, not like this is the only time it's flared up.. just sick of @GranTurNismo posting good stuff, for it to get 'yuck it's only wheels and suspension'. It annoys me mostly because any car I like, or own would apparently never be tasteful. because anything more than that is 'boring'.

@SVX got anymore on that Accord? That's right up my alley.

Found it in a Accord group, owner is Trevor Miller.

60114149_2206835872703828_296215794096799744_o.jpg

41667188_1871072429613509_6551509904631267328_o.jpg

SVX
It annoys me mostly because any car I like, or own would apparently never be tasteful. because anything more than that is 'boring'.

This is the reason I stopped posting here and in the Muscle cars, hot rods, etc Thread. It's easier to just enjoy them on your own than to put up with dead-end criticisms.

I'm not sure what the correlation is between liking/disliking something and owning a car and/or being able to work on one yourself.
It's an attempt one who can't tolerate criticism employs to shut down said criticism by attacking the critic, asserting that one can't have an opinion on the visual without first possessing extensive knowledge of the mechanical.

Sample:

Person A
That car is too low for my liking.
Person B
Explain ackerman.
Person A
Person B
That's what I thought, noob. Go back to making vroom vroom noises while you push your plastic cars around your bedroom floor.
It's really, really, really, really petty anyway, but the strange thing is that, in all likelihood, the criticism isn't of Person B's own handiwork, rather someone else's that Person B happens to appreciate.

Plus, like I said, it's a personal attack when the criticism that prompted it was not.

It's an attempt one who can't tolerate criticism employs to shut down said criticism by attacking the critic, asserting that one can't have an opinion on the visual without first possessing extensive knowledge of the mechanical.

Sample:

It's really, really, really, really petty anyway, but the strange thing is that, in all likelihood, the criticism isn't of Person B's own handiwork, rather someone else's that Person B happens to appreciate.

Plus, like I said, it's a personal attack when the criticism that prompted it was not.

Do I have to own a car and be knowledgeable about the mechanical side of things before I comment, or is it one or the other? I definitely don't own a car so... Just want to make sure before my opinion accidentally hurts someone's feelings. I'm Asking for a friend.

Do I have to own a car and be knowledgeable about the mechanical side of things before I comment, or is it one or the other? I definitely don't own a car so... Just want to make sure before my opinion accidentally hurts someone's feelings. I'm Asking for a friend.
That's where things get a little hazy, since there isn't actually any standardized measure and instead the requirements are dependant upon the degree to which one can't tolerate criticism.

In some cases, having a license and knowing that rotating a bolt/nut counter-clockwise usually loosens it is enough to get you a pass.
Other times, you may need to have a a certain amount of driving experience across multiple vehicle classes, demonstrate welding proficiency and be no less than 170cm (about 67 inches) tall. And then there are those circumstances in which you will need to meet certain requirements for varying adjective intensity when expressing your opinion.

Really what we need is for human civilization to function in a manner similar to Reddit, where people fit neatly into predetermined echo chambers and when threatened by a conflicting point of view, the occupants of a group may downvote the offender until they can no longer speak, creating a climate of fear and conformity.
Everyone will be trained to not have an original thought and nobody will be interested in anything that everyone else isn't interested in. It would be nearly perfect, what with the absence of conflict.

I say nearly perfect because everyone liking exactly the same thing will result in a society that loses all appreciation for the one example of what used to be referred to as art, and human beings will slowly evolve into amorphous blobs that slosh from point to point because nobody has a spine.

On the way there, everyone will have found a need for an emotional support animal, which was determined would be a giraffe. Once we're in blob form, the giraffes will effortly rise up, first enslaving us and then hunting us for sport, having realized that we can't accomplish much as blobs. The few of us who remain will be kept in jars on shelves in the homes of the giraffes until the human race eventually ceases to exist.

Or people could just grow a pair.

That's where things get a little hazy, since there isn't actually any standardized measure and instead the requirements are dependant upon the degree to which one can't tolerate criticism.

In some cases, having a license and knowing that rotating a bolt/nut counter-clockwise usually loosens it is enough to get you a pass.
Other times, you may need to have a a certain amount of driving experience across multiple vehicle classes, demonstrate welding proficiency and be no less than 170cm (about 67 inches) tall. And then there are those circumstances in which you will need to meet certain requirements for varying adjective intensity when expressing your opinion.

Really what we need is for human civilization to function in a manner similar to Reddit, where people fit neatly into predetermined echo chambers and when threatened by a conflicting point of view, the occupants of a group may downvote the offender until they can no longer speak, creating a climate of fear and conformity.
Everyone will be trained to not have an original thought and nobody will be interested in anything that everyone else isn't interested in. It would be nearly perfect, what with the absence of conflict.

I say nearly perfect because everyone liking exactly the same thing will result in a society that loses all appreciation for the one example of what used to be referred to as art, and human beings will slowly evolve into amorphous blobs that slosh from point to point because nobody has a spine.

On the way there, everyone will have found a need for an emotional support animal, which was determined would be a giraffe. Once we're in blob form, the giraffes will effortly rise up, first enslaving us and then hunting us for sport, having realized that we can't accomplish much as blobs. The few of us who remain will be kept in jars on shelves in the homes of the giraffes until the human race eventually ceases to exist.

Or people could just grow a pair.

fzPJ.gif

I'm not sure what the correlation is between liking/disliking something and owning a car and/or being able to work on one yourself.

Wasn't so much of a slight at working on a car, but the fact that people downplay suspension and wheels like you can go to Walmart and by the kit off the shelf. People with experience of modifying a car know that even wheels and suspension, tyre sizing requires homework in itself - even more so when you get to period correct modifications. I guess as someone who has had to research what I need to do to make something look good 'boringly' just appreciates that you can't take a good set of wheels and lowering for granted. Hence where it came in that the people who complain about it don't even know the first step of doing any kind of modifications to their car? I mean of course you can throw your wallet at the car and make something good overnight, but quite a lot of these cars are like that because that's all they can do.

tl;dr- what I was trying to say is don't call something boring when you haven't even done it yourself.

Maybe there needs to be another variant of a variant of a variant of thread called the 'Simple Modifications Thread' where people can stop bringing it up?

Latest Posts

Back