Team GTPlanet.net has been created for SETI@Home!

Pako
Not to bring up old threads, but this could be really cool if more members would step up and contribute. :)

No kidding. I've been testing BIONC for months now and no one has yet to convert over to that project that is on the team. I'd like to see the team move over to the new project as it has become increasily more stable as of late.

SETI@Home BIONC
Team GTPlanet on BIONC

I've updated the team page on my site(currently being redesigned/old version still online) as well.

When I get time I plan to reupdate the first post in this thread.

I joined up. I wanted to try this or folding, and this looks cooler.

My Uncle had a SETI@Home running on his Quad-Xeon Workstation in his office at Intel. 👍 He now has it running on a P4 3.4EE.

Is it bad for my CPU to be running at 100% for such a prolonged period of time like this?

Event Horizon
I joined up. I wanted to try this or folding, and this looks cooler.

My Uncle had a SETI@Home running on his Quad-Xeon Workstation in his office at Intel. 👍 He now has it running on a P4 3.4EE.

Is it bad for my CPU to be running at 100% for such a prolonged period of time like this?

Nice! Your Uncle has some horse power for sure! As far as damaging your CPU, with proper cooling, there shouldn't be a problem.....however, prolonged use of anything will result in a shorter life span. The question is whether or not the life span will be longer than the useful life of the machine. I would think that the usefulness of the machine would end long before it's life would end.

Cheers

Joined 👍

I've had SETI installed for a while, but haven't run it in ages. I'm not sure my stats are correct but never mind.

1753 hours...hmmm and 73 hours per unit :lol: , I'll see if I can reduce that per unit time a bit.

Pako
Nice! Your Uncle has some horse power for sure! As far as damaging your CPU, with proper cooling, there shouldn't be a problem.....however, prolonged use of anything will result in a shorter life span. The question is whether or not the life span will be longer than the useful life of the machine. I would think that the usefulness of the machine would end long before it's life would end.

Cheers
Well, there is a DEFINATE increase in heat with 100% CPU load all night. My CPU temp was sustained at 53C and after stopping it, it is down to 48C.

Stupid Question: :dunce:

Why is CPU time currently 3.5 hours but total computer time is 0h 00m -0.1s? Does this get updated when each unit is completed (coming up on 53% done)?

TB
Stupid Question: :dunce:

Why is CPU time currently 3.5 hours but total computer time is 0h 00m -0.1s? Does this get updated when each unit is completed (coming up on 53% done)?

Yes :) , it only updates the server when it has finished a unit. You don't need to have a connection at all whilst its processing.

I'm confused at my 73 hours per unit stat :lol: I could work it out on paper quicker...this one I'm doing now should take about 5 hours

Tacet_Blue
I'm confused at my 73 hours per unit stat :lol: I could work it out on paper quicker...this one I'm doing now should take about 5 hours
That does sound a bit long :lol: I did 4 last night in 17 hours 👍

I thought this thread was worth a bump :)

Still only 17 members out of the thousands that visit here :grumpy:

I've got my unit time down to 4-5 hours so its bringing my average down from 73 to around 60.

I'm not sure how often the team page updates, because I've got 35 units now and it shows me at 28 :odd:

Tacet_Blue
I thought this thread was worth a bump :)

Still only 17 members out of the thousands that visit here :grumpy:

I've got my unit time down to 4-5 hours so its bringing my average down from 73 to around 60.

I'm not sure how often the team page updates, because I've got 35 units now and it shows me at 28 :odd:

Unless I update it manually, it doesn't update more than once a day, I believe.

Still though, I'd rather that newer members simply create an account(and members that have been on the team awhile port their accounts over if possible) on the BIONC version of the team since it's unlikely that your units will transfer over once the original project ends unless Berkley decides to do another "porting over".

Although, I really would like the team to grow larger than 17 members because right now GilesGuthrie is the only reason that the team has so many units that it currently does.

As of October 10, 2004 I currently have 1003.49 credits under the BIONC Project. Mind you, this is less than four months worth of work and almost four times that of what I earned under the original project(290 workunit credits).

I'd join with my 7 computers in this house, but I'd much rather Fold. A much more useful cause, atleast in my book, over searching for aliens. :)

January 7, 2005 10:00 pm:
seti1fy.jpg

Thirty-five hours later (I knew the stats would go up, but I didn't think that much that fast):
seti18ye.jpg

gt4005
I've joined your team. Hopefully the Boinc Seti community here is much more better han in Germany!

Happy Vollgascrunching! :D

I haven't seen this thread in ages... I'd all but given up hope on anyone else joining the team. TB is pretty much carrying us these days as he has the most computers contributing.

It's great to see that there still is some interest in SETI@Home!

Matrixhasu77
TB is pretty much carrying us these days as he has the most computers contributing.

:)

I am extending a challenge to everyone. CATCH ME IF YOU CAN!!! :lol:

Welcome aboard, explorers.

Stat update:
seti5oy.jpg

Yup. Don't know what was going on before.

*edit*
How exactly does "goto blank screen" help your processing time? What does it actually do?

DQuaN
Yup. Don't know what was going on before.

*edit*
How exactly does "goto blank screen" help your processing time? What does it actually do?

By setting your screensaver to "blank screen", you effectively reduce the load on your cpu/graphics card because the program does not have to render those fancy graphics you see while it is analyzing the workunit.

I usually set it to blank screen after 1 minute because I do not even use a screensaver anyway.

I'm confused. What's the point of SETI? To contact aliens? What's there to do?

I am considering joining this because I once did SETI@Home, but with some of the more 3D intense games RCT3 and Sims 2 I find my system needs a good reboot after playing or the next time I play will have a lot of lag. Will SETI@Home cause a general drain on my system to the point that my first time playing will have lag or will running a blank screen keep everything calmed down?

FoolKiller
I am considering joining this because I once did SETI@Home, but with some of the more 3D intense games RCT3 and Sims 2 I find my system needs a good reboot after playing or the next time I play will have a lot of lag. Will SETI@Home cause a general drain on my system to the point that my first time playing will have lag or will running a blank screen keep everything calmed down?

Actually, I play games all the time with my system. What I usually do is kill SETI@Home that way it isn't even running when I'm playing games or doing something processor intensive.

Running the program in "blank screen" does nothing for everyday performance. It only speeds of workunit analysis when your system is in screensaver mode.

I joined.
Go team GTP! w00t!

...I'll show myself out.

Edit: I can;t seem to get any work done, my connction never seems to work, it just says "BOINC is currntly suspened"

I just found BOINC Online Schedulers. It is customizable so you can have it shown only the status of the projects you have BOINC attached to.

boincschedulers.php

You set a few options, and it generates an image accordingly. It is intended to be used as a forum sig, I believe.

Hi guys just wondering which optimised clients you're using?

I'm using Crunch3r's Seti client and his optimised Boinc client.

Back