The 2020 George Floyd/BLM/Police Brutality Protests Discussion Thread

What's the take-home here, riot anyway? The idea that the people responsible are being held accountable probably OUGHT to avoid people tipping over cars and lighting stuff on fire shouldn't it?
The point is that what happened to Tyre Nichols is not just wrong, but likely horrific since they've arrested the officers involved before releasing the video. People will, and most likely should be outraged. It still needs to be protested.

What's the take-home here, riot anyway? The idea that the people responsible are being held accountable probably OUGHT to avoid people tipping over cars and lighting stuff on fire shouldn't it?
I don't think outrage means rioting. Outrage may mean rioting, sure, but outrage is also what's driving change. I don't think--certainly I don't want to think--that it's the rioting that's the primary factor in the changes that are being made. The outrage--ideally wholly absent rioting because those riots absolutely do cast a shadow on the calls for change--shouldn't let up when there's still a convention where cops who violate rights do escape consequences and where that convention does nothing to put an end to cops violating rights.

I'm not sure the change is there that people think there is. I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that had the officers been white, they'd merely be on "administrative leave" while they conducted "an investigation."

But ya, rioting isn't going to do anything. Protesting? Sure, that makes sense, but burning the city down? That's rarely the answer. Hopefully, the people looking to capitalize on something to get up to no good are few and far between so the people who legitimately want to protest can get their message out.

I think what the Tyre Nichols incident does show is that it's a bit less of a racial thing and more of an authority thing and bad cop thing. It doesn't matter the race of the person, if they get drunk on power and authority, they're probably going to abuse it and as they get away with more and more stuff, it's only going to get worse. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this was the first incident for any of those officers with regards to way overstepping the line.

The point is that what happened to Tyre Nichols is not just wrong, but likely horrific since they've arrested the officers involved before releasing the video. People will, and most likely should be outraged. It still needs to be protested.

In the wake of riots, if I'm in charge of how this gets delivered to the public, I'm definitely underscoring that the officers have been charged. Doing that before the video is released may save lives. I'm not sure why people are complaining about this practice.

In the wake of riots, if I'm in charge of how this gets delivered to the public, I'm definitely underscoring that the officers have been charged. Doing that before the video is released may save lives. I'm not sure why people are complaining about this practice.
People aren’t complaining that the officers were arrested, or even that the arrests came before the release of the video. They’re simply saying the arrests should not stop people from being outraged by what they see, and they still need to protest violence by police.

People aren’t complaining that the officers were arrested, or even that the arrests came before the release of the video.

That is literally what's being complained about: "They are attempting to remove the justification for public outrage. Don't let them"

"They" are indeed attempting to remove some amount of justification for public outrage - they're likely doing it to prevent riots. If some reduction in justification for outrage exists, good, let's let that be the case. I'm glad the officers were arrested, and if I were doing it, this is the order I'd do it in. I don't see why we're complaining about it.

Last edited:
No one is complaining about the officers being arrested. No one is complaining that the arrests came before the release of the video to help curb any violence. No one is complaining about anything. The point being made in that tweet is that outrage is still justified and protests are still necessary, even though the offending officers have already been arrested.

They’re simply saying the arrests should not stop people from being outraged by what they see, and they still need to protest violence by police.
I'll just nitpick this one thing that I don't agree on. They didn't say that. They said they are attempting to remove the justification for outrage. What you said they said makes sense. What they actually said jumps the gun and draws conclusions on why they did what they did.

Damn, that video was pretty brutal and I say this as someone who's pretty desensitized to violence and messed up videos.

Damn, that video was pretty brutal and I say this as someone who's pretty desensitized to violence and messed up videos.
I've watched plenty of wartime footage from various conflicts, so I'm somewhat desensitized, but after reading various but consistent descriptions of what happened to Tyre Nichols, I can say I have zero desire to watch the footage. Brutal doesn't begin to describe it, and disgusting doesn't begin to describe the actions or behavior of the officers.

I still don't get how people look at incidents like this, and other incidents of (mostly black) people having their rights violated by the people who swore to protect them, and then say that they don't understand why public trust in American police is so low. Well, I can at least make educated guesses.

I'm not sure the change is there that people think there is. I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that had the officers been white, they'd merely be on "administrative leave" while they conducted "an investigation."

But ya, rioting isn't going to do anything. Protesting? Sure, that makes sense, but burning the city down? That's rarely the answer. Hopefully, the people looking to capitalize on something to get up to no good are few and far between so the people who legitimately want to protest can get their message out.

I think what the Tyre Nichols incident does show is that it's a bit less of a racial thing and more of an authority thing and bad cop thing. It doesn't matter the race of the person, if they get drunk on power and authority, they're probably going to abuse it and as they get away with more and more stuff, it's only going to get worse. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this was the first incident for any of those officers with regards to way overstepping the line.
I feel that’s what does still make it equally about race and authority. Plus, why this incident being the “blueprint”, when it should have been the Rodney King incident being the blueprint nationwide? Or any incident before that.
I e seen it Time and again
Also, outrage, to me, doesn’t mean it‘s the go button for rioting.

I've been shaking my head for years, but come on:

US President Joe Biden says the image of America is at stake over tyre Nichols case.

So, this one case.

No one is complaining about anything. The point being made in that tweet is that outrage is still justified and protests are still necessary, even though the offending officers have already been arrested.

They are literally complaining about releasing the video after announcing that the officers have been charged - claiming that it was done to take away justification for outrage. They say "don't let them". I say let them, I hope it prevents some riots.

Last edited:
Please share. I haven't been looking for those and I'd like to see the hoops people are contorting themselves through.

I've seen a few others, including one mouth breather who invoked mainstream media as being part of why these abuses occur, but it's harder to remember who replied to or retweeted what than it is to remember who originally posted something.

This is one of those times having a feed to scroll through would be useful. I expect there to be a lot more screenshots and replies tomorrow.

Yeeeaahh, being on the side of cops deciding to be judge, jury, & literally executioner because you don’t comply is a gigantic L take.

Someone tell Nick to sit this one out. There’s gonna be an IQ requirement to participate and defending the police here ain’t meeting the bar.

6DB2FABB-F7D8-4DBD-B9FC-3AD5ED29F91A.jpeg

This is really, really concerning.

Amid soaring crime, Memphis cops lowered the bar for hiring

The department offered new recruits $15,000 signing bonuses and $10,000 relocation allowances while phasing out requirements to have either college credits, military service or previous police work. All that’s now required is two years’ work experience — any work experience. The department also sought state waivers to hire applicants with criminal records. And the police academy even dropped timing requirements on physical fitness drills and removed running entirely because too many people were failing.

“I asked them what made you want to be the police and they’ll be honest — they’ll tell you it’s strictly about the money,” Davis said, adding that many recruits would ask the minimum time they would actually have to serve to keep the bonus money. “It’s not a career for them like it was to us. It’s just a job.”

I said before that I always found it concerning that the wrong type of people want to be Police...people with authority complexes. This might be worse...just doing it for the money.

We got a bad situation in the US with regards to Police and I can only see it getting worse in a spiraling nature from here...lower recruitment begots staffing shortages begots lower quality Police begots more crime begots sloppier policing/excessive force incidents begots more pressure on police begots lower recruitment...

Something needs to break the cycle. Why are we at this point? I think it would be helpful to do some comprehensive studies to answer this question.

"Only with the release of an internal surveillance video recorded by a correctional officer did what happened to Mitchell begin to come to light, according to Jon Goldfarb, a lawyer representing Mitchell’s family. That correctional officer was later fired by the sheriff’s department, according to Goldfarb."

Last edited:
Back