The 5 Reasons 2017 Will Be the Best Year for Sim Racing Yet

Still no true arcade game... Something like Ridge Racer type 4, F Zero or Burnout. Unfortunately, I don't like Driveclub and FH3 feels very repetitive. I miss so much the time of arcade games. Today, almost every racing game take itself too seriously. That's why FH3 is a critical success.
I'm still having a blast with Trackmania Turbo

Was with you most of the way, until the last part... I have to wholeheartedly disagree w/ your opinion. I believe GTS will be the fastest selling GT of all time.

:gtplanet:

I don't know about that. It will outsell the other racing games for sure but some people are worried about missing single player. I think we have only seen 5 tracks or something. I know GT Sport won't be GT7 Prologue but from what we have seen so far, i could be a Prologue title after all. Polyphony has to announce some more tracks and features, like single player career.

And after that is said and done, the game has to deliver in terms of driving physics, AI, FFB... this will be tough. PCars 2 will most likely feature an epic career mode with everything motorsport has to offer, like the first one did. I'm looking for endurance races, championships, realistic grids like GT3, dynamic weather and daytime changes, all of that. We already know GT Sport won't have some of these features. So we have to wait and see if this game really lives up to it's name.

I don't know about that. It will outsell the other racing games for sure but some people are worried about missing single player. I think we have only seen 5 tracks or something. I know GT Sport won't be GT7 Prologue but from what we have seen so far, i could be a Prologue title after all. Polyphony has to announce some more tracks and features, like single player career.

And after that is said and done, the game has to deliver in terms of driving physics, AI, FFB... this will be tough. PCars 2 will most likely feature an epic career mode with everything motorsport has to offer, like the first one did. I'm looking for endurance races, championships, realistic grids like GT3, dynamic weather and daytime changes, all of that. We already know GT Sport won't have some of these features. So we have to wait and see if this game really lives up to it's name.
This is my same opinion too... the lack of the offline career (even if the career was worst in GT 5/6 thanthe amazing one in GT 3/4) and the gameplay heavily based on multiplayer with esport competitive play (not everybody likes it) will make GTS to sell less than GT6 too i guess...

Ridge Racer 4 and F-Zero are both just average ho hum arcade racers to me, so pretty much any arcade racing games compare well to them IMO. I honestly don't see what's special about either of them in this day and age. F-Zero was cool 20 odd years ago, but since then there's been eleventy bajillion futuristic flying racing games released that are as good or better, and even when RR4 came out, I couldn't see for the life of me why anyone was even talking about it. It was pretty dull even when it was new. That's just my opinion though, which is why I consider a lot of the indie games on PSN better than those old games.

Just a thought though, but if an 18 year old arcade racing game is your favourite game ever, just play it on an emulator, and then you don't need a modern version of it.
As an RR fan i thought RR4 was pretty rubbish.

Was with you most of the way, until the last part... I have to wholeheartedly disagree w/ your opinion. I believe GTS will be the fastest selling GT of all time.

:gtplanet:
I don't see this happening at all unless all previous GT games sold slowly which i don't believe GT5 did. I feel GTS will be a flop, not in sales, but in terms of how it's viewed. The last 2 GTs did a lot of damage, though people have short memories and are easy to pitch to. My mate said GTS looked amazing and is planning on getting it. He based this on a trailer in a shop. This was a friend who was frustrated by not being able to see other cars online in GT.

He's not so excited now that i pointed out most stuff he will see will be on PS4 PRO and GTS is online focused. If customers dont do their homework and realise GTS is basically a prologue (regardless of Kazs claims it could be called GT7 ) then this could really do serious damage to the franchise imo.

Not gonna lie, a part of me died a little reading that.

I'm not going to bore you by explaining why I love those games, but I will answer your last point there. You enjoy sim racing, right? Why didn't you just stop at rFactor? Somebody who doesn't understand/appreciate sim racing might ask you that. And you might respond that while rFactor might have been great ten years ago, technological advancements and so on mean that we can achieve a more accurate simulation today, and that's why you're excited for new titles.

Although you can't see it in the case of arcade racers, the same is true of all games and all genres. Everyone wants more of what they like. They want to see it redone a little differently, maybe a little deeper, with all the benefits that a new generation of hardware can bring. I still go back to R4 and F-Zero GX now and then, and I still love them just as much as I always have. But my mind goes crazy with excitement thinking about what a modern version of those games could achieve. That's what it's all about.

The difference of course being that I've never said rFactor is my all time favourite game. All I said is if RR4 is your favourite game ever, then why not just be happy playing it? As far as I can see, there's been three generations of consoles with countless arcade racers that are way better than the RR games since RR4 came out, so if none of those games are as good as RR4 in your mind, I doubt any game ever will be.

Also, I like arcade racers. Just because I don't think old PS1 arcade racers are the best ever, doesn't mean I don't like the genre. I've got, I think 6 or 7 arcade racers on PS4 alone.

As an RR fan i thought RR4 was pretty rubbish.

Fair enough. I personally thought they were all rubbish, and that was back when I had a PS1 and N64, when those were current consoles. There were some really cool racing games on PS1 and N64, but I just never found the RR series particularly good.

The difference of course being that I've never said rFactor is my all time favourite game. All I said is if RR4 is your favourite game ever, then why not just be happy playing it? As far as I can see, there's been three generations of consoles with countless arcade racers that are way better than the RR games since RR4 came out, so if none of those games are as good as RR4 in your mind, I doubt any game ever will be.

Right, you didn't say that. It was an analogy. The key here is "as far as I can see" and my point was, if you told me your favorite game ever was something old and obscure I wouldn't tell you to just sit there and play it and be satisfied forever because I didn't like it as much as you did.

Right, you didn't say that. It was an analogy. The key here is "as far as I can see" and my point was, if you told me your favorite game ever was something old and obscure I wouldn't tell you to just sit there and play it and be satisfied forever because I didn't like it as much as you did.

If I liked rFactor more than every other sim released since, I would definitely still be playing it, and if I loved it that much, of course I'd be satisfied lol. How many arcade racing games have been released since the 1998 release of RR4? About eleventy bajillion? So if none of them are as good as RR4 in your mind, no game ever will be.

If I liked rFactor more than every other sim released since, I would definitely still be playing it, and if I loved it that much, of course I'd be satisfied lol. How many arcade racing games have been released since the 1998 release of RR4? About eleventy bajillion? So if none of them are as good as RR4 in your mind, no game ever will be.

This has gone on quite a while and I'm clearly not making any headway, so I'll leave it at, uh, I don't agree with what you seem to think I think.

Also, I like arcade racers. Just because I don't think old PS1 arcade racers are the best ever, doesn't mean I don't like the genre. I've got, I think 6 or 7 arcade racers on PS4 alone.

Fair enough. I personally thought they were all rubbish, and that was back when I had a PS1 and N64, when those were current consoles. There were some really cool racing games on PS1 and N64, but I just never found the RR series particularly good.
There certainly were good games on PS1 but RR was the game that got me hyped for PS1 over a year before it came out, RR was a launch title so i had an attachment to it. It was just pure arcade and good fun but pretty much said goodbye to it after RR2, i loved that you could play Galaxin whilst it was loading too. I dont actually remember RR3 at all.

the only thing I would care for now is if genki can get back to making console games after however long it's been

Back