The best GT5 cars according to stormbringer!

Hey seadog, here you go.

Bentley speed 8 vs Mazda 787b (both max tuned)

First of all both cars are great, and almost equally matched. On paper the 787b looks better. More power and less weight. the bentley has more torque (104kgfm vs 78kgfm) .

I'd already tested them in deep forest with following negligible result

787b-------1:00:992
Bentley----1:01:300
Mazda wins by 300ms

Tested them in Tokyo yesterday

Bentley ---1:22:956
787b------1:23:493
The bentley wins by 550ms.

Again the difference is too small to say ones better/faster around a track than the other. One things for sure, these cars can achieve almost identical lap times, so very competitive, even though they are from different classes.

Handling wise, the bentley. It is more agile, dives quicker into corners and is a little forgiving. Exiting corners can be a doozy. that 2nd gear @4-6000rpm.

The Mazda, five gears, is a bit reluctant compared to the bentley. It requires a more precise racing line, unforgiving, you need to anticipate and turn into a corner way before the bentley. Feels like the Mazda has a wider turning radius too, stiffer steering. On the positive the 787b can handle more Gs than the bentley. more grip. That's where it makes up time.

So, id say, The bentley is a better car overall. More consistent around a track. Easier to drive. The 787b requires a bit more driver skill. Both are awesome cars though.

Bentley top speed: 375km/h
787b top speed: 376km/h

Last edited:
stormbringer
Hey seadog, here you go.

First of all both cars are great, and almost equally matched. On paper the 787b looks better. More power and less weight. the bentley has more torque (104kgfm vs 78kgfm) .

Mazda wins by 300ms

Again the difference is too small to say ones better/faster around a track than the other. One things for sure, these cars can achieve almost identical lap times, so very competitive, even though they are from different classes.

Handling wise, the bentley. It is more agile, dives quicker into corners and is a little forgiving. Exiting corners can be a doozy. that 2nd gear @4-6000rpm.

The Mazda, five gears, is a bit reluctant compared to the bentley. It requires a more precise racing line, unforgiving, you need to anticipate and turn into a corner way before the bentley. Feels like the Mazda has a wider turning radius too, stiffer steering. On the positive the 787b can handle more Gs than the bentley. more grip. That's where it makes up time.

So, id say, The bentley is a better car overall. More consistent around a track. Easier to drive. The 787b requires a bit more driver skill. Both are awesome cars though.

It seems as though both of the rotary wonders are as unforgiving their ability to take g's

Hey seadog, here you go.

Mazda wins by 300ms

Stormbringer, thanks for taking the time. I only asked you because I value your opinion after all the work you've put in to this very valuable thread (which in my opinion should be pinned to give people an idea where their money is better spent in the earlier stages).

This was a very handy comparison and has encouraged me to give the Mazda more track time.

I think the thing is once you get a car you like immediately, you tend to stick with that car.... which makes you get used to it and can handle it much better. Then, when you try something unfamiliar, it never compares well because you're simply not used to it.... which is why threads like this are so helpful.

Thanks again. 👍👍👍

No prob seadog, I forgot to include their top speeds. I've edited them in. Thanks for your patience.

I've begun to really like the bentley now. Will be driving it more often.

Enjoy

Hey stormbringer,
I am amazed at how much dedication you have put into these tests. CONGRATULATIONS! I also love this game and I found it very curious that you test your cars at deep forest, for me the track with the most fun curves, and also that you use trc1 abs1 for your tests as i do too. Ive been saving to get a wheel so I can improve my times and hopefully compare them to yours! Which car do you enjoy the most to drive at this course? I would choose the Lotus Esprit 350, in which i achieve a time of 1.11.8. You should try it because It's an amazing car to drive. Maybe you can add me to your friends and race together one day! Once again, mad respect for you. Cheers and race on!

Hey, thanks for the positive feedback madcitizen. I'll check out the lotus.
Don't really drive at deep forest anymore. Am pretty sick of it :)
Nowadays I'm really enjoying my ford GT no stripe and viper gts. Usually driving at spa or nordburg. You should definitely get a wheel. It's well worth it if you play GT alot.

Tough finding good drivers online. Im no professional myself, get my ass kicked pretty often.
Looking for clean drivers who enjoy road cars.

I'm usually hosting my own room labeled "road cars only" at nurburgring
Pp 350 to 650
No aids except abs and SH tires.

Join in, let's go for a joyride, share tunes. Maybe even race.

Tough finding good drivers online. Im no professional myself, get my ass kicked pretty often.

Pp 350 to 650

I am not a great driver however I will join in when I see you on.

Pp 350 to 650

First your list is great and combined with all the comments it's just the perfect tool for finding and getting the right cars without spending money on the bad ones.

Second I'd love to race online, never did it before. I just got the game 6 months ago. When do you usually race online?

Thanks. I really dont have a fixed time for when im online. Usually whenever i can.
Add me on your psn and you should be able to see me online and join my room.

Psn: gtp-stormbringer

new DLC car pack 1

Toyota 86GT'12
Dodge challenger srt8 tc
Mitsubishi lancer evo x TC
Nissan GT-R R35 TC
honda CRZ TC
Mazda roadster TC
Mazda RX-7 TC
Nissan skyline R33 TC
Nissan skyline R32 TC
Nissan skyline R34 TC
Subaru impreza TC

I wont test the prius TC because of religious reasons
Wont test the leaf
didnt buy dlc pack 2 because the cars didnt interest me.
Will add DLC pack 3 soon

yawn...im bored. feel like starting up a new GT project.

this thread seems like its outlived its usefullness. i dont really get any feedback anymore.

so what would be a cool informative project to start? ideas?

PP-limited testing of your favourites and maybe suggestions later? (Not necessarily at the Little Geen Hell :sly: )

I'd like to thank you for your work thus far - still got this thread subscribed!

Last edited:
yawn...im bored. feel like starting up a new GT project.

this thread seems like its outlived its usefullness. i dont really get any feedback anymore.

so what would be a cool informative project to start? ideas?

Just needed a bump! I'm new and I'm finding this thread extremely useful. Is this thread not worthy of a sticky? I will frequent it before certain purchases now to see where cars stack up.

Stormbringer, Did you do a test for the HKS CT230r? I love taking that car around the track, I'd be really interested where it stacks up. I looked for it but did not see it.

EDIT: Never mind, found it.

good to hear this threads still being used. And ealirendurs PP based testing idea seems intriguing. but i do see alot of people doing PP testing here. So if i were to do that, id probably be just adding to the sea of information already available. Might get a bit mundane.

I just had an idea though. and its sounding interesting in my head.
quantitative and qualitative analysis of mods (applied 1 by 1) Id sure like to figure out what kind of a difference the flywheel, carbon shafts, rigidity improvement etc makes.
Going to think this through and post a followup.

I see people doing PP-based anecdoting and opinionating, but not so much testing (unless you count Praiano as a one-man data set :D ). There's been a few useful tuning shootouts (I've tested in a couple) and sources, , but they don't always allow the cars people would actually race online or off.

Your idea definitely sounds good, though. Combined with some Route X tests, sounds great. Things like drivetrain components (flywheels, clutch) can [post=4734388]actually affect handling[/post] in some cars, and even the performance isn't always clear cut (e.g. I could get .76 rather than .75 G with a semi-race flywheel/twin clutch vs sports/twin, but presumably the increased shift shock caused it, and dropped some time over the 0-100 and maybe the quarter, but not the mile; it would also be more prone to throttle-off oversteer without different tuning and/or driving to compensate). Rigidity Improvement made that car - MR2 1600 G, IIRC - a nightmare, but that's good elsewhere. Might not apply with stickier tires - ooh, complicated.

I tend to wind up doing more one-off situational stuff for WRS and so forth, rather than proper broader spading and testing, but it's really valuable when it happens. Each data set is valuable of itself (another is the Nordschleife Lap Times thread, for example, partly because it's evolved into aliens pushing cars to the outer limits, in some cases).

Sorry for rambling :dopey:

Last edited:
yeh, there are quite a few car review and pp testing/opinion threads. They are somewhat interesting. I enjoy a well written review here and there, but am pretty sick of everyone trying to write reviews like clarkson. Its more about the jokes and anecdotes than actual info.

thats a cool link youve provided. I see some testing on drivetrain mods has already been done. Will read it through. thanks

added the following stats to the first post

Some Car statistics

There are 1089 cars in GT5

441 FR
220 FF
210 4WD
160 MR
17 RR

Highest PP cars in each category (stock PP)

FR

1-Gillet Vertigo Race car’04----------672
2-Panoz Esperante GTR-1 RC—-------656
3-TVR Cerbera Speed 12’00----------640
4-Corvette C5-R (C5)’00-------------635
5-Nissan Fairlady Z concept LM RC---634

FF

1-Citroen Xsara Rally car’99----------488
2-Honda integra Type R touring------488
3-Honda integra type R RM-----------465
4-Trial Celica SS-II ’03---------------464
5-Honda Mugen Motul civic si RC------450

4WD

1-Suzuki Escudo Dirt trial car’98-------734
2-Bugatti Veyron 16.4-----------------638
3-HKS CT230R’08----------------------609
4-Mines BNR34 Skyline’06--------------592
5-Tommy Kaira ZZII’00----------------583
6-Lambo Aventador-------------------583

MR (excluding F1)

1-Toyota 7 Race car------------------737
2-Toyota Minolta --------------------723
3-Sauber Mercedes C9----------------722
4-Pescarolo C60 Hybride--------------720
5-Peugeot 905 RC--------------------719

RR

1-RUF yellowbird CTR-----------------518
2-RUF RGT’00------------------------490
3-RUF BTR’86------------------------489
4-Alpine A110 1600S-----------------409
5-DMC Delorean S2-------------------401

Just wanted to thank you for the great work you did. I am a newbee, and have been trying to level up, going through the special events now, and the 500pp Trial Mountain Circut was killing me. Ive tried so many cars with no luck, and was getting a little frustrated to say the least. After reading your initial post, I bought a SLS AMG '10. After I tuned it, I had 586pp, so I had to cut the engine power in half to get to the 500pp, but once I did, the first try on the course, I won by 10 seconds. That car is awesome, thanks again!👍

bad cars/buys:
4-veyron (use this car and be ready for highspeed wall scraping, prize car for the turismo championship)

The only thing this is good for is getting the Speed Demon trophy on the S'arthe no chicanes

8-Shelby Cobra 427'66 (not worth moding at all. BAD braking. prize car in Bspec amateur muscle car)

I don't race with this, but it's a decent drifting car once you learn how to handle it.

Hi storm, shouldn't the Merc CLK-GTR RC'98 (rated 9-10-10-11) be equal to the Nissan-R39 Gti RC'98 (rated 12-12-11-12)?
Without the turbos the numbers are just about the same (hp, pp, weight). But still, with the turbo slapped on there, there shouldn`t be such a difference?
It`s my fave car now (i returned to the game after a half year), a tad slower than the LMP/Group C Cars but it feels much better to control. I don`t have the feeling the car is fighting me. With the LMP/Group C Cars i`m always stuggling to keep them in check.

Back