The Cadillac CTS-VR Gentleman's Cup Presented by Derek Speare Designs

• Thread starter Jav
  • 809 comments

Wich should be the track for the last race?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
His setup was posted during last season's Week 13 which was before a lot of updates, but I'm not sure how well it works since the updates, haven't run it since
http://www.racesetups.com/view/821

I still use that as a starting point for my other setups. I'm going to be running the 120 Minute of Thunder (ISR's special event, officially iRacing sanctioned) on June 30th. Watkins Glen Classic Boot. Hoping to get a solid setup put together by then. I'm extremely annoyed that all the "praised" setups at iRacing have some pretty pathetic shock settings. I found some by Jason brown that have front shocks set to 8. I'm not a fan of the blown shock feel, and shock tuning then ARB fine tuning is what made my LRP setup so much better.

@Jav - I'm going to be in East Tampa tomorrow around 1130 or so and have a spare load cell element. I promised my girl a new dresser, so we get to make the journey to Ikea. I know you're not too, too far. :)

d

^ I definitely see that you like the car stiff, I tried it and I felt like I was skipping over bumps a lot and lowered the rebound to about 10 or 12 but left the bump, so far I like it, it's just that the s bend (turns 3 and 4 are really slick) I also experimented with lowering right side Caster to help around every turn but the one left hander, and oddly enough that's my worst corner anyway so I haven't experimented enough with it

I consistently run 53- 54 second laps and my lowest is a 52.8. I'm just not the fastest person. I'm losing most of my time deciding 2nd or 3rd gear going into turn 3 (the left hander) and some time quite literally flying over the hill and then I end up slowing up too much in the next turn

Got some issues here on my iRacing PC; some wierd security problems. If I can't get it sorted, I won't be at todays race :(

with a bit more rear tyre pressure on my Okayama setup i ran in the Caddy Gents races i was able to run 1.48.8 at the Boot but dont think i can run 47s like Dylan was running for fun,may be able to get a few tenths off my PB with a bit more practice before the 30th

@Jav - I'm going to be in East Tampa tomorrow around 1130 or so and have a spare load cell element. I promised my girl a new dresser, so we get to make the journey to Ikea. I know you're not too, too far. :)

d

Thank you Derek I really appreciate it! I won't be able to make it to Tampa today. But thank you for the offer, you are the man!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Race Server is set to go online at 20GMT/4PM US EST! Password - racesafe

Edit: I gave a bunch of you admin rights just in case you need to clear a black flag or DQ during practice. No black flags or DQs will be cleared during the race.

Last edited:
I ran a 51.453 on low fuel and a 52.383 on starting fuel with Eric's setup with a few Camber and caster adjustments and I lowered right side bump stiffness only after balancing front and rear with low fuel. Otherwise it's pretty much the same setup, I average 52-53 now. Is anyone below 50 seconds?

I like the car stiff as opposed to bottoming out under braking and turning everywhere. You may try increasing the bump stop height a couple more clicks. I think they are keeping it off the ground under braking, and depending how you drive it you may be setting down on them too hard.

Jav
Thank you Derek I really appreciate it! I won't be able to make it to Tampa today. But thank you for the offer, you are the man!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Race Server is set to go online at 20GMT/4PM US EST! Password - racesafe

Edit: I gave a bunch of you admin rights just in case you need to clear a black flag or DQ during practice. No black flags or DQs will be cleared during the race.

I figured it was a shot in the dark, but I have spares just in case mine go out!

:)

Sorry for bailing guys. The computer problems I had earlier today are back. :( Most of you probably know, my rig has motion built-in and the software that runs it has started playing up causing the iRacing to freeze momentarily as the hardware disconnects and reconnects.

Thought I had it sorted, obviously not. I'm totally ****ed off with it all at the moment. :banghead: Off to bed.

Third place again.

Guys, we get so little turnout as it is, it doesn't help if you disconnect and give up the first crash you get. :(

This shouldn't happen in iRacing but more importantly in our league since we're racing privately. By the end only 6 people crossed the finishline.

Oh, man that's a bummer Simon, nothing like getting taken out by hardware failure, hope you get it sorted.

I got DQ'ed for not getting repairs done. I had a perfectely fine running car even after I got broadsided. The car ran fine, other then the repair sign in the upper left corner of my screen I didn't know I had too pit, the 4th time by pit row I got black flagged, bummer, I was running very well.

Guys, we get so little turnout as it is, it doesn't help if you disconnect and give up the first crash you get. :(

I didn't disconnect, I got black flagged for not getting repairs done, watched the rest of the race however.

Great racin guys, shame that Jav couldn't race and Derek. Hope to see Jav out next time round and hope to see the rest of you guys out racin again :)

I saw that left, but I mean the rest of the people. It takes away the fun factor.

Actually I think there was only one that disconnected during the race. I think Derek left after the practice.

You would think with 35 people signing up we would get more then 9 - 12 people come race time. Even though I'm running at the back of the pack I am having a blast, this is great experience for me. Thanks everyone, I really enjoy this.

Oh, man that's a bummer Simon, nothing like getting taken out by hardware failure, hope you get it sorted.

I got DQ'ed for not getting repairs done. I had a perfectely fine running car even after I got broadsided. The car ran fine, other then the repair sign in the upper left corner of my screen I didn't know I had too pit, the 4th time by pit row I got black flagged, bummer, I was running very well.

I didn't disconnect, I got black flagged for not getting repairs done, watched the rest of the race however.

You didn't know a meatball flag means mandatory repairs?

You didn't know a meatball flag means mandatory repairs?

Nope, but I got spaghetti-ed :yuck:

I am going to have to find iRacing's flags, I think I know most of them, not the meatball one however. :)

Nope, but I got spaghetti-ed :yuck:

I am going to have to find iRacing's flags, I think I know most of them, not the meatball one however. :)

they call it a meatball flag on acount that it has a orange circle in the middle that looks like a meatball:) i thought i was the meatball when i missed my 1st meatball flag but turns out its just slang for u got mechanical problems that are interferering with the race ie fluid leak parts hangin off that could be a danger to other drivers:)

Green, white, checkered = self explanatory
Yellow = local caution...technically no passing but iRacing does not enforce, could be Protestable maybe
Blue = faster car behind you, advised to let it by when you can NOT ENFORCED

And your meatball flag. Four laps to fix the issue (same as all the other black flag penalties), which means if you have two laps left in the race you can ignore it.

they call it a meatball flag on acount that it has a orange circle in the middle that looks like a meatball:) i thought i was the meatball when i missed my 1st meatball flag but turns out its just slang for u got mechanical problems that are interferering with the race ie fluid leak parts hangin off that could be a danger to other drivers:)

I got the meatball part when Eric brought it up :yuck: but my car was fine, I use the Jimmie Johnson Spotter and he never mentioned even a repair stop let alone leaking fluid, which he will say if you are leaking fluid. My car still ran perfectly straight, no dogleg or anything.

Now I know not to miss the repair flag, if parts are coming off my car then the spotter should tell you otherwise a good running car should be able to run at your own discretion just like in real racing. :)

Green, white, checkered = self explanatory
Yellow = local caution...technically no passing but iRacing does not enforce, could be Protestable maybe
Blue = faster car behind you, advised to let it by when you can NOT ENFORCED

And your meatball flag. Four laps to fix the issue (same as all the other black flag penalties), which means if you have two laps left in the race you can ignore it.

I got them all right except that darn meatball flag, who would have thought. It was my own fault for having ignorance to the rules, I should have been much more diligent in the iRacing rule book. Also to clarify the iRacing rule on the blue flag which some drivers do mistake it ...

iRacing Rule 6.5.
Blue Flag (blue with diagonal yellow stripe) – Indicates faster cars are approaching. This flag is informational only. In all cases, it is the responsibility of the faster car to safely overtake the slower car. It is the responsibility of the slower car to maintain a consistent line. It is strongly recommended that a slower car being lapped makes every reasonable effort to facilitate a safe pass

Hi gents,

I was glad to be out there with some of you today. I had a good time, and thank you for letting me take some laps with you :)

d

I do think that everyone wished you would have stayed and raced with us Derek, you put up some fast times during practice. The results are Here. It is a pleasure to race with one of the Sim industry's biggest innovators.

Last edited:
Third place again.

This shouldn't happen in iRacing but more importantly in our league since we're racing privately. By the end only 6 people crossed the finishline.

I suffered two hardware glitches that caused iRacing to freeze momentarily which in turn caused me to crash (I have no control of the car for the few seconds it takes for the disconnect/reconnect to take place). I had been trying to sort these (USB-related, I think) PC problems all day. The race was over for me and I would have been a hinderance to the other drivers.

I actually did drive around and get repaired on the first occurrence but, after the second time, enough was enough.

I hope you understand the reasons behind me quitting. I don't normally 'rage-quit' but I had a very frustrating day trying to identify and fix this issue. I thought I had but I clearly haven't. :(

Last edited:
I don't think anyone rage quit, We had a DQ, DNS, and a hardware DNF, and I don't know what happened to Paul. It was just unfortunate that that was about half the field.

So is it still pretty much agreed that this car still has serious issues? I just ran an official race and I'm pretty sure I'm eligible for demotion now. Not sure, I quit after a rumble strip destroyed my suspension.

Baseline set on Laguna Seca is downright dangerous. And it wants to cut to full lock on both turns at the corkscrew for whatever reason.

I like the set I used earlier today at Lime Rock, but the car still picks random turns where the rear tires turn to plastic with no change in input.

Sorry guys, I guess I was just frustrated after seeing 35 people signing up and only averaging 10 people per race and some of them quitting on top of that.

I would say it's just practice, Eric. At first I was a mess when driving this behemoth of a car, but now it's pretty manageable. Being fast though is a whole different story...

Back