The damage system in GT5 (update : Mechanical Damage arrived only for online races)

• Thread starter DoctorFouad
  • 1,071 comments
I don´t suck at driving. I do have the first twoe licences completely gold, even the special stages are completely Gold in every difficulty level...and it even did any long time.

The fact is, that you use the feature of crashing through the field automatically, if you have nothing to fear.

Automatically? ... Thats weird. What happend to decency, courtesy, sportsmanship and honour? To me, anyone that crashes up the field delibratly is an immature fool. I think Freud and other psych guys would agree. Abnormal or behavior contrary to the norm is not automatic.
Show some respect to people on this forum fagit,you wanna be disrespectful than direspect your mom's for makin you that way.
Point is that you have to fix your car way to often and it costs you way too much.

Dude. You need a warning or something. You sound like an immature kid though.

Is it not, that I hit the AI with 200 mph + from behind. But I (and million others) use them as a guide line through turns, if they cross your line (or try to push away you). And that is a fact. In comparison to this, I really be careful and respect drivers while racing at online sessions.

Dude. You need a warning or somethinp. You sound like an immature kid though.

How bout you issue a warning to the one that disrespected me first for no reason?I stick up for myself and im the bad one?lol.
I always show outmost respect to everybody unless they disrespect me first which is the case here.Its funny how you overlooked his disrespectful comments but noticed mine,but we all know the reason for that one,lol.

How bout you issue a warning to the one that disrespected me first for no reason?I stick up for myself and im the bad one?lol.
I always show outmost respect to everybody unless they disrespect me first which is the case here.Its funny how you overlooked his disrespectful comments but noticed mine,but we all know the reason for that one,lol.

There's sticking up for yourself, and there's being plain offensive. Not cool dude.

The point is really simple, and this omission is quite glaring.
You, for all practical reasons, need to finish the single player game to get the feature which should be there in complete form, with consequences it brings, from the start.

It's not a debate. It's a fact.

I hope this gets corrected in the patch, as promised. -.-

Dude, let me give you advice I learned when I first got to GTPlanet. If someone offends you..hit 'report'. Simple. Its not worth fighting over the internet. Im sure someone had a pic on GTP about fighting over the internet. Just report. Let the mods handle it. Though.. In your case, you must understand, guys here have played and followed GT5's development extensivly. Chances are they more than you, me. Or anyone. Thats why its a community. Nobody knows everything, but by working it out we can figure things out together on here.

How I earned my Roll Over Trophy - although not quite a full roll over :)

Crash and damage at level 8. I hear that damage gets worse as your A-Spec level goes up. Just a one make race against the AI.
First time I've noticed scuffs on the side of the car (after the first crash in the video)

My wife got her Rollover Trophy at Level 2, during a License Event. 👍

I've noticed scuff damage only once, on the white Hollman Berlinetti you get as a prize for winning one of the events. I kept kissing the same barrier on the Madrid track during the French ASpec race, and noticed the scuffs got (slightly) worse each time it happened during the 3 lap race.

When I race online with my friend damage is very noticeable.

It's because you guys are able to hit each other without any real penalty. That is the problem in GT5's online right now, bumper cars.

When I raced online in IRacing, some guy hit my right side and we both had trouble finishing the race. That, is damage. I don't mind that visually GT5's not as good but mechanically it should be similar. The same hit in GT5 right now wouldn't even make a dent. with

The point is really simple, and this omission is quite glaring.
You, for all practical reasons, need to finish the single player game to get the feature which should be there in complete form, with consequences it brings, from the start.

It's not a debate. It's a fact.

I hope this gets corrected in the patch, as promised. -.-

Hang on, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt based on post history, perhaps I missed something. It's been made clear that there is no evidence of this, a wild rumour that has never been backed up with any kind of supporting evidence.

Can you provide a source or some evidence to back it up because I have found nothing, there certainly has been nothing presented in this thread that confirms this as fact.

Do you realise that by using that term as an insult you have disrespected every member of the gay community by implying that being gay is offensive? Did they disrespect you first?

Maybe he also received a warning, that's neither here or there. The name you used is socially unacceptable, that kind of attack even when provoked would get a reaction anywhere.

My wife got her Rollover Trophy at Level 2, during a License Event. 👍

I've noticed scuff damage only once, on the white Hollman Berlinetti you get as a prize for winning one of the events. I kept kissing the same barrier on the Madrid track during the French ASpec race, and noticed the scuffs got (slightly) worse each time it happened during the 3 lap race.

Am I the only one who is a little disappointed that there is a Rollover Trophy?

Well, I don't have the game yet myself, and frankly, I haven't heard anyone has yet reached level 40 to confirm it, I'm just going by everything I've read so far, just like you. The only official thing is KY's tweet saying "It will come later" to a random guy on level 17. I'm also not sure about "more damage kicks in upon reaching level 20" also, because we've heard confirmations and negations at the same time. Basically, It's a confused mess right now and I'm not sure I buying that leveling up story. Currently, the most plausible theory, It seems to me, is that KY's tweet refers to this patch which is due at the beginning of December, which is supposed to feature some alterations in the damage model. I guess, we still need to wait for anything to be 100% certain and I might got carried away in my previous post, but if it shows to be true, that's just a retarded game-designing decision, as far as I'm concerned.
Also, the fact that we're still debating existence or nonexistence of one of the main game's features, while people have been playing it for more than a week is just pathetic.

Not to be a stick in the mud but if you go to arcade mode (regardless of what level you are), and select the hardest difficulty, then a rally car, you can pretty much smash it up till the doors fall off right there and then.

however if you select a sports car, not much will happen except deformation of body panels - i seriously doubt there will be many cars that arent premium rally cars, that support peices falling off.

Heres some amusing stuff :

http://imgur.com/NevfB.jpg
Looks like i melted them together

http://imgur.com/KMWx9.jpg
This second one is important, if you look just under the headlight on the left, you can see that you can see directly in to the model and see it's basic "chassis" model, if that bumper were to fall off it would look absolutely awful - which is why i am more or less positive that such damage isn't possible, regardless of level.

http://imgur.com/s9hFu.jpg
Even still, the deformation can be quite funky at times - much better than the "metal and texture smear" damage pictures/videos doing the rounds a few months back.

http://imgur.com/FDEr9.jpg
Same gap as seen on the second picture, but close from the side, looks like the panels themselves are textured only on one side, further affirming my assumption that most cars do not support peices falling off.

Just as a side note, even if you get both the doors off on the rally car, theyre still there in internal view, and if you can see a peice of debris from the car in the external view, it dissappears from sight if you switch to internal cam.

I'm currently level 17 so i can't really comment on if hitting level 40 changes the damage modelling the further you advance in level, however i'd be willing to bet it doesn't, the only reason why people arent seeing as much damage early on in the game is because the rally cars require a significant level, and none of the cars within the 1-20 support parts falling off.

Some more damage news (confirmation of how it works..)...from the PSN forums.

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Gran-Turismo/About-Car-Damage/td-p/11961068

You also asked about mechanical damage. I can't say much, but it's not in the game at the moment and your feature request for mechanical damage as an optional feature is under consideration.

What's up with that? Thought Kaz said it was coming shortly, but now reading that it's possible that it may not show up at all? :confused:

All I have to say is HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I told you so a million times it was never an unlocking system and I hope all those who were so deadly serious about believing it was are eating their words in silent shame!

ALSO please UPDATE THIS THREAD TITLE AND FIRST POST WITH THE NEW INFO!

I went to EB Games today and they still had the GT5 demo that was available before the release, and I've gotta say, the damage was ALOT better. Your front end would look pretty messed up after just a crash or two and the deformations and damage was alot more intense. The sparks also looked alot better for whatever reason. I can't seem to understand why PD would decide to make the damage and sparks looks worse for the retail release.

edit: Also there didn't seem to be any pixellation issues with the smoke.

Last edited:
I went to EB Games today and they still had the GT5 demo that was available before the release, and I've gotta say, the damage was ALOT better. Your front end would look pretty messed up after just a crash or two and the deformations and damage was alot more intense. The sparks also looked alot better for whatever reason. I can't seem to understand why PD would decide to make the damage and sparks looks worse for the retail release.

edit: Also there didn't seem to be any pixellation issues with the smoke.

I played the demo too and I noticed this as well.

They made sure the demo didn't show anything about the real game that might make people second guess or cancel pre-orders.

This was a pretty dishonest way of releasing the game.

I played the demo too and I noticed this as well.

They made sure the demo didn't show anything about the real game that might make people second guess or cancel pre-orders.

This was a pretty dishonest way of releasing the game.

Yeah I just don't understand the logic behind taking an aspect of the game and making it worse. They might have a good reason for it, but it seems like they don't wanna say anything and would rather leave people wondering.

I got the "Take your Honda Home" trophy when I smashed up the AI honda with my Evo 6 TM, didn't realise there was a trophy for that until the message popped when I was watching the replay :dunce:

I'm at level 14, so there is more damage now, but it doesn't progress much further than this.

tokyor246damagecivicbac.jpg

tokyor246damagecivicfro.jpg

tokyor246damagecivicevo.jpg

tokyor246damageevo.jpg

Last edited:
Different race, and damage appears to be dynamic :)
Pics taken at different stages of the race, and after different amounts of impacts
caperingperipheryc4evof.jpg

caperingperipheryevoclo.jpg

Last edited:
I'm at level 14, so there is more damage now, but it doesn't progress much further than this.

It doesn't progress at all. I saw damage right from the start and this is how it is. It's just that hitting other cars causes more damage than hitting walls usually. Different events will trigger more damage, you've just done something different to get more damage, not because of your level.

Latest Posts

Back