The Damage Thread - Best Buy Demo, Now Thats More Like It!

• Thread starter Robin
  • 3,122 comments
So you think that the way the metal wrinkles and bends is due to lincensing issues? I find that pretty far fetched...

I can believe that the rules said no passenger compartment damage, or no frame damage but if they allow the hood and fenders to be bend a out of shape and ripped up, I really can't believe the licensing says that it can't happen in a realistic way and must be in the weird zigzag things we saw in teh photos...

Or do you really think the licenses say sommething like that?
What game with licensed cars is more accurate about wrinkles and bends than GT5? if you talk about technical issues wait until the final game, an accurate real-time damage need a lot of tweaking and GT5 cars have a lot more parts and modeling details than the simplier Burnout ones. Possible you can't rip parts like Burnout on licensed cars and we don't know how far will go the damage on the race cars.

I'm sure licenses says something like do not explode parts or broke them into pieces. Again you have all the examples in all the released games and its damage representation: licensed vs fictional damage.

I thought you are pretty unrealistic on your exigences, two years ago people were happy if GT5 could top Forza's damage now that is achieved you demand the best damage in existence on every detail just because is a GT game. Sincerely looks like an excuse to discredit a feature that nobody expected to be as good as it is now.

Last edited:
gives a sense of a "fake" motorsports enthusiast to me.
I mean if you really are a motorsports enthusiasts then I don't think it's very hard to accept the "reality" of motorsports.

many FIA : (F1 / F2 / GT1 / WRC and every kind of motorsports) most World champions have been costed even the lives of true legends like Ayrton Senna because of your "damage barrier" some people have which is truly an unreal "motorsports enthusiast"

But then again this game is going to be played by everyone.
And by liscence rules I don't really think any of the "theories" of the thread replies are true unless you have a "real source" obviously if you don't then don't bother using that to neglect. I mean using words used by "scientists" or writters gives a good sense of someone who isn't really a "real motorsports enthusiast" that actually neglects the "realism of motorsports" and has a "damage barrier"

gives a sense of a "fake" motorsports enthusiast to me.
I mean if you really are a motorsports enthusiasts then I don't think it's very hard to accept the "reality" of motorsports.

many FIA : (F1 / F2 / GT1 / WRC and every kind of motorsports) most World champions have been costed even the lives of true legends like Ayrton Senna because of your "damage barrier" some people have which is truly an unreal "motorsports enthusiast"

But then again this game is going to be played by everyone.
And by liscence rules I don't really think any of the "theories" of the thread replies are true unless you have a "real source" obviously if you don't then don't bother using that to neglect. I mean using words used by "scientists" or writters gives a good sense of someone who isn't really a "real motorsports enthusiast" that actually neglects the "realism of motorsports" and has a "damage barrier"

What is this "damage barrier" ? Are you referring to the idea that some people don't want damage, for fear of losing a race - or the natural fear-factor in real-life where crashing could mean losing and potential injury?

The thing about motorsports is that they're so multi-faceted that it is possible to have different "types" of enthusiast - look at F1; loads of people love it for the strategy, but it's rarely action packed (save a few controversial incidents); then there's things like the Legends cars, which are small, low-power, low weight and generally "lower-level" racing, but there's lots of "action". Then there's the qualifying sessions, 1-lap magic on a preferably empty circuit - the driver and his / her machine vs. the circuit alone. Some watch motorsports simply because their country is represented. This just covers spectators; those who compete all do it for different reasons, too. Most people playing games are "competing" for simple recreation, for example.

Hence, I find it difficult to discern which is the true facet of motorsport that one should be enthusiastic about. Obviously, damage adds to all of these facets, in some way or other, but only in a detrimental way to the desired result.

Can you please, stop including Ayrton Senna in your posts. Death and injury are tragedies that happen in real life motorsports, it take away lives and end careers. Everyone knows that, everyone saw it at least one time or another. But why do you keep bringing that up?

What game with licensed cars is more accurate about wrinkles and bends than GT5?

Here we go again... you are changing the point on me... the point wasn't someone else has done better, the point was licensing is not what's holding GT5 damage back.

Again I ask: Carbon fiber that wrinkles like aluminum - do you think licensing is what's getting in the way of fixing that?

That's been the point all along, not any of these side tangets.

two years ago people were happy if GT5 could top Forza's damage now

Two years is a long time and with time expectations rise.

Sounds to me like you are changing your argument to worm your way out of the situation.

Well then somethings wrong with your hearing ;)

it's not a question of licensing anymore becuase significant damage is being allowed. Even if the safety cage has to be maintained the damage could still be much closer to Burnout Paradise without violating that rule.

The parts of the car we see being damaged are obviously allowed under the licensing or they wouldn't be happening at all. The licensing is not what's keeping the damage from being better quality...

Can you please, stop including Ayrton Senna in your posts. Death and injury are tragedies that happen in real life motorsports, it take away lives and end careers. Everyone knows that, everyone saw it at least one time or another. But why do you keep bringing that up?

read the post you read those are the reasons

I don't have a problem with you questioning the damage implementation. The problem is the death aspect you keep bringing up (and your "real motorsport enthusiasts" elitist talk).

It's just isn't worth using it to compare real life against a game, there's no point to keep debating it over and over again, about how people lost their lives racing and the game does not mirror that.

I apologize in advance if this question has already been asked, does the damage model only apply to my vehicle or does it extend to the ai cars? Do they slow down if we both get damaged? Again, I apologize for not searching all 100+ pages, but just was curious if any one knew.

I apologize in advance if this question has already been asked, does the damage model only apply to my vehicle or does it extend to the ai cars? Do they slow down if we both get damaged? Again, I apologize for not searching all 100+ pages, but just was curious if any one knew.

It applies to all cars on the track.

I don't have a problem with you questioning the damage implementation. The problem is the death aspect you keep bringing up (and your "real motorsport enthusiasts" elitist talk).

It's just isn't worth using it to compare real life against a game, there's no point to keep debating it over and over again, about how people lost their lives racing and the game does not mirror that.

Doesn't matter to and in real life it's still an enormous factor

better look up all my posts :P

I haven't been a regular of this thread (because damage feature is not really an important feature for me)

but has anyone here noticed on the recent GT5 DEMO:

I recently tested it out and

Strange thing i notice...: I hope this is a particularity of the DEMO only...
- Driving the car, i was "testing out" the damage, and notice all sorts of visual (as shown by other video from others) bumper fall off (almost), distorded exhaust pipes etc etc...
- but when i go to view the replay... just like magic, the part of the race where i know i destroyed the Lamborghini, the car is represented as pristine clean and damage free as if i just drove off the lot...

Conclusion, in the demo, you can destroy your car during the in-race part...
but during the replay, the beautiful damage free car will always be shown from start to finish, no matter how hard, no matter how fast you've crashed during the game/play...

Has anyone notice that?!

hopefully the Full game GT5 will not be as such...

screenshot during race:./Then screenshot of lambo during replay:

Notice the difference?

Link toward my post in the DEMO Location Thread:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=4012236#post4012236

:embarrassed: sorry :lol:

i didnt know... like i said, i am not a regular from this Damage thread...

It was news to me when i tried it, and so i was thinking to myself.. how come nobody told me...

how come nobody (from those who have requested Damage so bad, not me) made a big deal out of it??

It was mentioned several times in the Best buy demo thread and a big deal was made but everyone brushed it off to it just being a demo and everything will be all fine when the game hits.

For some reason, i have a feeling that Damage will NOT be shown during replays even in the full GT5 games.

Seems awkward to me, but i dont mind... less than some of you probably...

but then again... how do you do hi-def chaos?? how do you portray damage to be premium quality (for photo session) ??

For that sole reason, i dont think this is going to make it.

just my penny...

It must just be one of the last things they're working on. We saw replay damage in the first ever damage build at GamesCom last year, so I'm sure we'll see it in the full game. That wasn't actually proper damage but instead just parts coming loose and hanging, although I'd still expect this new damage to show in the replays. It would be too ridiculous if it didn't show up.

In the night racing at la sarthe video from gamersyde, you can see the scratch marks present on the Ferrari towards the end of the video, after he hits the viper. I'm sure it'll be in.

From,
Chris.

Last edited:
I guess ill bring this over here:

IMG_2942-2.jpg

NASCAR Stock Cars don't have Windshields that break or shatter, atleast I've never seen one, even with the hood violently flipping up or a car landing it's rear tire in the window. So far it doesn't look as GT5 will have glass damage though, since it would destroy visibility immediately, due to most cars having safety glass nowadays.

From,
Chris.

Nope. Actually, the hood just stayed stationary. Never had the chance to accelerate more than 70+ to see if it will detach; (the time limit was almost up) i was too busy doing burnouts.

I don't think you will be able to total your car in barriers (as in Reality) or loose vital parts (like wheels) meaning game over in the final GT5... it will be required for GT6 ;)

Back