The Damage Thread - Best Buy Demo, Now Thats More Like It!

• Thread starter Robin
  • 3,122 comments
For some reason, i have a feeling that Damage will NOT be shown during replays even in the full GT5 games.

Seems awkward to me, but i dont mind... less than some of you probably...

but then again... how do you do hi-def chaos?? how do you portray damage to be premium quality (for photo session) ??

For that sole reason, i dont think this is going to make it.

just my penny...
There's plenty of promotional images(photomode) and replay trailers showing damage.

I don't think you will be able to total your car in barriers (as in Reality) or loose vital parts (like wheels) meaning game over in the final GT5... it will be required for GT6 ;)

Manufacturers won't allow their cars to stop running.

i just played this at my bestbuy in woodbridge, va and the damage was okay.. i hope they improve it on the final version! i mean, i rear ended the car in front of me going 90mph (corvette sting ray) and his rear bumper (mustang gt 05) just got deformed but his taillights were still working; meanwhile, my front bumper was still attached with little damage (as in it just got bent a little)

i just played this at my bestbuy in woodbridge, va and the damage was okay.. i hope they improve it on the final version! i mean, i rear ended the car in front of me going 90mph (corvette sting ray) and his rear bumper (mustang gt 05) just got deformed but his taillights were still working; meanwhile, my front bumper was still attached with little damage (as in it just got bent a little)

That crash would've ended your race if it had realistic damage. Do you think PD would allow that to happen?

That crash would've ended your race if it had realistic damage. Do you think PD would allow that to happen?

im not expecting my car to get totaled, i was expecting something a little bit more.. i mean, my bumper just got deformed (if you could even call it that) and the other car's bumper just got raised up and the lights still work.. i know its not a demolition derby, but at least have it so the taillights stop working, headlights busted, etc

im not expecting my car to get totaled, i was expecting something a little bit more.. i mean, my bumper just got deformed (if you could even call it that) and the other car's bumper just got raised up and the lights still work.. i know its not a demolition derby, but at least have it so the taillights stop working, headlights busted, etc

I think we have seen broken taillights in another build so I expect that the final game also will include that.

It feels like we have seen many different types of damage in different demos and in the final build PD will put all pieces together:)

edit

Look at 0.41, the right taillight seems to be broken.

[YOUTUBEHD]Ia8P3B33rzs[/YOUTUBEHD]

I think we have seen broken taillights in another build so I expect that the final game also will include that.

It feels like we have seen many different types of damage in different demos and in the final build PD will put all pieces together:)

edit

Look at 0.41, the right taillight seems to be broken.

[YOUTUBEHD]Ia8P3B33rzs[/YOUTUBEHD]

ohh i see.. lol thanks

Whats werd about that Subaru vid is the light unit is perfectly intact, just the light isnt working,
It would be a strange collision that was hard enough for the light to stop working but not hard enough to damage/smash the glass:ill:

Or does this mean we need to replace faulty light bulbs.....
TO THE RUMOUR MILL......

Last edited:
yes, but if the light was truly busted, then the light would not illuminate when he hit the brakes. but yet, it clearly does.

The backfire looks nice coming out, and what looks amazing is when the car turns the water rolls off the opposite direction the car is turning looks so lifelike.

Hey, I'm new to the form, and just made a account, but I am a big GT5 fanboy I guess you can say, but I was wondering if anyone has herd anything about the windshield being able to crack and/or break?? I haven seen or herd anything myself....

I swear that in the visual effects trailer released after E3, where the red 350z smashes into another car and the barrier and almost ends up on it's nose, you can very briefly see the front windowscreen has been cracked. It could just be something else entirely, but it does look like something has happened to the front window.

EDIT: On second thoughts, I think it's just a combination of artifacts and low bitrate.

Last edited:
the same good ol' excuse... Strange that they allows it for brand cars in Grid, TOCA series, RBR, GTR2, Race On, NFS Hot pursuit, etc...

Not production cars, TOCA uses strictly race cars, even if they look like the production theres a number plate or something to make it non production.

Simbin same, only uses Race cars, production cars can only be added via mods so its not official.

If we cant demolish the car until its lifeless, at least they can give us the freedom\privilege to use the Ignition as well as shut the car down, theres nothing like parking ina tunnel and starting a car up, magic.

Go tell that to Turn10, in FM3 tail lights never stop working, no matter how much accidents you have, they always work. Some cars the rear bumpers can fall off as well as the front, but that is relegated to certain cars. What is everyone's fetish with car damage? Car manufacturers made sure that no matter how much you want it, it will never go beyond making your car slower and looking like it's got some mean dents save for a bumper or two falling off. Looking for doors falling off, not going to happen on production cars as far as I'm privy. I don't mind damage but I prefer that efforts be spent making the game excellent to play. Looking at the demo damage and the damage models shown at E3 and GamesCom it's different. Very different anyone remembering the Evo all bent up and lights out of place, these "new" demo at Target look completely different. Oh well, can't wait to have it, closing in on one month left...just tingling with anticipation.

GT5 is still in its infancy when compared to Codemasters damage model... (I just talk about the damage model, ok... )... see for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3OWljOroD4&feature=player_embedded#!

One thing I have never liked about Codemasters and their crashes is all of the unnecessary debris. If you look at all of those crashes, each has a crazy amount of triangular 2d pieces flying all over the place that just look like paint chips to me. I think if you are trying to make things look more realistic don't cut corners imo it makes things look less realistic. If something is flying through the air make it come from somewhere. I am sure Gran Turismo does this but if they do it isn't as drastic as what Codemasters does. I actually think the way the cars in Gran Turismo 5 act with each other when hit, looks more realistic than what I have seen in that video you posted.

Last edited:
One thing I have never liked about Codemasters and their crashes is all of the unnecessary debris. If you look at all of those crashes, each has a crazy amount of triangular 2d pieces flying all over the place that just look like paint chips to me. I think if you are trying to make things look more realistic don't cut corners imo it makes things look less realistic. If something is flying through the air make it come from somewhere. I am sure Gran Turismo does this but if they do it isn't as drastic as what Codemasters does. I actually think the way the cars in Gran Turismo 5 act with each other when hit, looks more realistic than what I have seen in that video you posted.

Looking at the amount of 'excess' debris coming from Webber's car I think Codemasters have done a pretty good job:

Looking at the amount of 'excess' debris coming from Webber's car I think Codemasters have done a pretty good job:

Whoa that is a good amount of debris. What I am trying to say is I wish the debris came from somewhere. I guess I am thinking about something that isn't possible on this generation of consoles.

Whoa that is a good amount of debris. What I am trying to say is I wish the debris came from somewhere. I guess I am thinking about something that isn't possible on this generation of consoles.

I get what your saying, but as you said something for the next gen of next gens:drool:

That had to hurt really bad...

The debris does seem to come from somewhere... usually a panel or body part breaks off and turns into a lot of tiny pieces. In that previous crash video there was a slow mo crash where you could see the parts were made up of little fragments of things that looked like parts of the car.

Back