The Earth is Flat?

• Thread starter Corsa
  • 1,439 comments
I love the flat earth people and hope they keep on truck'n with it, I'm not sure why but maybe I lie to myself by thinking they know better but have some other agenda. God knows what that could be but more power to them. :lol:

I don't like the people piggy backing off of them for rocket funds or resurrecting rap careers that should probably die.

If these idiots(don't care they are) really think the earth is flat how do they explain if you go straight long enough you can end up in the same spot?
They claim that you're not actually going straight, so you're actually tracing a slight circle to end up where you started.

So in effect, they believe that something that looks straight can actually be curved.

Wait a second...

If these idiots(don't care they are) really think the earth is flat how do they explain if you go straight long enough you can end up in the same spot?

do they think the earth just makes a new dimension or something when ever you come around the earth again?

Where do they think the sun comes from? The sea or a hole in the ground?
They may think the Sun comes from their own mind, consciousness, or spirit.
Please see post #47 above.

If these flat-Earthers are Americans, then they believe they are are so righteous, rich and powerful that they can believe anything they want. This is an artifact of American history. It has been espoused by academics on both the left and right beginning in the 60's. They live in a post-truth, post-reality state of mind.

Please see post #47 above.

Ok so it looks like their delusions start at the fact they think a map of earth shows all countries at their real size and thinks countries like Canada or Russia are not stretched when they are.

According to his flat earth map Australia is wider then Russia lmao.

edit: This is total troll.

...Holy cow. This flattened map reminds me of a certain atlas from a well-known Japanese fantasy manga called Hunter X Hunter. I won't go into its uber-convoluted plot here, but the current arc of the manga is about humans living in the central "habitable zones" setting sail out into the outer rims. A purported map of the world is shown and it kinda looks like this one.

Maybe that Japanese author and the flat-earthers are onto something, after all!!!

Nope. They are not.

Ok so it looks like their delusions start at the fact they think a map of earth shows all countries at their real size and thinks countries like Canada or Russia are not stretched when they are.

This is an anti-flat earth video though... no?

...Holy cow. This flattened map reminds me of a certain atlas from a well-known Japanese fantasy manga called Hunter X Hunter. I won't go into its uber-convoluted plot here, but the current arc of the manga is about humans living in the central "habitable zones" setting sail out into the outer rims. A purported map of the world is shown and it kinda looks like this one.

Maybe that Japanese author and the flat-earthers are onto something, after all!!!

Nope. They are not.
I'd love to read that manga. Sounds fascinating.

This is an anti-flat earth video though... no?
Flat Earth FAQ

In connected news, ex-England cricketer Andre'Freddie' Flintoff is obsessed with a flat earth podcast and now believes the earth is flat.

Nope. They are not.

In the illustrations they show a simplified version of basically an earth with in a greater earth, but it's not ever claimed to be flat. Essentially the continents are islands with in a massive ocean that is referred to a great lake in the center of a massive continent. We have no idea if the continent is one of many others in a massive earth. Just that it's where human's got their start and so on, and in the manga it almost seems to be a flow of time difference similar to what was seen in Toriko. In fact I always got the idea that both authors seemed to have a similar idea for their stories.

It's an interesting concept, too bad the flat earthers cant be as inventive as mangaka

Good series of videos debunking flat earthers whilst teaching you about reality in fairly good depth at the same time.

And a slightly unrelated series debunking geocentrism (Earth being center of the universe) that's also pretty fun to watch and goes into a crazy amount of detail :lol:

A good reminder that you will never, hear it all.

People like these flat-earthers are the reason voting doesn't work.

While some of the flat earth arguments make me laugh, they mostly make me angry. Really angry.

Science, knowledge, reason. These are the things that will advance us. When people not only flat out deny these things, but try to push these opinions on others, the human race is losing out. I feel much the same way about religion.

These people should be banned from the internet, conference centres, public places, even breeding.

Bunch of Asshats.

These people should be banned from the internet, conference centres, public places, even breeding.

I don't see how anyone could seriously agree with that for what should be obvious reasons. Education is your answer however, or better education but I don't think that should be forced either.

When I did post about this topic many months ago in the conspiracy thread many of you pointed your finger at me and did not bother to read into it themselves and tried to make me the "defender" of the FE. If you want more info then go and watch it yourself instead of turning to me :P Instead of calling those people for stuff and wishing them death maybe you should at least take a short while to see what they are saying.

And yet again I see this in this thread, if you dont look into it more than 5 min than you really should not behave like this. I am not calling myself a Flat Earther but this topic has made me realize that I need think for myself and this FE was really refreshing and fun to dig into so to speak. When I hear something that peek my interest I do not take their words as a fact and I do look into it deeper. If you look into this you will find a lot of things that seems odd and fake, one thing for sure is that many clips that we see of space walks(water bubbles, reflections of what looks of divers)/old satellite launches(you see people in the dark walking around the space shuttle?)/iss(communications delays that are there in some clips but in other are not present at all) and how earth really looks(the size of the continents) seems to be faked at least. So if you look at that and totally ignore the FE topic why are there so much fakery when space is considered. That is what I find a bit interesting.

I have flew a lot in my days, from the days in military and I have never seen a curvature, but at the time I just thought that it was because of earth being so large but now I am not 100% sure :P

Now I have dropped the FE interest because it seems old news but now I follow the drama around if the scriptures talk about a FE cosmology or not as many FE have become Christians. That topic is a real roller coaster as many preachers(evangelical ones) are saying that there is no ground for that, but that is odd I remember clearly that when I was in grade/middle school we were clearly thought that ancient religions including the Abrahamic ones promoted a FE cosmology, oh what we thought that religions was funny but now there are some preachers that dont know their scriptures :P

Last edited:
When I did post about this topic many months ago in the conspiracy thread many of you pointed your finger at me and did not bother to read into it themselves and tried to make me the "defender" of the FE.
Just as with Flat Earth, this statement doesn't stand up to any scrutiny. As I said in that thread at the time:
Perhaps if you stopped taking things so personally you'd have a better time of it
... which was after you decided to insult a member of site staff.
If you look into this you will find a lot of things that seems odd and fake, one thing for sure is that many clips that we see of space walks(water bubbles, reflections of what looks of divers)/old satellite launches(you see people in the dark walking around the space shuttle?)/iss(communications delays that are there in some clips but in other are not present at all) and how earth really looks(the size of the continents) seems to be faked at least. So if you look at that and totally ignore the FE topic why are there so much fakery when space is considered. That is what I find a bit interesting.
"Seems to be" is not "is".

And that's the problem. As I said in that thread at the time:

Flat Earth is codswallop. Every part of every facet of the 'science' behind it is utterly indefensible. When you say "I find this part of it interesting" that's fair enough. But when someone debunks it (because it's easy to debunk) and you say that you don't accept the explanation because you don't understand it, you're putting yourself in the exact position that Flat Earthers - or adherents to any other pseudoscience like anti-vaxxers or Intelligent Design - occupy; accepting a hokey explanation or supposition as valid because you don't understand the science behind the actual explanation.

That's a position occupied only by people who are not educated enough in that field - not necessarily stupid people or idiots, but people who don't have enough information.
Things may sometimes "seem to be" wrong. The word is "counterintuitive" - it runs contrary to what your intuition tells you. But human intuition is extraordinarily fallible and that's why we have the scientific method, which takes intuition and belief out of the picture and replaces it with knowledge.

People who believe in flat earth, or any other kind of pseudoscientific horse anus, cherry pick data according to intuition. They look at a picture of an astronaut reflected in another astronaut's visor, struggle to understand how the reflection happens and say it's fake. They don't look for even a second at the actual explanation for how the reflection forms - much less recreate it for themselves - and decide it's fake.

You can measure the Earth's curvature - not just that it exists, but how large it is - in about ten minutes with a ruler. We've known this for six thousand years.

... which was after you decided to insult a member of site staff.

I dont really care about the other things in your post because you yet again try to point "fingers" at me as if I am a Flat Earther and try to make me defend the topic.

Because people point fingers and try to make you fool for even saying hey look at this, maybe this will interest you of course I will not sharpen my answers without trying to insult, if you cant handle being spoken to that way and think it is an insult or an attack, well that says more about "you" than me.

Me deciding to insult, ha! :P

I dont really care about the other thing because you yet again try to point fingers at me as if I am a Flat Earther
Nope. Again, you're taking things way, way too personally - you'll see nowhere in my post where I refer to you as a Flat Earther, or even hint at it. I described the thought processes that go into being a Flat Earther, which is trusting intuition over reason and rejecting evidence that doesn't fit the intuition.
but bring the evidence.
No problem:
You should not be a moderator at all, that is my opinion and I am sticking with it, you behave way to obnoxiously.
And I rebuked you for it in the original thread.

Nope. Again, you're taking things way, way too personally - you'll see nowhere in my post where I refer to you as a Flat Earther, or even hint at it. I described the thought processes that go into being a Flat Earther, which is trusting intuition over reason and rejecting evidence that doesn't fit the intuition.

No problem:

And I rebuked you for it in the original thread.

-"You should not be a moderator at all, that is my opinion and I am sticking with it, you behave way to obnoxiously." If you take that as an insult, well I rest my case. That was a honest consideration/"remark" on my part, if you take that as an insult. Omg how are you in the real world? I know the environment can be a bit harsher because of different cultures and languages but that this as an example. I have a friend that can not take any criticism at all, and he thinks we hate him for saying that what he did was a bad thing that will come an bit him in the end. If you take that sentence as an insult this is exactly how my friend react when no bad feelings are involved.

If you have something of interest to say about this topic then do it, instead of trying to make it sound like I need to defend this topic. I can do it to a certain degree as I have wasted a fair amount of my time but in this matter :P but it is a different matter when they are saying, fe people are stupid, we know the curvature of the earth and how long the stars are away from us and what about gravity, now explain this!(big pointy finger at me :P )

Okey... go and research it yourself, If you ask like this then you automatically take a stance without having an open mind.

I and FE that, notice I here, because I have not done any experiments myself so I can only rely on the "info" that both camps give us/me, ie both FE camp and the normal institutions. When it is like this that you take info form a source without proving it yourself you take their word for it as a prof. To me that is just a religion, you have a question and the priest says: because it is like this. Ie welcome to scientism :P

And here is where FE has opened up mine eyes regardless of how the real world looks like. The more you look into a thing the more you come to a realization that some things seems to be a bit different compared to what you have been thought or heard in public. Another thing I find funny is the scriptures themselves, how many Christians think that they will go to an afterlife ie heaven or hell directly after death? I simply think that people like Niel degrasse Tyson is full of crap is it pear shaped or oblate(what about the pictures of earth), and my former idol Laurence krauss is a hypocrate when he is talking that everything is upt for scrutiny but when he is questioned then it is not open for scrutiny :P

I know, it seems I have to much time on my hand but that cant be helped right now. Anyway, the short story is that I believe in things that I can touch and see and confirm myself. :P

And yet again I see this in this thread, if you dont look into it more than 5 min than you really should not behave like this.

There is nothing, except perhaps a pair of titties, that will make me watch or read anything that defends anything flat earth related. Those who believe it are the pest of humanity. They shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion. If it were up to me, I'd round them all up, stick them all in a big ass freight ship and pull a plug as soon as it hits deep water.

There is nothing, except perhaps a pair of titties, that will make me watch or read anything that defends anything flat earth related. Those who believe it are the pest of humanity. They shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion. If it were up to me, I'd round them all up, stick them all in a big ass freight ship and pull a plug as soon as it hits deep water.

And why so? How come you know that our world is in fact how our institutions have said it is? What if they have a point, in some way and you get rid of them. And you got rid of them. Have you now learned from science that many ideas are only taken seriously when the old breed of scientists are gone? So you mean that all those scientists or people that had ideas that went against the institutions should have been killed of like you propese with the flat earthers?

Again, how come you are so sure that our world is precisely looking like the institutions have thought us? here is where I have at least woken up so to speak :)

How old are the pyramids/sphinx, where the pyramids tombs? Wow many Pharaohs is it said that Egypt had? What about the cities under oceans, how ancient is the human spices.
What about dinosaurs soft tissue in the bones, meaning when did they actually die of?
What about all those stuff that seems to be man made but seems to be ancient?
How did the scientific world react to tectonic plate ideas?
How was the led in fuel scandal handled?
How was the cigarette health issue met?

I can go and on an on.

Last edited:
You should not be a moderator at all, that is my opinion and I am sticking with it, you behave way to obnoxiously. If you take that as an insult, well I rest my case. That was a honest consideration/"remark" on my part, if you take that as an insult. Omg how are you in the real world? I know the environment can be a bit harsher because of different cultures and languages but that this as an example. I have a friend that can not take any criticism at all, and he thinks we hate him for saying that what he did was a bad thing that will come an bit him in the end. If you take that sentence as an insult this is exactly how my friend react when no bad feelings are involved.
This isn't the real world. This is GTPlanet. We have rules, you agreed to them and when you start talking about other people's personal qualities instead of discussing the topic you are not sticking to them.
trying to make it sound like I need to defend this topic
big pointy finger at me :P
Again, I at no point referred to you when describing the Flat Earth mindset. Again, you're taking any criticism of Flat Earth theory as if it's directed personally at you.
If you ask like this then you automatically take a stance without having an open mind.
When it is like this that you take info form a source without proving it yourself you take their word for it as a prof.
To me that is just a religion, you have a question and the priest says: because it is like this. Ie welcome to scientism :P
That's not how the scientific method works. In fact it's literally the opposite of how the scientific method works. The scientific method works by coming up with a hypothesis, assuming that the hypothesis is wrong, and then testing all possible ways to prove that the hypothesis is wrong until you succeed or run out of ways to do it. Then you move on to the next hypothesis that takes account of the results of trying to prove the previous one wrong. And all of the testing methods are described, so anyone can, at any time, rerun any test for themselves.

What you describe is very much how pseudoscience works - like Flat Earth, anti-vax and Intelligent Design. Proponents come up with a fixed idea and try to prove it right. This often requires them to misrepresent evidence that they don't understand, and reject any evidence that doesn't fit the predetermined mindset that space/medicine/evolution are a conspiracy as being faked, manufactured and part of the conspiracy.

You can recreate "faked" astronaut reflection photographs yourself and demonstrate that the reflections happen in exactly the same counterintuitive way they do in the photographs. You can see the curvature of the Earth by standing at sea level and looking at the sea. You can directly measure the magnitude of the curvature of the Earth with two meter-long rulers and about ten minutes work.

Flat Earth simply doesn't stand up to a moment's scrutiny.

And why so? How come you know that our world is in fact how our institutions have said it is? What if they have a point, in some way and you get rid of them. And you got rid of them. Have you now learned from science that many ideas are only taken seriously when the old breed of scientists are gone? So you mean that all those scientists or people that had ideas that went against the institutions should have been killed of like you propese with the flat earthers?

Again, how come you are so sure that our world is precisely looking like the institutions have thought us? here is where I have at least woken up so to speak :)

Here you go.

High school stuff.

You don't need institutions to do basic maths. Also I have a telescope that makes me look at the other planets, like Jupiter. A planet that spins so fast that you can see it change its face over the course of a night.

As has been stated already, it’s rather easy for the average person to test the earths curvature, no institutions required!

Back