The Earth is Flat?

• Thread starter Corsa
  • 1,439 comments
What if Space X becomes a thing and people can go up in space and prove that the earth is not flat?

What if Space X becomes a thing and people can go up in space and prove that the earth is not flat?

It would cost a lot of money going to space and the flat earth conspiracy theorists will create a new conspiracy theory along the lines of spaceX is fake.

It would cost a lot of money going to space and the flat earth conspiracy theorists will create a new conspiracy theory along the lines of spaceX is fake.
In that case, a billionaire or Musk himself invites the head of Flat Earth University to show him that they have been wrong all this time.

They don't have to go to space to see that the Earth is a sphere. All it takes is for them to compare the length of the shadow at noon between two locations on different latitudes. The Greeks managed to do that already 2200 years ago, so it should be a piece of cake to do that today with all the modern technology we've got.

They don't have to go to space to see that the Earth is a sphere. All it takes is for them to compare the length of the shadow at noon between two locations on different latitudes. The Greeks managed to do that already 2200 years ago, so it should be a piece of cake to do that today with all the modern technology we've got.
That's not the point of my post.

The point is that the FE don't believe in science but rather science-fiction. My point is that they could see it with their own eyes. But what then ....... . Or they going to believe they were wrong or still find out excuses to ignore what they see in person.

It's amazing how saying something over and over can make it "factual." The one You-tuber, when questioned about not getting followers from science fields, answered, "I'm getting reinforced."

Mouth hanging open in astonishment... Pretty soon there's going to be something like the Scopes trial for this.

Head of Flat Earth University

giphy.gif

That's not the point of my post.

The point is that the FE don't believe in science but rather science-fiction. My point is that they could see it with their own eyes. But what then ....... . Or they going to believe they were wrong or still find out excuses to ignore what they see in person.

This is it. These are people that have abandoned being rational. They can't be convinced with rational arguments. They know what the puzzle is supposed to look like, and so the game for them is arranging the pieces such that they feel like it works. It's emotion, not logic.

And it's fine, as long as they're not any of the probably thousands of professions that use the fact that our world is somewhat a teeny-weeny bit spherical.

It's amazing how saying something over and over can make it "factual." The one You-tuber, when questioned about not getting followers from science fields, answered, "I'm getting reinforced."

Mouth hanging open in astonishment... Pretty soon there's going to be something like the Scopes trial for this.

I'm confused. Are you saying that the Earth is only round because people say it over and over?

I'm confused. Are you saying that the Earth is only round because people say it over and over?

Um... no.

I'm saying that people can say things over and over that contradict actual observable, repeatable, testable science, just because they don't understand the science, and that saying it to each other over and over makes it Truth. That's what the You-Tuber meant when he said he was getting reinforced. His videos are complete gibberish, but he has followers. Therefore he speaks the Truth. The more followers and views he has, the more true his message.

Kids are growing up thinking that's how the world works!

Um... no.

I'm saying that people can say things over and over that contradict actual observable, repeatable, testable science, just because they don't understand the science, and that saying it to each other over and over makes it Truth. That's what the You-Tuber meant when he said he was getting reinforced. His videos are complete gibberish, but he has followers. Therefore he speaks the Truth. The more followers and views he has, the more true his message.

Kids are growing up thinking that's how the world works!
My mistake, thanks for expanding on what you meant! I totally agree.

Are there real scientists who believe in flat earth or is it only a belief amongst pseudo-scientist and simple minded people?

Are there real scientists who believe in flat earth or is it only a belief amongst pseudo-scientist and simple minded people?
It seems unlikely that any real scientists would believe the world is flat. However, some pseudo-scientists, simple-minded people and others more ordinary might say the world is flat, not because they actually believe it but because it is an attitude or expression of rebellion, or misguided exercise of free speech.

Over and over, then around, under, and back up the other side. That's how round works, innit? ;)

Essentially, no. A scientist might hypothesize that the world was flat, but would quickly reject the hypothesis as not conforming to close observation once they started attempting to falsify it as any scientist should.

A scientist would not be able to sustain the idea of a flat earth unless they completely avoided applying the scientific method, at which point I'd say they're probably not really a scientist.

Science is really just critical thinking applied in a practical and consistent manner.

You might walk into a new room and see a switch that looks like it should turn on the lights. That's a reasonable hypothesis; there are lights on the roof and there should be a way to control them somewhere. But on flipping it a few times, nothing happens. You could still assume that it's actually the light switch and that the lights are broken, or that the lights are invisible, or that it only turns on the lights in a parallel universe room. But it would be more reasonable to think that you were wrong, that things are actually as they appear and that it's not the light switch.

It seems that Von Braun believed the earth is flat. I'm not sure if this is true though.

Only for information. Don't forget, I'm definitely, 100% NOT a flat earth believer.

Or are you? *Illuminati sounds*
You got me.

But no, I'm NOT a flat earth believer, I believe in Earth being an oblique spheroid. Don't believe me? Well I'm! Definitely, 100%, without a single doubt in my mind. Still don't believe me? How can I convince you? I'm NOT a flat earth believer. Really I'm not.

Who am I kidding, I don't seem to be able to convince you.

It seems that Von Braun believed the earth is flat. I'm not sure if this is true though.

Only for information. Don't forget, I'm definitely, 100% NOT a flat earth believer.

He definitely didn't think the world was flat. That video takes a very specific interpretation of a bible verse that could have meant any number of things to Von Braun or his family, against a lifetime of working with rockets, satellites, and orbital mechanics.

Von Braun wasn't an idiot, and he couldn't possibly have avoided the fact that most of his stuff wouldn't have worked correctly without taking into account the curvature of the earth. It would require basically a direct quote from Von Braun to establish him as a Flat Earth believer considering his career and expertise, and that video is very not that.

I might suggest that you too could benefit from the application of a little scientific style critical thinking to the information that you come across. Just because it's on Youtube doesn't mean that the information and conclusions presented are robust, logical, or even not entirely made up to meet the author's fantasy.

Back