The Earth is Flat?

• Thread starter Corsa
  • 1,439 comments
To all FE on this forum. FE have admitted to Elon Musk that Mars is a globe. FE say that the sun is a small light shining on a flat earth.
I'd like to ask FE how is it possible that this small light (sun) close to the flat earth can shine light on Mars as well?

:D

To all FE on this forum. FE have admitted to Elon Musk that Mars is a globe. FE say that the sun is a small light shining on a flat earth.
I'd like to ask FE how is it possible that this small light (sun) close to the flat earth can shine light on Mars as well?

:D
Quiet, you government shill. Don't you know that every planet has its own tiny orbiting sun?

There's an app! This is trolling on a whole new level. They'll get a million downloads just by people who want to use the app to show that it's wrong. And get $$ for ads from those people. They're actually going to make money on a trolling app.

There's an app! This is trolling on a whole new level. They'll get a million downloads just by people who want to use the app to show that it's wrong. And get $$ for ads from those people. They're actually going to make money on a trolling app.

That’s actually really clever. They’ve been playing us the whole time :eek:

It doesn't seem that much different to the other apps designed to milk money out of microtransactions and ads, to be honest. They're all based on lies, manipulation and psychological trickery.

From what I can gather, they explain these geology phenomena comparing earth to a swimming pool; any disturbance from below (cause by internal currents?? lol!) will amplify on the surface as earthquakes

I propose that we perform a rigorous experiment into the structural rigidity of elephants.
Or lack thereof, as the case may be.

Don't get me wrong, the whole thing is just absurd, but I kind of like the notion that four giant elephants figure into the scheme. It's whimsical.

I have a question.
If there are three turtles or elephants right below us, what do they eat?
Four massively oversized elephants on the shell of an even larger turtle/tortoise. Mind you, not much is spoken of what sort of nourishment mythical creatures were/are dependant on, except on those occasions it is spoken of.

I have a question.
If there are three turtles or elephants right below us, what do they eat?

Farts from the turtles below, obviously. It's a sort of Human Centipede arrangement, but with turtles and elephants. And of course, all the way down.

Farts from the turtles below, obviously. It's a sort of Human Centipede arrangement, but with turtles and elephants. And of course, all the way down.
I never thought that a flat earth theory actually can get this disgusting. :yuck:

I can’t believe this thread is 42 pages long.
It's mostly poking fun at flat earthers now, though I hope it doesn't get too offensive here. Like, nothing wrong with being open-minded, but they're really not.

I never thought that a flat earth theory actually can get this disgusting. :yuck:

The real world is a beautiful, majestic, and occasionally disgusting place. ;)

It's mostly poking fun at flat earthers now, though I hope it doesn't get too offensive here. Like, nothing wrong with being open-minded, but they're really not.

Warning: contains the swears. Sorta.

I'm not sure why a belief in a flat earth would preclude plates?

Because

The Principle of Horizontally tells us that layers of sediments deposited on the Earth's surface are originally deposited horizontally. If these sediments are undisturbed, then they will remain that way. That is why some areas like Indiana, USA are "flat as a pancake". The lithified sediments that have become rock are flat. When those sediments are disturbed (e.g. through actions of water, glaciers, volcanic events, earthquakes, folding, faulting, orogenic events etc) that can create elevation changes and creates landforms. Landforms are also created based on the lithology (rock type) as some rocks weather faster than others leading to positive and negative relief areas.

The reason I kept asking @quentin1974 about plate tectonics applies here. Since he never could provide evidence, I'd like to say what I've been wanting to say.

The theory of Plate Tectonics essentially states that our continents can move. Our continental crust varies a lot, but the average composition is considered a granodiorite. These rocks are less dense and essentially float over the Asthenosphere (a layer of the mantle).

The mantle has a lot of heterogeneity. One would think it is not possible to study the mantle because of it being too far down in the Earth. However it has been possible through various geophysical and geochemical techniques.

Geophysics - Major techniques of geophysics include 3D seismic tomography which is generated through S and P waves. These seismic waves are created from seismic activity like earthquakes. When an earthquake happens, it releases off S and P waves which (to make a long story short) are affected in their speed and direction when they go through different medium and densities (solid, semi-solid, liquid etc).

An example of what this data might look like is seen below. This figure (Kennett, B. L. N., Tkalčić, H, 2008) depicts the percent perturbation, meaning the amount of variation found in S wave speed. This is important because this means the physical and chemical properties of the medium have changed, which allow boundaries to be set in place i.e. core-mantle boundary.

View attachment 750421

Geochemical - Geochemical data is much more limited because it is dependent on finding physical samples of igneous rock at the surface which have erupted or otherwise ended up at the surface of the Earth. Because these rocks are solidified and found at the surface, they are best used to understand previous compositions and mantellic evolution.

Geochemical and Geophysical studies have brought a wealth of information to mantellic evolution. By using 3D seismic tomography, geologists have found distinct zones in the mantle being able to better understand mantle circulation (both upwelling and subduction), along with mantle composition. Mantle chemistry can rarely be tested at the surface of the Earth, but through seismic waves, their responses to different changes in composition (i.e. speed change, direction change) are indicative of differences in the media.

These upwelling and downwelling cycles play important roles in the movement of our continents. These cycles, which are well documented, depend on a spherical Earth. Where is the core on a flat planet? What happens to the mantle? We know a mantle exists, look what is happening in Hawaii, that's hotspot volcanism! That lava is coming from somewhere...

I've googled it, and I can't find an answer as to how FEers explain how plate tectonics can happen on a flat Earth. The continents are most certainly moving. This has been verified by satellites, fossil evidence, the fact that earthquakes exist, and the fact that India smashed into Asia to create the Himalayas. If continents don't move, where the hell do mountains come from? Where do earthquakes come from? They can't move on a flat Earth. They move because we live on a round Earth.

Source:
Kennett, B. L. N., Tkalčić, H, 2008, Dynamic Earth: crustal and mantle heterogeneity, Australian Journal of Earth Sciences, v. 55, p. 265-279.

Now lets stop this nonsensical discussion...

/thread.

Everything that is documented on Plate Tectonics needs a spherical Earth. The convection cycles wouldn't work. Deep mantle plumes would go in one direction, and there would be sufficient heat on the outer reaches of the Earth to keep the plates moving.

Earthquakes data show these plates are still moving. If the Earth was flat, how do they still have energy to move. Furthermore, what stops them from drifting off the edge of the world?

If the plates are not moving, why do we have EQs? It's a large flaw in FE "thinking".

Last edited:
Because...It's a large flaw in FE "thinking".

I think you're missing the point in the way flat earthers approach science. Picking particular geological phenomena to demonstrate the weakness of a flat earth argument is like arguing that Peter Jackson's eyebrows make him an unsuitable Marilyn Monroe impersonator.

If the earth can be flat then many of the things observable on that flat earth are possible. The tectonics argument is effectively moot from that perspective. Or orthography.

So was there any conclusion from that doofus that posed his Flat Earth challenge twice and was debunked both times only to backtrack and ask to fly that route with the pilot as proof?

I firmly believe he'll keep making increasingly BS-grade excuses until people will get tired of debunking him.

Back