The Earth is Flat?

• Thread starter Corsa
  • 1,439 comments
Pretty disappointed that the science channel was paying any attention to a flat earther...

It's great TV and it's citizen science, and science isn't about ignoring alternative theories but about discussing them. With that said... I've never seen the Science Channel but if its output is as lowbrow as "National Geographic" then it's really just about the ratings.

It's sad to see he died, but it's also not shocking in the least.

As the great Ron White says, you can't fix stupid.

I've never seen the Science Channel but if its output is as lowbrow as "National Geographic" then it's really just about the ratings.

It's your usual Discovery Inc. channel, so it's really just about ratings.

Someone making jokes in the comments on a news site, I giggled...
They found the black box. It was filled with marijuana and Fritos.

While I know his objective was absurd, his death saddens me as people that have a wild idea or passion for something rarely have the balls to actually do it.
For that, I respect him.

Reminded me of Evel Knievel's Rocket jump of the Snake River gorge. His parachute deployed early, but stayed attached.

I never thought that bloke would seriously do it. I suppose this was the only realistic outcome from such inconceivable asshattery.

Darwin award incoming?

I think we can probably remove the quotes around the "Mad" now. Proof perhaps that belief in conspiracies can be bad for your health. Rest in pieces.

Last edited:
So if the planet Earth is flat so how come all the other planets in our solar system are round in this picture below.
1.PNG

So if the planet Earth is flat so how come all the other planets in our solar system are round in this picture below.
View attachment 893834
They all look pretty flat to me. Colorful, flat circles. They're also all the same size, so I guess that picture means Mercury is as big as Jupiter.

That image is as weak a point as it gets, in a discussion where one side already has some incredibly weak points

They all look pretty flat to me. Colorful, flat circles. They're also all the same size, so I guess that picture means Mercury is as big as Jupiter.

That image is as weak a point as it gets, in a discussion where one side already has some incredibly weak points
I have seen all them planets in my 10 inch telescope and if you ever come to Adelaide, Australia I will show you because I like Astronomy.

"Mad" Mike Hughes has been killed during a rocket flight undertaken as part of his ongoing mission to prove that the Earth is flat.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51602655

EDIT: I won't link here for obvious reasons but a video of the incident can be seen on YouTube. It appears that the descent chute deploys immediately after launch. It's not clear if the flight lasts for the planned duration but in any case without a chute the rocket just returns to terrain nose down at high speed. The fuel is clearly all used as there is no flame on impact.

I some how didn't see (until just now) that you beat me to it. My bad for posting the same thing lol.

I have seen all them planets in my 10 inch telescope and if you ever come to Adelaide, Australia I will show you because I like Astronomy.
Congratulations on utterly missing the point.

You posted flat, circular pictures from literally the top result of the most basic Google Search to prove that the other planets aren't flat. Even as weak points go, that's weak. So is "come here and look at the flat circles in my telescope". Flat-Earthers aren't convinced by actual data, and explain away any curvature they actually see with their own eyes as lens aberration... so how do you think "look at these eight flat circles" going to hold up?

I also have a telescope - a 4.5-inch Newtonian. They're not exactly unusual items. Mine has a camera mount for a Canon body, so I can take photos too, although I do need to sort out the alignment (yes, I also have a laser alignment tool) because it's been a little while.

You posted flat, circular pictures from literally the top result of the most basic Google Search to prove that the other planets aren't flat. Even as weak points go, that's weak. So is "come here and look at the flat circles in my telescope". Flat-Earthers aren't convinced by actual data, and explain away any curvature they actually see with their own eyes as lens aberration... so how do you think "look at these eight flat circles" going to hold up?

I also have a telescope - a 4.5-inch Newtonian. They're not exactly unusual items. Mine has a camera mount for a Canon body, so I can take photos too, although I do need to sort out the alignment (yes, I also have a laser alignment tool) because it's been a little while.

Ooooo, do you have any cool pictures?

Ooooo, do you have any cool pictures?
I had a few decent Moon images back in the day, but I'm not one for going outside in the cold, and the equatorial mount is absolutely mince. Plus there's a monster of a light polluter about three miles away - you have to go up in the Moors, or a bit further down the coast, and never look west.

It's been in the attic for a couple of years as we've been jiggling stuff around, but I might grab it and upgrade later this year.

To be fair, Venus, Neptune and Uranus all have shadows that indicate its roundness.

Back