The Earth is Flat?

• Thread starter Corsa
  • 1,439 comments
88445e3277c4597c6ade118b2db1058d.jpg

Where do the clouds come from on the right hand Earth? Do they just magically appear at the rim? :lol:

The difference between flat earthers and Globe believers. I can't resist using that expression. :D

The first are the flat earthers

The second are we, globe believers.

sfd.jpg

Quotes from Dr. William (Bill) Andrews.

Flat Earth itself isn't really the problem. It's just one form of pseudoscience among many. I don't think it's much of a cause of anything either. The people that believe it are prone to believing any kind of crazy idea, and if FE was dismantled, they'd just cling on something else. The real problem as I see it is the tendency of certain people to be drawn to conspiracy theories and to favor certain fantasies over reality.

Flat Earth itself isn't really the problem. It's just one form of pseudoscience among many. I don't think it's much of a cause of anything either. The people that believe it are prone to believing any kind of crazy idea, and if FE was dismantled, they'd just cling on something else. The real problem as I see it is the tendency of certain people to be drawn to conspiracy theories and to favor certain fantasies over reality.
7DVE.gif

The real problem as I see it is the tendency of certain people to be drawn to conspiracy theories and to favor certain fantasies over reality.

I wouldn't mind if they were into Ancient Aliens or something where we can't be 100% sure, but this denial of observable reality is mind blowing.

You really like this topic, don't you? Haha.
Not really, I have to get my post count up. That is all.

What I do like is trying to find out the psychological state or state of mind of flat earthers and why they believe in such nonsense.

What I do like is trying to find out the psychological state or state of mind of flat earthers and why they believe in such nonsense.

Here's a question: Perhaps what the flat-Earthers really are all about is something else, and the whole flat-Earth thing is just an allegory, parable, analogy, metaphor, symbol, or emblem? If this were the case, then it might augur the social heresy of anti-Copernicanism plus; the purported or anomalous observation that the Earth seems at the center of the universe, the anthropic principle is actual, and so on. As such, flat-Earthism is tantamount to social, religious and scientific heresy, and must be disguised as the village idiot in order to be permitted on the premises. Question.

EDIT:
Here's an even better take on it:
https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2019...hers-ufo-and-illuminati-themed-shoes-on-4-20/

Last edited:
Here's a question: Perhaps what the flat-Earthers really are all about is something else, and the whole flat-Earth thing is just an allegory, parable, analogy, metaphor, symbol, or emblem? If this were the case, then it might augur the social heresy of anti-Copernicanism plus; the purported or anomalous observation that the Earth seems at the center of the universe, the anthropic principle is actual, and so on. As such, flat-Earthism is tantamount to social, religious and scientific heresy, and must be disguised as the village idiot in order to be permitted on the premises. Question.

EDIT:
Here's an even better take on it:
https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2019...hers-ufo-and-illuminati-themed-shoes-on-4-20/

You can basically replace flat earth with any other conspiracy theory. That is what it basically is. I think most flatearthers actually dont really care if the earth is flat or not, it is the premise that the government (or elite, freemasons etc.) are covering something up that makes it appealing to them.

You can basically replace flat earth with any other conspiracy theory. That is what it basically is. I think most flatearthers actually dont really care if the earth is flat or not, it is the premise that the government (or elite, freemasons etc.) are covering something up that makes it appealing to them.
Flat Earther... Obama Birther... they even rhyme.

Whatever their state of mind is, I truly believe that they truly believe the earth is flat. FE tend to believe in other conspiracy theories as well. But the FE believe is a genuine belief of these people. You can really upset or make a FE mad if you say that what they are believing is pure nonsense.

I opened the link and read the title and thought, who the 🤬 is Nick?

Not one second later, I got enlightened and read, ah, Nike, not Nick.

Whatever their state of mind is, I truly believe that they truly believe the earth is flat. FE tend to believe in other conspiracy theories as well. But the FE believe is a genuine belief of these people. You can really upset or make a FE mad if you say that what they are believing is pure nonsense.

I opened the link and read the title and thought, who the 🤬 is Nick?

Not one second later, I got enlightened and read, ah, Nike, not Nick.

Logically it doesnt matter to a persons daily life at all if the earth is flat or not. It's the conspiracy of the coverup that makes them very enthousiastic and the need to prove everyone wrong. I truly believe deep down that they now its not true, they just want to be in "know".

Logically it doesnt matter to a persons daily life at all if the earth is flat or not.
True

It's the conspiracy of the coverup that makes them very enthousiastic and the need to prove everyone wrong.
Agreed.

I truly believe deep down that they know it's not true, they just want to be in "know".
I don't.
Maybe not all of the FE but there are some that truly believe the earth is flat and use coverup material to make their case harder and believable (believable in their mind).

True

Agreed.

I don't.
Maybe not all of the FE but there are some that truly believe the earth is flat and use coverup material to make their case harder and believable (believable in their mind).

I guess so. Its just hard to understand. I mean, there are people who think chocolate milk comes from brown cows.

"Mad" Mike Hughes has been killed during a rocket flight undertaken as part of his ongoing mission to prove that the Earth is flat.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51602655

EDIT: I won't link here for obvious reasons but a video of the incident can be seen on YouTube. It appears that the descent chute deploys immediately after launch. It's not clear if the flight lasts for the planned duration but in any case without a chute the rocket just returns to terrain nose down at high speed. The fuel is clearly all used as there is no flame on impact.

According to Mike Hughes, from California.
Who intends to launch himself 1800 feet into the air Saturday to capture a picture and prove modern science is incorrect.
This must be the most absurd story I've heard this year.
Why would you launch yourself 2,000 ft in the air on a homemade rocket, when you could buy a 30,000ft commercial airline ticket for the picture proving us all wrong?
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017...-prove-earth-is-flat-california-man-says.html
I have a feeling the only thing he will prove is that launching yourself 1800 feet into the air in a home made rocket is a terrible idea.

Mike Hughes crashed his rocket and died yesterday. He was filming a TV show...

Do you think he saw curve of the Earth before he died?

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/daredevil...e-filming-070149253--abc-news-topstories.html

According to ABC News’ Houston station KTRK, the rocket launch was intended to be one of three featured in a new Science Channel series, "Homemade Astronauts," which was chronicling the story of self-financed teams "in their cosmic quest to explore the final frontier on limited budgets."

Pretty disappointed that the science channel was paying any attention to a flat earther...

Back