THE EMO THREAD: Epic Rage & Crying Thread

• Thread starter eastley
  • 964 comments
Back when I was doing Vettel, I did a 1:03.1xx lap 1 on Monza, lap 2 was amazing too - I was about 2 car lenghts ahead of Vettel, and I crashed in the last corner of the 2nd lap.
I went in too fast, outside wheel went into the sand thus dragging me off track into the DQ.
I screamed (at 4am).
Took me 20 more minutes to finally get gold (I never managed that laptime again though).

It's a shame about the Südschleife, though, it looked fun.

Its very sad yes. But the Südschleife was stupidly dangerous. One of the most dangerous parts of the whole Nürburgring. Today there are still some parts of the Südschleife left, some are open for public road.

Here a nice vid, you can see the public road which leads through parts of the circuit and then classy, but long forgotten sections of the track.

Those race drivers from the 30s-60s must have balls like huge round things, full throttle on unsafe cars and high speeds on this very thight track.

Its very sad yes. But the Südschleife was stupidly dangerous. One of the most dangerous parts of the whole Nürburgring. Today there are still some parts of the Südschleife left, some are open for public road.

Here a nice vid, you can see the public road which leads through parts of the circuit and then classy, but long forgotten sections of the track.

vid

Those race drivers from the 30s-60s must have balls like huge round things, full throttle on unsafe cars and high speeds on this very thight track.

It was dangerous, but so was the Nordschleife; it's been heavily modified over the years, removing crests and jumps and adjusting some of the more extreme cambers, adding the final chicane at Hohenrain etc. Most of this was in the 1970s, some time after the Südschleife was abandoned for racing on because it was eclipsed by its more famous bigger brother. I'm sure the total absence of runoff had something to do with it, too, although I'm sure they could have easily trimmed the verges if they were digging up the Nordschleife!

Anyway, still a shame, in my opinion, parts of it were supposedly worthy of comparison to the best parts of the Nordschleife.

Nice video 👍
You can see parts of the original track off to the right of the main road before they turn off after Müllenbach. You know, you could still laser scan most of it and get a good approximation of what it was like. :dopey:

Well, I'm going to double-post, because I'm in a strop. And that, above, is so far off topic it probably shouldn't exist.

So, I just got my PS3 plumbed back in last night after a few weeks of it gathering dust on my bass amp, and perused the PSN for new stuffs etc. Then I fired up GT5 to test my audio settings. They were wrong; so I faff about with the PS3's output settings, re-launch. Still wrong.
I get confused with my brain and it makes me do something stupid. Namely: trying to go back to the PS3's system settings, whilst I'm already saving my new in-game options as I leave the menu. Cue freeze and triple-beep reset from the console. "Stupid game", I mutter to myself. I tweak the audio settings once more and re-launch the game.

I'm greeted by an EULA dialogue. An update? Interesting. Agreed.
Language select? What. The. Hell?

Sure enough, afer the once-disabled intro movie is skipped and the start screen shows up sans "current car", it was clear what had happened. My savegame was corrupted. 🤬
And GT5 didn't even think to tell me, it's just overwritten the corrupt one with a virgin "1 day" save. Great. Thanks GT5.

EMOrage.jpg

Guess what? I don't have a backup; all my USB drives have AIDS (communal computers FTL) and the PS3 dislikes them heartily. I scan the game save data folder for options. Strange, my PS+ storage is down by 3-odd Mb. Then I remember, as part of my "welcome back to PSN" PS+ thingy, I shoved my GT5 save up there out of desperation. Salvation is at hand!

Guess what? I don't have PS+ anymore; the free trial ran out. Now, do I start from scratch and work my way back up to the mediocre, if still well invested, status I had, or do I shell out for Plus and get my game back? You know what would really vex me? If that save then didn't work.

Has anybody tried restoring their savegame from PS+ storage? Should I even try? I almost can't be bothered.

You know, Kaz, if you're reading this; what would really make me pick myself up and muster some enthusiasm is if there were some sort of promise of compelling racing in the single player again. You couldn't, by any chance, give us a hint as to what the upcoming updates contain, could you? You know: faster AI, qualifying, difficulty-scaled rewards etc. Anything? :dopey:

Ouch, well - buying PS+ and re-claiming your GT5 save is your best option.
Good luck.

Back