The F1 driver transfer discussion/speculation archiveFormula 1 

• Thread starter NotThePrez
  • 3,041 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why Mercedes would change their lineup unless something happened.
I think the rumour has come about because a lot of people think Alonso moving to McLaren is impossible in the wake of 2007. Never mind that that was seven years ago and everyone has matured - Alonso is a lot smarter, sharper, and wiser, while I doubt the ever-efficient Ron Dennis would allow something as petty as a grudge get in the way of choosing the best driver. Likewise, I think a lot of people are expecting a spectacular meltdown at Mercedes, with whoever loses the World Championship storming out in a huff (Rosberg) or rightfully turning his back on a team that never appreciated his talent, much less gave him the opportunity he deserved because they were too taken with the idea of a German driver winning the World Championship for a German team (Hamilton).

I also think that people still clutching that idea he couldn't possibly go to McLaren are short minded considering Kimi doing just that with Ferrari. He had just as bad of an exit from them if not worse considering a mini retirement.

Glad to see Vettel moving on, with Newey limiting himself now and Vettel wanting to get away from the shadow of RBR to prove himself overall. At first when I didn't see what team he was moving to I thought he might be retiring which made me a bit sad, but glad he is going to be moving on to (Ferrari :sly:) new team

That will only happen if two teams drop out I think.

I don't and never will get the logic of Alonso leaving Ferrari for a worse team. Yes McLaren might produce a great car next season, but so might Ferrari with the greater resources they presumedly have.

Kimi has don't nothing to justify getting another year at Ferrari, so why not Alonso and Vettel as teammates?

Saw some reports this morning that Vettel's contract is £150M over 3 years.

No idea why Ferrari would dump Alonso and pay Vettel that sort of money - Alonso is a much, much better driver :lol:

Saw some reports this morning that Vettel's contract is £150M over 3 years.

No idea why Ferrari would dump Alonso and pay Vettel that sort of money - Alonso is a much, much better driver :lol:

Only replacement available for him.

It was Alonso's decision to leave Ferrari? With no confirmed drive?

Odd!
Alonso knows that he won't win world championship with Ferrari, but some other team might build good car for him (McLaren). Vettel goes to Ferrari because there's nothing more for him to achieve with Red Bull Racing.

Alonso knows that he won't win world championship with Ferrari, but some other team might build good car for him (McLaren). Vettel goes to Ferrari because there's nothing more for him to achieve with Red Bull Racing.

Is it confirmed by Alonso that it's his decision to leave Ferrari with no confirmed seat?

IMO, SV is leaving RB for a combination of money and because DR is kicking his butt... Ferrari haven't shown any promise for a few years now and seem to be in turmoil internally.

It's been quite a weekend for the rumour mill of driving contracts. After Vettel's announcement to move on, everything and everyone is pointing to a move to Ferrari for him.

Honda have made no secret of their desire to have Alonso in the McLaren but I wonder if they are chasing Vettel too. After seeing Hamilton's fairly inexplicable reaction to qualifying second, it crossed my mind that perhaps he had just been told their was no seat for him at McLaren.

Bit of a long shot, I know, but with what I imagine to be a Mercedes release clause without a championship, if there was ever a car that Hamilton wanted to be in, it would be a McLaren-Honda.

As for McLaren's prospects next year, an engine that has been a long time in the making and Ron Dennis at the helm, they will not get mugged. As the third Mercedes team, they will be investing heavily for next year's machines, this year was always going to be a write-off for them.

I'm interested to see if Hamilton would sign for Ferrari, not that I would want to see him there and, if we will ever see Vettel pitched directly against a proven top driver.

I also think that people still clutching that idea he couldn't possibly go to McLaren are short minded considering Kimi doing just that with Ferrari. He had just as bad of an exit from them if not worse considering a mini retirement.
And I think that part of these Mercedes rumours is also born out of people trying to construct a narrative to make sense of it all. We were expecting an announcement from Alonso and/or McLaren and/or Honda, but instead we got Vettel announcing his departure, Horner seemingly confirming him at Ferrari, and Alonso with no clear plan. When McLaren announced Hamilton's departure, Mercedes confirmed him within hours.

I don't doubt that Alonso has a plan - he's just not saying anything. And it's in that vacuum that rumours start to form.

That will only happen if two teams drop out I think.

I don't and never will get the logic of Alonso leaving Ferrari for a worse team. Yes McLaren might produce a great car next season, but so might Ferrari with the greater resources they presumably have.

Kimi has don't nothing to justify getting another year at Ferrari, so why not Alonso and Vettel as teammates?

If Ferrari couldn't do it in 5 years with Alonso, the future doesn't look much better. Alonso probably saw a better opportunity with the new Honda engine.

His two options appear to be: stay at Ferrari or go to McLaren, and I'm not sure how wide the doors are open at Ferrari.

Glad to see Vettel moving on, with Newey limiting himself now and Vettel wanting to get away from the shadow of RBR to prove himself overall. At first when I didn't see what team he was moving to I thought he might be retiring which made me a bit sad, but glad he is going to be moving on to (Ferrari :sly:) new team

ehh, I was disappointed by Vettel's choice to leave RB for Ferrari. Now if you were to ask me I think it would've been great for Vettel to stick it out and finish his career with RB, but sadly it seem to me like the sence of loyalty doesn't exist in F1 as it does in MotoGP where a rider who associates himself with a manufacturer finishes his career with them.

but sadly it seem to me like the sence of loyalty doesn't exist in F1

Considering the way Red Bull treats its Toro Rosso drivers, I don't know how anyone can expect drivers to show loyalty to them.

ehh, I was disappointed by Vettel's choice to leave RB for Ferrari. Now if you were to ask me I think it would've been great for Vettel to stick it out and finish his career with RB, but sadly it seem to me like the sence of loyalty doesn't exist in F1 as it does in MotoGP where a rider who associates himself with a manufacturer finishes his career with them.

MotoGP has it's fair share of drivers swapping teams as well. It's maybe not as high profile as F1, but it's not like everyone just sticks with the same team. When riders see an opportunity for an upgrade, they take it.

If anything, reduced movement is due to the fact that there's only three works teams that are consistently capable of fielding podiums (and that's being really generous to Ducati), and all the other teams are really much of a muchness. On the right day they can be up there if all the cards fall their way, but in a straight shootout they can't hope to compete with the works Hondas and Yamahas.

At least in F1 we have a reasonably large number of teams who have shown that they're capable of placing on the podium consistently at some point in the last five years. Pretty much anyone except Marussia and Caterham could emerge as a contender next year and it wouldn't be that surprising. Look at Williams this year. Last year they were AWFUL, this year they're giving everyone not named Mercedes a run for their money.

I think it's safe to say that Kimi will remain at Ferrari, because going to a team lower down would be dumb. Yes, he's got talent, but what has he got to prove? He deserves to get the correct sendoff, and I don't want him to shrink out of existence by going to a low-budget team.

Couple Italian sites say Alonso drives in lmp1 next season before going back to F1 in 2016. They state he was in talks with Toyota. McLaren want at least a two-year deal according to these reports, but Fernando wont commit to it. The guess is he wants to see if Mercedes has a seat so he will either wait or only go somewhere for one year. Lots of rumors!

Couple Italian sites say Alonso drives in lmp1 next season before going back to F1 in 2016. They state he was in talks with Toyota. McLaren want at least a two-year deal according to these reports, but Fernando wont commit to it. The guess is he wants to see if Mercedes has a seat so he will either wait or only go somewhere for one year. Lots of rumors!
That is probably the best thing for him, he'll struggle to win the title in anything other than a Merc in 2015 so he might as well take a year out and try to join them again next year instead of committing to a slower team.

I think it's safe to say that Kimi will remain at Ferrari, because going to a team lower down would be dumb. Yes, he's got talent, but what has he got to prove? He deserves to get the correct sendoff, and I don't want him to shrink out of existence by going to a low-budget team.

The correct send off would be to be booted out of the team for not delivering in the car!

Niki Lauda has made no secret of the way Mercedes are happy with Hamilton and Rosberg, and see no reason why they would change from 2016. Alonso would be wasting his time with the wait-and-see approach. This sounds like the Spanish media inventing stories to get him into a competitive seat.

Niki Lauda has made no secret of the way Mercedes are happy with Hamilton and Rosberg, and see no reason why they would change from 2016. Alonso would be wasting his time with the wait-and-see approach. This sounds like the Spanish media inventing stories to get him into a competitive seat.
Uh, I said these are Italian f1 and motor sites, not Spanish. Now Autosprint are reporting the same thing- Alonso to take a year off and run lmp1 at Le Mans and perhaps the wec. He doesnt want to join an uncompetitive team, McLaren even will be on the backfoot with the new Honda engine. They also want a commitment of 2, 3 years according to the same rumors. Alonso wants to keep his options open, so a 1-year deal is the word.

And what if Honda has made a deal with another team, except McLaren, and Alonso is contracted to Honda?

And what if Honda has made a deal with another team, except McLaren, and Alonso is contracted to Honda?

Honda engines are exclusive to McLaren in 2015. After that though they will be after other customers. If Alonso is contracted to Honda, 2015 would be a year for engine development before choosing which Honda team he liked chassis / team the most in 2016. Red Bull Honda?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back