The F1 driver transfer discussion/speculation archiveFormula 1 

• Thread starter NotThePrez
  • 3,041 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got this one - it's click-baiting.

Yeah, but it'd be different if the article then said something like, "it's a possibility" but it's saying he signed inside. Which is why I'm asking.

Yeah, which is the only reason I'm asking here, since no one else has mentioned it.

Hamilton back to McLaren? Wtf?! http://www.f1today.net/en/news/hamilton-signs-for-mclaren-for-2015

Can you explain this @Tom ?

I wish that I could. I had nothing to do with the article, I was not the writer of it and I have no affiliation with the inside source that is claimed. I was given the information about Hamilton around two weeks ago, by the site founder but that's all I know regarding it I'm afraid.

Personally, I have my own views on whether it's true or not. But, I haven't heard and/or seen any other sources claiming it...

Tom
I wish that I could. I had nothing to do with the article, I was not the writer of it and I have no affiliation with the inside source that is claimed. I was given the information about Hamilton around two weeks ago, by the site founder but that's all I know regarding it I'm afraid.

Personally, I have my own views on whether it's true or not. But, I haven't heard and/or seen any other sources claiming it...

Cool, pretty much what I thought, appreciate you letting us know your side.

If Alonso signed a two-year deal with McLaren, couldn't he still break the contract if he wanted to go to Mercedes that badly?

Cool, pretty much what I thought, appreciate you letting us know your side.

No problem. I wasn't asked to write the article thankfully, otherwise I'd have told them to stick it. I've been in trouble with certain members of the paddock before after writing articles where the information that I had received was from the founder, which turned out to be untrue. I should've known better, really, but I did as I was asked in order to keep my position at the site.

I've learned from that and I have no interest in writing bollocks, so to speak. I wish to write articles that are informative and correct, that's my priority, not site traffic or the like.

Once it's been posted in one place it will be picked up and posted somewhere else. It's amazing how fast information/gossip travels.

We could have some fun with it.

@Tom I know you only want to post legit articles but it would be great if you could post a serious sounding article claiming that a chimp will be replacing Maldonado for next season. Then we wait and see how long it takes to spread.

It's quite a believable claim IMO. :lol:

So now we get this to fuel all of the Alonso debate:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116226

My opinion is that this is Mercedes being clever. Hamilton will need to walk to make anything happen, but they have outright specified Alonso as the third option. If contract negotiations with McLaren were already "tough", this has certainly not helped.

Rumour in the Sochi paddock suggests Nico Hulkenberg is becoming a little disinfatuated with Formula 1 considering his inability to secure a seat with a front-running team, and that Porsche have made him a serious offer for a WEC seat in 2015.

That would be sad, him being held back by his height sucks, he deserves another good shot. I wouldn't take the offer if I was him. He's at that weird point between between being considered young or old.

I don't think his height has made any difference this year. I think those reports were grossly exaggerated for the sake of opposition to the 2014 rules, and to try and explain away his underperformance.

Force india haven't been over the weight limit from my knowledge.

Besides next year the weight limit is being increased so there should be next to no issue.

Further reports from Sochi suggest that Alonso was really trying to take advantage of Mercedes' driver situation to secure a 2015 seat but the talks went nowhere.

ehh, I was disappointed by Vettel's choice to leave RB for Ferrari. Now if you were to ask me I think it would've been great for Vettel to stick it out and finish his career with RB, but sadly it seem to me like the sence of loyalty doesn't exist in F1 as it does in MotoGP where a rider who associates himself with a manufacturer finishes his career with them.

That's not the problem or the issue, it has nothing to do with loyalty but with legacy and proving one self in the record books for many of these drivers that will actually be remembered. Vettel isn't loyal, if anything he probably wouldn't have mind staying there but with the rhetoric of the racing fandom saying he was a lucky winner that couldn't do this anywhere else but RBR which was an issue Lewis had to a lesser extent and Fernando. Also he may be getting pushed out by Marko wanting to place fresh blood in there just to keep a clear reason for RBR's all to frequent upbringing of drivers to F1 and too little seats. Also Vettel seems to feel he needs to prove himself so...

Moto GP doesn't have nearly the amount of rhetoric about a rider not being good enough since the teams for the last several years have been Honda on top and then Yamaha or Ducati or vice versa Yamaha, Honda and Ducati (in that order). Then the satelite teams that don't have the high 10s of millions to hundred millions to run sophisticated prototype mapping and electronics and so on. Thus people are loyal out of necessity not true loyalty. If a rider switches out of Honda with a promise that Ducati will reign supreme for a year then they may win that year but they may not, and when Honda catches them (Ducati or Yamaha) they wont be winning at all unless a bad weekend (For Honda).

Also not sure about the loyalty until recently, Rossi, Hayden, Crutchlow, Dovizioso, Lorenzo

I mean the only rider I know of having such loyalty is Pedrosa, and the money is too good for him to move on considering his age and all the young riders waiting in the wings for that seat.

Force india haven't been over the weight limit from my knowledge.

Besides next year the weight limit is being increased so there should be next to no issue.
Weight has nothing to do with it. Vijay Mallya has said he wants to keep both of his drivers. Hulkenberg has been passed over for top seats at McLaren and Ferrari a few times now, and he is said to be frustrated with the lack of progress - he wants to be at the front of the grid, and it's not happening, so he's said to be open to the idea of going to another series and being at the front of that grid.

What about a return for Williams-Honda?

That's got to be a tempting fantasy-team for a few drivers; Williams are on the up-and-up (having finally rid themselves of Sam Michael, imo etc) and always have their eyes on the best tech. They have a definite history with Honda and discussions are surely always welcome.

Alonso? I could see that happening... Alonso in a Williams-Honda. You read it here first. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back