The Forgotten Cars Thread

• Thread starter el fayce
  • 1,346 comments
Man, that Cherokee trim looks weird. Like when people paint diffusers and chin extensions that are black to hide how chunky the design looks.

Last edited:
The coupe version of the '92-'99 Oldsmobile Eighty-Eighty is definitely a forgotten car. I honestly don't ever remember seeing one of these.

upload_2020-10-14_22-7-51.png

I can’t believe that I saw an Unda Achieva in the parking lot today, one in very good condition too. Definitely the first one I’ve seen in at least 5 years (though I’ve seen dozens of Cutlass Cieras during that timeframe). I genuinely thought all of these would be in junkyard by now but boy was I wrong. It’s almost hilarious how out of place this car looks in a sea of CRVs and Explorers and Rogues and the such.

119EC2CD-ADD1-4DCF-8290-77A3DBFDFE3B.jpeg

Last edited:
I can’t believe that I saw an Unda Achieva in the parking lot today, one in very good condition too. Definitely the first one I’ve seen in at least 5 years (though I’ve seen dozens of Cutlass Cieras during that timeframe). I genuinely thought all of these would be in junkyard by now but boy was I wrong. It’s almost hilarious how out of place this car looks in a sea of CRVs and Explorers and Rogues and the such.

View attachment 966078
It looked out of place when it came out. :lol: Like you, though, I haven't seen one in years.

Plymouth TC3. A very forgotten about sports coupe produced from 1979 to 1982. TC3 stood for touring coupe three, with the three referring to its three-door notchback design. Engines were either a 64hp 1.7L VW I4 or an 84hp 2.2L Mitsubishi I4.

cbd6b64320a71a530eb3d89595f6fe5b32312298.jpg

8fb586dbe572a40223714299eb9b9e94b82d193c.jpg

upload_2021-2-6_22-6-48.png

upload_2021-2-6_22-7-28.png

Curiously, it was sold in Japan as well, rebadged as the "Chrysler Omni 024", sold at select Mitsubishi dealerships. Only 1491 were sold.

p1.jpg

Last edited:
I remember those. It was originally the Plymouth Horizon TC3, the just TC3, and then finally Turismo. It lasted through the 1987 model year. Dodge had a companion car, the Omni 024, which was shortened to 024, and then given the Charger name. There was even a turbocharged Shelby version. I seriously looked at the Shelby version of the Charger when I was in the Air Force in the 1980s.

It still surprises me that there was a De Tomaso package for the Omni. I mean it didn't really do anything, but still.
Yup. I think I have posted about that car in one of these threads. Unfortunately, it was nothing more than an appearance package, and a not-so-cheap package at that; it was an additional $1,500 over the 024's $5,200 base price. The measly 64hp engine still stuck around.

1017CHP.jpg

Screen-Shot-2018-04-24-at-10.43.54-AM-1024x677.png

Though, the Omni wasn't the only sporty compact car to carry the De Tomaso name.

There was also the 1983-1989 Innocenti Mini Turbo De Tomaso by Bertone, powered by a 0.9L inline-three making 72hp. These were sold in Italy and a few other Western European nations, but most interestingly, Canada.

innocenti_turbo_de_tomaso_8_0176008503a502b0.jpg

tuning-innocenti-turbo-de-tomaso-01.jpg

Also, the 1993-1998 Daihatsu Charade De Tomaso, a Japan exclusive, meant to be a competitor to the Toyota Starlet turbo. It produced 123hp from a 1.6L I4.

upload_2021-2-7_12-36-30.png

upload_2021-2-7_12-36-38.png

upload_2021-2-7_12-37-16.png

I remember those. It was originally the Plymouth Horizon TC3, the just TC3, and then finally Turismo. It lasted through the 1987 model year. Dodge had a companion car, the Omni 024, which was shortened to 024, and then given the Charger name. There was even a turbocharged Shelby version. I seriously looked at the Shelby version of the Charger when I was in the Air Force in the 1980s.
There was even a Shelby Charger GLH-S, for model year 1987 only. 1,000 were produced. Performance wise, it was no different than the Ferrari-slaying Omni GLH-S, making 175hp from the 2.2L Mitsubishi I4, reaching 0-60 in the mid-6 range. Very quick for the time.

1987_dodge_shelby_charger_1511910045_615x415.jpg

shelby-glhs-mits-starion-deej-scaled.jpg

When Toyota and Nissan made a coupé offerings of their mid sized saloons.

image_0.jpg
IMG_0989.jpeg

I forgot these even existed until someone reminded me of them on Instagram. The Altima one looks like a bizarre mix between the 350Z and Infiniti G35 but without all the exciting driving experience while the Toyota is just bleh.

Oddly, Ir seems that the Accord Coupe were a far more common choice somehow.

Speaking of, I'm quite a fan of the late-model Accord Coupes. Not only were they handsome looking cars, but also pretty capable. It could be had with a 3.5L V6 making 280hp, as well as a 6-speed manual, allowing for a 0-60 of 5.7 seconds.

Quite a shame they were discontinued three years ago. It was the last remaining mid-size coupe that was affordable, and sold decently well too. Then again Honda's lineup is becoming more and more mundane, so it isn't much of a surprise.

upload_2021-2-17_10-57-22.png

2017-honda-accord-coupe-right-side-view-carbuzz-477300.jpg

honda-accord-v6-5-1.jpg

While i'm aware of the first gen Isuzu Piazza thanks to Gran Turismo 4 and Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3, i genuinely forget about the short lived second gen Piazza/Impulse. This is back when Isuzu actually made cars and not just commercial trucks.

1991-Isuzu-Impulse-RS-front-three-quarter-in-motion-02.jpg

pictures-of-isuzu-impulse-coupe-1991-190069.jpg

1991-Isuzu-Impulse-RS-rear-end-in-motion.jpg

These were rebadged as Geo Storms with some changes but more interestingly, the Impulse were also sold as the Asuna Sunfire in Canada.

1993%2BAsuna%2BSunfire%2B01.jpg

1993%2BAsuna%2BSunfire%2B07.jpg

Motorweek just released an old video of them reviewing that said car back when it was new.

This brings me nicely to the Geo and Asüna brand as a whole. Two brands within GM that primarily sold rebadged Asian cars within the States and Canada markets respectfully. I'm not so sure if Geo's were ever sold in Canada but i'm pretty sure Asüna were never sold in the states.

asuna_logo.gif

geo.jpg

Geo consisted mainly of rebadged vehicles from Suzuki, Toyota and Isuzu.

While Asüna served similar purpose in Canada but lasted for far less, ending in 1994.

It seems that Canadian market in general had some interesting cars that weren't sold in the states. One's that i either forgotten about or never even knew before.​

Last edited:
I know this is a double post but yesterday i saw this Cadillac BLS in a rough condition, wouldn't be surprised if it were sent to the Junkyard very soon.

Caddilac BLS.jpg

I honestly tend to forget that GM ever made this, in fact it wasn't even sold in the States nor Canada for some reason. Built on the same chassis as the Saab 9-3, the BLS didn't do that well in the European Market and was eventually discontiuned 5 years later.

Last edited:
Honestly perplexed by the fact that Cadillac never offered this in the US. I think a compact Cadillac would’ve been a strong seller. Basically it’s a CTS but shrunken and with FWD.
I've read a little bit of information about the car and I guess it makes sense that the BLS was only sold in Europe and not in the US. BLS stood for "B-segment luxury sedan" and was created by GM Europe with the goal in mind of establishing Cadillac as a luxury brand in Europe. From the get go, the BLS was never intended for the North American market. Unfortunately, this goal failed, as the BLS's sales were much below expectations, selling roughly 7,000 units in its six years of production. This car was clearly based on the Saab 9-3, and it seems that the only difference between the BLS and the 9-3 is the arts-and-sciences Cadillac exterior styling. Even the interior was carried over from the 9-3 and left virtually unchanged. I think Cadillac learned from the whole Catera debacle that selling a clearly rebadged European car with very little changes is not going to go over well, as the Catera sold very poorly, tarnished Cadillac's reputation, and was one of the most horrible marketing campaigns for a new car in history.

The better question is why they bothered making it at all. There was a context where the Catera might have worked in the US; just not the particularly stupid one they happened to choose.

I can't think of any context where even the idiots running GM pre-bankruptcy really should have thought the BLS would have worked when Saab itself was already failing by then.

Last edited:
I've only seen a Sera once or twice in person, which is somewhat strange considering how much of New Zealand's roads are full of Japanese imports.

Back