The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,789 comments
Bop
FB_IMG_1454004261160.jpg
FB_IMG_1453957465016.jpg
FB_IMG_1453810052233.jpg

Finished that second season of Love Live now.

There's a surprising lot to take in having done it in one go, and a bit more besides at the moment, so I'll take the time to write about it later.

Right. I'm ready to talk about it now.

Like the first season, the second season wasn't perfect as an anime. I knew that would be the case when Honoka took a whole minute to annoy me massively.

I wasn't expecting it to be much good. I sort of knew what the second season was about and thought it'd just be a musical based around shipping. But it was rather more than that and that's great.

I suppose I'll start with a couple more drawbacks, such as - their songs actually annoyed me a little here. Every time a song started it always seemed to be something rather interesting and new, right until it exploded into the same old, same old. This is why the 6th episode annoyed me most of all, because it ended up being absolutely pointless. (Apart from the bit where they impersonate each other - how ****ing hilarious was Eli there?)

All the shipping was totally well and good but it wasn't what I expected at all. I'm well aware of Maki x Nico but it just seems weird how they of all characters get the biggest one. Plus in this anime the points in which it was a thing were all rather disjointed. Eli x Nozomi was better but even I couldn't find myself following it. And Hanayo x Rin, well that's just obvious.

But I know it's not just all about those three ships. Each character has a moment with each other and probably the most unlikely possible combo was part of the anime's best 10 minutes, In fact, some of the best 10 minutes I've ever seen.

Episode 9 was just so damn good. That part where they're in the snow and then the emotion that comes out of it was fantastic. And when Honoka gave Eli that hug...wow, my heart sure fluttered there. And to cap it all off, Snow Halation was probably my favourite piece I've heard so far.

I still don't like Honoka. She has been a serious irritant all the way. But in that moment even I felt for her. I even shut up a little about her for the last episodes. Honestly, if I even liked her at all I'd literally ship Honoka x Eli. But the notion of shipping my least favourite with my favourite is frankly ridiculous. So I won't.

Apart from that, the whole rest of the anime was good in general and provided some proper laughs among the way. Umi had some properly funny moments and the workout scene with Hanayo and Honoka was stupidly hilarious, among other bits here and there.

And since they're what I'm all about with this I'll say about each of the characters. Eli was brilliant as I thought she'd be, proving every inch of the way why she's my favourite. But among the best was Hanayo, who I thought was fantastic all the time. I mean she's not popular but god do I like her. Her mate Rin was a damn sight better in the second season too, seemed so much more relevant. Maki was a disappointment though. She did nothing of significance the whole way.

Umi was mostly just funny, Nozomi was totally fine, although it always surprised me when she got emotional - more than any other, in fact. Nico was, well, Nico, and Kotori was an annoyance with how often she backed up Honoka, who I've already discussed in depth.

So yeah. Pretty great stuff and well worth the 8 I've given it on MAL.

Now I've got to find a window of time in which I can watch the movie...I can do that tomorrow easily.

Last edited:
Everything about Snow Halation is so perfect. The song, the animation during the scene, I love it all.

However, I think people "ship" the characters a bit much. They are just good friends.
12650610_10208542423906372_1623700292_n.jpg

10338855_597622677057789_8692281409428534633_n.jpg

However, I think people "ship" the characters a bit much.
Judging by some of the things I've seen under the 'Love Live' tag on Tumblr (within all the SIF stuff) I think you're right. Even the stuff that is 'right there' so to speak. That part of the fanbase seems pretty mental but luckily I know people who I already follow and post Love Live stuff that is worth my time.

New avatar! Saki from Shinsekai Yori.

Finished that second season of Love Live now.

There's a surprising lot to take in having done it in one go, and a bit more besides at the moment, so I'll take the time to write about it later.

Right. I'm ready to talk about it now.

Like the first season, the second season wasn't perfect as an anime. I knew that would be the case when Honoka took a whole minute to annoy me massively.

I wasn't expecting it to be much good. I sort of knew what the second season was about and thought it'd just be a musical based around shipping. But it was rather more than that and that's great.

I suppose I'll start with a couple more drawbacks, such as - their songs actually annoyed me a little here. Every time a song started it always seemed to be something rather interesting and new, right until it exploded into the same old, same old. This is why the 6th episode annoyed me most of all, because it ended up being absolutely pointless. (Apart from the bit where they impersonate each other - how ****ing hilarious was Eli there?)

All the shipping was totally well and good but it wasn't what I expected at all. I'm well aware of Maki x Nico but it just seems weird how they of all characters get the biggest one. Plus in this anime the points in which it was a thing were all rather disjointed. Eli x Nozomi was better but even I couldn't find myself following it. And Hanayo x Rin, well that's just obvious.

But I know it's not just all about those three ships. Each character has a moment with each other and probably the most unlikely possible combo was part of the anime's best 10 minutes, In fact, some of the best 10 minutes I've ever seen.

Episode 9 was just so damn good. That part where they're in the snow and then the emotion that comes out of it was fantastic. And when Honoka gave Eli that hug...wow, my heart sure fluttered there. And to cap it all off, Snow Halation was probably my favourite piece I've heard so far.

I still don't like Honoka. She has been a serious irritant all the way. But in that moment even I felt for her. I even shut up a little about her for the last episodes. Honestly, if I even liked her at all I'd literally ship Honoka x Eli. But the notion of shipping my least favourite with my favourite is frankly ridiculous. So I won't.

Apart from that, the whole rest of the anime was good in general and provided some proper laughs among the way. Umi had some properly funny moments and the workout scene with Hanayo and Honoka was stupidly hilarious, among other bits here and there.

And since they're what I'm all about with this I'll say about each of the characters. Eli was brilliant as I thought she'd be, proving every inch of the way why she's my favourite. But among the best was Hanayo, who I thought was fantastic all the time. I mean she's not popular but god do I like her. Her mate Rin was a damn sight better in the second season too, seemed so much more relevant. Maki was a disappointment though. She did nothing of significance the whole way.

Umi was mostly just funny, Nozomi was totally fine, although it always surprised me when she got emotional - more than any other, in fact. Nico was, well, Nico, and Kotori was an annoyance with how often she backed up Honoka, who I've already discussed in depth.

So yeah. Pretty great stuff and well worth the 8 I've given it on MAL.

Now I've got to find a window of time in which I can watch the movie...I can do that tomorrow easily.

Really want to read this but haven't seen the second season yet. Liked it in advance though. ;)

Last edited:
I should make a new avatar.

==========

Here's a thought, if those VR + body gear + treadmill gaming rigs take off, one of the first games I would like to see is Attack on Titans.

Go do it! Lots of people say the second season is better. And I can see what they're on about.

sSW4dEp.png

tnAHyU5.png

c1Fwg2w.png

sQKNVn2.jpg

ULmT76A.jpg

4t5ScDX.jpg

eGhZnJQ.jpg

1xjFfk1.jpg
4uqlKl2.jpg

I desperately want to, I need to finish Shinsekai Yori first, though. Damn this 2GB cap!

I believe your Megane is a Clio, by the way. ;)

And now I've finished watching the Love Live movie.
Unfortunately it was all rather disappointing so there's not much to say on it. The first half was all fine but the second half was nothing we haven't seen before. Not surprisingly, it was all mostly Honoka's fault. It's seriously incredible how much she holds back some of the anime.
But luckily there's more than that with Love Live so I don't have to put up with her any more. I suspect I'll move on from it quite soon actually, but for now I'll go look for some of the stuff that might really interest me. And in any case, it's reminded me what a joy it is to go through a new series. I haven't done that for such a long time. So I'd say it's pretty fantastic.

But Rage...what about your compatriot?

E8QANXI.jpg

bmXQFfK.jpg

FLdvZRh.gif

QMkAS1d.gif

X8GuGuo.gif

HD8xuvt.jpg

EYzLerQ.jpg

zQ3nrza.jpg

4uByHiB.png

Avh5IGw.png

9woryhW.png

6IsgseY.jpg

PUIkmO1.jpg

W87BEex.jpg

eisJc1Y.jpg

9JSOBiS.jpg

5IV2jtE.jpg

grUifhD.jpg

kTYScVs.jpg

Yj9gu4i.png

pjq6ASa.png

And before I get done with this, a bit of cute. (Turn on the subs)

Checked out one PV today, the 6th one. Which was awesome (and where those three gifs come from) and the best video of them I've seen without question. Also downloaded some of the music they did that I'd be keen on, like solo and unit work.

I just watched End of Evangelion now and it's left a huge question mark above my head..

So the invasion of the army forces (most likely setup by SEELE I think) provoked the merging of Lillith and Rei, not by Gendo's command but more over Rei's own decision making and Shinji's calling. Rei isn't a programmable robot essentially.

Misato is Misato, no hate on her.

Everything goes to the dogs then suddenly everyone gets raptured and sent into Lillith's egg via Rei and EVA Unit 01.

Super Lillith disintegrates like an old steak & kidney pie. Mankind is pretty much done mate.

Shinji and Asuka are left though the strangling of Asuka I kinda didn't quite get. One thing I did pick up though from that scene was this: Rei takes this omnipotent position after Shinji comes to next to Asuka, what does it mean to me? I see it as the story of Adam and Eve and mankind has to start again.

SEELE was in on it I rate, so it was pretty much their plan. To basically hit reset on mankind.

I wanna see if I'm on the right track. Your own write-ups are welcome.

@TayeezSA

Having watched End of Evangelion 4 times now I'd still struggle to tell you what on earth it was meant to be about. I personally see it as a commentary on how bizarre religious beliefs can seem from an outside perspective, but maybe that's just me.

I much prefer the second half of the film, however incomprehensible it may be, as it's just jam packed with interesting ideas, even if they don't really form into a coherent whole; the scene with Asuka and Shinji in Misato's flat stands out in particular, providing a counterpoint to the kiss scene in episode 15 by simultaneously mirroring and subverting it.

TL;DR: Shinji is a normal person, Asuka is kinda BPD, Misato is Shinji, Rei is sad, Gendo is indecipherable, Yui is magnificent, Fuyutsuki is some bored old dude, Kaworu gets my vote for galactic president, but MAYA IS YOU.

This thread has gotten so much better with the event of @C-ZETA watching Love Live.

I just watched End of Evangelion now and it's left a huge question mark above my head..

So the invasion of the army forces (most likely setup by SEELE I think) provoked the merging of Lillith and Rei, not by Gendo's command but more over Rei's own decision making and Shinji's calling. Rei isn't a programmable robot essentially.

Misato is Misato, no hate on her.

Everything goes to the dogs then suddenly everyone gets raptured and sent into Lillith's egg via Rei and EVA Unit 01.

Super Lillith disintegrates like an old steak & kidney pie. Mankind is pretty much done mate.

Shinji and Asuka are left though the strangling of Asuka I kinda didn't quite get. One thing I did pick up though from that scene was this: Rei takes this omnipotent position after Shinji comes to next to Asuka, what does it mean to me? I see it as the story of Adam and Eve and mankind has to start again.

SEELE was in on it I rate, so it was pretty much their plan. To basically hit reset on mankind.

I wanna see if I'm on the right track. Your own write-ups are welcome.

My write up, even though it sort of doesn't really answer your question:

SVX
So I've been reading up and watching videos of NGE and EoE explanations all day, and I think I have somewhat of a firm grip on actually what the hell I just watched.

This is something I have been meaning to get around to for awhile. It's hyped and regarded as one of the best (or the best) anime ever to be conceived.

Is it the best? No, not by a long shot.

To me, to produce 'the best anime in the world', the quality has to remain consistent throughout the entire series, and until episode 16, the honest thoughts going through my head were 'why am I still watching this?'. The first fifteen episodes simply felt rushed, predictable and flat. They produced almost no meaning and were incredibly predictable, and without much in the way of background for the character's development known, most of the main cast were, well, annoying. Shinji was a baby that cried at the stake of saving the country, Asuka had an ear deafening voice that she used at any possible moment, and Rei was just a thing at that point.

Why did I still continue to keep watching?

I was hooked. With all of these flaws, I had grown a fondness towards the show anyway and, thanks to the old school animation, fell in love with the mood and cinematography that only that period anime can provide. To me it was a cheap thrill at that stage that was engaging to the audience but didn't force complex thinking outside of just watching the anime yet. I enjoyed it for the same reason I enjoyed Initial D. We all knew he was going to win anyway, but how is it going to happen? That's the true reasoning I still found a high level of enjoyment from it even though at face value it was rubbish.

Episode 16 onwards? Pure animated perfection.

Here is where we got to see the deep understanding of what piloting the Evas really does to the physiological system of such a young and immature set of students. Asuka's story, while not the best, was my favorite. This is because of the absolute connection I was able to sustain with the character from then on, even after the pure hatred I had for her a few episodes before. This occurred due to the absolute understanding and similarities I was able to produce from her story of simply not having any faith in ability. This is something I quite often get into on a regular basis after just losing all sense of faith in anything I could do. Her situation really spoke to me and I couldn't help but just feel sorry for her as I could just feel the pain she was going through. For an anime to make me feel sorry for someone I hated not long before is purely commendable.

With Shinji, I couldn't have the same connection. While his ending was incredibly touching, it all felt like a waste of time after seeing how he was portrayed throughout EoE. I thought at the end of NGE he'd be mature, likable and independent, but boy I couldn't be much more off. He continued to be the indecisive whiny brat even after Misato just about got killed rescuing him. He just about destroyed the entire population for the self gain of not being hated by anyone, but decided to change his mind after the realization that getting hurt was something that happens. I still don't know why he decided to kill Asuka in the last scene either.

After watching the explanation videos of the characters, it was very intriguing to see how much detail was actually put in behind some of the lesser featured characters. It was these characters that were my favorites from a conceptual point of view. The workers, even though looking as just fillers without personality, actually had much more of a deep meaning towards their actions, such as the polarized difference between Hyuuga and Ibuki who had affection for one of their colleagues, as seen in the instrumentality scene, where as Shigeru simply had no one. We saw this through the instrumentality scene and how Hyuuga and Ibuki had Misato and Dr. Akagi respectively take them in but a horde of Reis taking in Shigeru, symbolizing there was no one where he completely trusted and loved.

One thing I took away from this was the complete similarity Misato had with Asako from Grisaia. They both wore their hair in the same way, brought a child up (though Asako was much more successful), both love getting drunk and then having sexual intercourse with that child. While there are some differences the similarities are also apparent.

In conclusion I can say I'm glad I finally watched this anime. While I would go as far to say it's not the up most perfection many make it out to be, it's certainly worth praise.

Basically, the ending scenes of EoE was the ignition of Third Impact, begun by the berserk Unit 01 - with the instrumentality project ignited by Rei as she morphed with Lilith, rejecting Gendo. Instrumentality begun, with everyone exploding into LCL, with people doing so via versions of Rei formed as the people they most love/care about/trust. Shinji continues Third Impact with the mentality that humanity must die as no one accepts him. He then learns that in order for people to accept him, he must accept himself. Shinji cancels Third Impact, with the people that have formed into LCL to get the choice of whether they will live again via whether they have the will to do so. The final scene is of Shinji testing Asuka, with her stroking her symbolizing that she does in fact accept Shinji.

This is only my understanding, though.

Speaking of NGE:

tumblr_m6o8jv8za61qmkgrvo1_250.jpg

Need anime recommendations. Favorite genre of anime's is slice of life and yuri

Anime's i seen so far

Girls Und Panzer
Love Live Series
Vividred-Operation
A-Channel
Kantai-Collection-KanColle
Kiniro Mosaic
Non-Non-Biyori-Repeat
Tantei-Opera-Milky-Holmes
Yuru-Yuri

:)

Anime's i seen so far

Girls Und Panzer
Love Live Series
Vividred-Operation
A-Channel
Kiniro Mosaic
Non-Non-Biyori-Repeat
Yuru-Yuri

Ore Monogatari!!, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga ****ai! are some picks.

Anime's i seen so far

Girls Und Panzer
Love Live Series
Vividred-Operation
A-Channel
Kiniro Mosaic
Non-Non-Biyori-Repeat
Yuru-Yuri

SVX
Ore Monogatari!!, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga ****ai! are some picks.

How about Sakura Trick? It's got those things too.

Why is it always me that seems to buck the trends? Probably because I won't shut up about Love Live.

That said, I'll probably be doing a lot of stuff this month that'll stop me from going much further with it. And, as you can see, I've changed my avatar back.

IcMQLM3.gif

AzSpLQa.jpg

cyeZvXC.png

(Leafeon is like a top 5 Pokemon ever btw)
GGGnxhj.png

tPN0wMw.png

Yp2QLEJ.png

GzEg87s.jpg

mDEZmJ2.png

zrshs9w.gif

StNrB3w.jpg

kE8fkO4.jpg

4FIJJBU.jpg

MyL3fTN.png

RPOalFw.jpg

oy7B6j4.jpg

NXYLDAF.jpg

lY1kSLx.jpg

xFVvGEb.gif

Finally, I leave you with the god tier Love Live artist, IMO. Not the one that got me into it, mind, but still, I can't post enough pictures from that artist.

Thanks chaps for the insight.

So the order of films after EoE so far goes like this then?

Death & Rebirth
Eva 1.0
Eva 2.0
Eva 3.0

I did a bit of reading now so from what I can See, because I've seen the original series now, I should skip most of Death & Rebirth except for the last segment. Eva 1.0 skip completely, Eva 2.0 & 3.0, watch those. Does that seem about right?

Oh and one more thing,
giphy.gif

Back